• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Zzoram

Dead said:
The PS3 patch supposedly made the loading faster, yet its still slow as molasses :|

What else does the patch do? Haven't played since the patch. Did it fix the game-breaking player loses all his skill points bug?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TheFallen said:
Not even necessary. Shock artifact bloodwing can pretty much one shot them. If not, shock weapons rip right through.

"Necessary" is a funny way to go there- some people like to be deadly snipers instead of beastmasters!

Not me

TeTr1C

I'm loving the game so far.

Got a lvl 21 Brawler Berzerker that I'm playing by myself, and a lvl 17 Sniper Hunter I'm playing with a friend. Playing two different styles keeps the game refreshing.

Just got to Dahl Headlands with my Berzerker, Deryl. It looks sweet.

Seventy5

Glad to see this thread still on the first page. Me & my bro have been playing splitscreen PS3 since last wednesday and we've had a blast. There are some stupid, mic-less people online, but I found a few good groups too. Seventy5 if anyone is around 42ish. We're on the 2nd playthrough, and holy crap it's way more intense and tactical. I didn't think anything was going to pull me off of Demon's Souls, but I'm loving this game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheFallen said:
Not even necessary. Shock artifact bloodwing can pretty much one shot them. If not, shock weapons rip right through.
Yeah no.

Shock weapons do better, but it still takes 12. COUNT EM, TWELVE (On guardians, 6 for the flying ones) critical sniper headshots to down the shields. Another 2 or 3 to kill them. Absurd. This is with an x4 shock sniper too.
My x4 fire sniper that does 1.8x the base damage, but does 10-20% less per shot than the shock against their shields.

Keep in mind this is the 2nd play through, the first time I was one shotting everything with my fire sniper.

I was also with 4 people, just brutal. The sniper was 3 shotting them with his pistol.

Hazaro said:
Yeah no.

Shock weapons do better, but it still takes 12. COUNT EM, TWELVE (On guardians, 6 for the flying ones) critical sniper headshots to down the shields. Another 2 or 3 to kill them. Absurd. This is with an x4 shock sniper too.
My x4 fire sniper that does 1.8x the base damage, but does 10-20% less per shot than the shock against their shields.

Keep in mind this is the 2nd play through, the first time I was one shotting everything with my fire sniper.

I was also with 4 people, just brutal. The sniper was 3 shotting them with his pistol.

I used this mainly against them and could take the flying ones out in 3 shots, normally, same for the alpha guardians. The primary guardians I just used a shock shotty and that took them out pretty quickly.

j-wood

What does it mean when you have a gun, and the damage is say 10, but when looking at the stats, a 2x flashes in the damage stat section?

I got myself a sniper that does explosion damage <3

Got another fetch quest. this time it's Combat rifle. I don't want to do anymore weapon quest :lol.

Is there a way to quit a quest? i'm sure I saw it somewhere.

NeoZylom

I think my game is fucked up :( I can't find one of the claptrap. The one you need to talk to before talking to Tannis. Though, I can already talk to Tannis ... And the Claptrap is supose to open me the door to reach tannis ... but he's not there. HELP :(

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone heard when the patch might come to the PC version to fix Lilith's phasewalk melee etc.? It would be awesome if they patched Gamespy stuff to work better but I'm pessimistic.

Sallokin

Finished it this evening as a Level 34 Plaguebearer Siren. Did every single side quest so I guess it's on to playthrough 2. Still need to restart some new characters to get some achievements that didn't pop for me even though I never went online with my first character. Also need to finally hop on some coop once some buddies pick up the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Peronthious said:
I used this mainly against them and could take the flying ones out in 3 shots, normally, same for the alpha guardians. The primary guardians I just used a shock shotty and that took them out pretty quickly.
Second play through.
I could one shot critical the flying ones and 2 shot the land ones on the first go through.

This game has exceeded expectations for me. I did not follow it at all during the dev process and really took a chance on it; glad I did. What a steal for $40.

That's two Gearbox games now this gen that I've really enjoyed. Loved BIA: Hells Highway.

Scott Kevill

Neo Member
Dachande said:
Oh for fuck's sake, none of us in our house can play together with the PC version. :( Three of us have the Steam version, one has a boxed copy.

LAN just doesn't work - none of us can connect to each other except two of us when I host the game. Going through Gamespy in an online game is unreliable and barely anyone can even get to the lobby, which is ridiculous anyway because we're in the same house.

There HAS to be something wrong with the netcode. Ports and port forwarding shouldn't matter in LAN.

Yeah, it's kind of broken right now. Even those that have successfully down port-forwarding are having problems.

People are having the most success now by using GameRanger (which bypasses the GameSpy stuff), and usually don't need their ports opened at all. It will probably get LAN play working for you as well, as it has solved situations like that for others (including scenarios of multiple LAN players playing with internet players).

You can read more about GameRanger + Borderlands on the Gearbox forums in this thread. Gearbox now recommends it as an unofficial solution.

Disclaimer: I'm the developer of GameRanger.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hazaro said:
Second play through.
I could one shot critical the flying ones and 2 shot the land ones on the first go through.
After finishing the 2nd playthrough about all I've done is promontory runs. Everything is a 1-shot kill with sniper rifle or shotgun and 4k-25k exp each. You only need headshots on the buffed ones. Anywhere on the body is ok for the regular fliers and melee units. Makes for good exp, good weapon expertise gain, and plenty of chests to loot. I don't need the exp now that i've capped level and weapon expertise, but I drag along somebody much lower level now and then to get them 5-6 levels quickly and a bunch of weapon expertise.

I'd suggest trying a Malawan Volcano if you haven't, the fire proc ignores shields.

Oh, and once I opened up the ports required I had no problem whatsoever hosting games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Woo-Fu said:
After finishing the 2nd playthrough about all I've done is promontory runs. Everything is a 1-shot kill with sniper rifle or shotgun and 4k-25k exp each. You only need headshots on the buffed ones. Anywhere on the body is ok for the regular fliers and melee units. Makes for good exp, good weapon expertise gain, and plenty of chests to loot. I don't need the exp now that i've capped level and weapon expertise, but I drag along somebody much lower level now and then to get them 5-6 levels quickly and a bunch of weapon expertise.

I'd suggest trying a Malawan Volcano if you haven't, the fire proc ignores shields.

Oh, and once I opened up the ports required I had no problem whatsoever hosting games.
I had 3 Volcano snipers :lol (I've kept one though). I was using that and I was doing shit for damage.

I guess it was the fact we had 4 level 50's going at it?
I really should of recorded it, now I want to go back and see if it's cake or not...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Scott Kevill said:

That is fucking delightful honesty, friend. You are welcome here :D

Sallokin said:
Finished it this evening as a Level 34 Plaguebearer Siren. Did every single side quest so I guess it's on to playthrough 2. Still need to restart some new characters to get some achievements that didn't pop for me even though I never went online with my first character. Also need to finally hop on some coop once some buddies pick up the game.

Play with GAF! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17954859#post17954859

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hazaro said:
I had 3 Volcano snipers :lol (I've kept one though). I was using that and I was doing shit for damage.

I guess it was the fact we had 4 level 50's going at it?
I really should of recorded it, now I want to go back and see if it's cake or not...

If you have 4 people in it it doesn't really matter what gun you use, everything is going to take a lot more to kill. The volcano I use has 200-250 less base damage than the highest damage sniper rifle I've found but the incendiary proc makes up for that against anything not fire-resistant.

The final boss on 2nd playthrough with a full team is just horrible. I was doing 20k per shot on it and the health bar wasn't even moving. That encounter is so unrewarding in multiple different ways.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Woo-Fu said:
If you have 4 people in it it doesn't really matter what gun you use, everything is going to take a lot more to kill. The volcano I use has 200-250 less base damage than the highest damage sniper rifle I've found but the incendiary proc makes up for that against anything not fire-resistant.

The final boss on 2nd playthrough with a full team is just horrible. I was doing 20k per shot on it and the health bar wasn't even moving. That encounter is so unrewarding in multiple different ways.
Well I just hopped back on single player and it's near exactly the same as the firs time I went through (My shock now one hits air yay!) but now there are level 51's :lol

I found the last boss to be fine, out team took it down pretty quickly.
Was brutal with 4 people, the shields are buffed so much.
*Finished going through it again solo. Amazing how much easier it was.

NeoZylom said:
I think my game is fucked up :( I can't find one of the claptrap. The one you need to talk to before talking to Tannis. Though, I can already talk to Tannis ... And the Claptrap is supose to open me the door to reach tannis ... but he's not there. HELP :(
same thing happend to me you went through the wrong entrance, and just passed him up its in new haven.

Is anyone up for doing some co-op? I am pretty low(around lvl 10) but the game is a little bit boring in single player, at least for me.

If you want to just add me: BudokaiNinja

Xboxlive btw

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Scott Kevill said:
Yeah, it's kind of broken right now. Even those that have successfully down port-forwarding are having problems.

People are having the most success now by using GameRanger (which bypasses the GameSpy stuff), and usually don't need their ports opened at all. It will probably get LAN play working for you as well, as it has solved situations like that for others (including scenarios of multiple LAN players playing with internet players).

You can read more about GameRanger + Borderlands on the Gearbox forums in this thread. Gearbox now recommends it as an unofficial solution.

Love your application, man. I use it often.

Blizzard

Banned
Zapperkhan said:
I think that was you Blizzard. Was fun! :lol at Moe and Marley
Oh hey! Thanks for hosting, I didn't have much lag.

And yeah, Moe and Marley only took us what...10-15 respawns all told? :lol

Blizzard said:
Oh hey! Thanks for hosting, I didn't have much lag.

And yeah, Moe and Marley only took us what...10-15 respawns all told? :lol
Haha yea. I think our main problem was lack of ammo. Good to hear about the lag :)

Dougald

Picked up the steam version yesterday and I really enjoyed it (after patching out some of the really poor PC design decisions) - the Netcode is horifically buggy, but one you actually get a game going its thoroughly enjoyable - hopefully there will be a PC patch eventually as I'm really enjoying the game despite its problems, and it would be a shame to leave it in the state its currently in

Scott Kevill

Neo Member
xxjuicesxx said:
Well then go fix your shit when I try and install it it says Adobe Flash Player must be installed. It is installed.

Sorry about that, that's the Adobe website trying to be clever and auto-detect what you need.

You need the Active-X Flash control here.

Update: That direct link wasn't in the app because it looked like a fragile link that Adobe would change, which would have been bad to hardcode into it. I've updated the app to go via a redirect on the GameRanger website, so this will no longer be an issue.

Shoogoo

I've bought this gem out of a vending machine. Wish I'd found it on the ground, oh well.

13348_169692602179_541927179_2732742_1303007_n.jpg

Bought it for $830000 or something. Damage is 98*11 and it shoots in a cross pattern with the intersection of the cross being at the exact position of the center :D if you aim right, the enemy takes a lot of projectiles with just one shell. It has an awesome accuracy and a zoom that makes my sniper rifle cry. It's not in the 4-line description but it also has a bonus on the number of projectiles (I guess, because SBS Munitions have larger clips but I never saw a shotgun with that much projectiles)

Do I love it? YES, I do :D
Reload is a tad slow, but with 16 shells there are generally no enemies left around when I reload.

Hey... I after I recieved some update today. I noticed that the phasewalk for siren is a little different now. Before, if lilith was to phase walk and then Melee, the phasewalk would end instantaneously. Now, after a melee during a phasewalk, there is a slight delay before the phasewalk ends. I don't know if it makes a big deal in terms of damage, but i know it's damned annoying.

gundamzeta209 said:
Hey... I after I recieved some update today. I noticed that the phasewalk for siren is a little different now. Before, if lilith was to phase walk and then Melee, the phasewalk would end instantaneously. Now, after a melee during a phasewalk, there is a slight delay before the phasewalk ends. I don't know if it makes a big deal in terms of damage, but i know it's damned annoying.
I'm not sure on specifics as I haven't played as Lilith, but I think I read somewhere that originally Lilith's phasewalk only did a quarter of the intended damage. Now its 'normal'.

Yasser

man, i was so excited when i got my 1st epic (the boneshredder iirc) but then 10seconds later i find a green smg that blows it out the water >_<

Yasser said:
man, i was so excited when i got my 1st epic (the boneshredder iirc) but then 10seconds later i find a green smg that blows it out the water >_<

A lot of it comes down to the level of the weapon and whether the bonuses really translate into something useful. Masher Revolvers, even mediocre ones, are often better than blue and epic single shot revolvers, for example.

Dunlop

crap, I think my game is bugged, I'm at lvl 27 on 360.

I was joining a friend who was about 1 step ahead of me on the main story line (Find Tanaris-->I think I was at "Clearing the path"?), we did the boss fight (my marker said I was not eligable).

When I log back in, I do not seem to have the main storyline quest

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So uhh... I got some friends to buy the game on PC and we simply cannot connect to each other when any of us host private matches. A quick google search leads me to believe that this is an extremely widespread problem. Are there any tried and true workarounds for this yet?

MrDaravon

Shoogoo said:
I've bought this gem out of a vending machine. Wish I'd found it on the ground, oh well.

13348_169692602179_541927179_2732742_1303007_n.jpg

Bought it for $830000 or something. Damage is 98*11 and it shoots in a cross pattern with the intersection of the cross being at the exact position of the center :D if you aim right, the enemy takes a lot of projectiles with just one shell. It has an awesome accuracy and a zoom that makes my sniper rifle cry. It's not in the 4-line description but it also has a bonus on the number of projectiles (I guess, because SBS Munitions have larger clips but I never saw a shotgun with that much projectiles)

Do I love it? YES, I do :D
Reload is a tad slow, but with 16 shells there are generally no enemies left around when I reload.

I've got the Level 48 or so version of this (I think the damage is around 147*11 with x3 Explosion), and even with my Siren who only has a Shotgun proficiency of 10 or so, I completely decimate stuff if it gets near me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I tried opening some ports, but it didn't work at all. Everything worked fine when we hosted public games, but that is hardly a solution. I swear this has to be the worst interface in a PC game of this type ever. Everything about it is just quite awful. Fun game, though!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zefah said:
I tried opening some ports, but it didn't work at all. Everything worked fine when we hosted public games, but that is hardly a solution. I swear this has to be the worst interface in a PC game of this type ever. Everything about it is just quite awful. Fun game, though!
Instead of starting an actual game and inviting a player, try to create a private lobby and inviting your friends. I've had success that way (with the open ports). Inviting people to a game you're already playing never works for me.

Also, make sure you properly routed all 4 necessary ports. Don't forget to kill Windows Firewall, the most useless firewall ever created.

There's also the issue of the router. Some routers have a hardcap on port 9999 and you can't manually port forward ports higher than that. For these routers, you need UPnP support. In that case, this post will help you: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1616479&postcount=278

Also, make sure your IP is static.

Edit: there's also reports of port 28902 being necessary, even tho it's nowhere in the readme. Some other player reported that adding port 29900 fixed everything for him. In here, it works with the regular 4 ports mentioned in the readme only.

Dougald

I always seem to have to start a public game, invite my friends, then leave the game when they have joined, start a private game and invite them that way

Seems to work every time, but I have no idea why

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, while playing with my soldier, I found a class mod that I won't ever use (+2 defense, +1 team shield regeneration). I wasn't going to sell it just yet (maybe drop to a friend online or change my skill points around), but then I saw this for sale:

ItemCard00000.jpg

I'm only level 17, but it's the first "good" item i found. I sold my class mod whateverness and bought that instead. Now with a skill respec, i'm finally having some fun playing as soldier.

Top Bottom