• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
oh wait

[edit] GERHGRKHJNGSDLKFOFDL the t.k. mission was there the entire time i don't know how i didn't see it

ok talking to t.k. now. this better not be hard >=(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Quick question to any PS3 European Borderlands player out there: is language "region-locked" (French only in French edition, Italian only in Italian edition etc) or is there an English option in every build?

Thanks.

Daigoro

yeah 2nd playthrough is where its at. much more exciting than the first imo.

i took a day off yeterday, been playing too much in the last week. ill be lv 50 any time now. its way easy to level up in the second playthrough.

i guess when i max out my soldier ill use him for mutliplayer goofing around mostly. maybe make a new character or two and finish up the last few achievements. i need to figure out which claptraps i havent found yet (all of the ones im finding in my 2nd play are the same ones i found in the 1st and im not getting any backpack upgrades anymore).

this game is a really easy 1000.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Soooo I took on three more missions — two from T.K. about getting his prosthetic leg back and collecting a bunch of plants, and one about getting some voice recorders — and dove into what was seemingly the heart of skag country. Fucking bastards were EVERYWHERE and very hard to kill. I probably Second Winded about four times.

When I finally emerged from that hellhole, I leveled up twice, and now that I've collected my rewards, I'm halfway to level 11 and I'm rockin' over $9,000 when I used to barely have over $1,000. My weapons are awesome and I have a +40% modifier to my already-sweet shield.

Now. It's time to KICK BONEHEAD'S ASS

[edit] and i died.

Aaron

You should have been a tank. As Brick, I have punched every boss to death so far. Surprised how fast they go down.

outsida

Danthrax said:
Soooo I took on three more missions — two from T.K. about getting his prosthetic leg back and collecting a bunch of plants, and one about getting some voice recorders — and dove into what was seemingly the heart of skag country. Fucking bastards were EVERYWHERE and very hard to kill. I probably Second Winded about four times.

When I finally emerged from that hellhole, I leveled up twice, and now that I've collected my rewards, I'm halfway to level 11 and I'm rockin' over $9,000 when I used to barely have over $1,000. My weapons are awesome and I have a +40% modifier to my already-sweet shield.

[edit] and i died.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Soooo I kinda noticed I had some kickass sniper rifle that sets people on fire, so I used that from a distance and laid waste to Bonehead and all his posse. Cleaned 'em up good.

Now I'm level 11 and off to bed. Thanks for sharing this journey with me, GAF. I can't say it's been a pleasure, but it's certainly been a... something.

Aaron said:
You should have been a tank. As Brick, I have punched every boss to death so far. Surprised how fast they go down.

I am Brick. But I never remember to use his crazy-go-nuts ability. I just accidentally bump it sometimes.

Insaniac

i'd really appreciate if someone helped me transfer a few things to my gunslinger.. xbox gt TheLintendo

I'll give you some free items too if your a lowbie

13z483s.jpg
+ Plaguebearer = win

Xevren

Insaniac said:
i'd really appreciate if someone helped me transfer a few things to my gunslinger.. xbox gt TheLintendo

I'll give you some free items too if your a lowbie

Just create a dummy account and sign it on for your 2nd controller, play splitscreen and transfer that way.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm going to respec... Phoenix is nice and all, but it kinda feels to me like the Elemental skill tree's weakness is single, tough enemies. And they usually have the most loot - so phase strike spam it is.

I'm going to miss venom and intuition though.

glaurung

The game is really good, all I am missing from platinum is the level 50 trophy.

Curiously enough I have not seen a single pearlescent drop yet. Plenty of amber ones though.

DY_nasty said:
I'm going to respec... Phoenix is nice and all, but it kinda feels to me like the Elemental skill tree's weakness is single, tough enemies. And they usually have the most loot - so phase strike spam it is.

I'm going to miss venom and intuition though.

Mind Games is all you need for those guys. A short SMG burst usually dazes them and makes them easy pickings.

dejan

Ok, Borderlands is the reason I stopped playing Torchlight (which is awesome, buy Torchlight like now!) and the Left 4 Dead 2 Demo. But let me mention one thing first: the pc port reeks of lazyness and had me infuriated for a while. Horrible UI, wtf at the FOV, lack of graphics options and overall the game doesn't run as good as other UE3 games on my system. And then there's Gamespy ... I've been playing on pc since the late 80s and all this time I managed to avoid Gamespy like the plague just to witness this pos finally creep into my system. If I knew that Gamespy is requiered for online play I would have never bought Borderlands. I'm glad I didn't and for most of the other issues I could find fixes through the help of the community by tweaking some ini files.

Now about the really good parts: the shooting feels great and satisfying, the art style is fantastic and the gameplay is addictive as hell. "Ok, just one more mission then I really need to go to bed ... oh what's that place over there. Whatever it is I bet there's loot." And I'm talking singleplayer here. There's a lot of underlying depth, too. You have 4 classes each with their own set of skills and several class modifiers. I want to finish my first playthrough (lvl 30 right now), but I already can't wait to delve into the coop for some new game+ madness. Critical biatch!

I've got a great corrosive shotgun, shock machine gun and flame smg. I love a nice elemental sniper to complete the collection. Though my sniper does 444 dmg anyways I'd like some extra on the side :p

Having literally infinite ammo is cool also (ammo regen). Along with my health regen. Leveling up pretty fast at the moment too. Currently Lvl 33.

outsida

Lord Phol said:
Started over with a new Siren and having a much better time, guess I'm just not much of a Roland guy :x.
I wasn't really liking roland either until I the later levels and then started spec'ing him correctly for how I was playing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The New Haven chests are really quite nice. It's like a mini-christmas every time you come to town. I got a level 22 version of the awesome Pestilent Defiler posted above, only 200ish damage but with a 3.7 zoom, 95 acc and 6 shots. Less damage than my 230 revolver but that 4x corrosive is great. I also got a 2-shot 300+ dmg antique-lookin' revolver with awesome accuracy too. And my 4th weapon slot :)

Blizzard

Banned
I guess since I can only play public games I don't usually get to the good loot first, but I feel like I haven't found decent guns in forever. I'm like level 20, and I'm still using some 72-damage fire pistol, some (newer) flaming sniper rifle that I can hardly ever critical with (lag probably plays a part) and some desert stinger SMG since I can just shoot people in the head from close range.

Sometimes I'll try switching a shotgun in or out. I bought a cheap rocket launcher (can't hit moving things with it) and got my fourth weapon slot finally, but still. Even the green/blue stuff I occasionally find seems to have awful damage, fire rate, accuracy, or other properties compared to the few weapons I have, which aren't even that great.

Did the Mad Mel mission last night with other people. I got destroyed the first time since I was in a card and didn't get moving before the homing rocket hit me or whatever, but in general car combat is really easy if someone else DOESN'T get in your turret, so you can just lock the machine gun on and drive in circles.

Amneisac

I don't suppose anyone has any idea how the DLC will work yet? I was thinking about it last night, my main character is 50 (I have a few 20's also) and I'm almost done with playthrough 2.

Do they make the DLC level 50 enemies and possibly have some people who didn't hit level 50 pass on the DLC? Will they raise the level cap? Will it have multiple playthroughs? I don't think I've ever been so excited for DLC that I know next to nothing about.

gcubed

just started it last night and i love it... how long should i wait until i try to jump online (have no RL or PS3 friends playing it? I dont want to be a drag on others with some shoddy skills.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rekwest said:
How can i kill Mad Mel? I'm playing Mordecai level 23

You can stay outside of the dome and snipe at his vehicle, it's pretty effective and you stay safe. It's not fun with the buggy, I got out halfway through and used it as cover and just shot him with my revolver and snipe.

just started it last night and i love it... how long should i wait until i try to jump online (have no RL or PS3 friends playing it? I dont want to be a drag on others with some shoddy skills.

When browsing the list of games, it'll show what level the host player is so you will be able to find someone at your level. I'd just recommend that you get the gist of the combat and all the game systems so you don't have to learn while playing co-op with a stranger.

Blizzard

Banned
Rekwest said:
How can i kill Mad Mel? I'm playing Mordecai level 23
Get the machine gun car, hit space (or jump button on 360/PS3) to lock on when you see a vehicle or enemy, and then hold the right mouse button (or alt fire or whatever) to fire your turret on the top of our car. It'll just keep firing directly at your target until it's dead, so you can hold that down and concentrate on avoiding running into rockets and walls.

At least, that's my theory. We had four people so we might have had a couple of Ludicrous Turrets set up or something.

And yeah, you can do other lame things like sitting in a buggy on the ridge outside the dome, or sitting on the ridge outside the dome with a rifle or whatever.

Loudninja

gcubed said:

I am playing it but I am level 21.

Dunlop

So I
rescued Tannis
and was given an explosive artifact, I equiped it and I still see my corrosive one and am still doing corrosive damage. Does it stack with what's there?

I just got it but have not seen any explosive damage so far

gcubed

Loudninja said:
I am playing it but I am level 21.

well damnit, you're never on when i'm on. This World Series is hampering my playing. I figure I'll play it a bit more, get a better handle on everything, i'm playing as Mordecai, my sniping is getting much better

ObiDin

Danthrax said:
I opened up the bulletin board for the first time, that's how I got this mission. The BB had two missions — one was "Talk to T.K., he'll have shit for you to do - HARD" and the other was "Kill Bonehead - TOUGH" so I went with the not-as-hard one, Kill Bonehead. Except he's fucking impossible. And when I go back to the BB, it doesn't let me choose a different mission.

Same thing happened to me. The "Talk to T.K." mission was labled as Hard in the quest menu when all you have to do is run up the hill and talk to him. Don't know if it's a bug, but it made me try to kill Bonehead(and die several times) instead when I was way under-leveled.

Loudninja

gcubed said:
well damnit, you're never on when i'm on. This World Series is hampering my playing. I figure I'll play it a bit more, get a better handle on everything, i'm playing as Mordecai, my sniping is getting much better

Heh I play at random times.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I just want to post my undying love for this game :D

I was playing last night with my cousin and we had to fight
Mothrakk(?) the giant flying thing
. We were barely doing any damage at all and were getting destroyed so we tried using a vehicle with rockets. It was taking way too long to do damage because we were missing like crazy. We then opted to use two vehicles each with machine guns. It was so much fun driving around and then switching to the gunner seat to blast away while he had aggro on my partner and then switching back to drive when he started coming for me. Switching between the seats on the vehicles is so smooth.

Danthrax said:

[edit] and i died.

:lol :lol :lol

Glad you finally figured out your problem. Sorry about last night, I logged off pretty soon after offering some help. But if you need any help again just send me a PM here or send a message to me on Live, GT: Moochu2

Anyone have tips for finding games online? I've been searching custom matches with my character and NO ONE was playing on play through 2, and I only saw like 15 or so games I could join. I tried hosting my own, but after 2 hours not a single person had joined. Not even a low level looking to sponge experience :(

Rekwest

Blizzard said:
Get the machine gun car, hit space (or jump button on 360/PS3) to lock on when you see a vehicle or enemy, and then hold the right mouse button (or alt fire or whatever) to fire your turret on the top of our car. It'll just keep firing directly at your target until it's dead, so you can hold that down and concentrate on avoiding running into rockets and walls.

At least, that's my theory. We had four people so we might have had a couple of Ludicrous Turrets set up or something.

And yeah, you can do other lame things like sitting in a buggy on the ridge outside the dome, or sitting on the ridge outside the dome with a rifle or whatever.
Thanks i will try that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:

Real men hop out of the car inside the dome, bust out the Elephant Gun, and noscope his jew-hating ass.

ObiDin said:
Same thing happened to me. The "Talk to T.K." mission was labled as Hard in the quest menu when all you have to do is run up the hill and talk to him. Don't know if it's a bug, but it made me try to kill Bonehead(and die several times) instead when I was way under-leveled.

I too TRIED to kill Bonehead before I could, I think this was intentional. It was being like, "hey here's a quest that demonstrates how this game will kick your ass." But I got both quests, and just thought, okay, I'll go try talking to TK first. I think this is how they meant for you to experience it. It wasn't too long after that that a single critical dropped bonehead to the ground (he respawns every game, by the way, if you feel like paying a visit or getting a copy of his god-awful gun).

Cahill

Banned
Hawkian said:
Real men hop out of the car inside the dome, bust out the Elephant Gun, and noscope his jew-hating ass.

I did this last night on playthrough 2. No way was I staying in the vehicle. Thing blows up waaaay too quickly. BTW: I'm a Siren so I did it using only SMGs. \m/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the official word is that you get one more on your second playthrough (I think the one in New Haven) for a total of 45.

Top Bottom