• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

I love my Hellfire SMG so much. Its a level 25 gun but its still effective during my 2nd playthrough. My level 19 Anarchy tears through shit really fast too. My Siren is going to be a god once I get a level 40+ Hellfire and Anarchy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just discovered the ability to relisten to any audio log, and, though I'm still a bit from the (assumed-to-be-disappointing) ending, I have to say that going back and listening closely to ones I missed has fleshed out the story for me considerably. It's still paper-thin, but now it's closer to a notebook than a brochure.

I just discovered these guys as well:
2s78bqc.png

11m3n76.png

Uh... I surrender! Do they only show up at night? Never noticed before and definitely jumped off that cliff multiple times :lol

Blizzard

Banned
They're there during the day as well. I assumed that they killed anyone who crossed the cliff. I drove over the cliff in a vehicle and instantly died (midair?). My passenger was all "lol wtf". :p

charsace

Hawkian said:
If you know your host is leaving, quit (or hit a shiny green pole) before they do. The kick-back to menu does not include a save, just lost a couple nice things :(
Same shit happened to me. Went from level 20 with nice weapons to level 17. Don't even want to play brick anymore.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
bengraven said:
Mother fuck.

PC version is running like shit.
Huh? With what hardware? I'm running 1680x1050 on my notebook, which has the equivalent of a 9800 GT, and I'm always over 30fps.

Uncle AJ

Uhhh well I re-enabled all my custom settings in the Willow .ini files (just disabled mouse smoothing, binded expanded FOV to F10 and F11, and disabled the intro movies), but now as soon as the world loads up, the game won't recognize any mouse or keyboard input. I can't even exit the game without killing it from task manager.

EDIT: nm, fixed it, i'm dumb

Hawkian said:
Not sure what glitch you mean, but everybody respawns on login. Go solo Sledge if you feel like it. (I just did this, somebody ninja'd the shotgun on my actual quest killing of him and I wanted to see what a 0 accuracy gun was like. Fought my way out of the mine stabbing bitches with this thing :D)
I jumped into co-op with some high level people when I was around level 13, which through magic made a mission 8 levels beyond me become half done in my single player campaign, causing the appearance of this humongous level 25 Mothrakk. And in an adjacent bandit camp there's a weapon crate, with ~level 25 loot in it.

Thought my game was potentially screwed until I realized the thing's pretty tame. A blessing in disguise. Thank you Mothrakk.

Woo-Fu

Banned
JeanJule said:
Is there something I am doing wrong at the final boss? I am playing as Mordecai, lvl 34 and cannot beat him: hardest boss by far, even the Rakk Hive was easier. Anyone care to give me a hint?
stay at max range, and you'll hardly ever get hit by tentacles strikes. when the purple tentacles come out you need to kill them ASAP by shooting the glowing purple joints. Those tentacles send the gas spikes out where are what kills most people. Don't sit in one place zoomed in when the purple tentacles are out. Whenever you've knocked down the purple tentacles, focus on his eye from either side---not directly in front. You'll get crits every time shooting from the size if you hit the eye.

Zertez

JeanJule said:
Is there something I am doing wrong at the final boss? I am playing as Mordecai, lvl 34 and cannot beat him: hardest boss by far, even the Rakk Hive was easier. Anyone care to give me a hint?

Woo-Fu said:
stay at max range, and you'll hardly ever get hit by tentacles strikes. when the purple tentacles come out you need to kill them ASAP by shooting the glowing purple joints. Those tentacles send the gas spikes out where are what kills most people. Don't sit in one place zoomed in when the purple tentacles are out. Whenever you've knocked down the purple tentacles, focus on his eye from either side---not directly in front. You'll get crits every time shooting from the size if you hit the eye.
Kill 2 of the tentacles, but leave at least 2 up at all times. Once you have killed 2 tentacles, focus on his eyes. The tentacles are very easy to kill. You want to have an easy kill for the second wind skill, in case things go upside down when he is almost dead. Hide behind the rubble to avoid his reach, but you need to move when he throws his lawn darts at you.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I love my Hellfire SMG so much. Its a level 25 gun but its still effective during my 2nd playthrough. My level 19 Anarchy tears through shit really fast too. My Siren is going to be a god once I get a level 40+ Hellfire and Anarchy.
You and me both man, I'm level 42 and still rocking it. It's really over powered.

HBP

Anyone playing this on an iMac? I have the 2.66ghz 4gb iMac, not the one that just came out but the one right before it.

Just wondering if anyone knows it it will run decent?

The End

kind of dumb question: When I add class mods to my guy that have skills i haven't put points in yet (ie, melee skills on a tank-spec berzerker), do i get those skills? It doesn't light up on the skill tree, but it also didn't change on the skill tree when it was a +1 to a skill i had that wasn't maxed out.

for that matter, what happens if a skill is maxed? do a get a 6 or 7 in that skill?

Firestorm

The End said:
kind of dumb question: When I add class mods to my guy that have skills i haven't put points in yet (ie, melee skills on a tank-spec berzerker), do i get those skills? It doesn't light up on the skill tree, but it also didn't change on the skill tree when it was a +1 to a skill i had that wasn't maxed out.

for that matter, what happens if a skill is maxed? do a get a 6 or 7 in that skill?
You need at least 1 in the skill for the class mod to take effect.
You can have up to 10 points in a skill with class mods.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Zertez said:
Kill 2 of the tentacles, but leave at least 2 up at all times. Once you have killed 2 tentacles, focus on his eyes. The tentacles are very easy to kill. You want to have an easy kill for the second wind skill, in case things go upside down when he is almost dead. Hide behind the rubble to avoid his reach, but you need to move when he throws his lawn darts at you.

If you kill the purple tentacles you should never need 2nd wind. His beam attack does next to nothing and his tentacle stab isn't 1-hit, nor does it seem to recharge faster than your shield.

JeanJule

Banned
Thanks for the help. I just finished the fight! What I did was pretty cheap, but it worked. Basically followed your advise. Keep your head down and shoot.

bengraven

Sandman42 said:
dropping the resolution seems to help big time for me. But yeah, it's hardly optimized well.

PumpkinPie said:
Something really weird happened to me, the first time I played it I had the settings maxed out and it was skipping like mad so I lowered everything to medium. Today I maxed everything out again and it ran as smooth as butter and played for an hour or two with no problems, my PC is decent which is why I first tried it with max settings. I have no idea what the problem was...

Okay, this is strange as well.

I normally don't do this kind of thing, but here goes:

4gb RAM
Nvidia 9800GT
Quad Duo 2.5ghz

WTF should I have the settings at to run smoothly?

I started with everything maxed and it ran fine, sometimes 60+ fps, then after that bandit attack it seems like there is quite a bit of tearing and frequent sudden and drastic frame drops while TURNING. That's my major issue, my character turns and suddenly it's just a bit, blurry janky piece of shit.

I already dropped foliage settings to low (I don't care about grass), that on and went down to just 1024×768 and I'm considering turning off depth of field as depressing as that is.

K.Jack said:
Huh? With what hardware? I'm running 1680x1050 on my notebook, which has the equivalent of a 9800 GT, and I'm always over 30fps.

Okay, maybe I'm being picky. :p

KAP151

Deadly said:
What's the max number of inventory slots we can have?

42 if you get all the claptraps... however, some people's games can glitch and when you go through it a second time, instead of getting grenade mod's, he can give you more backpack slots. Have seen all sort of weird numbers, 47, 58 and higher.

Unicorn

KAP151 said:
42 if you get all the claptraps... however, some people's games can glitch and when you go through it a second time, instead of getting grenade mod's, he can give you more backpack slots. Have seen all sort of weird numbers, 47, 58 and higher.
Buh, wish I got that lucky.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought you were supposed to be granted an extra one at make it 45. I guess the lesson here is- ALWAYS RESCUE CLAPTRAPS!

I'm hunting them all down later if anybody wanted to tag along.

Hawkian said:
I thought you were supposed to be granted an extra one at make it 45. I guess the lesson here is- ALWAYS RESCUE CLAPTRAPS!

Got all the claptraps on my second playthrough, now I have 48 slots and it's still not enough. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man what are you carrying?

Could always make a mule if you're on console or have a willing coop partner to host on PC.

For the last boss
just stand behind the little wall on the left with the step on the bottom and shoot his legs. You're invincible in that position

Hawkian said:

Let me know.

Loudninja

Wow this game really needs a storage box :(

Oh by the way have this hunter class mod I cant equip anyone wants it?Its like a level 25 mod I think.

MMaRsu

Loudninja said:
Wow this game really needs a storage box :(

Oh by the way have this hunter class mod I cant equip anyone wants it?Its like a level 25 mod I think.

Yeah the game SO needs a fucking storage box. Please put that shit in there gearbox!!!

Hawkian said:
...because being completely unable to see the 5th line on consoles is way better?

An awesome job on the game, then. The way it was worded made it sound like this was only an issue that affected the PC for some odd reason.

Firestorm

Shoogoo said:
Wow this guy has shit tastes if that's the only thing he found to replace the font :lol
There are only 3 available fonts. You can't use your own =P I wonder if changing the size from "standard" to "small" works?

Won

This game is weird. Really enjoying it after I finally got the online running, but I can't seem to motivate myself leveling a character beyound level 7 so far. :lol

I do blame the PC version being pretty medicore for that. :/

How do I bind grenades to my mouse's side button? You can always spot a bad PC port when you can't bind side buttons. It's a Razer Deathadder. Both Razer's drivers and GlovePie have failed me.

Reno7728

ChoklitReign said:
How do I bind grenades to my mouse's side button? You can always spot a bad PC port when you can't bind side buttons. It's a Razer Deathadder. Both Razer's drivers and GlovePie have failed me.
Mine binded without issue...

bengraven said:
Okay, this is strange as well.

I normally don't do this kind of thing, but here goes:

4gb RAM
Nvidia 9800GT
Quad Duo 2.5ghz

WTF should I have the settings at to run smoothly?

I started with everything maxed and it ran fine, sometimes 60+ fps, then after that bandit attack it seems like there is quite a bit of tearing and frequent sudden and drastic frame drops while TURNING. That's my major issue, my character turns and suddenly it's just a bit, blurry janky piece of shit.

I already dropped foliage settings to low (I don't care about grass), that on and went down to just 1024×768 and I'm considering turning off depth of field as depressing as that is.

Okay, maybe I'm being picky. :p

I think you should be getting better performance, the jarring movement and tearing while turning the character is exactly the same as what happened to me but this only happened in the first area up until I met Zed, after that I have been able to play at max settings and max resolution without any drops in framerate. I think *hypothetically* you should be able to run on medium settings.

What do you have anisotropic filtering set at? I would turn that down first before turning the detail levels down.

Top Bottom