• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Rad-

Sebulon3k said:
Is it a boss drop or just something random? I've been on the hunt for a good elemental SMG but nothing is beating my anarchy atm, I feel like I'm under-utilising Lillith cause none of my guns are elemental

Random. Each Hellfire gun has a 100% chance to ignite the enemy so you don't even have to spend points on Spark.

Alex

I only play with friends, but it would be nice if two things happened for drops:

1.) You auto vacuumed up money
2.) You auto vacuumed up bullets for a currently equipped gun-type
3.) A little roll interface for gun drops. (I've yet to have a gun conflict, it'd never happen for me and my friend but it'd save some time and excess clicks depending on situations, and it'd help people in pub servers)

Stopping to pick up all those little items when they explode out of baddies like candy from a pinata can be a pain! But I hate to just leave it sitting there. :( I'm a sad person, I'll squish a monster with the car, and hop out to collect the money, sweet, 22 dollars to add to my 400,000

Random. Each Hellfire gun has a 100% chance to ignite the enemy so you don't even have to spend points on Spark.

Holy shit. I must have one of these.

Grecco

Ogs said:
So im curious about the different characters you can pick. Is it only different skills you get, or do certain weapons "work" better with certain characters ? Im currently playing as Brick and i just end up using anything, whatevers seems more powerfull.

Brick has a whole tree for Rocket launchers if you want that.

i tend to avoid them, and prefer to keep guns with +Melle Damage... Sledges shot gun for instance.

I'm sorry for asking this because I know it's probably been asked a billion times, but can you store weapons/items anywhere in this game? Google was not my friend on this one.

Edit:

Nevermind, I found the answer... :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MomoPufflet said:
I'm sorry for asking this because I know it's probably been asked a billion times, but can you store weapons/items anywhere in this game? Google was not my friend on this one.

Edit:

Nevermind, I found the answer... :(

You eventually get 40+ inventory slots per character.

Shoogoo

Hawkian said:
You eventually get 40+ inventory slots per character.

Yeah about that. On our 2nd playthrough, split-screen, the first claptrap didn't give any backpack sdu, but the second one gave one.

Only to me though, not to my girlfriend. I guess it's a bug?

Jamesfrom818 said:
So has anyone tried out a Siren built around Phase Strike now that its working? I'm wondering how much damage a single melee hit can do now.
I will as soon as I get home from work. I've been wanting to make a melee build since Day 1. :D

ghostmind

Glad the are fixing the starting missions bug - I had that one get me last night when I tried out a Hunter - got to the point of Claptrap trying to open the door to the Doc and he just froze there.

Will try it out tonight and see if it is really fixed.

Hawkian said:
I never do any of those things.

At all :/
Do you just use the mouse for everything?

I get the feeling that they want me to be using a mix of keyboard and mouse in the menus, but then the interface makes doing so really clunky. I dunno, maybe I'm missing some obvious keyboard shortcuts or something, or I just need to remap a bunch of keys.

Cahill

Banned
Shoogoo said:
Yeah about that. On our 2nd playthrough, split-screen, the first claptrap didn't give any backpack sdu, but the second one gave one.

Don't think it's actually a bug. Running co-op the other night same thing happened to me (I didn't get one, other dude did). Some folks have said it seems random. First two or three won't give it up (to total 45 slots) then another one will. *shrug*

Nose Master

Shoogoo said:

The bug seems to work like this: Get all the backpack upgrades on one character, while getting as little as possible on another character. In playthrough 2, make sure the 42 inv slot character turns in the claptrap quests. You should "steal" the second characters backpack upgrade. Seems to only work with claptraps the second character hasn't gotten a backpack from. Splitscreen, btw.

Hobbun

In regards to offline (split-screen) co-op play, can you go through the story mode of the game with a friend? Or is the co-op split-screen play designed seperately from the storymode part of the game?

I really like how Resistance 1 was designed. Where you actually could go through the game with a friend.

hulot

Nose Master said:
Found a pretty hilarious exploit to get more backpack slots. I think. The max is supposed to be 42, right? Cause I'm at 45 right now, and if this exploit keeps working, I can be at 50+ :lol
45 is the max. You get one more backpack upgrade in NG+, the rest of the claptrap missions give you random items. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Jamesfrom818 said:
So has anyone tried out a Siren built around Phase Strike now that its working? I'm wondering how much damage a single melee hit can do now.
It's great. I one-shot regular unshielded goons at lvl 47 and brutes take a little less than half their life bar. A far cry from prepatch gimped dmg levels.

Shoogoo

Nose Master said:
The bug seems to work like this: Get all the backpack upgrades on one character, while getting as little as possible on another character. In playthrough 2, make sure the 42 inv slot character turns in the claptrap quests. You should "steal" the second characters backpack upgrade. Seems to only work with claptraps the second character hasn't gotten a backpack from. Splitscreen, btw.

Would make sense, but we both had all 42 inv slots from playthrough 1.

I now have 45 and she has 42. Not that I wouldn't give her my extra backpack, but I just couldn't drop it :D

Hobbun said:
In regards to offline (split-screen) co-op play, can you go through the story mode of the game with a friend? Or is the co-op split-screen play designed seperately from the storymode part of the game?

I really like how Resistance 1 was designed. Where you actually could go through the game with a friend.
Split-screen is the exact same as single player and online co-op.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hobbun said:

It's all relatively seamless- not only can you play through the whole story in coop, you can go from coop to singleplayer and back with the same character.

rohlfinator, I do only use the mouse 95% of the time. I have my skills tree remapped to z so I can check it quickly, and my inventory key to one of my mouse thumb buttons cause I hated reaching over to I so many times (don't know how I did this in D2, I must have been more patient back then). I've never used the enter key, arrows, or pg up/down once my entire game. I did the mouse scroll .ini tweak before barely any gaming, so that may have assisted me in having fewer issues that people were annoyed with.

Actually, if people are interested, I can upload my config file to simply replace yours, enabling a bunch of features and helpful tweaks. It'd be nice for as many people as possible to have this stuff as when someone else is hosting a game, certain ones (such as being able to toggle third person view) are broken unless the host has them enabled as well. Hopefully gearbox enables as much of this stuff as possible in-game. They did sticky the PC tweaks guide on their forums so hopefully that's a good sign.

Tweaks I have:
Vsync On
MouseSmoothing Off
Default FOV 96 (only applies when hosting or in singleplayer)
F10=FOV 96
F11=FOV 110 (just for fun)
W = FOV 96 in addition to moving forward (no effect when hosting or in singleplayer; in a game I joined it corrects the problem of my FOV resetting after sprint)
F3=First Person View
F4=Third Person View
Holding CTRL is a momentary crouch; C still toggles crouch
MouseWheel menu scroll enabled (never had any problems with this to begin with unlike some, but still did it just in case)

Unfortunately if I did give you the file you'd also get all my customized key bindings and then you'd have to fix stuff to be the way you wanted. I have my action skill mapped to my middle mouse button for example. :p

desertdroog

Not sure if this is a bug or intended.

Joined up on a coop play session with my lvl19 soldier on the 360.

Got a warning prior to joining that the team I was joining up with was either farther ahead in levels or storyline than me (don't remember exactly) but I joined anyways.

It gave me a bunch of quests (I had just left the Arrid area) that included New Haven, Rusty Commons,etc...and endgame quests.

Left the game and the quests are still there. Not a big deal, but I am confused now as to how to progress on which quests. One of them stated for me to go see TK. So I do.
There he is sitting in his chair, with the door open and also there he is hanging from the ceiling.

Ok.

The only real problem outside of that, is some quests are available where they should not be due to me not fulfilling previous questlines to open them. Which has caused spoilers to me from in game characters commenting on the Vault, when I haven't even started that questline.

K' Dash

I think I've had the worst luck to find rare weapons (Orange) only found a repeater that regenerates ammo and sold it cause I have so much better stuff, mi combat rifle kicks so much ass and with the +36% Combat Rifle damage is insane.

Question: where the hell do you find those eridian weapons?, I think I'm nearing the end and haven't seen one.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
desertdroog said:
Left the game and the quests are still there. Not a big deal, but I am confused now as to how to progress on which quests. One of them stated for me to go see TK. So I do.
There he is sitting in his chair, with the door open and also there he is hanging from the ceiling.

Ok.

:lol

Once you get to New Haven you can turn in the quest with him hanging

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
desertdroog said:
Not sure if this is a bug or intended.

It's neither. "Main" quests that actually are related to the progression through "beating" the game are not available to you in the situation that you joined. But sidequests (which may or may not contain spoilers/plot details that don't yet apply to you/shit that won't make sense based on the storyline quests you've done so far) can be obtained at any time. Basically, the disclaimer you got when you joined is warning you to prepare for this. It's a good idea that they did this in my opinion because you can take on side quests and play them and get xp for them even if you're behind in the main story, but you run the risk of getting a bunch of quests in your log that don't seem to make sense. I've got a few of them too, I'm just ignoring them until they apply to me.

SpudBud

Beat this the other day, the end game is kinda disappointing. The last boss and lack of end game content sucks but I guess that's why they have the 2nd playthrough option.

Also, any word on when the DLC is coming out?

Teknoman

borerlands_claptrap_2.jpg
=
Gir.jpg

Even the voice sounds similar.

My thoughts on what should be in a future patch/sequel:

Patch-And this is of VITAL IMPORTANCE. Those pop-up messages need to be made a lot smaller or go away a lot quicker. I was playing a co-op game the other day and the "You can see enemies levels" message popped up and hung around for a good 45 seconds. Doesn't sound like a lot, but one of our team (may or may not have been me) stumbled across a skag nest that, from the looks of things, was home to every single skag in the game. Pop-up blocked a significant portion of my view.

Sequel-
I'd like to see a much bigger emphasis on story. Was really pretty lacking in that regard.

Also like to see interaction in the game between the other characters. Maybe it was because of the co-op that they couldn't do anything with this, but playing the game in single player, four people are on the bus at the beginning, three never to be seen again.

This question has probably been asked a lot before in this thread, but I couldn't find the answer. Are there more environments than the arid desert wasteland and the snowy mountain areas?

There are a lot of items with more than 4 modifiers but the stupid item cards only show 4 max and it's starting to piss me off. It makes it hard to compare items properly.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Raide said:
Can anyone clarify how the Class Mods work? They never seem to do anything, unless its just me messing up. :lol

Their contribution isn't visible in the UI - but it's there. The only thing is, if it gives you a "+2 to [so'n'so] skill" - then that bonus is only active if you have at least 1 point in that skill already. Meaning if you have one point in so'n'so, now with the class mod, it would behave like it was 3 points.

And yes, if you have 5 points, and your mod gives you +3, it behaves like it is +8, so your hawk would attack 9 times for example at +8.

I wonder, given the MMO features, if some of the DLC would be geared towards new quests, areas, etc., similar to an MMO. More content mid and end game, more balancing, new areas that are accessible from current ones...

And the modding/tweaking of this game is exactly why I love my PC version.

GWX

Ikuu said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...with-Unreal-Engine-3-Geforces-ahead/Practice/

Funny to see the 8800GT beating the 4870.

Yeah, NVIDIA is winning this one. It's weird to see a GTX260 faster than a 5870 :lol

As a NVIDIA VGA owner, I'm still not happy with the game's performance. It fluctuates between 30 and 60fps (even if 95% of the time it holds up somewhere between 45 and 60), without any forced MSAA, 1440x900 + 2xAF with a GTS250 512MB + Q6600 @ 2.4GHz.

There are better looking games instaled in my rig with better performance. I hope that the driver updates and game patches make it run better (yeah, I know I'm expecting a bit too much).

Still, the game is awesome, loving the gameplay and the setting. Shame that there isn't any place to stock the rare loot. The inventory is too small for these kind of game genre, even more when playing Torchlight and coming back to Borderlands. Something that I want to be added in a patch too.

Dachande

Oh for fuck's sake, none of us in our house can play together with the PC version. :( Three of us have the Steam version, one has a boxed copy.

LAN just doesn't work - none of us can connect to each other except two of us when I host the game. Going through Gamespy in an online game is unreliable and barely anyone can even get to the lobby, which is ridiculous anyway because we're in the same house.

There HAS to be something wrong with the netcode. Ports and port forwarding shouldn't matter in LAN.

Kinitari said:
Their contribution isn't visible in the UI - but it's there. The only thing is, if it gives you a "+2 to [so'n'so] skill" - then that bonus is only active if you have at least 1 point in that skill already. Meaning if you have one point in so'n'so, now with the class mod, it would behave like it was 3 points.

And yes, if you have 5 points, and your mod gives you +3, it behaves like it is +8, so your hawk would attack 9 times for example at +8.
Has that been confirmed? I swear it feels like Girl Power kicks in even though I don't have a single point in it. Will have to look more carefully once I get home today.

Top Bottom