• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fleet of Foot said:
•When driving the car, I have to look at my map way too often. I wish the marker showing you where to go was dynamic, so that it was showing me where to go at that moment, not just my ultimate goal. Because of this, I rarely get into the flow of driving.

This is where playing splitscreen rocks. When my brother and I play, one of us drives, and the other brings up the map screen. It's like playing Borderlands DS! (Since we're on SD, the split is horizontal)

--

We played with Mordecai and Brick at first, and after beating the game, we've switched to Roland and Lilith. What a different play experience! Brick was such a great tank... Roland's Turret blows at first, with it'low damage VS lasting time, and it takes AGES to recharge! Doesn't feel worthwhile starting off at all... But as the levels start to stack, we both start finding our character niches, and it starts to get fun and tactical all over again.

But man, those first few levels...

I felt like the first playthrough was a little too easy towards the middle to the end . . . does the 2nd playthrough stay difficult the whole way through?

Jamesfrom818 said:
To put it in Final Fantasy terms, Soldier is white mage while Siren is black mage.

I suppose. I prefer to engage enemies from medium to long range but I'm having a slightly tougher time with my Hunter than I did with my Siren. Maybe its because I'm not relying on the fire damage to kill most enemies.
Now put it in D&D terms!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I love the game, but Gamespy Arcade and the erratic connection success with Borderlands can DIE IN A TIN CAN OF FLAMING POOP!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Houston3000 said:
Soldier: Paladin + Cleric + Fighter
Hunter: Ranger + Rogue/Thief
Siren: Sorcerer + Assassin
Brick: Barbarian + Monk

Now LotR!

EDIT:

...:lol

For those who have been having trouble with Gamespy even after having forwarded the necessary ports, http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=80700

I have had no trouble with public games, hosting or joining, so I've been able to play fine, but can't host or join private games consistently... so I'll give this a shot later. Kind of a ridiculous fix :p

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
i know its been said before, but man was that ending dissapointing. to be fair i didnt really know what was going on leading up to it story wise, but what a let down. was having so much fun with the game and now I dont even really feel like playing anymore.

Hawkian said:
Now LotR!

EDIT:

...:lol

For those who have been having trouble with Gamespy even after having forwarded the necessary ports, http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=80700

I have had no trouble with public games, hosting or joining, so I've been able to play fine, but can't host or join private games consistently... so I'll give this a shot later. Kind of a ridiculous fix :p

Soldier: Human
Hunter: Elf
Siren: Elf
Brick: Dwarf
Claptrap:Frodo

Deadly said:
What is with all these stories of finding amazing loot?! I've only got 2 oranges and 1 of em I had to buy.

What level are you? I found 1 orange by level 18 and got a pearl weapon at 23, its all random obviously but level helps too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am amazed at how many GAFfers I am seeing on the game on Steam while I am work. Since 11 it's been at least 4 on at any given time. It's Monday! Shouldn't you guys be somewhere doing something?!?!

jealous

Hawkian said:
I am amazed at how many GAFfers I am seeing on the game on Steam while I am work. Since 11 it's been at least 4 on at any given time. It's Monday! Shouldn't you guys be somewhere doing something?!?!

jealous

4 Guys at my work have it and they all booked holiday on the same week, I found out last night when trying to play with them they had all leapt upto level 38, damn insidious plots!

Hawkian said:

I know it's been brought up in this thread before but the program GameRanger works perfectly for setting up and joining games in Borderlands. No port forwarding or anything required. My friend is behind a school firewall at his campus so he can't mess with any of that even if he wanted to (and he needs to be the one hosting since he's constantly a few quests behind me). It works for the Steam and non-Steam versions and seems super resource lite

That fix you posted sounds weird and may actually work but once the game is in progress I wonder if it's rejoinable if you drop. I haven't had problems since I downgraded my Nvidia drivers but some people seem to crash out of the game more often than not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes, and you put elf. :/

BTW, public games are awesome because you can join your friends' games and they can join yours just by clicking their names on the friends list. Just name it something wacky or say testing to keep useless nubs out.

Elves are skilled bowmen and have great vision and Mordi is a sniper how are you not getting this. Rangers are cry-babys who can't handle being kings.

Nightz

So I beat my first playthrough last night with my character at level 36. About how far into the second playthrough should I expect to get to 50?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I killed
One-Eyed Jack
with my level 24ish soldier and got the
MadJack
. I don't use
Pistols
, so I kept it and asked a friend to make a game so i could give it to my
Hunter
, which was level 10. It was an OK weapon with my soldier, but once I hit the level cap with my other character it became one hella awesome weapon.

Too bad we have to rely on other people to trade items. Please, gearbox, shared bank on Borderlands 2... please.

Edit: haha, I bolded instead of spoiler-mark... oops.

Anyone been having trouble with the Skagzilla mission? Everytime I try it it crashes my PC and locks it up. I think it's a graphics problem because the screen goes a dark black/blue with a tint in one corner. The game's been fine until now. Checked my GPU and the temp never gets above 56c (Nvidia GTX260). It's a Steam game. Currently verifying the game to see if that helps.

Firestorm

Hawkian said:
Yes, and you put elf. :/

BTW, public games are awesome because you can join your friends' games and they can join yours just by clicking their names on the friends list. Just name it something wacky or say testing to keep useless nubs out.
Or just play Private and invite them >_>; I've decided to go through with two other friends as a group. We don't play unless the other two are now. They're always playing Torchlight anyway >=[ Everyone else I know just levelled too fast for me because of my schedule.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Firestorm said:
Or just play Private and invite them >_>; I've decided to go through with two other friends as a group. We don't play unless the other two are now. They're always playing Torchlight anyway >=[ Everyone else I know just levelled too fast for me because of my schedule.

Your friends should do what i did with my friends. Since I have free time, I made a character So i can play single player (for the story) and another character i won't play unless they're on.

I can get my fix and we don't get too far apart.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Firestorm said:

Hey Firestorm, awesome job totally missing my point :D

If you're playing a public game, your friends can see you and join you without needing to be invited. You can have buddies that you didn't know were online join your game. I don't know why this wasn't enabled for private games, since it's only people on your friends list who could see you're in a game anyway. But alas.

Anyway, private games still sometimes have trouble for me (and apparently Tekno) anyway. Public always work flawlessly.

Firestorm

drizzle said:
Your friends should do what i did with my friends. Since I have free time, I made a character So i can play single player (for the story) and another character i won't play unless they're on.

I can get my fix and we don't get too far apart.
Nah, it gives me the time to play other games I've been neglecting! Also, it's actually me they usually have to wait for due to them being full time students and me being on a co-op term. I'm actually one of those people who like sticking with one character. I don't think I'll ever even make an alt.

Hawkian said:
Hey Firestorm, awesome job totally missing my point :D

If you're playing a public game, your friends can see you and join you without needing to be invited. You can have buddies that you didn't know were online join your game. I don't know why this wasn't enabled for private games, since it's only people on your friends list who could see you're in a game anyway. But alas.

Anyway, private games still sometimes have trouble for me (and apparently Tekno) anyway. Public always work flawlessly.
Wouldn't they need to know your username anyway unless they wanted to browse the many public servers? I never bothered clicking Public after the first time I did it by mistake. It froze my game completely. I have no intention with even having to deal with strangers anyway =P I'll play with some GAFfers once I hit second playthrough though!

Teknoman

drizzle said:
GearBox needs to fix shitty routers/dumb people that don't know how to route ports?

How are they going to do that?

Some kinda work around hopefully? :lol

Seriously though, the game is still tons of fun, but it sucks that ports need to be forwarded at the time. Shouldnt be necessary to do things like this in 2009. Especially when there was that big PC developers initiative a few years ago to band together and make PC gaming as accessible (software wise) as console gaming is.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep, you have to have added them to your friends list. I'm saying if someone in your friend's list is in a public game, you can just click their name and join it, whereas you can't if they're in a private. There's no distinction between friends-only and invite-only for this game, it just says "Joinable: Yes (public) or No (private)"

So if I just start a public game and go about my business, it's like singleplayer (I've actually never had anyone join that wasn't on my friends list, due to unappealing room titles I'd think) except my friends can join me if they see me online and want to, without needing an invite.

Psy-Phi

SirButterstick said:
I felt like the first playthrough was a little too easy towards the middle to the end . . . does the 2nd playthrough stay difficult the whole way through?
Until you hit level 50, yes. Maybe level 48 or 49. Try not to do too many sidequests. You'll level too

Masaki_

Teknoman said:

Seriously though, the game is still tons of fun, but it sucks that ports need to be forwarded at the time. Shouldnt be necessary to do things like this in 2009. Especially when there was that big PC developers initiative a few years ago to band together and make PC gaming as accessible (software wise) as console gaming is.

Portforwarding is inevitable when you have to connect to other users. What REALLY sucks is the lack of dedicated servers.

Teknoman said:

We might as well give everyone a leather jacket so we can all be part of the Hells Angels while we are at it.

Houston3000 said:
GameRanger works perfectly for setting up and joining games in Borderlands..

Wow. Blast from the past. I remember when GR was mac-only a million years (more like 10) ago. I used to be on GR 24/7. Good times.

Aw damn, I was doing so well to avoid it, saving my money.

Now I'm gonna have to pick it up as the only excuse I had left was "I don't want to buy 2 copies so me and my brother could play".

:lol Why did I come in here!

Mrbob

I've forwarded ports, disabled firewalls, and still have issue getting into games online.

Someone made a nice post on the official Borderland forums about all the promises Gearbox made with the PC game before release and how broken it is by comparison. I think this game is good, but fix your shit Gearbox. I still hold the opinion of this company being a second tier developer until they can launch a great game and have no major technical issues. Why am I manually tweaking ini files like this is a 1990s pc game release? It is embarrassing frankly. Good game (best Gearbox has made so I'll stick with it), horrible pc implementation from virtually top to bottom. PC version was delayed for a day 1 patch which has yet to hit.

http://kotaku.com/5365470/pc-version-of-borderlands-delayed

C Jones

I have a question about split screen (Xbox 360): How does the game handle this in regards to system profiles and memory? For example, I have two accounts on my 360. When this game is played split screen, can each person sign in with their own account and save a character to that account? Or will "player 2" have to use a character that's created on the "player 1" account?

Basically what I'm hoping for is that each account has a character saved on that account. So if we aren't playing split screen, we can sign into our individual accounts and level our characters. This is something a huge amount of split screen games neglect as they only save game data to one account (Earth Defense Force is just one example, and I think the new Marvel Ultimate Alliance Game is guilty of this too, if I understood Dan Hsu's complaints correctly).

Syneisha

Neo Member
Apologies for my ignorance if this has been asked, I did check. Was thinking of picking up the PS3 version since my 360 is on death's door. Curious to know if EU players can play NA players however.

Deadly

kyo_daikun said:
What level are you? I found 1 orange by level 18 and got a pearl weapon at 23, its all random obviously but level helps too.

I'm freakin level 42. Anyone know how messaging friends work? I know the default button is "Y" but then I have no idea if the persons received it :lol

Jamesfrom818 said:
Siren is awesome at solo play. Controller skills are a must. Mind Games seriously turns this game into easy mode. Sometimes, I feel bad for having it.

Just started a Siren for co-op play with my roommate and im looking at a build that goes up the Assassin tree to grab Phase Strike, but im not sure if I should go Elemental for Quicksilver/Spark/Venom/Phoenix (and Striking) or go Controller with Striking/Dramatic/Hard2Get/MindGames (and Quicksilver). Im starting to lean towards the latter though.

And on my "main" single player Hunter, ive just maxed out the Sniper tree and im curious if a fully upgraded Bloodwing is that great. I cant say I use him much as it is since he struggles finding opponents at long range, and im not exactly sure there would be that many situations where he could hit 6 enemies at once anyways. So im thinking about going up the Gunslinger tree instead for Relentless (not to mention the flexibility of using revolvers if i find a real good Masher).

Any opinions on this folks?

Blizzard

Banned
drizzle said:
GearBox needs to fix shitty routers/dumb people that don't know how to route ports?

How are they going to do that?
As I've stated, I'm no genius, but I develop software for a living and semi-regularly debug with router/network issues. I've used Wireshark etc. I have a cursory understanding of computers.

And I've tried two different OSes, tried swapping my router in and out, tried forwarding a bunch of different ports, tried disabling the Windows firewall, tried disabling all Avast services, tried multiple GameSpy accounts, tried redownloading the whole 7GB game, and yet I still can't add friends to my friends list or see any friends online -- it instantly kicks me back off GameSpy. And when I have tried hosting public games with ports forwarded, public people join my lobby (thus indicating it's PRESUMABLY working), and yet a Steam friend I'm trying to play with might not be able to see or even join my game. I don't know if it filters by ping or what, but I doubt it, considering the games I've joined with 0.5-1.0 second ping (or more).

So there are definitely problems, even if my friends list problem is unique. I still haven't actually emailed the support email address though, only posted on their forum.

I'll ask again, and sorry if someone tested this. Go to your friends list in Borderlands, and try to add someone (who's already on your list). Enter their name, and then HOVER over the OK button without clicking it. Does it instantly send the request, or do you have to click? With my game, it instantly tries to send the request.

Top Bottom