• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He's not as bad as he makes himself out to be (though he did take a people from a kill I scored the dblow on >:eek:). But most of GAF definitely seems to enjoy the "let's make sure nobody else wants this more before grabbing it" loot philosophy, which I tend to prefer. :lol

Damn, I want an 800 damage revolver.

Firehead

Hawkian said:
jrcsoz.png

This works for me.

Also, what's with this -
qqz8nd.png

and
350kzzd.png

No difference, other than the 1 and the handle.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, after i'm finally unlocked... Damn, this game is awesome!

I'm playing as a soldier "solo" (a friend of mine wants me to play a character with him alone, because he has less time than me to play, so i made a different character to play by myself/with others), and damn what a boring class.

NONE of the skill trees sound appealing to me. Sniper has the hawk and the gunslinger tree, lilith has the massive electrical damage, brick has whatever the hell brick has, and the soldier only has interesting support bullshit and more armor?

Boring as hell. :D

Another thing: Anybody knows how the quest thing works? I joined a game that was pretty much my level the other day, but it was too damn laggy and i couldn't play, so i left. When i went back to the singleplayer, i had a finished quest and a 3-4 quests i never picked up. What the hell?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Firehead, you can blow 2/3 of your savings in one shot with the vending machine specials is an item or two catches your eye. It's always nice to have stuff to sell when you get back to a vendor!

I want more inventory slots though. Bring on the Great Claptrap Hunt!

EDIT: A deployable turret that regens health and ammo might bore you, but saves my life on numerous occasions ;P

glaurung

Firehead said:
Once you hit level 20, money seems to come much too easy. For me, at least. So, I don't really have any reason to go after loot that I can't use.
The first time I went to upgrade all my ammo storage slots at the vendor, I lost over 60% of my money (2nd playthrough, amber upgrades).

But I probably have only 4mil to go before hitting the 9,999,999 money award.

2real4tv said:
Comparison:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=15982

better lighting and effects on 360 but better textures on ps3?

That's a great comparison. I almost can't believe it the textures on the PS3 are like ALOT better.

Performance: Unfortunately, the performance wasn’t very impressive on either system. There were some consistent frame issues on both consoles whenever a gun was fired. The PlayStation 3 seemed to tear a few frames for no reason sometimes, and definitely didn’t do so well during the cut scenes. Although the framerate was comparable between the two systems, the Xbox 360 tore less. Overall we gave this win to the Xbox 360.

PlayStation 3 Avg. FPS: 28.57 / Xbox 360 Avg. FPS: 28.72
PlayStation 3 Avg. Frame Tear: 21.71% / Xbox 360 Avg. Frame Tear: 13.79%

Graphics: The graphics comparison was a little interesting. On one hand, the PlayStation 3 had a few sharper, higher resolution textures than the Xbox 360. On the other hand, the Xbox 360 toted some impressive effects that the PlayStation 3 lacked, such as Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO), sharper shadow maps, and a pretty sweet-looking light bloom effect during certain times of the day. Due to the circumstances, we felt that the effects implemented by the Xbox 360 were more CPU-intensive and harder to pull off than the higher resolution textures on the PlayStation 3, so this edge goes to the Xbox 360.

Shoogoo

Hawkian said:
How can you be annoyed by someone being annoyed by something so stupid? :lol

There are lots of sucky things in this game that deserve to be mentioned, but come on, day/night cycle?

+ I'm in a bad mood :D

Saya

Shoogoo said:
There are lots of sucky things in this game that deserve to be mentioned, but come on, day/night cycle?

+ I'm in a bad mood :D

:lol Well, let's just say I have only completed about 10 quests I think. So I'm not that far in. Maybe the day/night cycle will go down on my things that suck list haha.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
God's Beard said:
I feel like gaffers that I've played with aren't good enough at this game. There's not enough selfish loot rage in them, and it's far too easy for me to take advantage. I've noticed that people tend to abandon a lot of valuable loot if they can't use it, and that kinda pisses me off. I'm like, "holy shit you're just leaving all this 5-10K loot lying around? oh my god"

This is why I always have more money than everyone. This game needs to feel more competitive, like the friends that can help you can also steal everything. If there's one thing I want in Borderlands 2, it's the dropping of shared exp.
This is kinda how I feel minus the getting pissed off part.

I have 5 million and I still pick up anything worth more than 15-20k (I also open every box and loot pile)
I MEAN IT'S RIGHT THERE. I DON'T CARE IF IT'S ONLY 145 DOLLARS

You might get lucky.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I learned from the delightful ingame loading screen text that every single gun that Maliwan makes has elemental properties. This solidifies them as my favorite manufacturer for the moment.

Firehead

Hawkian said:
I learned from the delightful ingame loading screen text that every single gun that Maliwan makes has elemental properties. This solidifies them as my favorite manufacturer for the moment.
Wait, there are in-game loading screens? I've been getting a black screen when I load! Now I'm sad ):

bengraven said:
*hugs PC version*
I'll freakin' hug you!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Firehead said:
Wait, there are in-game loading screens? I've been getting a black screen when I load! Now I'm sad ):

I'll freakin' hug you!
Yeap. You get a sliding half screen with a tip.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Reporting in on the 360 patch,

the loading seems to have been cut in half in some places going in and out (I have my game installed to the HDD too)

The controller binds seem to be working faster, all in all good patch, can't wait for them to do other patches.

DrBo42

Anyone down for a Steam playthrough? Just downloaded it. Who thought it was a good idea to have this game run on gamespy? Good god, I can barely connect to anyone.

Edit: Oh right. My steam name is: Drbo

Alex

What the hell is with the 360 textures? It's like they forgot to apply the markerlines on that version. It looks really wrong.

There is no way that either of the console versions have an average of 28 FPS though. Maybe walking around a town, but in actual combat or in some of the hairier dungeons? I wish.

I went in and locked the FPS pinball on my PC because of how erratic it is there too. 50! 60! 45! 50! 60! 40! 50! 60! 40! 60! 40! 55! 60! STOP.

Really sick of UE3. Especially poorly optimized UE3.

Jonsoncao

Banned
avg 28fps my ass :lol

I am pretty sure the last scene has 20fps avg most :lol

maybe they just tested first few missions in the noob town

Cimarron

Is it wrong of me to want them to keep ugrading this game like how Sonic Team did with Phantasy Star Online?

Stuff like:
-Keep increasing the level cap. I loved how in PSO the raised the cap to lvl 200 and how hard and long it took to get there.
-Frequent updates that included new missions levels and items.

This is kinda bringing me back to the good old days of PSO ten years ago. Hopefully this game will have that kind of legs.

Mrbob

Alex said:
What the hell is with the 360 textures? It's like they forgot to apply the markerlines on that version. It looks really wrong.

There is no way that either of the console versions have an average of 28 FPS though. Maybe walking around a town, but in actual combat or in some of the hairier dungeons? I wish.

I went in and locked the FPS pinball on my PC because of how erratic it is there too. 50! 60! 45! 50! 60! 40! 50! 60! 40! 60! 40! 55! 60! STOP.

Really sick of UE3. Especially poorly optimized UE3.

Yeah it can be weird at times on PC, but I'm getting used to it. I hate going between high 30s/low 40s to 50s and 60s sometimes. :lol

I wish there was just an option to lock it down at 30fps until they patch the performance issues.

Hawkian said:
800 revolvers are a joke once you find a repeater with 200 damage and a 21 fire rate.

God's Beard said:
I feel like gaffers that I've played with aren't good enough at this game. There's not enough selfish loot rage in them, and it's far too easy for me to take advantage. I've noticed that people tend to abandon a lot of valuable loot if they can't use it, and that kinda pisses me off. I'm like, "holy shit you're just leaving all this 5-10K loot lying around? oh my god"
If you're not constantly struggling with a full inventory, you're not playing these games right. I agree.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mrbob said:
Yeah it can be weird at times on PC, but I'm getting used to it. I hate going between high 30s/low 40s to 50s and 60s sometimes. :lol

I wish there was just an option to lock it down at 30fps until they patch the performance issues.
You can.

Just set v-sync on in the .ini, or even cap the framerate to 30 (FramerateMax=30)

hulot

DRock said:
What's the issue with her Phase Strike? I'm using her now @ lvl 11 and didn't really notice anything.
You haven't noticed because you don't even have the points to unlock Phase Strike...

The PC interface for this game just fucks me up. So sloppy. That patch can't come soon enough, and I hope they make it a little more user friendly, in addition to a permanent FOV fix.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blast Processing said:
The PC interface for this game just fucks me up. So sloppy. That patch can't come soon enough, and I hope they make it a little more user friendly, in addition to a permanent FOV fix.
I don't see what the big deal is.

Menus work fine, I use the arrow keys perfectly fine.
1-6 changes the top tab.

DrBo42

Not understanding the loot system online. Any asshole in the group can pick up every weapon that drops and leave nothing for anyone else?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hazaro said:
1-6 changes the top tab.

:eek: Helpful, thank you!

I've been clicking on everything. Haven't had any problems not being able to click things to advance as I've seen some people reporting.

Sometimes I feel like things such as clunky interfaces don't bug me as much as they should for whatever reason. I can't remember the last time I mentioned a game's interface in my listing of its negatives.

Actually, yeah, I can. It was when I tried to exit Assassin's Creed on the PC for the first time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mrbob said:
Out of curiosity, where do I add that framerate max option?
WillowEngine.ini

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmootherFrameRate=62

DrBo42 said:
Not understanding the loot system online. Any asshole in the group can pick up every weapon that drops and leave nothing for anyone else?

Don't play with strangers. Wait until you fight a boss in a group of 3 or 4 and one player runs past the boss just to loot undisturbed. :lol :lol

DrBo42 said:

I only play with my friends and we still run into issues sometimes with who gets what loot, especially after everybody got the full 4 weapon slots. To keep things simple I use two simple rules:

1. Host gets first pick. Its his world state thats being affected after all.
2. If people want to fight over an item, let them actually fight over it via a duel.

Of course, you could always keep it simple by going free for all. Makes everybody play like greedy bastards, but it works.

Jonsoncao

Banned
For some nice loots, I always ask my teammates first see if anyone urges to get it, if no one wants it then I ll pick it up

nevar play with strangers, nevar...it is not like Halo you can just mute those angry middle school kids

So im curious about the different characters you can pick. Is it only different skills you get, or do certain weapons "work" better with certain characters ? Im currently playing as Brick and i just end up using anything, whatevers seems more powerfull.

probune

MicVlaD said:

This specific weapon type is AMAZING. I went through the last half of playthrough 1 and a quarter of playthrough 2 with it on a Siren with a +40% SMG damage and SMG ammo regeneration and it destroyed almost everything.

Then I picked up a lv48 Double Anarchy with a x4 bullet per shot and a gigantic clip and used that instead. It's inaccurate as hell but even on a playthrough with lv50-51 guys I can kill them in a second when I phasewalk up to them.

So just last night i was playing with someon and I was actually able to use a particualar gun at my level. level 14. It does 130 damage or around that. I think its a shotgun or combo of shotgun and sniepr rifle. Ill have to get a picture of it later tonight. Isn't that really really good for my level?? I also have a gernade launcher that does 200 somethin damage.

I tend to get online, play with any gaffers that are online(pc) level up then go back to the single player. Its awesome just mowin down enemies like they are nothing with all the stuff im finding playing online. The only actual fun game I was in was with Charsace and some other people the other night. Everyone had mics, everyone was being nice and waiting to look at loot before picking it up, and setting up missions very quickly. I was a level 4 and they were all like 20s, I leveled up soooo fast and they were nice about me playing with them, not all pissed off becaue I would die sometimes.

I get so annoyed when someone just runs around with no mic and doesnt set up the next mission to do.

Ogs said:
So im curious about the different characters you can pick. Is it only different skills you get, or do certain weapons "work" better with certain characters ? Im currently playing as Brick and i just end up using anything, whatevers seems more powerfull.
Every character can use every weapon equally well at base. However, each character has skills you can put points in that improve specific weapons, Brick for example has some that improves rocket launchers. If you pick those, they become even better with those specific weapons.

Hazaro said:
I don't see what the big deal is.

Menus work fine, I use the arrow keys perfectly fine.
1-6 changes the top tab.
I dunno, it could definitely use some improvement. Having to reach across the keyboard to hit arrows/Enter/PgUp/PgDown comes up too often, and Esc seems really overused in weird ways as well. There's also a lot of stuff with the mouse that doesn't feel right to me (not being able to drag items to their equipped slots, inconsistencies with how you can use the scroll wheel, hovering vs. clicking to select).

I'm not sure how I would fix a lot of it, but it definitely doesn't feel as streamlined as it should be for a game that demands this much inventory juggling.

Swag

Artadius said:
Yes, the Hellfire SMG is crazy good... especially if you manage to get one that's scoped and has a large clip.

Is it a boss drop or just something random? I've been on the hunt for a good elemental SMG but nothing is beating my anarchy atm, I feel like I'm under-utilising Lillith cause none of my guns are elemental

Nose Master

Found a pretty hilarious exploit to get more backpack slots. I think. The max is supposed to be 42, right? Cause I'm at 45 right now, and if this exploit keeps working, I can be at 50+ :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
DrBo42 said:

Don't play with strangers, especially kids on XBL.

Nose Master said:
Found a pretty hilarious exploit to get more backpack slots. I think. The max is supposed to be 42, right? Cause I'm at 45 right now, and if this exploit keeps working, I can be at 50+ :lol

HOW? I demand this info!!!!

Swag

Nose Master said:

More space to carry vendor trash :lol

probune said:
This specific weapon type is AMAZING. I went through the last half of playthrough 1 and a quarter of playthrough 2 with it on a Siren with a +40% SMG damage and SMG ammo regeneration and it destroyed almost everything.

Then I picked up a lv48 Double Anarchy with a x4 bullet per shot and a gigantic clip and used that instead. It's inaccurate as hell but even on a playthrough with lv50-51 guys I can kill them in a second when I phasewalk up to them.

Yeah those guns are awesome.

The versions of it I got are better than the ones posted and feel I might be able to use them all the way through the game with my siren.... that is if I ever start over and give them to her..... been carrying them around in my Hunters backpack.... waiting for one day to not be lazy and drop them then sign in with my siren and pick them up.

Top Bottom