• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So guys, I know a workaround to the 4-item stats per card glitch-thing was already posted, but a true fix was found (as I sensed it would be) on the GBX forums.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1626085&postcount=258

Or not needing the jump, basically:

In your actual Borderlands program folder- steamapps for Steam users:

\WillowGame\Localization\INT\gd_globals.INT

Make a backup copy of it just in case.

Open that file with wordpad or whatever.

Replace:
AttributePresentationTranslation="$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$"

With:
AttributePresentationTranslation="<font size="11">$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$</font>"

I have chosen 11 here, but you can go for whatever you want. No items seem to show more than 5 lines of stats; not sure if this is by design or what. Anyway, you could probably go to 12 comfortably. With 11 you can still easily read item descriptions on the ground, but I think 12 would still allow for 5 lines. Some people on the forums went with 8 which looks totally insane to me.

Img grabbed from their forum to show this in practice (as you can see by the first it applies to all items; as you can see by the second it will reveal previously cut off stats):
2ir1ym9.jpg

As as aside, I just wanted to say that the intrepid gamers on the Gearbox forums are one of the most resourceful groups of people I have ever seen in an online community. Nearly everything I could have desired to tweak and then some has already been posted with easy-to-follow instructions on the forums. I love the game; the community has really let me get the most out of it.

Anyway, since seeing weapon stats is a good thing, I highly recommend this tweak.

ConsoleGAF... er... patch is coming :-/

Teknoman

Mo the Hawk said:
What's the deal with those "holy crap they shoot rockets" shotguns anyway? They seem to fire invisible projectiles at a really slow velocity and wide spread. They're like T.K.'s Wave but even shittier.

Basically they seem to shoot shotgun shell sized rockets, but didnt seem like a wide spread on this one. Might be because of the recoil reduction, but I dunno.

I've still got this one:

63ve45.jpg
So i've got to decide between the two.

Insaniac

does anyone know if classmods can have more than 5 enhancers? I'm wondering if I should bother trying to find a gunslinger mod with +% increase pistol fire rate, +# to 3 skills and pistol ammo regen

Hawkian said:
So guys, I know a workaround to the 4-item stats per card glitch-thing was already posted, but a true fix was found (as I sensed it would be) on the GBX forums.

Replace:

With:
AttributePresentationTranslation="<font size="11">$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$</font>"
Nice. And change the double quotes around the font size to singles, so that it looks like this:
Code:
AttributePresentationTranslation="<font size='11'>$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$</font>"
and you won't get those gratuitous quotes around the modifier descriptions.

Red

Rust commons east (might be west, not sure) has a red chest pretty close to its entrance along with like ten money chests. I've been loading up my save over and over and popping through the loot and I've picked up some pretty great stuff. Level 24 and now I have a shield with nearly 500 points of damage, 67 recharge, and high corrosive resistance. Also some really nice purple class mods.

It's weird that some higher level stuff can be a lot weaker than equipment that unlocks four or five levels lower. Right now I'm using a revolver with 240 attack and 1.3 fire rate, but it sells for less than half as much as similar guns with an attack of 180 or less.
Sinatar said:
New Haven has 2 red and 2 white chests inside of the town plus the vendors. Much better place to farm.
Nice, I'll try that some time. Main reason I'm doing this is to make some cash. I never seem to have enough to get good stuff from the vendors.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Crunched said:
Rust commons east (might be west, not sure) has a red chest pretty close to its entrance along with like ten money chests. I've been loading up my save over and over and popping through the loot and I've picked up some pretty great stuff. Level 24 and now I have a shield with nearly 500 points of damage, 67 recharge, and high corrosive resistance. Also some really nice purple class mods.

New Haven has 2 red and 2 white chests inside of the town plus the vendors. Much better place to farm.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
LocoMrPollock said:
I think a meatier story would have diminished a lot of the replay value.

As it is now, I can jump in and play with some friends and look for better loot or level a character. Or continue a second playthrough by myself and not worry about the story.

If it were heavier on story, cutscenes and length, I probably would have just played it once with one character and never touched it again.

For me they hit that perfect balance on re-playability just like Left 4 Dead, and I'll probably be playing a very long time.

I must admit, I totally didn't think about that, and it's a very valid point. Also, before I was playing, I didn't know they had cut the character backgrounds, so for a while I was kinda waiting for that stuff to kick in.

Then again, can we really not have both? Story segments could be clickable, or optional, for a second playthrough. Every time you have this zoom-in mugshot thingie before a boss, I was thinking 'this engine looks great, why not have more story sequences?'

I think it was asked above but I'm not entirely sure what he meant... Anyway, if I have 5/5 on my Bird of Prey skill, for example, will a class mod that adds +2 to that skill do anything or is 5 the max?

Woo-Fu said:
I get the feeling you don't play any high level content. The mathematics you are so fond of might look nice on paper, they don't work at all in practice at high level. You keep harping on six enemies at a time. My experience is that any place where the pet can actually hit six enemies at a time is a place my shields are going to be down in 1-2 seconds and I'll be dead in the next... and that is if I don't eat a grenade and go down instantly. Even with 1800 shield any buffed mob with an elemental weapon can splash me through cover and drop that shield in one to two hits. Fortunately all of them don't have elemental weapons.

I kill them as fast as I can pull the trigger and move the crosshair. Anything your bird can kill in 1-hit I can kill in 1 body hit. The buffed mobs that your pet bounces off of I kill with 2-4 headshots. I can switch elements with a single keypress and stack elements on the same target if I wish to do so. You can't do that with the pet, but you can do it with a sniper rifle, you just can't do it as quickly or as effectively as somebody who is sniper spec.

I don't fight 6+ trash mobs. I typically fight 1-4 mobs 1-2 of which is a special.

The sniper build is a crit build. If you don't factor in the ability of the player to crit every shot and how the build helps the player to do that then your math has a pretty big hole in it. Yes, as a pet owner you can still use a sniper rifle. You will not crit as easily or as often as somebody with a sniper spec.

I suggest instead of quoting math that you actually try it. Respecs are cheap. Class mods are easily obtained, as are reasonably good rifles. I know from trying how much damage the pet can do.... to mobs it can actually reach, do you know from trying how much damage a sniper spec does when he crits the majority of his/her shots?

As long as there are more than two mobs on the screen bloodwing will bounce between them, dealing amazing damage. So even if its 1-4 mobs having only two still means Bloodwing will disable/kill both.

I've already tried a Sniper Build, and they aren't as good as Pistols imo. Repeaters are actually the most damaging weapons in the game thanks to ridiculous RoF, but their accuracy isn't great. Revolvers, especially Mashers, are obscenely powerful. In a game where half the enemies run right at you, you are going to have to be pretty careful trying to snipe them all out. Meanwhile a Masher basically annihilates everything in its path from medium range and if you find a good repeater the game becomes pretty easy.

Sniping is cool but high maintenance and not as effective. Pistols are some of the best weapons in the game, mostly because Revolvers are so versatile, ranging from super accurate with scopes to shotgun type functionality, whereas if you want the most possible damage in 5 seconds you get a repeater and just spray. A 500dmg rifle can't compare to 180dmg at 16x RoF.

Gun Crazy is also the best damage modifier skill in the game, at essentially 1.4 times whatever your guns DPS is.

Firestorm

This is me doing my best Batman Arkham Asylum impression as I jump Dreavus =)
294nmfd.jpg

Anyway, FOV Comparisons

60 (Default)
2mryvlt.jpg

hweand.jpg

3rd Person 60
29gdile.jpg

3rd Person 90
2nbeo2w.jpg

Dunlop

Man I feel stupid, purchaes a 700 shield (92 recharge) that does firewave when depleted for about 200k. I'm lvl 30

It was about a 15% improvement over my old shield but was figuring the firewave would be great as when my shield is done I'm at close range (brick)....against an even lvl mob it did 6dmg

:lol

Dunlop said:
Man I feel stupid, purchaes a 700 shield (92 recharge) that does firewave when depleted for about 200k. I'm lvl 30

It was about a 15% improvement over my old shield but was figuring the firewave would be great as when my shield is done I'm at close range (brick)....against an even lvl mob it did 6dmg

:lol

Haha really? I was rocking one of the fire burst shields for a long ass time, also passing up better armor I had found. I had no idea if it was working or not but it at least sounded cool.

I have some stupidly powerful weapons.

zap.jpg

Absolutely brutal at close range.

rev.jpg

Infinite ammo!

smg.jpg

My favourite. Like a rapid fire shotgun and it has a glorious scope. I'm playing as Lilith and have a class mod that increases SMG damage so enemies drop in a second.

JudgeN

Having played borderlands for a few days, this game needs a lot of work IMO.

Boss dropping the same normal loot all the time WTF?
AI is stupid as shit, they all just rush you and end getting shot in the head.
On second playthrough people are getting items crappier then what they got on there first.
Buggy online
I have yet to encounter a real challenge, everything gets owned. Doesn't matter whether I'm playing by myself or with 4 people.
No real end game content?

I would like to see a borderlands 2 cause they have a shit ton they could fix.

Question, can you join a friends game from the friends menu? Everything I see people online the join option is grayed out, or do they have to invite you?

Hawkian said:

Replace:

With:

I have chosen 11 here, but you can go for whatever you want. No items seem to show more than 5 lines of stats; not sure if this is by design or what. Anyway, you could probably go to 12 comfortably. With 11 you can still easily read item descriptions on the ground, but I think 12 would still allow for 5 lines. Some people on the forums went with 8 which looks totally insane to me.

Img grabbed from their forum to show this in practice (as you can see by the first it applies to all items; as you can see by the second it will reveal previously cut off stats):
http://i36.tinypic.com/2ir1ym9.jpg[/MG]

As as aside, I just wanted to say that the intrepid gamers on the Gearbox forums are one of the most resourceful groups of people I have ever seen in an online community. Nearly everything I could have desired to tweak and then some has already been posted with easy-to-follow instructions on the forums. I love the game; the community has really let me get the most out of it.

Anyway, since seeing weapon stats is a good thing, I highly recommend this tweak.

ConsoleGAF... er... patch is coming :-/[/QUOTE]
thanks

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vhfive said:
i've gotten to 31 in snipers and its still going. I'm guessing it goes up to 99

Thanks, I couldn't figure out what it would be because at 12 some of the bonuses were over 50%. I don't know that I will ever get to 100 though :(

Anyways I love this game and haven't even finished yet. I can't wait to go through a second time and get that DLC as well. Does anyone know how much DLC is planned? I think 10$ episodes is pretty sweet for this game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hawkian said:

Thanks for posting the fix here, Hawkian. I don't have any 5 line description items, but this is awesome.

I LOVE the PC version of borderlands, because it allows for all these modifications - i also hate it because people can do whatever they want and cheat up the ass... but whatever. Play with friends and enjoy the tweaks. :D

But the real thanks goes for the people at the gbxforums.

1stStrike

Banned
Lord Phol said:
Haven't checked in since last week, has there been any words on fixes or patches yet?
PS3 version that is.

A patch came out the other day. Most of the PS3 online problems are still "in work" though.

EzLink

Banned
Maybe this is a bad place to ask this, but I'm going to have enough money for a game this week and its come down to this and dragon age. As of now I'm leaning towards the latter, because it seems like it has a much better story as well as more features and content. But at the same time, I've never extensively played a bioware rpg before, so borderlands would probably be a safer bet for me.

I know dragon age isn't even out yet, so its not like any of you will be able to compare the two. I guess what I'm trying to get at then is this... do any of you regret buying it? Does the game sort of fizzle out after the initial novelty wears off? Or is it good enough to hold your attention in the same way AAA titles can?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I'd also be playing the whole game solo, if that makes any difference

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:

Replace:

With:

ConsoleGAF... er... patch is coming :-/

Thanks a lot for this! It worked great for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
EzLink said:
Maybe this is a bad place to ask this, but I'm going to have enough money for a game this week and its come down to this and dragon age. As of now I'm leaning towards the latter, because it seems like it has a much better story as well as more features and content. But at the same time, I've never extensively played a bioware rpg before, so borderlands would probably be a safer bet for me.

I know dragon age isn't even out yet, so its not like any of you will be able to compare the two. I guess what I'm trying to get at then is this... do any of you regret buying it? Does the game sort of fizzle out after the initial novelty wears off? Or is it good enough to hold your attention in the same way AAA titles can?

Thanks guys!

I've been anticipating Dragon Age for years and fully expect it to be my favorite game of the year, but Borderlands is a ton of fun as well. Don't come here expecting a good story or even very challenging gameplay, but it is just a ton of fun to play if it "clicks" for you. In my opinion, Borderlands really shines when you have a couple of friends to shoot the shit with while blowing enemies away, but that isn't to say it isn't a fun game to play alone.

I haven't played Dragon Age yet so I can't really be the judge, but I personally would choose it over Borderlands if you like RPGs. They are both very different games, though.

1stStrike

Banned
Hazaro said:
How sub par?
I've been holding onto a x4 lightning and x4 corrosive SMG that I haven't wanted to sell.

Woo-Fu I want that shield! I'll trade you my Liquid Penetrator for it :D

I don't have the game atm (my friend has it) but it's a 4x lightning, 4x acid, 3x fire and 4x explode. When I'm low on bullets I swap to this legendary SMG I've had since my first run through that has +10 ammo regen (it really helps cause I have SMG ammo maxed out and still go through about 400 - 800 bullets in some fights). I just got one that's like lvl 37 and does 106 damage +13% damage which is pretty good, but like every other SMG I have there's no scope on it. An SMG with a scope is incredibly awesome...especially with +accuracy bonuses and my SMG skill lvl being at 28.

The damage on the elemental weapons is between 57 and 65 and all my SMG's are single shot rather than multi...so overall, nothing special. I want more phat loot :(

Lord Phol

EzLink said:

Thanks guys!

I'm far from a Dragon Age yaysayer, but considering what you are looking for I would say go for that over this game. If you intend to play this solo anyways you can always grab it later when there are less bugs and it's cheaper.

Just do me (and yourself) a favour and try Baldurs Gate 2 if you happen to like DA!

1stStrike said:
A patch came out the other day. Most of the PS3 online problems are still "in work" though.

Aw, I want my Lilith fixed :(. Rocking Roland meantime.

Drek

EzLink said:

Thanks guys!

If you're sure that you'll only play the game solo I'd go with Dragon Age.

Borderlands is an awesome game and would probably still be a lot of fun for quite a while on your own, but playing with someone else, even if its splitscreen, is what makes it really excellent.

FinKL

Cahill said:
So did we ever find out for certain if stats can go over 5/5 with the class mods?

Yes, you can push skills over the 5/5 limit but the + bonuses don't show in your skill tree. Also, you must have 1 pt before the item mod bonuses kick in.

Do Combat Rifles always have a 3 shot burst? Or can they be automatic like SMG's?

1stStrike

Banned
Lord Phol said:
I'm far from a Dragon Age yaysayer, but considering what you are looking for I would say go for that over this game. If you intend to play this solo anyways you can always grab it later when there are less bugs and it's cheaper.

Just do me (and yourself) a favour and try Baldurs Gate 2 if you happen to like DA!

Aw, I want my Lilith fixed :(. Rocking Roland meantime.

They did fix Lilith on both systems. That's one of the things they DID fix. PS3 connectivity issues, not so much though. The patch notes were posted somewhere in this thread before, but I'll go ahead and throw them up here again.

PlayStation 3 Patch Notes:

* Load times have been improved.
* Lilith's Phase Strike ability now works as intended.
* The introductory quests with CL4P-TP should now always progress properly.
* fixed a bug that caused the digger elevator to be unusable after completing the Find Tannis mission
* Weapon mapping to the D-pad should no longer reverse left and right.
* Fixed a crash when ejecting the disc during the autosave warning splash screen.
* Players in a lobby should no longer experience long loading when starting a game after one player leaves.
* A bug which caused players and other things in the world to appear incorrectly on clients in networked games has been fixed.
* Fixed a bug in which players gibbed in arena combat disappeared.
* Changed how space required for saves is calculated.
* Fixed a bug which caused the dollars counter to spin continuously.
* Various localization and other text and tooltip correction.

Xbox 360 Patch Notes:

* Fixed a bug which caused players and other things in the world to appear incorrectly on clients in networked games.
* Fixed a bug in which players gibbed in arena combat disappeared.
* Fixed a bug which caused the dollars counter to spin continuously.
* Fixed a bug that caused the digger elevator to be unusable after completing the Find Tannis mission.
* Weapon mapping to the D-pad should no longer reverse left and right.
* Various localization and other text and tooltip corrections.
* The introductory quests with CL4P-TP should now always progress properly all the time.
* Lilith's Phase Strike ability now works as intended.
* Load times have been improved.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
FinKL said:
Yes, you can push skills over the 5/5 limit but the + bonuses don't show in your skill tree. Also, you must have 1 pt before the item mod bonuses kick in.

Do Combat Rifles always have a 3 shot burst? Or can they be automatic like SMG's?
I've only found Combat Rifles that either have a 3 shot burst (which I think are awesome - find one with a quick reload stat and you're set) with a 12 bullet clip or single fire with either smaller clip (I got one that had 6!) or bigger (but no much, i think 20 was the biggest i found with ammo mod?).

1stStrike

Banned
FinKL said:

Combat rifles are sometimes automatic with much larger clips, but their reload time is generally slower because of it. Personally, I much prefer the 3 round burst rifles myself.

Lord Phol

1stStrike said:
They did fix Lilith on both systems. That's one of the things they DID fix. PS3 connectivity issues, not so much though. The patch notes were posted somewhere in this thread before, but I'll go ahead and throw them up here again.

Ah thanks!
That's a decent list, if the loading times are noticebly faster that would be swell.
But was hopeing for a corrupted character fix, aka permanently loosing all your weapon profiencies and talent points.
Hope it's on the "to do"-list at least :x

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Sinatar said:
Just got there yesterday. I know about the one
on top of Scooter's shop,
but where is the other one? I don't think I remember finding two.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
slidewinder said:
Nice. And change the double quotes around the font size to singles, so that it looks like this:
Code:
AttributePresentationTranslation="<font size='11'>$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$</font>"
and you won't get those gratuitous quotes around the modifier descriptions.

Excellent point. I don't know why I didn't notice those in-game quotes before. Definitely do this.

Drizzle, did you mean you checked all of your items and didn't see any with 5 lines?

They're not that common really, mostly high leveled elemental guns. I haven't gone through mine to check yet.

There plenty of things in this game that should be patched or fixed or expanded upon with DLC. But it still hits me in all the right places. I can't get enough of just fucking around, tweaking my build and getting new guns. I love it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Monroeski said:
Just got there yesterday. I know about the one
on top of Scooter's shop,
but where is the other one? I don't think I remember finding two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MAIcYvIsN4

The only correct way to do it.

I skip the chest outside though.

I'm also doing Crimson Fastness runs instead because it's a higher level area, but I just had some person join my New Haven run and finally got a Defiler plus a better Volcano (10% less damage, more accurate, more fire rate, holds 6 shots instead of 3)!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Random question:

If you have both a hard drive and a memory card, is it possible to save your character onto both, and then run them separately?

As in, can I play my character and level him up to 50 on the memory card, but still have him frozen at level 37 on my hard-drive?

I really want to keep playing with my Brick, but I have to keep waiting for my friends to be online so he stays on par with them...hoping this would allow me to just go off on my own while still being able to play with them.

edgefusion

RubxQub said:
Random question:

If you have both a hard drive and a memory card, is it possible to save your character onto both, and then run them separately?

As in, can I play my character and level him up to 50 on the memory card, but still have him frozen at level 37 on my hard-drive?

I really want to keep playing with my Brick, but I have to keep waiting for my friends to be online so he stays on par with them...hoping this would allow me to just go off on my own while still being able to play with them.

If each character is a seperate save then yes I don't see why not. Just make sure they don't overwrite each other while you're copying.

drizzle said:
The default FOV is 60? Goddamn, no wonder I feel so claustrophobic playing the damn game.

Time to change that. I love PC Gaming.. :D
I couldn't play at the default FOV, it feels like I'm constantly zoomed in.

EzLink said:

Thanks guys!

Definitely Dragon Age, this game is good but it feels somewhat repetitive and I can't see myself replaying very much. Still a great game.

I think I'm getting towards the end of the game (level 29) and I'm liking it a lot. It's easy to point out specific complaints, though:

• I constantly equip a weapon when I only mean to pick it up. I get used to holding down X to collect everything that I'm always doing that with weapons too. Quite annoying.
  • You have to be too precise with your aiming when trying to pick something up.
  • I wish I could delete some of these "trivial" quests.
  • When driving the car, I have to look at my map way too often. I wish the marker showing you where to go was dynamic, so that it was showing me where to go at that moment, not just my ultimate goal. Because of this, I rarely get into the flow of driving.
  • A claptrap is coming on my screen, each time I enter a different area, saying "Scooter has a little....something-something for you to do. You should ask him about it." (Or something like that.) Problem is, I have no idea who Scooter is, or where he is. And I'm sure whatever he wants me to do is "trivial" at this point anyway.

Anyway, that's my list. Game is awesome otherwise.

Top Bottom