• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
darkpaladinmfc said:
this game is good but it feels somewhat repetitive and I can't see myself replaying very much. Still a great game.

It is certainly repetitive at times. But I wonder, did you play Diablo 2 much? I see myself continuing to hop onto Borderlands for months :p

Thanks for the double repeater last night, God's Beard. One step closer to my dreams... :lol

Firehead

Fleet of Foot said:
  • A claptrap is coming on my screen, each time I enter a different area, saying "Scooter has a little....something-something for you to do. You should ask him about it." (Or something like that.) Problem is, I have no idea who Scooter is, or where he is. And I'm sure whatever he wants me to do is "trivial" at this point anyway.
He's near the entrance of New Haven.

Sai-kun

Banned
This game is awesome. Friend and I beat it last night as level 35 Hunters and we're gonna start Sirens now :D

The only bad part of this game: Not showing all the stats of a gun. For a game that is basically all about the stats and upgrades, this is a pretty big mess up imo. :| Ah well, my pestilent defiler revolver is still a kickass gun :D

JudgeN

Baloonatic said:
smg.jpg

My favourite. Like a rapid fire shotgun and it has a glorious scope. I'm playing as Lilith and have a class mod that increases SMG damage so enemies drop in a second.

Holy shit WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THESE

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Xevren said:
At least with Diablo 2 you had a lot of active abilities, in this you just have one with a lot of passives.
The lack of abilities is filled with the freedom of movement and aim.

I don't see Borderlands working with a ton of actives, as it'd either be a radial dial or a button to swap the active ability, which wouldn't let you switch between them very easily. Not so much an issue on PC of course, but this is a console game first it seems.

bdouble

Xevren said:
At least with Diablo 2 you had a lot of active abilities, in this you just have one with a lot of passives.
Yeah but it relies on the guns to change the gameplay. Otherwise you would just be spamming abilities. Now could they have changed up the passives a bit more to add more variety? yeah I think so. Maybe added in a second active just so you could mix and match trees with it.

Hawkian said:
It is certainly repetitive at times. But I wonder, did you play Diablo 2 much? I see myself continuing to hop onto Borderlands for months :p

Thanks for the double repeater last night, God's Beard. One step closer to my dreams... :lol
I've beat Diablo I but haven't played Diablo II. I intend to do so soon but I'm going to wait til I can try to get a group of friends to join me :D.

Firestorm

BudokaiMR2 said:
Man seeing those screens makes me really wish I could play in third person.

I dunno why. I just like third person :(
Well, ironsight doesn't work (except for scoped weapons) so it's not that practical. I just do it when I want to mix it up if there are few enemies around.

Blueblur1

I was playing this game yesterday and was really enjoying it at first. But by the time I got to level 15,
about to take on Sledge
, I became very bored with it. It's the same shit over and over again. Shoot bandits, collect some crappy guns, shoot bigger/tougher bandits, collect some slightly better guns, etc. And I think I shouldn't have gone with the Siren as the talents that are available to me do not seem to be very useful.

Firestorm

Blueblur1 said:
I was playing this game yesterday and was really enjoying it at first. But by the time I got to level 15,
about to take on Sledge
, I became very bored with it. It's the same shit over and over again. Shoot bandits, collect some crappy guns, shoot bigger/tougher bandits, collect some slightly better guns, etc. And I think I shouldn't have gone with the Siren as the talents that are available to me do not seem to be very useful.
Phasewalk is amazing. I'm really glad I went with Siren instead of Soldier.

Also, I'm surprised people are surprised it's repetitive. I figured it would be going in. All loot games and MMORPGs are. It's fun as a Co-op game because you have friends with you while playing. If you are playing this alone at all, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Sai-kun

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
about to take on Sledge

We should play together!

1stStrike

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
about to take on Sledge

It does tend to be repetitive. However, until you've gotten to the higher levels and have more skill points available you can't really unlock the full potential of any of the classes. I've got a lvl 47 siren and she destroys everyone's face. Playing the game on coop helps alleviate a lot of the repetitiveness too cause it's always different when you play with other people.

Fleet of Foot said:
I think I'm getting towards the end of the game (level 29) and I'm liking it a lot. It's easy to point out specific complaints, though:

• I constantly equip a weapon when I only mean to pick it up. I get used to holding down X to collect everything that I'm always doing that with weapons too. Quite annoying.
  • You have to be too precise with your aiming when trying to pick something up.
  • I wish I could delete some of these "trivial" quests.
  • When driving the car, I have to look at my map way too often. I wish the marker showing you where to go was dynamic, so that it was showing me where to go at that moment, not just my ultimate goal. Because of this, I rarely get into the flow of driving.
    [*]A claptrap is coming on my screen, each time I enter a different area, saying "Scooter has a little....something-something for you to do. You should ask him about it." (Or something like that.) Problem is, I have no idea who Scooter is, or where he is. And I'm sure whatever he wants me to do is "trivial" at this point anyway.

Anyway, that's my list. Game is awesome otherwise.

Scooter is in New Haven, right side as you enter the city in the area with the fast travel(he'd be to the left if you Fast Travel there) sitting in an open garage area with a vehicle beside him. He's sitting at a table.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Blueblur1 said:
about to take on Sledge
Are you playing co-op? Really does feel like an entirely different game imo. Got a lot of single player in this past weekend because my main playing friend was out of town and it just wasn't the same.

Masaki_

1stStrike said:
They did fix Lilith on both systems. That's one of the things they DID fix. PS3 connectivity issues, not so much though. The patch notes were posted somewhere in this thread before, but I'll go ahead and throw them up here again.

I do hope leaving the game full of glitches to be patched later doesn't become a trend in consoles. That said, it does have some amusing bugs that I'd prefer if they left in for humor's sake.

Blueblur1

Firestorm said:
Phasewalk is amazing. I'm really glad I went with Siren instead of Soldier.

Also, I'm surprised people are surprised it's repetitive. I figured it would be going in. All loot games and MMORPGs are. It's fun as a Co-op game because you have friends with you while playing. If you are playing this alone at all, you have no one to blame but yourself.
I understand that it's going to be repetitive but I figured there would at least be more enemies than skags, midgets, bandits and pterodactyl-like creatures in the early part of the game. The guns are also very generic early on (I assume they get better) so I fail to see what the obvious hook is. I played splitscreen co-op about a week ago and it was okay. During that experience, I took longer to level and grabbed less gear so I'm not too keen on playing more co-op.

Zzoram

Masaki_ said:
I do hope leaving the game full of glitches to be patched later doesn't become a trend in consoles. That said, it does have some amusing bugs that I'd prefer if they left in for humor's sake.

I always love funny bugs in games.

This isn't the first game, PC or console, to be buggy at release and require a few patches to clean up.

Masaki_

Blueblur1 said:
I was playing this game yesterday and was really enjoying it at first. But by the time I got to level 15, about to take on Sledge, I became very bored with it. It's the same shit over and over again. Shoot bandits, collect some crappy guns, shoot bigger/tougher bandits, collect some slightly better guns, etc. And I think I shouldn't have gone with the Siren as the talents that are available to me do not seem to be very useful.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RPGs. Enjoy your stay! (I sure am.)

1stStrike

Banned
Masaki_ said:

It's been a trend for years on PC. I can't think of any MMO that didn't have a good number of issues at launch which were patched at a later date. Open world games tend to have a lot more bugs than more confined games and it's hard to squash all the bugs in the development period. Would we all like every game to come out polished and bug free? Of course. Is it going to happen? Probably not. I'm impressed they actually got a patch out this quickly on both systems. If they keep this up they'll have a good number of the major bugs fixed before the end of the year.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blueblur1 said:
I understand that it's going to be repetitive but I figured there would at least be more enemies than skags, midgets, bandits and pterodactyl-like creatures in the early part of the game. The guns are also very generic early on (I assume they get better) so I fail to see what the obvious hook is. I played splitscreen co-op about a week ago and it was okay. During that experience, I took longer to level and grabbed less gear so I'm not too keen on playing more co-op.

You might just not like the game, but my advice is to stick with it until level 24ish, when the gun variety really starts to pick up and you start to feel the effects of your skills.

Also, the enemy variety is actually pretty good in my opinion, but indeed very limited in the fyrestone area. I was thinking of putting together a bestiary post with pics soon.

And absolutely, while both are good and have pros and cons, coop is the Way It's Meant to Be Played.

Singleplayer- tranquil, slow-paced, isolating, not particularly challenging but still fun; great for tweaking your build and trying out new guns and combos taking as much time as you like.

4-player coop: frenzied, chaotic, challenging, critical-scoring loot-grabbing psycho fun.

Sai-kun

Banned
Masaki_ said:

My friend and I were driving around and killed a weird beatle-thing. Don't remember what they're called. It wasn't the spiderant. But anyways, we killed it and it somehow ended up on our vehicle, and we couldn't get it off. Weird part was, it was only on my screen, and there was nothing on his. So we drove around for awhile with bug-carcass on our ride. :lol it was really freaky.

Deadly

I've been wondering, when in coop, when someone turns in a quest, if the reward is a weapon is he the only one who gets the weapon or everyone gets one?

Firestorm

Blueblur1 said:
You have room to grab more gear? I always get full! I'm playing with a Hunter and Soldier so basically any sniper goes to the hunter, and we divvy up the rest based on our preferences (I like Repeaters and SMGs for the most part). Also any class mods go to the person who needs them obviously!

Also, I know people complain about the AI, but I'm fine with them. Running straight at you is still scary when there are so many of them :( Those green spider things are the freakiest so. One of them jumped up and OHKO'd my vehicle x.x scared the living shit out of me

Deadly said:
I've been wondering, when in coop, when someone turns in a quest, if the reward is a weapon is he the only one who gets the weapon or everyone gets one?
Everyone that is eligible gets it. They need to check their inventory. They only don't get it if it's a story-related quest that requires an earlier story-related quest which the person hasn't finished yet.

Woo-Fu

Banned
grif1020 said:
Has anyone maxed out a weapon proficiency? Does anyone know what the cap is for those?

50. I was still around 40ish with sniper rifles after finishing second playthrough. The best place to raise it up after that is Eridian Promontory. The regulars are worth 5k and specials are worth 15-20k.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I got an Urban Stomper combat rifle from the second arena quest. Despite being green, this thing is no fucking slouch. At level 22, it has 145 damage with a 15 fire rate. On the start of my second playthrough, I found a lvl 34 Urban Stomper with 189 damage but only a 10 fire rate. So my old one is STILL better.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hawkian said:
How many proficiencies do you have maxed, dude?

Just one, sniper rifle. Next closes is shotgun which is at 35. I've used shotgun a LOT on eridian promontory lately, lol.

Anybody know if they did something to mess up connecting via PC lately like change the gamespy ports? After opening ports first time I was able to join/host just fine, but sometime yesterday that stopped working. I double-checked my router config and my port assignments are still in place.

I've been picking up a lot of level 46 Eridian weapons and they're really not half bad along with High Velocity. I haven't quite figured out how the homing of the Ball Blaster works though. I was aiming at one bandit and the shots veered sharply to the right towards another. Maybe it just goes after the closest enemy.

FinKL

Haven't played the game since last Tuesday, but is multiplayer fixed yet? Couldn't get people to join my Steam game yesterday.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jamesfrom818 said:
I've been picking up a lot of level 46 Eridian weapons and they're really not half bad along with High Velocity. I haven't quite figured out how the homing of the Ball Blaster works though. I was aiming at one bandit and the shots veered sharply to the right towards another. Maybe it just goes after the closest enemy.

I didn't even think of High Velocity affecting energy weapons. Can't wait to try my siren.

DeadGzuz

Banned
My buddy and I just got our copies. what two classes work well together? Are there any two-man combos that don't work? We are still pisses at Too Human because the two classes we picked were awful together.

DeadGzuz said:
My buddy and I just got our copies. what two classes work well together? Are there any two-man combos that don't work? We are still pisses at Too Human because the two classes we picked were awful together.

Soldier + anything works well.

Firestorm

DeadGzuz said:
Healing Soldier + Siren to run and save his ass when he dies because he can only heal you and not himself! Really anything works together. I think a Support/Healing Soldier is always good to have. Could go Healing Soldier + Berserk Brick.

adg1034

My Lilith found a $4000, orange, level-7 sniper when I'd just hit level 5. X4 flame damage, 10 shots per clip... it's still a great gun, even at level 20. I'll try and post a picture.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:

The only one I found very useful was the Eridian shotgun. That was my weapon of last resort throughout much of the game. Early on in 2nd playthrough it stopped being very effective though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
mousepad42 said:
I don't know what just happened, but I lost half of my equipment. Anyone else experience this bug?

No :'( You should make a thread in the GBX forums and reproduce the steps leading up to it exactly if you can. That sucks hard man, I'm sorry!

Firestorm said:
Healing Soldier + Siren to run and save his ass when he dies because he can only heal you and not himself! Really anything works together. I think a Support/Healing Soldier is always good to have. Could go Healing Soldier + Berserk Brick.

A support soldier and anything does work great, they are lifesavers. But really any two classes can play off each others' strengths and do well. A hunter + siren could work well constantly ping-ponging aggro and doing tons of DoT. Brick specced as tank can absorb oodles of damage, which is always nice to have alongside any other class.

Woo-Fu

Banned
mousepad42 said:
I don't know what just happened, but I lost half of my equipment. Anyone else experience this bug?

I had a friend join a multiplayer game and during the end boss fight his equipped weapons disappeared AND his weapon slots went from four to two. ouch.

My friend and I had good luck with Hunter + Brick. He'd run in and go melee crazy while I stood back and sniped everything around him, if he pulled out his shotgun and I pulled out my revolver we'd pretty much just stream roll through everything but Badass enemies.

We're just barely in our 20s though so it may get more complicated later on. As Brick he'd go down A LOT but I never had trouble picking him back up because I usually wasn't the focus of enemy attacks like he was.

Edit: I'm not sure what his spec was but it was very much a tank/ranged-DPS relationship as in an MMO. With help of Transfusion grenades and Berserk Mode he'd stay alive for a long time.

taylor910 said:
have this coming in the mail on wednesday. Is the "mage" class ok for soloing? Any better recommendations for a sp character?

Siren is awesome at solo play. Controller skills are a must. Mind Games seriously turns this game into easy mode. Sometimes, I feel bad for having it.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Siren is awesome at solo play. Controller skills are a must. Mind Games seriously turns this game into easy mode. Sometimes, I feel bad for having it.
Isn't the soldier the mage since he has all the healing skills?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jamesfrom818 said:

Every class can solo pretty effectively from what I've seen, they just take different playstyles.

practice02 said:
Isn't the soldier the mage since he has all the healing skills?

To put it in Final Fantasy terms, Soldier is white mage while Siren is black mage.

Hawkian said:
Every class can solo pretty effectively from what I've seen, they just take different playstyles.

I suppose. I prefer to engage enemies from medium to long range but I'm having a slightly tougher time with my Hunter than I did with my Siren. Maybe its because I'm not relying on the fire damage to kill most enemies.

Top Bottom