• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Woo-Fu

Banned
Casval said:
You should make the video :p
Because all my current revolvers reload nearly instantly, fire ridiculously fast (I can hold down the fire button though), and 2-5 shot LVL50 non-bad
mutha
enemies without critting them--and these are sub 45 revolvers.

I 1-shot Lv50 normal mobs with body shots. Can run around no-scoping normal mobs all day long.

I suspect that any class can do so with whatever weapon they've specced, so using it as a barometer of weapon performance isn't saying much.

Blizzard

Banned
I can 1-shot
spitter?
scags by driving through them with my yellow moonbuggy vehicle thing, so you can all just stop bragging now. I win.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I completely underestimated the Brick's blaster tree...like fuck!

You get master blaster = 60% fire rate increase when you kill a dude.
You get the +50% damage upon a kill.
You get the +15% bonus to explosive damage.
You get an explosive elemental SMG.
You ruin the entire galaxy in mere seconds and drain clips even faster.

HOLY FUCK :lol

Level 41 now, and I must have had (no joke) like a 10 minute fight with me and a billion skags on my way to do the Moe and Marley quest. Holy shit they just kept pouring in...I must have woken up two hives (maybe three?!) at the same time, cause it was just endless.

RubxQub said:

Hmm, I just found a sweet ass orange elemental SMG with explosive x4 damage. I should lvl my brick up a bit and see how this all works :D

Nome

Woo-Fu said:
I 1-shot Lv50 normal mobs with body shots. Can run around no-scoping normal mobs all day long.

I suspect that any class can do so with whatever weapon they've specced, so using it as a barometer of weapon performance isn't saying much.

Weapon and build details? It seems like you're using some really, really good sniper. I'm sure if you had an equal level revolver it'd be the same.

My Mordecai build.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
elrechazao said:
Hmm, I just found a sweet ass orange elemental SMG with explosive x4 damage. I should lvl my brick up a bit and see how this all works :D
It's all fun and games until the first guy drops and then you go into psycho mode and just rip the shit out of everything that stands in your way.

I thought the Siren's passive +20% rate of fire was cool...but +60% is just comically awesome. I'm still in awe at just how insanely powerful the shots are and how hard the fools drop...and you get rockets when you kill people for fun Helix action!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just so we're clear. There's no splitscreen on the PC right? Practice was just fucking with me?

2 keyboards and mice is so beyond not a problem, have multiple gamepads as well. Would love to have an easy way to transfer stuff to mules!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Casval said:
Weapon and build details? It seems like you're using some really, really good sniper. I'm sure if you had an equal level revolver it'd be the same.

My Mordecai build.

I'll do screenshots of my loadout. In the meantime, people who like pistols with ammo regen could just get it on a mod and then use any pistol they want. I will have to admit that I've not found a sniper rifle with ammo regen, or a mod with sniper rifle ammo regen. :)

1paur4.jpg

Insaniac

Woo-Fu said:
I'll do screenshots of my loadout. In the meantime, people who like pistols with ammo regen could just get it on a mod and then use any pistol they want. I will have to admit that I've not found a sniper rifle with ammo regen, or a mod with sniper rifle ammo regen. :)

1paur4.jpg

I need that.

can you see all 5 mods on the xbox?

Rogosh

They exist. I carry around 2 mods on my hunter that regen either pistol or sniper ammo depending on what spec i'm currently using.

Red

Was carrying around a Volcano with a level 25 requirement since I was at level 10, then found a better gun right as I hit 24 :lol

Man, I've been wasting that space for nothing.

RubxQub said:

Level 41 now, and I must have had (no joke) like a 10 minute fight with me and a billion skags on my way to do the Moe and Marley quest. Holy shit they just kept pouring in...I must have woken up two hives (maybe three?!) at the same time, cause it was just endless.

Not that there are many 1 on 1 boss fights like Skagzilla but if you don't get that first kill, the bulk of Brick's power up is gone. Maybe its just me but I don't exactly like investing in skills that require me to kill something for it to activate for a few seconds.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm pretty sure I sold a shitload of good class mods the day before yesterday. I still didn't have the 5 line description mod installed (and also, most mods were for classes other than mine).

I only managed to salvage ONE mod for a Hunter, which I transferred to my alt, since it had +34% bloodwing damage and +2 Swift Strike.

I tried dueling with a Friend of mine (same level, 20) that went soldier and my bloodwing one-shots him. :lol

Red

Slayer-33 said:
What the hell does that do anyway? Boost backpack hp pots heals?
Heals you whenever you get a kill.

I don't see how it's useless at all, especially if you don't have a shield that heals you or a class mod with health regen.

Oh and my advice for anyone just starting. Try not to do too many side story missions. You're better off grinding so your weapon proficiency gains experience too.

Here was my main weapon I found for my hunter near the end of the game:

2iaak5z.jpg

Nothing Special, but I had trespass maxed, so all damage bypassed shields.

Plus this class mod helped

156ed1t.jpg

I was killing the end level enemies in one to two shots. Deadly and Smirk were also maxed, making criticals a experience gold mine.

Heres the shield I found

2ikzl2u.jpg

Insaniac

Crunched said:

I don't see how it's useless at all, especially if you don't have a shield that heals you or a class mod with health regen.

at level 5 it heals up to 15% of your health over 7 seconds after a kill, however its random as far as I can tell, it can go anywhere from 1% to 15%. It's not "useless" per se but to invest 5 points in it is not worth it. Compared to other healing abilities its just junk

Woo-Fu

Banned
Casval said:
Weapon and build details? It seems like you're using some really, really good sniper.

Stuff I use all the time(everything is level 48, the different numbers are because I dumped the images while wielding them):

2a5fayt.jpg

Spec:

Sniper Talents - 30 point(s)

# Focus - rank 5/5
# Caliber - rank 5/5
# Killer - rank 5/5
# Loaded - rank 5/5
# Carrion Call - rank 5/5
# Trespass - rank 5/5

Rogue Talents - 10 point(s)

# Swift Strike - rank 5/5
# Fast Hands - rank 5/5

Gunslinger Talents - 5 point(s)

# Deadly - rank 5/5

With 50 proficiency in sniper rifles I'm thinking of dropping loaded and focus, the benefits are not as important now as they were getting here. I do that I can get aerial impact and bird of prey.

Nome

TheHeretic said:
Wheres Arial Impact!!!!!

Otherwise we have the same build.

Aerial Impact I've found to be good, but in the long run kind of useless. I end up killing stuff so fast the daze effect doesn't equate to much against non-
Badmutha
mobs.

Right now, I've found the most efficient way to play Mordecai is to send out Bloodwing with either Incendiary or Corrosive powerup, then suicide charge in with either Incendiary or Corrosive revolvers and just hit as much stuff as possible. 80% of the time you will kill everything without taking health damage--10% of the time you will lose some health, but Bloodwing will give it all back--and the last 10% o the time, you will die, but get revived within 2 seconds from an enemy that just got burned/poisoned to death. This has worked for me both in SP and MP.

Woo-Fu said:
Stuff I use all the time(everything is level 48, the different numbers are because I dumped the images while wielding them):

With 50 proficiency in sniper rifles I'm thinking of dropping loaded and focus, the benefits are not as important now as they were getting here. I do that I can get aerial impact and bird of prey.

Steel Thunder looks amazing, although I still feel that in terms of overall damage potential, the ceiling for Revolvers is still a lot higher than it is for Snipers. For Snipers, a lot of the damage is probably getting wasted--most mobs only take a few shots to kill anyway with a Revolver, and Snipers are always going to lack the brainless spamming you can get with Revolvers. I think you can run faster with a Revolver than a Sniper too.

Insaniac

why in the world do gunslinger class mods have + to "Loaded" Skill? seems like it should've been "Hair Trigger' skill instead

(loaded is +to sniper mag size)

Woo-Fu

Banned
Casval said:
Steel Thunder looks amazing, although I still feel that in terms of overall damage potential, the ceiling for Revolvers is still a lot higher than it is for Snipers. For Snipers, a lot of the damage is probably getting wasted--most mobs only take a few shots to kill anyway with a Revolver, and Snipers are always going to lack the brainless spamming you can get with Revolvers. I think you can run faster with a Revolver than a Sniper too.

Wasted damage is something that is true for any weapon type when you're killing with 1-hit. I'll take wasted damage over wasted time and/or wasted ammo any day of the week. The sooner the creature is dead the less damage it is potentially doing to me. Steel thunder is a bullet hose which is fun to plink with but not really that useful in a real fight. Elemental damage is pretty much a requirement most places. It is good for spiderants. 11 rounds(7+4 from skills) allows you to kill 5 big spiderants before reloading with 1 round left over. Tap to the head, tap the abdomen when they turn, rinse and repeat. Smaller ones you can shoot anywhere with a volcano and they die in 1 hit.

You can run around brainlessly spamming any weapon, it is hardly what I'd consider a benefit unique to pistols---not that I'd really consider it a benefit to any weapon. That rocket launcher is a lot of fun for brainlessness, the rocket detonates about every 5-10 feet along its flight path, boom-boom-boom-boom-boom. Hard to see when you're shooting it yourself because the fireballs are in a line but looks pretty damned cool from the side. You can also shoot straight up into the sky and then sprint to the side a bit to see the string of explosions. About the only place I can wade into a pack of mobs and go brainless without dying is on Eridian Promontory and those things die with 1 body hit from sniper or shotgun. Try wading into the crimson legion and they'll be scraping you off the floor with a spatula.

Each of the smoke clouds in this picture was an AoE incendiary explosion. Shame there aren't that many places in the game where you can have fun with this.

2qdu45y.jpg

I can switch weapons by touching a key, if I'm really that worried about how fast I can sprint I just switch to a faster sprinting weapon. I run plenty fast when switched to that shotgun and if anything does catch me it gets the burning smiley face of death ballistically tattooed to its hide.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Crunched said:

Gah totally forgot lol.. Now I remember, ya it's that lol.. And I'm a Mordecai too :lol

I generally read the desc text only for that and not the actual talent most of the time.

Grecco

The Alien weapons are INSANE i got a green eridian weapon deals 260x9 Plus two different procs including a dot proc.

Im cutting through lvl 48 Crimson Lance like hot knives and butter.

Nome

Woo-Fu said:
Wasted damage is something that is true for any weapon type when you're killing with 1-hit. I'll take wasted damage over wasted time and/or wasted ammo any day of the week. The sooner the creature is dead the less damage it is potentially doing to me. Steel thunder is a bullet hose which is fun to plink with but not really that useful in a real fight. Elemental damage is pretty much a requirement most places. It is good for spiderants. 11 rounds(7+4 from skills) allows you to kill 5 big spiderants before reloading with 1 round left over. Tap to the head, tap the abdomen when they turn, rinse and repeat. Smaller ones you can shoot anywhere with a volcano and they die in 1 hit.

You can run around brainlessly spamming any weapon, it is hardly what I'd consider a benefit unique to pistols---not that I'd really consider it a benefit to any weapon. That rocket launcher is a lot of fun for brainlessness, the rocket detonates about every 5-10 feet along its flight path, boom-boom-boom-boom-boom. Hard to see when you're shooting it yourself because the fireballs are in a line but looks pretty damned cool from the side. You can also shoot straight up into the sky and then sprint to the side a bit to see the string of explosions. About the only place I can wade into a pack of mobs and go brainless without dying is on Eridian Promontory and those things die with 1 body hit from sniper or shotgun. Try wading into the crimson legion and they'll be scraping you off the floor with a spatula.

Each of the smoke clouds in this picture was an AoE incendiary explosion. Shame there aren't that many places in the game where you can have fun with this.

I can switch weapons by touching a key, if I'm really that worried about how fast I can sprint I just switch to a faster sprinting weapon. I run plenty fast when switched to that shotgun and if anything does catch me it gets the burning smiley face of death ballistically tattooed to its hide.

Actually, I rambo through Crimson Lance mobs without any problems. Even if I die, I get Second Winded within seconds from corrosive damage kills. Do revolvers win now? :lol

Grecco said:
The Alien weapons are INSANE i got a green eridian weapon deals 260x9 Plus two different procs including a dot proc.

Im cutting through lvl 48 Crimson Lance like hot knives and butter.

Which one is it? I didn't know Eridians did multiple procs. Crimson get destroyed by just about any corrosive weapon though, since their firepower isn't all that great.

Cahill

Banned
RubxQub said:

I literally just did this last night (also @ 41) as well with my Siren. They just kept coming, and coming and coming. I was like "Holy shit, they've been going at it like rabbits in those caves!"

Victrix

*beard*
I don't know if this has been discussed already but

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=80932

There's a 44 page thread on the GBX forums about the issue

Basically, weapons and items can have more than 5 modifiers, but the game is hardcoded to only show that many. And though on the PC version you can shrink the font size, it still won't show more than 5 mods.

Why does this matter? Because you can easily find a class mod that has, say, team shield regen or self SMG ammo regen, and not be able to see the mod! This also applies to high quality weapons, that can easily have multiple hidden modifiers. Hidden only because the UI won't show them!

Given that I own both the 360 and PC versions of the game, I've largely gritted my teeth at the stupid console port issues on the PC, since most can be fixed with some ini tinkering, but this one is just baffling. It's like having loot items in a Diablo game that don't show the bottom half of the mods.

MMaRsu

I'm level 23 already after three days of play or something :p. Mostly in splitscreen with my roommate, and the rest solo.

This game is awesoooooooooome

benjipwns

Banned
Recently got into the Dahl Headlands, okay, well, I'm doing the missions you get after you clear the ones you have to once you first get in. But I basically have come to the realization that this is more or less, despite any flaws, what I'd want an actual Western game to be like. (Ignoring the "tech" of course.)

If it wasn't for so many bandits about instead of critters of the planet, things would be perfect. (Throw me more "animals" instead of random bandit outposts!!!)

Still threatening to unseat Batman as my GOTY though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did you check out the Lost Caves?

Totally missed them prior to going into the Dahl Headlands too. Might help with your creature fix...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Casval said:
Actually, I rambo through Crimson Lance mobs without any problems. Even if I die, I get Second Winded within seconds from corrosive damage kills. Do revolvers win now? :lol
Nope, just your choice of playstyle. I don't need 2nd wind. :) If it truly were "without any problems" you wouldn't have to say "if I die."

There aren't any good corrosive rifles, I tried lighting them up with a defiler pistol before shooting them with sniper rifles and it didn't make any difference to how long it took to put down the badasses. The non-badasses are just a 1 body shot.

SmokyDave

Been playing this since Sunday and it's awesome. Now a level 17 Soldier and I'm starting to feel a lot more powerful. I really can't express how much I am enjoying this game other than to say I'm sitting at work counting down the minutes until I can go home and play it again. It's consuming me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hawkian said:

Totally missed them prior to going into the Dahl Headlands too. Might help with your creature fix...

I'm really trying to do EVERY QUEST on EVERY AREA before I move on. Makes me overleved for the rest of the game, but that's how I play MMOs, it's not going to be different here.

So i've been finding lots of creatures. There's another "lost caves find all corrosive crystals" quest ahead aswell, but that cave is filled with skags.

I've only seen 4 kinds of animals so far: Skags, Armored Ant things (shoot them in the belly!), Worms (from the Lost Caves) and Flying Rakks. BTW, there's a couple of Rakk Quests that are awesome fights.

taylor910

Jamesfrom818 said:
Oh and my advice for anyone just starting. Try not to do too many side story missions. You're better off grinding so your weapon proficiency gains experience too.

Could you explain this (grinding for proficiency) further? I usually like leveling on side quests so I can beast through the story line-

Victrix

*beard*
You don't need to grind, ever, that's silly advice

Weapon proficiency is simply experience gained -> whatever weapon you're wielding (whether you shoot it or not, if you have an Eridian gun out in a 4 player coop game, it's getting experience everytime someone else kills an enemy)

Because you gain so much more experience later in the game and in ng+, you can always level up a weapon you haven't used much very quickly later, so don't feel like you have to obsess over weapon usage. Just use whatever you want to raise.

Skipping side missions is a good idea though, especially if you're playing SP. If you play SP and do every mission, you'll be way overleveled for everything, which makes the game easy to the point of boring.

Instead, plow ahead in the main story so that all enemies are your level/level+1 or so, makes it more entertaining.

This is also true in coop, though coop is a bit harder, but its an intense and fun game in a 4p coop game with enemies right at your level.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
drizzle said:
I'm really trying to do EVERY QUEST on EVERY AREA before I move on. Makes me overleved for the rest of the game, but that's how I play MMOs, it's not going to be different here.

So i've been finding lots of creatures. There's another "lost caves find all corrosive crystals" quest ahead aswell, but that cave is filled with skags.

I've only seen 4 kinds of animals so far: Skags, Armored Ant things (shoot them in the belly!), Worms (from the Lost Caves) and Flying Rakks. BTW, there's a couple of Rakk Quests that are awesome fights.

You're missing either the purple crab worms or scythids, depending on which you meant by "worms." I know with almost complete certainty that the crab worms, scythids, and spiderants can all be found in the Lost Caves.

^I agree about not doing all the sidequests before moving on to keep from grinding above the challenge. Plus later you can go back and clean up quests which gives you an excuse to carve through hordes of pathetically underpowered mobs. Bandits in the Fyrestone area run from me now after the first couple exploding one-shots to their comrades :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Victrix said:
Nah, just save sidequests for other playthroughs/ng+ :p
I'll just do them all over again! On a game that has AT LEAST 4 characters (meaning at least 4 playthroughs) and the second play is the exact same game as the first play, repetition is not something i'm concerned about. :lol

Always room for more loot.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Woo-Fu said:

1paur4.jpg
Stupid obvious question that I should know the answer to already, but "pistol" on those things does mean both repeaters AND revolvers, right?

::edit::
Also, do modifiers stack on top of the listed stats, or are they already included? For instance, on this -

gamerecks said:

Does it actually do 589-590 because of the modifier, or does it do 341 because it would normally do 197 damage without the modifier?

Victrix

*beard*
The bonus is relative to a plain white weapon of that level (and mfg?). It shows the damage with the modifier included.

Lord Phol

LocoMrPollock said:
I think the color coding is fucked sometimes. A couple of the best guns I have ever found are white.

Have to agree with this, the loot is a bit too random IMO, you get so many blues and purples that the colors stop meaning anything. Unlike in diablo where when you stumbled upon something yellow you would almost jump up out of excitement :x.

benjipwns

Banned
Hawkian said:

Yeah, did that long ago. I assumed it'd be one of those drive here and spend a few minutes missions. Spent quite a bit longer down there...
Lord Phol said:
Have to agree with this, the loot is a bit too random IMO, you get so many blues and purples that the colors stop meaning anything. Unlike in diablo where when you stumbled upon something yellow you would almost jump up out of excitement :x.
I thought the coloring was the elemental coding until like yesterday, and I'm still not sure it means much.

I don't think it's comparing to what you have equipped, let alone what's in your inventory at all with the colors. I've just been glancing and if it seems like it'd be good equipping it for a few guys and if it's not delivering, just ditching/selling it and going back to what I had.

Guess that is kinda more realistic though.
RubxQub said:
Level 41 for Moe and Marley? I hope I'm being mistaken here or...

Top Bottom