• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Lakedaimon said:
Just started a Siren for co-op play with my roommate and im looking at a build that goes up the Assassin tree to grab Phase Strike, but im not sure if I should go Elemental for Quicksilver/Spark/Venom/Phoenix (and Striking) or go Controller with Striking/Dramatic/Hard2Get/MindGames (and Quicksilver). Im starting to lean towards the latter though.

And on my "main" single player Hunter, ive just maxed out the Sniper tree and im curious if a fully upgraded Bloodwing is that great. I cant say I use him much as it is since he struggles finding opponents at long range, and im not exactly sure there would be that many situations where he could hit 6 enemies at once anyways. So im thinking about going up the Gunslinger tree instead for Relentless (not to mention the flexibility of using revolvers if i find a real good Masher).

Any opinions on this folks?

I haven't played a hunter so I'm not sure if I'm reading properly into your "6 enemies at a time" here, but in playthrough 2 you'll get to a bunch of areas where the enemies just keep on coming. The beginning in particular has several skag spawning areas where they absolutely smother you.

Firestorm

Blizzard said:
As I've stated, I'm no genius, but I develop software for a living and semi-regularly debug with router/network issues. I've used Wireshark etc. I have a cursory understanding of computers.

And I've tried two different OSes, tried swapping my router in and out, tried forwarding a bunch of different ports, tried disabling the Windows firewall, tried disabling all Avast services, tried multiple GameSpy accounts, tried redownloading the whole 7GB game, and yet I still can't add friends to my friends list or see any friends online -- it instantly kicks me back off GameSpy. And when I have tried hosting public games with ports forwarded, public people join my lobby (thus indicating it's PRESUMABLY working), and yet a Steam friend I'm trying to play with might not be able to see or even join my game. I don't know if it filters by ping or what, but I doubt it, considering the games I've joined with 0.5-1.0 second ping (or more).

So there are definitely problems, even if my friends list problem is unique. I still haven't actually emailed the support email address though, only posted on their forum.

I'll ask again, and sorry if someone tested this. Go to your friends list in Borderlands, and try to add someone (who's already on your list). Enter their name, and then HOVER over the OK button without clicking it. Does it instantly send the request, or do you have to click? With my game, it instantly tries to send the request.
You have to hover over their name and click "Enter" for me I believe.

Phoenix is a fun skill but it's god damn dangerous if there are any explosive barrels around. :lol

I end up getting killed by barrels more than anything else.

Hellsing321 said:
Phoenix is a fun skill but it's god damn dangerous if there are any explosive barrels around. :lol

I end up getting killed by barrels more than anything else.
they fixed that in the update

Lakedaimon said:
Just started a Siren for co-op play with my roommate and im looking at a build that goes up the Assassin tree to grab Phase Strike, but im not sure if I should go Elemental for Quicksilver/Spark/Venom/Phoenix (and Striking) or go Controller with Striking/Dramatic/Hard2Get/MindGames (and Quicksilver). Im starting to lean towards the latter though.

And on my "main" single player Hunter, ive just maxed out the Sniper tree and im curious if a fully upgraded Bloodwing is that great. I cant say I use him much as it is since he struggles finding opponents at long range, and im not exactly sure there would be that many situations where he could hit 6 enemies at once anyways. So im thinking about going up the Gunslinger tree instead for Relentless (not to mention the flexibility of using revolvers if i find a real good Masher).

Any opinions on this folks?

The Borderlands site is blocked from work so I can't use the skill tree thing but here's what my Siren currently looks like

Controller
5/5 Diva
5/5 Inner Glow
5/5 Hard 2 Get
1/5 Girl Power
4/5 Mind Games

Elemental
5/5 Quicksilver

Assassin (I don't remember the names for some of these)
5/5 Critical Hits
5/5 Increased melee and Phasewalk duration
5/5 High Velocity
2/5 Decreased Phasewalk cooldown per kill

Since I mainly use a Hellfire SMG, I don't need any points in Spark. When I start running into level 50 enemies, I'm probably going to respec to max out Mind Games. I'm puzzled as to what I'll do with the rest though.

practice02 said:
they fixed that in the update
Didn't notice any fix last night when I was playing on the xbox version, and that was after the update.

I still get downed from making the mistake of killing someone while I'm anywhere near a barrel or two. Hell, I damage EVERYTHING near me when I'm in phoenix mode.

Edit: And the 360 patch doesn't mention anything about Phoenix fixes.
10/30 Patch Notes

practice02 said:
are you playing on PC? because if *not* then they didn't patch it. sorry.
Fixed that for you?

Quick question for PC players:

I just got the game on PC and am wondering if there were any updates or tweaks to fix all the issues it had (no AA, etc.)

Smash88

Banned
What is funny about this game is that it resets your .ini files after DST, then you actually have to restart the game itself in order for the ports to take affect. I have never seen anything like this. :lol

Otherwise, loving the game so far.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Anybody know of a resource for vending machine locations (particularly gun). I'd like to find some in high level zones. My guns are in the low to mid 20s and i'm like level 35. Even the last boss dropped a lvl 22 shotgun lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Linkzg said:
Quick question for PC players:

I just got the game on PC and am wondering if there were any updates or tweaks to fix all the issues it had (no AA, etc.)
Yup.

.ini editing and use your graphics control panel to enable AA.

Sol.. said:
Anybody know of a resource for vending machine locations (particularly gun). I'd like to find some in high level zones. My guns are in the low to mid 20s and i'm like level 35. Even the last boss dropped a lvl 22 shotgun lol.
I think the last gun vending machine in the game is right beside the New-U in Salt Flats.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I think the last gun vending machine in the game is right beside the New-U in Salt Flats.

which new-u? I think i saw one near whatever one i first unlocked when i discovered the zone.

Jayge

I doubt God's Beard will be posting here for a while :-( what the fuck gave him the idea that it would be a good thing to post that in the OT Love Story thread :lol

---

On-topic, playthrough 2 is just flat-out annoying. I seem to be slowly climbing my way out of a valley composed of fairly low weapon stats and an increased density and power boost for monsters by several orders of magnitude. It was getting on my nerves so I had to get off for the night. I was expecting it to be a bit more fun.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Yup.

I didn't know you needed to do .ini editing to do it, but from the shots Hawkian posted, enabling AA makes gun outlines and stuff ugly and purple, at least in the interface. I actually found myself basically unbothered by the lack of AA, once I fixed the vsync.

And no, PC version hasn't been patched, for whoever asked.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
I didn't know you needed to do .ini editing to do it, but from the shots Hawkian posted, enabling AA makes gun outlines and stuff ugly and purple, at least in the interface. I actually found myself basically unbothered by the lack of AA, once I fixed the vsync.

And no, PC version hasn't been patched, for whoever asked.
Mainly being FOV and some menu / toggle stuff.

My AA works fine with nHancer.

@Jayge - Get better guns dude! Or respec and see if something else works better for you.

Jayge

Hazaro said:
@Jayge - Get better guns dude! Or respec and see if something else works better for you.
For some reason, I hadn't even considered that. I had totally finished out my Sniper tree which helped a ton with shielded foes at the end of the game, but that really doesn't matter against Skags. I think I'm going to have to respec and put more focus down the center to get Bloodwing to support me a lot more. Thanks for the suggestion!

The problem for me with the better guns thing is that I'm a stingy bastard. When I see something that costs 300,000 with stats less than some of my level 29 weapons I'm like "wut." Always searching though.

I have a feeling it'll get easier as I go; but I'm probably wrong, knowing myself :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On God's Beard,

While I didn't think it was the most egregiously tacky thing I've seen said on GAF... no, it wasn't a good idea. :lol Poor GB. We must mourn! Only a 3-month ban at least.

You don't need to do any ini tweaks for AA. He meant for the other stuff.

And yeah, driver-level AA works great, even playable with supersampling for me (though below what I'd like for a framerate- I would use 16x MSAA). But it causes funky purple outlines in item cards. Not sure why, but I imagine it has something to do with the way the black edges are rendered in 2d, and probably why they didn't include it in the options.

Like Blizzard said, performance is so good and the art style is such that no AA ended up not really bothering me after all, so I switched it back off.

Jayge: You know you can crit Skags by shooting into their mouths when they're open, right?

Also, an elemental sniper with lower damage will do much more to help out than a regular sniper even with 100 more damage.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jayge said:
For some reason, I hadn't even considered that. I had totally finished out my Sniper tree which helped a ton with shielded foes at the end of the game, but that really doesn't matter against Skags. I think I'm going to have to respec and put more focus down the center to get Bloodwing to support me a lot more. Thanks for the suggestion!

The problem for me with the better guns thing is that I'm a stingy bastard. When I see something that costs 300,000 with stats less than some of my level 29 weapons I'm like "wut." Always searching though.

I have a feeling it'll get easier as I go; but I'm probably wrong, knowing myself :lol
Re-remember that fire is your friend.
You'll also be drowning in Alpha skags so a good corrosive weapon is going to be your friend soon.

A nice pistol for both is fantastic, especially with your skill (basically 1.4x rate of fire).
I know my corrosive x3 pistol got me out of a lot of tough places, I'd give it to you if I hadn't sold it. Only have level 43/48 items now.

*If you are still feeling frustrated go farm new haven in playthrough 1 for a nice gun or two.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
^What he said

Try respecing of course, you might even find something you really like, but don't necessarily abandon your build. A few tweaks and some gun choices might go a long way for you.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. I did a couple New Haven runs this morning before leaving for work. I found a 213x7 masher with accuracy in the mid 70s. I can't wait to try it out.

Hazaro said:
Yup.

ok, thanks.

btw, anyone else get the retail version? this is taking forever to install. It's stuck half way and has steadily increasing the expected install time (15 and rising from 8).

Woo-Fu

Banned
I wouldn't respec just for Skags. After you get out of the starter area they are few and far between, with one rather large exception. :D

I went mostly sniper spec and when I have to kill skags I pull out a nice SMG that has the red text "we don't need no water". Well, unless it is a badass flaming Skagg, if it is one of those I look for high ground and start running. Fighting Skaggs is mostly about getting out of their way and shooting them in the mouth whenever they get tired of chasing you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jamesfrom818 said:
I found a 213x7 masher with accuracy in the mid 70s. I can't wait to try it out.

AFHSJSKJHKJHDKASJHDKJGSDK JHSD where is mine.

If you ever decide you don't want that... :-[

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hawkian said:
AFHSJSKJHKJHDKASJHDKJGSDK JHSD where is mine.

If you ever decide you don't want that... :-[

I see a masher every 3rd or 4th New Haven run. They're not that rare, at least not compared to trying to get the red text sniper rifle version of the same mod, which I've seen exactly once. :D

NullPointer said:
Didn't notice any fix last night when I was playing on the xbox version, and that was after the update.

I still get downed from making the mistake of killing someone while I'm anywhere near a barrel or two. Hell, I damage EVERYTHING near me when I'm in phoenix mode.

Edit: And the 360 patch doesn't mention anything about Phoenix fixes.
10/30 Patch Notes

Fixed that for you?
but if you read the full patch list where they talk about issues on all the platforms the lilith problem is addressed:
http://ctrlaltkill.org/?p=2323

I finally found a halfway decent Mauler (only 45x7) and I think its pretty good. Just waiting to find one that does some real damage, for whatever reason I havent found many

So I got borderlands when it came out for PC. I tweaked the config files to my liking. I got a new hard drive, windows 7 and upgrading a video card. So i needed to do a fresh install of everything, so i saved my borderlands folder to another drive. Figured id just overwrite the newly downloaded Borderlands off steam. Problems is, now the folder structure is completely different, even the config files. Before they were in a folder called willow? Was there an update that changed everything?

Nome

So, everyone's hating on rockets. I haven't tried rockets much.

Why's no one hating on sniper rifles? Sniper rifles have terrible reload speeds, terrible fire rates, ridiculous sway while scoped, and abysmal clip and magazine sizes. Revolvers have equal if not superior damage, don't affect your sprint speed, and SLIGHTLY worse accuracy. Rockets will at least do AoE damage.

Try speccing Gunslinger vs Sniper on Mordecai and you'll see what I mean. It's ridiculous how worthless snipers are. The ONLY use I've had for snipers is using an explosive sniper to take out turrets--then again, my revolver can do the same thing, just without zoom.

Woo-Fu said:
One thing I like about explosive over the other three is that it delivers its damage all at once instead of as a DoT. Then again, I don't think I've come across a 4x explosive lvl 48 sniper rifle worth using.
Decent guns with an Explosive elemental are extremely beneficial to Brick. I have a mediocre SMG with a x3 Explosive boost that becomes somewhat devastating in his hands because a couple of the perks in his skill tree boost that type of damage considerably. Moreso after I invested a point or two in Master Blaster (which receives a +3 boost thanks to my class mod) that not only temporarily increases the rate of fire and damage of any gun after a kill, but has the ability to regenerate rockets as well. Not only that, but I've spent points in another perk that allows explosive damage of any kind to quickly reduce the cooldown of Berserk. Takes approximately 10 seconds or so before I can use it again if more or less 90% of my SMG bullets connect, as the clip size of my current one is 55.

So gratifying once you get the ball rolling.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Online is complete and utter turd. With all the comments from the developers, I expected L4D quality drop in and out. I'm *still* having trouble connecting to people, and when I do, so many people suck!
Random assumption here, but it sounds to me as if you haven't really bothered configuring your router / forwarding ports. Drop-in drop-out is smooth on my end (on Xbox 360).

Mo the Hawk said:
What's the deal with those "holy crap they shoot rockets" shotguns anyway? They seem to fire invisible projectiles at a really slow velocity and wide spread. They're like T.K.'s Wave but even shittier.
You can see their projectiles, though admittedly they aren't very clear. Missile-equipped shotguns are actually solid once you figure out where to aim for maximum splash damage.

DeadGzuz said:
My buddy and I just got our copies. what two classes work well together? Are there any two-man combos that don't work? We are still pisses at Too Human because the two classes we picked were awful together.
Lilith - Brick can be a dangerous team in the late game. Both can inflict plenty of damage together if they have skills that compliment one another to some extent, especially when both of 'em can dizzy enemies with relative ease.

That said: there doesn't seem to be a character combo that's anywhere near awful based on the posts from other players here.

Teknoman said:
Some kinda work around hopefully? :lol

Seriously though, the game is still tons of fun, but it sucks that ports need to be forwarded at the time. Shouldnt be necessary to do things like this in 2009. Especially when there was that big PC developers initiative a few years ago to band together and make PC gaming as accessible (software wise) as console gaming is.
_Masaki already said basically the same thing, but forwarding ports has been a necessity for peer-to-peer gaming for a long time and it will continue to be like that.

C Jones said:
I have a question about split screen (Xbox 360): How does the game handle this in regards to system profiles and memory? For example, I have two accounts on my 360. When this game is played split screen, can each person sign in with their own account and save a character to that account? Or will "player 2" have to use a character that's created on the "player 1" account?

Basically what I'm hoping for is that each account has a character saved on that account. So if we aren't playing split screen, we can sign into our individual accounts and level our characters. This is something a huge amount of split screen games neglect as they only save game data to one account (Earth Defense Force is just one example, and I think the new Marvel Ultimate Alliance Game is guilty of this too, if I understood Dan Hsu's complaints correctly).
Both players can use their own profile-bound character during split-screen.

Jayge said:
On-topic, playthrough 2 is just flat-out annoying. I seem to be slowly climbing my way out of a valley composed of fairly low weapon stats and an increased density and power boost for monsters by several orders of magnitude. It was getting on my nerves so I had to get off for the night. I was expecting it to be a bit more fun.
It does get annoying during single player, but it's a hoot in co-op. Borderlands is multiplayer-focused after all.

Hellsing321 said:
It only says that her Phase Strike has been fixed. Nothing about Phoenix not causing barrels to explode(Which might not even be bug. It could just be the way they want it to work).
but the phase strike also was causing barrels to explode as I understand.

Loudninja

Casval said:

Why's no one hating on sniper rifles? Sniper rifles have terrible reload speeds, terrible fire rates, ridiculous sway while scoped, and abysmal clip and magazine sizes. Revolvers have equal if not superior damage, don't affect your sprint speed, and SLIGHTLY worse accuracy. Rockets will at least do AoE damage.

Try speccing Gunslinger vs Sniper on Mordecai and you'll see what I mean. It's ridiculous how worthless snipers are. The ONLY use I've had for snipers is using an explosive sniper to take out turrets--then again, my revolver can do the same thing, just without zoom.

You didn't find the right sniper than.

For those who have this on PC, is there a way to have shadows that both don't look ugly and don't violate my computer. It's ridiculous that the first thing to seriously challenge my computer are ugly dynamic shadows in this game.

Casval said:

I found a Hyperion sniper really early on with nice damage, +43 fire rate and +43 accuracy and a couple of other modifiers. It was a beast, and now I want a new Hyperion rifle. I loved the way this one shot, and you could tell the bullets were firing faster and farther. It had a shitty scope though :(

Nome

Loudninja said:
You didn't find the right sniper than.

Or you don't have the right revolver ;)

Define "right sniper."

BudokaiMR2 said:
I found a Hyperion sniper really early on with nice damage, +43 fire rate and +43 accuracy and a couple of other modifiers. It was a beast, and now I want a new Hyperion rifle. I loved the way this one shot, and you could tell the bullets were firing faster and farther. It had a shitty scope though :(

If you enjoy one-shotting with snipers, you'd enjoy revolvers then. I'm convinced revolvers are the best guns in the game when specced with Gunslinger.

elrechazao said:
I have a great volcano sniper at lvl 34, and my corrosive revolver destroys it, having specced out both.

This is exactly what happened to me. I've found that snipers have absolutely no use whatsoever compared to revolvers.

My current favorite revolver: Pestilent Defiler (lvl 43)
Damage: 372
Accuracy: 91.7
Fire Rate: 1.9
Magazine: 6
Elemental: x4 Corrosive

My current best sniper: Cobalt Volcano (lvl 43)
Damage: 560
Accuracy: 97.8
Fire Rate: 0.8
Elemental: x4 Incendiary

Just by those numbers alone you can already see that the Revolver has a much higher DPS. If you spec Gunslinger, it goes up even more. What's also awesome is that I have a revolver that regens ammo at a stupidly high rate, so I never run out of Revolver ammo either.

yggdrasill said:
What's an effective way to kill Bruisers? I can't find a gun with enough power to kill these bastards quickly.

Incendiary and Corrosive guns destroy *everything* except for
guardians

Woo-Fu

Banned
Casval said:

My sniper rifles reload near instantly, fire as fast as I can pull the trigger, have zero sway, crit for anywhere between 3k and 20k, and my main rifle holds 11 rounds. Oh yeah, it does AoE too if I'm using an elemental rifle.

Basically, the only difference between sniper rifles and pistols is the skills and mod you back either of them up with.

I get the feeling I'm going to have to make a video.

Casval said:

Define "right sniper."

If you enjoy one-shotting with snipers, you'd enjoy revolvers then. I'm convinced revolvers are the best guns in the game when specced with Gunslinger.

This is exactly what happened to me. I've found that snipers have absolutely no use whatsoever compared to revolvers.

My current favorite revolver: Pestilent Defiler (lvl 43)
Damage: 372
Accuracy: 91.7
Fire Rate: 1.9
Elemental: x4 Corrosive

My current best sniper: Cobalt Volcano (lvl 43)
Damage: 560
Accuracy: 97.8
Fire Rate: 0.8
Elemental: x4 Incendiary

Just by those numbers alone you can already see that the Revolver has a much higher DPS. If you spec Gunslinger, it goes up even more. What's also awesome is that I have a revolver that regens ammo at a stupidly high rate, so I never run out of Revolver ammo either.

Incendiary and Corrosive guns destroy *everything* except for
guardians

Same here, I'm running in and out of dudes headshotting the shit out of them, and don't have to deal with the slowdown of using the sniper rifle. It's like the wild west, bang bang bang left and right while highly mobile. Loving my acid flesh melting revolver :D

Deadly

Casval said:

Not everyone plays a hunter.

Nome

Woo-Fu said:
My sniper rifles reload near instantly, fire as fast as I can pull the trigger, have zero sway, crit for anywhere between 3k and 20k, and my main rifle holds 11 rounds. Oh yeah, it does AoE too if I'm using an elemental rifle.

Basically, the only difference between sniper rifles and pistols is the skills and mod you back either of them up with.

I get the feeling I'm going to have to make a video.

You should make the video :p
Because all my current revolvers reload nearly instantly, fire ridiculously fast (I can hold down the fire button though), and 2-5 shot LVL50 non-bad
mutha
enemies without critting them--and these are sub 45 revolvers.

Deadly said:
Not everyone plays a hunter.

Yes, but the debate is between snipers and revolvers, which is why I brought up gunslinger.

Top Bottom