• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Mr. Snrub said:
See, thats the thing, there are plenty of shotguns and pistols with 2.4X, up to 4x magnification. I don't get it.

Not to mention the shotguns with 4x mag generally have like 20-30 accuracy. :lol

Unicorn

Peronthious said:
Not to mention the shotguns with 4x mag generally have like 20-30 accuracy. :lol
Eh, my old acid shotgun had 3.8x zoom and an accuracy of 70%. I could fucking snipe with it and it was glorious.

GLORIOUS!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think rockets suck either, but I think they suffer more than any other class of weapons from "diablo-style weapon suck syndrome," that is, that 90% of the ones you find will be crap, but since it's a goddamn rocket launcher you expect to pick it up and have it do tons of damage.

Thank you, God's Beard, for the triple launcher that replaced my quintuple; slower fire rate and fewer shots but lots more damage and 93 accuracy rules.

I also found my first legendary last night, a Detonating Bulldog. Damage was a little disappointing but 20 shots with 3x explosions on a shotty with 1.6 fire rate (compared to my previous .5) is pretty damn usable for a few levels.

oh god. i found the barrel. They really do spawn at random spots. i'm not trusting waypoints anymore :lol.

The sniper wasn't even worth doing :lol.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Unicorn said:
Personally I think Old Haven is a better farming town.

...well, the difference between Old Haven and New Haven is that you get shot at in one of them.:lol

The real issue with rockets is that they travel slower than any other projectile weapon and few of the mobs in this game sit still unless they're in really good cover. You can overcome this somewhat with AoE and the right skill selection.

Hawkian said:
Aren't there little icons on your compass that point to EXACTLY where the items are?

yep but that didn't work. the item ended up spawning somewhere else other than the exact area where the waypoint was. the item was a bit further north than it should have been. i even looked on the map to see the location.
Because all the other item was where it was suppose to be.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The first couple scavenger missions the marker moves. All the rest it just marks the general area. I like that it doesn't pinpoint the location. WTF is the point of a scavenger hunt when you have a magic radar that points out exactly where the items are? That just turns it into another step and fetch it quest.

Gamers are a bunch of crybabies nowadays, lol. Ten years ago you wouldn't even have a minimap, much less markers on it for every item you needed.

Haunted

drizzle said:
So, while playing with my soldier, I found a class mod that I won't ever use (+2 defense, +1 team shield regeneration). I wasn't going to sell it just yet (maybe drop to a friend online or change my skill points around), but then I saw this for sale:

ItemCard00000.jpg

I'm only level 17, but it's the first "good" item i found. I sold my class mod whateverness and bought that instead. Now with a skill respec, i'm finally having some fun playing as soldier.
Quick Health Regeneration?

FFFUUUUUU

Woo-Fu said:
Gamers are a bunch of crybabies nowadays, lol. Ten years ago you wouldn't even have a minimap, much less markers on it for every item you needed.
word. Back in my day we had to draw maps ourselves. With our own blood. Because inkpots were just too damn expensive.

Shoogoo

Haunted said:
word. Back in my day we had to draw maps ourselves. With our own blood. Because inkpots were just too damn expensive.

I still have my games manuals full of jackshit at the end under the "Notes" thing

Hawkian said:
I don't think rockets suck either, but I think they suffer more than any other class of weapons from "diablo-style weapon suck syndrome," that is, that 90% of the ones you find will be crap, but since it's a goddamn rocket launcher you expect to pick it up and have it do tons of damage.
But that's the thing. The loot gods have blessed me with the most amazing rocket launcher I've ever seen, and I still think it's not as efficient as every other weapon.

2438 damage with x4 incendiary
88 accuracy
0.8 fire rate (which is irrelevant due to the next point)
"Monster Kill!" red text which makes it shoot all 4 rockets in the clip at the same time, making a single super rocket worth 9752 damage.

I don't know. Maybe I just don't know how to use rockets correctly.

Liquid Helium said:
Ok, I just completed the game and can someone explain to what happens at the end? What is up with the satellite and what was in the vault?

The ending
is worse than Halo 2 and Crysis combined, that's what.

Nome

So, for those people saying we shouldn't expect too much from the maps, you're getting it wrong!

It's not that we expect too much--it's that the map isn't consistent. Every mission except for Scavenger missions pinpoint exactly where the objective is. Therefore, it's only natural to assume that Scavenger waypoints will do the same. So if you're not aware that the waypoints aren't exact, you think like many of the people do in this thread and elsewhere--"my game must be bugged!" The problem is the lack of consistency, and it doesn't help that some of the Scavenger waypoints are good, but others aren't.

Grecco

Liquid Helium said:
Ok, I just completed the game and can someone explain to what happens at the end? What is up with the satellite and what was in the vault?

Basically your character was being manipulated by rival corporations to access the vault. Eventually the freaky human looking angel wins but you dont know what was in it. Setting up for dlc and a sequel obviously. Hopefully Claptrap Ninja Assassin is a boss in the dlc. :lol

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I don't know how people complain about the story. Playing a loot game for the story was your first mistake.

I agree, and I still enjoyed the game, but
it really did end abruptly. At least show me a vault or something. The way it ended has me thinking that there's no vault and the bitch in the sky just wanted the monster dead or something, which is still pretty lame, but at least a bit interesting.
edit:
Grecco said:
Basically your character was being manipulated by rival corporations to access the vault. Eventually the freaky human looking angel wins but you dont know what was in it. Setting up for dlc and a sequel obviously. Hopefully Claptrap Ninja Assassin is a boss in the dlc. :lol

That makes a bit more sense.

I'll agree that I felt very unrewarded. All you get is a couple hundred thousand dollars your first playthrough, and like a million after your second. The destroyer should have had crazy drops. Like, at least a few guaranteed orange drops.

Grecco

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I'll agree that I felt very unrewarded. All you get is a couple hundred thousand dollars your first playthrough, and like a million after your second. The destroyer should have had crazy drops. Like, at least a few guaranteed orange drops.

Other than boss related items. Sledges Shotgun, Kroms sidepeace i havent gotten good loot from any boss.

Nome

Bosses never drop good loot unfortunately. I actually ended up selling every single piece of boss loot I got the second I got them. Most of them are pretty gimmicky, like the Elephant Gun. Really now, a sniper without a scope?

But hey, welcome to the age of DLC. All the endgame quests we're accustomed to in most loot games will now cost money :(

Grecco said:
Other than boss related items. Sledges Shotgun, Kroms sidepeace i havent gotten good loot from any boss.
I've only ever seen one orange dropped from any enemy. Enemy drops are bad, but I think I understand the reason behind it. I think since it's mostly an action game they don't want to slow things down with people staring at the floor looking for loot. Still, that doesn't excuse awful boss drops.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Haunted said:
Quick Health Regeneration?

FFFUUUUUU

Those quick regen shields are rigged, I have that same one but its blue.

I have kept it for future lowbie chars.

Nome

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I've only ever seen one orange dropped from any enemy. Enemy drops are bad, but I think I understand the reason behind it. I think since it's mostly an action game they don't want to slow things down with people staring at the floor looking for loot. Still, that doesn't excuse awful boss drops.

Well, loot does have that beam of light coming up that indicates what level it is. So you can spot an orange drop from really far away.

What's really annoying is that the god-tier weapons--the ones better than orange--are white. I only have one of them, but I got it from a chest and nearly dismissed it if I didn't check to see if there were any red text in its description.

Grecco

Casval said:
Bosses never drop good loot unfortunately. I actually ended up selling every single piece of boss loot I got the second I got them. Most of them are pretty gimmicky, like the Elephant Gun. Really now, a sniper without a scope?

But hey, welcome to the age of DLC. All the endgame quests we're accustomed to in most loot games will now cost money :(

I used it a bit. It deals a ton of damage.

Nome

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I'm thinking those higher-than-orange white weapons are glitched, because every one I've seen has been a terrible Thanatos repeater pistol. Evey one.

Hmm, good point--the one I have is a Thanatos as well. It's not completely terrible though :lol

Googled it, from the official forums by a member:
What tordana said is right. There is only VeryCommon, Common, Uncommon, Uncommoner, Rare, VeryRare and Legendary weapons in the game.
That would be White, Green, Blue, Purple, Yellow, Orange and Dark Orange.

"Pearl" weapons are most definitely a bug. Most likely caused by invalid combinations of parts, which gives the weapon a rarity outside of what is acceptable (could be below verycommon, or above legendary).
They are most likely sorted at the top due to the sorting algorithm that is used. They need to be placed somewhere, so it is placing them at the top (another algorithm could have just as easily placed them at the bottom).

That's actually quite disappointing, since I have a ton of Dark Orange. I was hoping there would be a super ridiculously rare sort of thing going on :(

Nome

BamYouHaveAids said:
Does the loot scale go gold>orange>purple>blue>green>white? Where exactly do the gold or yellow weapons fit?

Dark orange > orange > light orange/yellow > purple > blue > green > white

Your inventory automatically sorts 'em out.

Prezhulio

Casval said:
Everyone says they do--it just doesn't show it.

innnnnteresting. this changes somethings then. i'm really happy that respec doesn't cost a lot of money (and i seem to never be short on money anyways)

Dipper145

DMPrince said:
Really? mine moved the the next item in the quest.
No it didn't.

But they are shown on your compass anyway as money bags when you are near enough to it. The quest marker just marks the general area. You have to look around in that area for the pieces. The quest marker doesn't move at all. Moving around the marker until you see money bags on your compass helps then you can go investigate. Although you can get confused if you opened a chest but didn't take the loot as it will show up as a money bag too.

elektrixx

Banned
The extra fine folks at Giant Bomb made my review the latest featured user review. It's on the bottom of their front page right now!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Casval said:
Well, loot does have that beam of light coming up that indicates what level it is. So you can spot an orange drop from really far away.

What's really annoying is that the god-tier weapons--the ones better than orange--are white. I only have one of them, but I got it from a chest and nearly dismissed it if I didn't check to see if there were any red text in its description.

I can't tell the beam of light for orange weapons from that for worthless money. As far as those white weapons with red text, I've had 3 of them and all of them suck. I don't think they're some special tier, I think they're either a) bugged, or b) regular white weapons that hit that one in a million chance to get a red text attribute.

kylej

Banned
this is the first time in my life that I have starting replaying a game immediately after I beat it. playthrough 2 is so good.

Top Bottom