• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

BigAT

Does anyone have a good resource to find soundbytes from the game? I desperately want to make the ClapTrap's "HAH HA!" the text message alert for my cell phone.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Loudninja said:
I just found a shock artifact I guess these are rare?

Relatively. I never had to actively farm them until I wanted level 6 artifacts and that was after finishing the 2nd playthrough anyways. Other people trying to do that might want to check out the top bit of Descent, it has 2 red chests, 2 flying mobs and 1 ground mob. The ground mob is usually a badass and often drops level 6 artifacts. You can repeat that over and over quite quickly.

If it is for your class try to use it. If it is higher level than the last shock artifact you used or if it is the first you've used it will raise your elemental ability to its level. From the character screen you can pick which element to use and review the levels of each that you've acquired so far. I don't know about other classes but for Mordecai it changes the attack element of h is pet.

AKS

I got Borderlands in the buy 2 get 1 free deal. This is so much better than I expected. I'm having quite a time with this game and love how they seemed to forget about trying to have the most technically impressive game and just make it awesome.

Loudninja

Woo-Fu said:
Relatively. I never had to actively farm them until I wanted level 6 artifacts and that was after finishing the 2nd playthrough anyways.

If it is for your class try to use it. If it is higher level than the last shock artifact you used or if it is the first you've used it will raise your elemental ability to its level. From the character screen you can pick which element to use and review the levels of each that you've acquired so far. I don't know about other classes but for Mordecai it changes the attack element of h is pet.

Its adds shock damage to my turret, but I use it and just got a fire one.The artifacts seems to improve you skill as well so I should just keep using them?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Loudninja said:
Its adds shock damage to my turret, but I use it and just got a fire one.The artifacts seems to improve you skill as well so I should just keep using them?

Just pick whichever element works best for what you're fighting. The selection icon is in the top left area of the skill tree screen. I didn't really bother with it as I hardly ever used the pet with my build. Pet has horrible pathing/targeting anyways.

Firestorm

Loudninja said:
You can change it at any time in the skills window.

Fire: Good for bringing down HP.
Shock: Good for bringing down shields.
Corrosive: Good for bringing down physical armour.
Explosive: I have no idea.

Woo-Fu

Banned
One thing I like about explosive over the other three is that it delivers its damage all at once instead of as a DoT. Then again, I don't think I've come across a 4x explosive lvl 48 sniper rifle worth using.

Woo-Fu said:
Just pick whichever element works best for what you're fighting. The selection icon is in the top left area of the skill tree screen. I didn't really bother with it as I hardly ever used the pet with my build. Pet has horrible pathing/targeting anyways.

The pet can also consistently one shot 6 enemies every 15 seconds.

Firestorm said:
You can change it at any time in the skills window.

Fire: Good for bringing down HP.
Shock: Good for bringing down shields.
Corrosive: Good for bringing down physical armour.
Explosive: I have no idea.

Explosive has a radius of effect.

Firestorm

Woo-Fu said:
One thing I like about explosive over the other three is that it delivers its damage all at once instead of as a DoT.
I <3 DoT. I'm thinking of going with Fire for my Phasewalk and using the Shock +5 skill on Lilith. So I should be able to destroy shields while walking in, burn them as I come out to Melee with Phase Strike, and shoot something to get back into another Phasewalk.

Woo-Fu

Banned
TheHeretic said:
The pet can also consistently one shot 6 enemies every 15 seconds.

My pet can't consistently kill 1 enemy, given unlimited time to do so. It just depends on your spec. :) It is basically a finishing move for me if I'm in a wide open area. Indoors all it does is block my view while it tries to fly through solid walls to get to a target.

I only have a couple pet skills and one of them was just a stepping stone to a skill I really wanted.

Sniper Talents - 30 point(s)

# Focus - rank 5/5
# Caliber - rank 5/5
# Killer - rank 5/5
# Loaded - rank 5/5
# Carrion Call - rank 5/5
# Trespass - rank 5/5

Rogue Talents - 10 point(s)

# Swift Strike - rank 5/5
# Fast Hands - rank 5/5

Gunslinger Talents - 5 point(s)

# Deadly - rank 5/5

Woo-Fu said:
My pet can't consistently kill 1 enemy, given unlimited time to do so. It just depends on your spec. :) It is basically a finishing move for me if I'm in a wide open area. Indoors all it does is block my view while it tries to fly through solid walls to get to a target.

Yeah only if you spec into it, but its by far the Hunters best spec as Bird of Prey is the best talent in the game in terms of escalating effectiveness and doubly so considering the synergy it has with bonus damage/speed, life steal and crowd control.

The Sniper tree is junk in my honest opinion, Rogue is where the power is and Gunslinger just happens to be better than the Sniper tree so most people go into that.

Wag

This game much like Fallout 3 needs a whole Wiki site devoted to it. I'm sure, many of us have no clue how to get the most out of what weapons/mods we are using.

TheHeretic said:
Yeah only if you spec into it, but its by far the Hunters best spec as Bird of Prey is the best talent in the game in terms of escalating effectiveness and doubly so considering the synergy it has with bonus damage/speed, life steal and crowd control.

The Sniper tree is junk in my honest opinion, Rogue is where the power is and Gunslinger just happens to be better than the Sniper tree so most people go into that.

Is the sniper tree bad even if you're using a sniper most of the time? Unless I'm up against Skags (oh how I hate them) I'm using my sniper rifle, so I figured I should put my points in the sniper tree :|

Woo-Fu

Banned
TheHeretic said:

Keep telling yourself that. :) I've yet to see anybody with a pet that could do more than scratch a badass bruiser.

You think Sniper is crap, I know I kill most targets in 1-hit and hard targets in 3-4. Buffed accuracy, buffed rate of fire, buffed reload, I shoot just about any sniper rifle as fast as I can find targets to kill. I can see how the pet would be a lot more useful for console players. ;)

GWX

BigAT said:
Does anyone have a good resource to find soundbytes from the game? I desperately want to make the ClapTrap's "HAH HA!" the text message alert for my cell phone.

Yeah... :D

Would like the "I'm dancing, I'm dancing!" bit. I makes me LOL everytime :lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wag said:
This game much like Fallout 3 needs a whole Wiki site devoted to it. I'm sure, many of us have no clue how to get the most out of what weapons/mods we are using.
Borderlands loot setup isn't remotely similar to Fallout 3 though.

Most things are just random. Just play, have fun, and collect loot. It's supposed to be simple.

funkmastergeneral said:
Is the sniper tree bad even if you're using a sniper most of the time? Unless I'm up against Skags (oh how I hate them) I'm using my sniper rifle, so I figured I should put my points in the sniper tree :|

The problem with the Sniper tree is it doesn't make you all that much better with Sniper rifles. Everything up to Trespass is entirely forgettable as the bonuses are marginal. The rogue tree (which is overpowered) makes you bird essentially over 10x more effective, as it can hit up to 6 targets, does bonus damage, steals life for you, and dazes enemies it can't kill (and it kills most of them instantly at equal level).

The gunslinger tree isn't amazing either but with a Masher + Gun Crazy you are shooting 14 revolver rounds 40% of the time. Throw in predator for a 50% reduction in your Hawks cooldown and you become far more powerful than any other possible combination.

Woo-Fu

Banned
At higher levels the pet doesn't 1-hit anything that isn't already half dead. I just checked the tree again and I already have the skill that increases pet damage. I could see the daze coming in handy, but the pet is shorter range than many of the enemies I fight.

My analysis is that the pet tree provides utility that I've duplicated with gear instead, whereas the sniper tree buffs my damage against everything, all the time.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The trick to bloodwing is to shoot something within reasonable range and he'll chase, he wont chase anything that's way out too far though but at least if you get him started and start looking at secondary targets he'll keep rolling.

Woo-Fu said:
At higher levels the pet doesn't 1-hit anything that isn't already half dead. I just checked the tree again and I already have the skill that increases pet damage. I could see the daze coming in handy, but the pet is shorter range than many of the enemies I fight.

My analysis is that the pet tree provides utility that I've duplicated with gear instead, whereas the sniper tree buffs my damage against everything, all the time.

I don't know where the console player line came out, i'm a PC gamer. Your analysis is incorrect, mathematically the gains from the Rogue tree are vastly superior to the gains in the Sniper tree. Its not even a contest. If you like the sniper tree by all means use it, I don't really care, but its blatantly obvious if you want to power spec where you should spend your points.

You aren't going to be able to deal as much damage with a Sniper as I can with my bird out. We can both use sniper rifles, if the bird can't single shot an enemy it slows it down to a crawl for easy headshots. Being slightly more effective at killing one enemy doesn't compare to being ridiculously better at handling multiple enemies.

The reason you don't see the bird as being that good is because you probably haven't used it, whereas my original spec was the Sniper line. With a good class mod your bird does an extra 80% damage from Swift Strike +40% or so damage from the innate bonus. That with 6 targets does more damage than anything else in the game, from any class.

If you want to take the argument even further a corrosive bird weakens every target it hits to physical damage so i'm already getting damage bonuses, or I can put an explosive mod on it to do AoE damage.

Deadly

Woo-Fu said:
Speaking of nice loot, check these out:
A massive shield.

20rlhcg.jpg

A backup sniper rifle for things that a Volcano will not burn. The level req on the rifle is after adjustment(I dumped that screenshot while wielding the rifle).

2hhlxjp.jpg

How and where are you getting this amazing loot?!

Wag

Dance In My Blood said:
Borderlands loot setup isn't remotely similar to Fallout 3 though.

Most things are just random. Just play, have fun, and collect loot. It's supposed to be simple.
Well the loot system is random, yes. But you can't honestly say all this discussion here is for naught? Obviously the numbers must mean something?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
...maybe there is more than one viable build? I don't even have bird of prey yet, but with my class mod my bloodwing does above half-hp dmg to a badass bruiser at my level, and fully heals me.

thought id just chime in for 2 seconds.
Finished the game yesterday...well 1st playthrough at least.

Level 36 Mordekai
(ps. thanks to the 200 random level 3 people that filtered in and out of my game constantly while i was on the last 2 hours of the game. i hope you enjoyed your powerleveling)

Last boss was a complete letdown. took about 30 minutes to kill and droppped all whites....is this normal? anyhow game is 99.9% awesome aside from that

Peace

Hawkian said:
...maybe there is more than one viable build? I don't even have bird of prey yet, but with my class mod my bloodwing does above half-hp dmg to a badass bruiser at my level, and fully heals me.

Depends on your standards for what constitutes viable.

This is the best shield I found.

Color: Blue
Level Requirement: 48
Name: AN52 2005 Harmonious Ambush
Capacity: 988
Recharge Rate: 247

My buddy had it, I really liked it for its high recharge rate. I found that recharge rate is better than capacity in combat.

Marshmellow said:
thought id just chime in for 2 seconds.
Finished the game yesterday...well 1st playthrough at least.

Level 36 Mordekai
(ps. thanks to the 200 random level 3 people that filtered in and out of my game constantly while i was on the last 2 hours of the game. i hope you enjoyed your powerleveling)

Last boss was a complete letdown. took about 30 minutes to kill and droppped all whites....is this normal? anyhow game is 99.9% awesome aside from that

Peace

Seems to be the case. In a game like this I would expect superior loot to drop from bosses, but all I've ever gotten is crap. Farming those red chests seems to be where its at.

Jonsoncao

Banned
For those of you who r curious about where to get amazing loots

finish playthrough 2 first, in post-playthrough 2 you will find many insane stuffs

like I had a shield with 1170 capacity and 267 recharge rate, another with 1200 capacity/16X recharge rate but boost your health up by 60%(perfect for Brick)

and tons of guns which have sell value > 900k

Red

The more I play this on PC the more I regret not getting the X Box version. It runs great, looks great, but I have no personal friends who are PC gamers. I feel so isolated, even playing online.

So it goes.

LOL this game had definately got a high 'crack' factor to it. i'm already freaking out when I find new cool guns. I feel like I'm leveling up so fast though. I played just a few hours tonight and Im lvl 11 already. I was wondering if I should re-buy Fallout 3 for the DLC, but I got my fix already : ) I like the combat setup much better; none that random missing on percentages. I'm doing a soldier, but I'm using pistols way more than shotguns and rifles. I havce a decent SMG too and I just got two good sniper rifles that got me out of a jam already. I need to play online but I don;t have lots of time this week.

I'm up for a few mission before bed. Ps3

Red

Hawkian said:
Have you been playing in GAF games? I don't think I've played with you...
No I haven't, only done random quick matches. Even with GAFfers there's a relationship gap because I don't know any of you outside of the internet :lol

Still might improve things, I dunno. Can't speak for that since it hasn't happened yet.

Also, the game seems really laggy online. Most of the time it's unplayable. Probably due to my terrible internet connection, but seems particularly bad compared to other online games.

That's my connection at its best. During peak use it can get to about a quarter of that. Occasionally I get sub-dial up speeds.

This is my typical speed:

Woo-Fu

Banned
TheHeretic said:
I don't know where the console player line came out, i'm a PC gamer. Your analysis is incorrect, mathematically the gains from the Rogue tree are vastly superior to the gains in the Sniper tree. Its not even a contest. If you like the sniper tree by all means use it, I don't really care, but its blatantly obvious if you want to power spec where you should spend your points.

You aren't going to be able to deal as much damage with a Sniper as I can with my bird out. We can both use sniper rifles, if the bird can't single shot an enemy it slows it down to a crawl for easy headshots. Being slightly more effective at killing one enemy doesn't compare to being ridiculously better at handling multiple enemies.

The reason you don't see the bird as being that good is because you probably haven't used it, whereas my original spec was the Sniper line. With a good class mod your bird does an extra 80% damage from Swift Strike +40% or so damage from the innate bonus. That with 6 targets does more damage than anything else in the game, from any class.

If you want to take the argument even further a corrosive bird weakens every target it hits to physical damage so i'm already getting damage bonuses, or I can put an explosive mod on it to do AoE damage.

I get the feeling you don't play any high level content. The mathematics you are so fond of might look nice on paper, they don't work at all in practice at high level. You keep harping on six enemies at a time. My experience is that any place where the pet can actually hit six enemies at a time is a place my shields are going to be down in 1-2 seconds and I'll be dead in the next... and that is if I don't eat a grenade and go down instantly. Even with 1800 shield any buffed mob with an elemental weapon can splash me through cover and drop that shield in one to two hits. Fortunately all of them don't have elemental weapons.

I kill them as fast as I can pull the trigger and move the crosshair. Anything your bird can kill in 1-hit I can kill in 1 body hit. The buffed mobs that your pet bounces off of I kill with 2-4 headshots. I can switch elements with a single keypress and stack elements on the same target if I wish to do so. You can't do that with the pet, but you can do it with a sniper rifle, you just can't do it as quickly or as effectively as somebody who is sniper spec.

I don't fight 6+ trash mobs. I typically fight 1-4 mobs 1-2 of which is a special.

The sniper build is a crit build. If you don't factor in the ability of the player to crit every shot and how the build helps the player to do that then your math has a pretty big hole in it. Yes, as a pet owner you can still use a sniper rifle. You will not crit as easily or as often as somebody with a sniper spec.

I suggest instead of quoting math that you actually try it. Respecs are cheap. Class mods are easily obtained, as are reasonably good rifles. I know from trying how much damage the pet can do.... to mobs it can actually reach, do you know from trying how much damage a sniper spec does when he crits the majority of his/her shots?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Firestorm said:
Was there a PC patch? My .ini files were reset to default. My friends' were too.

Everybody on PC seems to have had that happen to them. Kind of upsetting that something they can do on the back-end can mess with our config files, particularly since they don't do anything to notify the players about it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Deadly said:
How and where are you getting this amazing loot?!

I think I picked up both of those on Promontory.

After you finish your 2nd playthrough the mobs pretty much anywhere in the 2nd playthrough are 50/51+ so you can find stuff like this practically anywhere.

The New Haven chest loop is the easiest---and most boring method.

What I typically do is this:

New Haven chest loop(5 chests inside, 1 right outside, 2 weapon vending machines)
Descent(3 chests up top, 2-3 chests at the bottom)
Promontory(I can't recall how many chests, I'm thinking 4-6)
Crimson Fastness in reverse(6-7 chests)

Promontory and Descent are particularly easy for a sniper build as almost everything is a 1-hit kill. They also seem to be the best spots to look for level 6 artifacts.

Then if I want a workout I'll work my way around Old Haven, which is pretty much the most challenging area in the game at this point.

Teknoman

Riddler said:
If you start the game by DVD it'll reset your config

Did that to steam players as well.

Oh yeah and comparison time again :lol

24g3ajm.jpg

Got a crazy shotgun, and now im trying to figure out which of these should be my solo mod. When playing co-op I just use leader for the exp bonus, but dunno with these two.

Currently using revovler, rifle, and shotgun. Probably will use SMG for fourth.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have a purple Support Gunner mod that makes being a soldier soooo worth it. +8 Team Ammo Regen per second, plus a whack load of other things.

It's great not having to worry about conserving ammo.

Of course, my soldier is all about healing, cover and ammo regen, so it works out. :D

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
wow

Just beat the lame ass last boss. Very anti-climatic. It took all of 2-4 minutes with my 230atk combat rifle just staying back and shooting him.

I felt the last 1/4 of the game was uber rushed. Suddenly, instead of staying in one area and doing tons of quests in each, I'm moving from map to map completing story objectives.

In the end, I just wish there was...something else? It's hard to pinpoint what exactly...

Although I also felt Fallout 3 was a let down on the ending side, the ride was a very entertaining one and the land just had so much character in it. Borderlands was also fun, but again, just pretty much endless deserts.

Now that I'm finished...I dunno...I just feel empty. I got a ton of money and loot and good guns and crap, but there's no real desire to go back to the world. Even Fallout 3, there was also the morbid curiosity of finding out what happens when you activate the bomb.

Weird deaths? I was near a spawn point and a bunch of lancers come at me. I whittle them down to one and I got half health left. Out of nowhere an explosion hits and it killed me. I saw nothing! There was just a boom and a death.

Online is complete and utter turd. With all the comments from the developers, I expected L4D quality drop in and out. I'm *still* having trouble connecting to people, and when I do, so many people suck!

Nighthawk, not sure if you're going to see this. Sorry, man! I was near the end and didn't see your message til after you logged off!

Uncle AJ

What's the deal with those "holy crap they shoot rockets" shotguns anyway? They seem to fire invisible projectiles at a really slow velocity and wide spread. They're like T.K.'s Wave but even shittier.

Top Bottom