• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

edgefusion

Davidion said:
No heal? Really? I've found it a lifesaver on several occasions but I guess it's just me. What do you rely on, shield gen and potions?

Does it really regen that much? I figured it wouldn't give me enough HP back for the points to be worth it. I keep a proper shield and a crappier shield with the health regen effect on it in my inventory and I switch between them for health regen and combat. Takes a lot of patience though and it's probably not a very good way of doing it.

Cahill

Banned
edgefusion said:
Does it really regen that much? I figured it wouldn't give me enough HP back for the points to be worth it. I keep a proper shield and a crappier shield with the health regen effect on it in my inventory and I switch between them for health regen and combat. Takes a lot of patience though and it's probably not a very good way of doing it.

I think it is. Get in a tight spot, Phase Blast, run away screaming like a little gir.. ermm I mean, "take evasive measures" and @ 7% a second it's back pretty quickly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cahill said:
I think it is. Get in a tight spot, Phase Blast, run away screaming like a little gir.. ermm I mean, "take evasive measures" and @ 7% a second it's back pretty quickly.
Transfusion grenades are better for that tho, aren't they? Just pop a couple on the field and your health is pretty much all back.

One bloodwing and two transfusion grenades and i'm back to full health from 10 on my level 22 hunter.

Cahill

Banned
drizzle said:
Transfusion grenades are better for that tho, aren't they? Just pop a couple on the field and your health is pretty much all back.

One bloodwing and two transfusion grenades and i'm back to full health from 10 on my level 22 hunter.

I keep Transfusion as a backup grenade but don't use it as a primary. Plus Transfusion grenades take time to go off, drain health and replenish you. PB-ing is immediate.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have come to rely completely on my bloodwing for solo healing; what's awesome is that as you max Out for Blood, class mods that increase damage will also increase the amount healed because Out for Blood heals for a percentage. For a few levels now since I got a decent class mod (thanks Firehead!) I get a full heal from a single Bloodwing through 9/10 times (I don't do enough damage to really armored badasses or enemies more than 3 or 4 levels above me for this to always be the case).

DaveKap

Banned
Finally beat the game last night and started up playthrough #2 (at level 37) and I love how I get the same exact feeling of freshness I got when I would go from Normal to Nightmare or Nightmare to Hell in Diablo 2. "Holy crap the game is actually challenging again and things that drop are important again!" It was nice. I'm glad I'm not sick of this game yet. :D

Davidion

Cahill said:
I keep Transfusion as a backup grenade but don't use it as a primary. Plus Transfusion grenades take time to go off, drain health and replenish you. PB-ing is immediate.

Right, and it does percentage healing as opposed to absolute value, which is fucking key. Dependable percentage healing is a pretty big plus in my book.

Haven't gotten to Bloodwing (oh well, spoiled to high hell). But worse comes to worst I can always respec.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Oh and my advice for anyone just starting. Try not to do too many side story missions. You're better off grinding so your weapon proficiency gains experience too.
I've noticed this, but damnit, I can't help it. I've always had an obsession with doing every sidequest I can.

edgefusion

sweetvar26 said:
Why is that?

I spent the whole game wondering what's inside the vault, only to get to the climactic moment to be told "Oops 200 years plz lolz!" I won't live that long! :( Also: Interplanetary Ninja Assassin? Who was the guardian angel chick? Someone from Hyperion? Why did they turn Claptrap into an assassin? What's inside the goddamn vault?

edgefusion said:
I spent the whole game wondering what's inside the vault, only to get to the climactic moment to be told "Oops 200 years plz lolz!" I won't live that long! :( Also: Interplanetary Ninja Assassin? Who was the guardian angel chick? Someone from Hyperion? Why did they turn Claptrap into an assassin? What's inside the goddamn vault?
Isn't a video game all about the journey you take rather then the out come?

Dreavus said:
Yeah... that last, glitched attempt was especially painful because we were doing extremely well and had a semblance of a strategy - and then the guys stop spawning. All I can say is that it was good that someone had a rocket launcher to kill themselves with. :lol
Okay, this is kinda scary. Same exact story last night when I was playing with M.J. Doja, Fallengorn and MoTheHawk. We died a couple of times and when we finally did well, it glitched out. MoTheHawk ended up killing himself with his rocket launcher after it bugged out and we ended up beating it after. :lol

Firestorm

CrookedRain said:
Okay, this is kinda scary. Same exact story last night when I was playing with M.J. Doja, Fallengorn and MoTheHawk. We died a couple of times and when we finally did well, it glitched out. MoTheHawk ended up killing himself with his rocket launcher after it bugged out and we ended up beating it after. :lol
Did the one you beat feel a lot easier than the ones before? In the game Dreavus and I were in, we were getting absolutely mobbed one round, but the time we beat it we were confused because of how quickly we did it...

edgefusion said:

The only part I hate about the game is the story, its a total let down for me. Other than that, the loot, missions are pretty fun, though they are quite repetitive. I am not saying this game is the shit, it will hold me down until MW2 comes out, and I will be happy with that and Assassins Creed 2 after.

Firestorm said:
Did the one you beat feel a lot easier than the ones before? In the game Dreavus and I were in, we were getting absolutely mobbed one round, but the time we beat it we were confused because of how quickly we did it...
It really did feel a lot easier. I remember thinking, "Wow, that's it?" Odd.

BlaneH

Banned
Are you able to bring single player characters into multiplayer? My roomie hasn't been very interesting in co-op so I'm forced to play solo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BlaneH said:
Are you able to bring single player characters into multiplayer? My roomie hasn't been very interesting in co-op so I'm forced to play solo.

Yes.

CrookedRain said:
Yeah, it's a shame because they easily could have added a lot of extra replay value by expanding on it.

Yes :'(

Deathdrome Arena DLC! :p

Pctx

Banned
Alright... hit level 21 last night...

*Spoilers*
Decided to do the Skagzilla mission.

Fairly decent elemental sniper rifle + great shotty + pistol.

All of that was fine and dandy... till I ran out of F'ning ammo!!! :lol

So w/ grenades + all my ammo spent, I then had to melee Skagzila with my shotty butt about 12 times before the damn thing would die! :lol

Spent about 10-15 mins on him but it was worth the loot drops.

Anyways--- freaking awesome time. Last quest I finished was the Alien Artifact one and that was quite fun exploiting the
defenders

With MW2 hitting $40 bucks on Black Friday, I see myself finishing this game and having time for at least another play through before that.

I also need to play with some of you guys here soon. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pctx said:
With MW2 hitting $40 bucks on Black Friday, I see myself finishing this game and having time for at least another play through before that.

I also need to play with some of you guys here soon. :D

Is that so? *chinponder*

I am happy to play anytime I'm on. Hawkian on Steam, hit me up :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I was playing splitscreen coop and now that I'm playing the single player again, all my mission statuses are "trivial" and the game is pretty easy now. Is there any way of upping the difficulty w/o having to go online/splitscreen? :(

chubigans said:
So I was playing splitscreen coop and now that I'm playing the single player again, all my mission statuses are "trivial" and the game is pretty easy now. Is there any way of upping the difficulty w/o having to go online/splitscreen? :(
do missions that are beyond your level.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In terms of just banking quickly, wouldn't New Haven's chests be the most lucrative? I guess you do have to exit and reload for that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hawkian said:
In terms of just banking quickly, wouldn't New Haven's chests be the most lucrative? I guess you do have to exit and reload for that.
Crimson Fastness is better for money because the Red chests there hold class mods more often imo.

New Haven you can get 5 chests in 2 minutes (timed it), Crimson Fastness is 2 or 3 Red (Depends on spawn) in under 2 minutes. (You get shot at through)

Hazaro said:
Crimson Fastness is better for money because the Red chests there hold class mods more often imo.

New Haven you can get 5 chests in 2 minutes (timed it), Crimson Fastness is 2 or 3 Red (Depends on spawn) in under 2 minutes. (You get shot at through)

The crimson guys in there tend to drop a weapon and a grenade mod for me like 75% of the time, so it's insane money.

Pctx said:
Decided to do the Skagzilla mission.

Fairly decent elemental sniper rifle + great shotty + pistol.

All of that was fine and dandy... till I ran out of F'ning ammo!!! :lol

So w/ grenades + all my ammo spent, I then had to melee Skagzila with my shotty butt about 12 times before the damn thing would die! :lol

Spent about 10-15 mins on him but it was worth the loot drops.
You did far better than I did. When I first fought it, I ran out of ammo at the 20% mark. Tried to see if I could run out of the cage by running up the ramp from the opening, only to turn around and see that it had regened to 80% HP. Meleeing the damn thing with Siren's paltry fists took a good hour or so. In hindsight, I should have just died, respawned, and restocked on ammo. :lol

Barrett2

Ok, just played the first 30 minutes, can already tell I love this game.

Is there any reason I would want to play the first few hours alone, or should I just start co-op immediately?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Anything in the ini files to make the opening cutscene skippable? (Not the opening logos)

I left the game idle on the main menu for a little bit and it started playing the video introducing the classes and I couldn't skip the god damn thing.

Mikey Jr.

Fuck sakes. Some moronic bug happened to me.

Level 20 and I have to go to sledge and kill him. I hop online and join some dudes game. I check my quest list and theres like every single quest in the game there. Like, some level 37 quests got unlocked for me. It's fucking annoying.

I feel like starting over and not going online anymore.

Not to mention the fact that joining a random persons game is annoying as shit especially since they are like near the end of the quest sometimes. I wish the online portion was like instanced missions. So when you search for a game, those people are waiting in the lobby to go on that mission and only that mission. Or something, I don't fucking know. Just something different from how it is now.

I wanna play online with other people, but I also want to play an entire quest from beginning to end.

Amazing game though and I love the shit out of it.

lawblob said:
Ok, just played the first 30 minutes, can already tell I love this game.

Is there any reason I would want to play the first few hours alone, or should I just start co-op immediately?

Nothing really unless you just want to play and get a feel for it, otherwise jump in (make sure you dont join a high level game that skips ahead in the story)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
elrechazao said:
The crimson guys in there tend to drop a weapon and a grenade mod for me like 75% of the time, so it's insane money.
I'm already so loaded from New Haven runs it costs me 8 mil to respawn :lol

I tell myself I only need to pickup items that are good, but sometimes I can't help it.

jasonng

I'll join ya guys later tonight if I don't run into any connection problems. I've been wanting to check how my roland stacks compare to the rest (and I want to show off my sweeet asss sniper gun).

Davidion

What level are you guys though? I'm only about 18 or so and everyone else I know so far are in their late 20's-late 40's. :lol

JoeFu

Banned
Dave! we should all play together, like start up at 1 and see how far we can go.

Right now my Siren is 30 and I made a Brick for fun, he's at 13.

Got my first pearlescent drop today, wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for the bag ordering. Turned out to be one of these: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/S&S_Thanatos No effect on it though. Would be nice if it had flame or corrosive. Incredibly overpowered as it is though :D

fire rate is faster the fastest SMG in my bag, and that's without my 70% increased pistol firing rate class mod :lol :lol

Mikey Jr. said:
Fuck sakes. Some moronic bug happened to me.

Level 20 and I have to go to sledge and kill him. I hop online and join some dudes game. I check my quest list and theres like every single quest in the game there. Like, some level 37 quests got unlocked for me. It's fucking annoying.

I feel like starting over and not going online anymore.

Not to mention the fact that joining a random persons game is annoying as shit especially since they are like near the end of the quest sometimes. I wish the online portion was like instanced missions. So when you search for a game, those people are waiting in the lobby to go on that mission and only that mission. Or something, I don't fucking know. Just something different from how it is now.

I wanna play online with other people, but I also want to play an entire quest from beginning to end.

Amazing game though and I love the shit out of it.
Don't jump into games where people are way ahead of you. Easiest way to avoid getting quests early is to always host.

Funny story. On my Soldier, I joined some level 35 guy's game and unlocked "Is TK OK?" too early.
Now when I go to TK's house he's sitting out front like normal, but there is also his dead clone hanging from the ceiling fan inside his house.
:lol

Mikey Jr.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Don't jump into games where people are way ahead of you. Easiest way to avoid getting quests early is to always host.

Funny story. On my Soldier, I joined some level 35 guy's game and unlocked "Is TK OK?" too early.
Now when I go to TK's house he's sitting out front like normal, but there is also his dead clone hanging from the ceiling fan inside his house.

YES!!!!

This is exactly what happened to me as well.

jasonng

JoeFu said:
Dave! we should all play together, like start up at 1 and see how far we can go.

Right now my Siren is 30 and I made a Brick for fun, he's at 13.

I'm down with that. My main is 27 but I do have a mordecai around 17 so I'm pretty flexible with whatever.

BobFromPikeCreek said:

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom