• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian said:
5dwfgk.png

What's the fastest fire rate anyone's seen on a shotty? This thing basically feels like a slow SMG with 9 shots per fire. I thought such a huge zoom (best I have) on a shotgun would be ludicrous, but it is no joke. Even with under 50 accuracy I can gun people down before they're in striking range of me.
I'm still using this one (except against the Crimson Lance) with my level 50 Brick:

rhverl.png

Shotgun proficiency is level 14, and the fire rate essentially doubles after a kill thanks to his Master Blaster perk.

Loudninja

Hawkian said:
I don't think it should be patched :-[

If I join a really high-leveled person's game and they're just starting a quest (even if they've had it in their log a long time), I want to be able to do it with them and get the XP for it. It sucks to have a bunch of quests from later in the game then you are, but you're voluntarily joining the game instance of someone you know is much farther along than you.

Maybe there would be a better way to do it, like only get the quests of the area you are in (which is wherever the host is when you join)... I'd be down for that, and just adding quests from different areas as you visit them. But ultimately it can't protect you from being exposed to things way out of order except by stopping you from joining higher-leveled players' games, and I wouldn't want that. :p

Its still really annoying, not got got like quests in areas I wont be act for awhile, and spoilers as well.

kilongs

So how are you guys using mules? I'm guessing you just start a new character and open up borderlands in 2 windowed sessions then join yourself in a lan game.

Also, are you selective on hoarding good stuff? cuz I would imagine that a new character mule with only 12 slots for inventory would still be pretty limiting.

Just finished it last night with lvl 36 Soldier. Story is pretty light and barely worth bothering with but the gameplay just hooks you. There was a time part way through where I was feeling a bit bored with it but that didn't last too long. Just starting going through my 2nd playthrough and I think I'm enjoying it even more (quite rare to see). Having tougher enemies and better loot has got me addicted all over again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
StateofMind said:
What exactly do the flashing damage multipliers mean?

It's how many pellets or bullets per shot. Shotguns always have them.

MicVlaD said:

I have one of those too but no added projectiles. It's great, I LOVE the 20 round clip. With that fire rate thing with Brick I'm sure it owns. I'll have to give it to him when I get around to making one.

Regarding the story: I hope they don't
set the sequel 200 years or so in the future 'cause you couldn't enter The Vault before. I actually liked some of the characters (mainly the playable cast, Crazy Earl and Patricia Tannis), so it'd be a shame if they were to be excluded should Gearbox advance the timeline by two centuries. I can imagine that a time skip will be inevitable though so the developers can show you how your character supposedly changed the environment of Pandora for the better, since some mission descriptions implied as much after you completed them. Similar to what Fable II did perhaps, if the team opts for same-ish locations in the next game.

Firestorm said:
Patricia Tannis better be up for those Character of the Year awards.
Best NPC in the game by far due to her twisted humor. Her journal entry about her birthday's my favorite.

And then she doesn't say anything new after you try and talk to her after the final mission. She'll move her arms and mouth, but nothing comes out. Gearbox I am disappoint.

edgefusion

If anyone wants to play PS3 co-op with a 47 Siren (New Haven onwards) I'm going to be online in about an hour for the rest of the night. PSN: edgefusion

EDIT: Regarding Patricia Tannis:
Is it ever revealed how she's been getting her supplies?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think she
whored for the Dahl corporation while they were on the planet, and is basically living off of what's left

I think my best shotty is 300 or so x7 and like 75 accuracy. It has the red text "Snipers are for chumps" or something like that. I can't remember if it has a scope though. I think it might.

mcrae

poweld said:
...in case you're wondering why.

My setup is identical except I'm using 4GB of memory (shouldn't affect things *too* much as long as you're not running much in the background) and a quad-core duo.

I get maybe a solid 45fps at 1920 with 16x anisotropic

yeah, i figured that was the bottleneck. all settings are as low as they can go, tried playing at 640x480...no dice. time to upgrade! lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just had a Pentium 4 gasp its last breath on out "guest" computer. Symbolic!

Just going to a dual-core anything will be a huge difference.

Four wheels is better than... than zero wheels..... COME ON CATCH A RIDE!

Here's that shotty. As you can see, the shutter also faintly caught the x7. Only downsides are the slow fire rate and clip size, but with that damage who cares?

2rptx87.jpg

Bonus shots. These are my current favourite SMG, which just barfs out a constant stream of bullets, and rocket launcher. The rocket launcher is the one I mentioned earlier that empties the entire clip into one rocket with 4 times the damage shown there.

1695d9h.jpg

2zoi35d.jpg

Dunlop

So after discovering that my unbeatable scrapper build er...sucks in playthough 2, I respecced for blaster. While painful atfirst, I found a shotgun that shoots rockets and can now pwn with the best of them.

Concerning the explosive bonus talents, is that for all rockets or just rockets(or any weapon) with the elemental explosion on it?

On a down note, during a co-op game we did a claptrap mission that I saw the quest conpleted but never got the item to increase my inventory space, tried to go back and it was no-go : (

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How many inventory slots do you have?

That rocket launcher and SMG (holy fuck that fire rate with Quicksilver...) are amazing btw.

Ding

I got this game the day before yesterday. The first night, I played (Roland) up to the point where you kill ol' Nine Toes. I liked it. Died maybe twice.

My friend got it yesterday, so I replayed those same missions with him. (Me still as Roland, him a Siren.) It was even better the second time! Much, much, better loot. A little easier, though. I only died once. We're still waiting for a third friend's copy to arrive, so I'm happy to hear that it gets harder again with three people in your party.

I'm gonna try to spec Roland almost exclusively as a turret farmer. I like defensive and support roles, so this suits me. It looks like I'll be supporting a Brick and a Lilith. I think that combo will work pretty well.

I was kinda bummed when I decided that the individual "tree" upgrades don't "stack" on themselves as you add points to them. By that, I mean that when you buff the turret damage up 7%, and then 14%, you're left with a total of 14% better damage, not 21%+. But since the turret levels up with Roland, even that comparatively small damage buff is a gift that keeps giving. So I'm no longer bummed. :D (I hope I'm understanding that correctly.)

I am still a little baffled about how some of the stats work. For example, how much damage is done when an enemy is set on fire? Is that listed somewhere? I assume that's where the "3x" and "4x" elemental stats on the guns come in? But it's 3x... what, exactly? (3 times what?)

Also, my same old weapons obviously start doing more damage as I level up. So I guess a character's level is also some sort of damage multiplier? How does that work, exactly?

For my friend's benefit, what's best way to use the phasewalk, at least with low level Liliths? Do you phase at a long range, run up to the enemy, and then unphase? Or do you end your phase by meleeing? Or do you run up unphased, and then use both your entry and exit blasts on the enemy? Are the blasts not that important, and you're just trying to get close with a shotgun? Or, do you maybe use the phase as an escape technique?

It's probably some combination of all of that, but I was wondering if there was a particularly good technique.

MicVlaD said:
Regarding the story: I hope they don't
set the sequel 200 years or so in the future 'cause you couldn't enter The Vault before. I actually liked some of the characters (mainly the playable cast, Crazy Earl and Patricia Tannis), so it'd be a shame if they were to be excluded should Gearbox advance the timeline by two centuries. I can imagine that a time skip will be inevitable though so the developers can show you how your character supposedly changed the environment of Pandora for the better, since some mission descriptions implied as much after you completed them. Similar to what Fable II did perhaps, if the team opts for same-ish locations in the next game.

Best NPC in the game by far due to her twisted humor. Her journal entry about her birthday's my favorite.

And then she doesn't say anything new after you try and talk to her after the final mission. She'll move her arms and mouth, but nothing comes out. Gearbox I am disappoint.
Yeah but a pandorian year would be different to an earth year due to the fact that a day on pandora is 90 minutes long. and they don't make it clear if they are measuring it based on earth or a calulated padorianyear so if theory they could still be alive.

Swag

BobFromPikeCreek said:
The rocket launcher is the one I mentioned earlier that empties the entire clip into one rocket with 4 times the damage shown there.

God damn man, that seems ridiculous! I made the mistake of not finishing my first playthrough of this game before Dragon Age came out. Now I have to juggle playing both games at the same time.

Trials of a gamer /sigh

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ding said:
what's best way to use the phasewalk, at least with low level Liliths?

Doing quests at lightning speed while your group is still catching catching up to you in a car.

I'm on the mission where you have to find Tannis.. but I think my mission is glitched or something. It says I need to talk to a Claptrap first but it never gave me the waypoint to the Claptrap, only one to Tannis. So I found here and talked to her.. completing part 2 of the mission but now I can't find the Claptrap it's talking about. This is my 2nd playthrough and I didn't have this issue the first time. Is there a way to cancel a mission and reset it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You had talk to that claptrap to get into the Rust Commons at all, unless you went another way. He's on the entrace to the Rust Commons closest to New Haven...

DaveKap

Banned
practice02 said:
Yeah but a pandorian year would be different to an earth year due to the fact that a day on pandora is 90 minutes long. and they don't make it clear if they are measuring it based on earth or a calulated padorianyear so if theory they could still be alive.

Except...
the guardian angel and I'm pretty sure at least one other character mentions the vault won't open again in your or anyone else's lifetime which means even if they were skewing what a "year" is and what a "lifetime" is there's really no way to bend the rules on this one.

Ding said:
I got this game the day before yesterday. The first night, I played (Roland) up to the point where you kill ol' Nine Toes. I liked it. Died maybe twice.

My friend got it yesterday, so I replayed those same missions with him. (Me still as Roland, him a Siren.) It was even better the second time! Much, much, better loot. A little easier, though. I only died once. We're still waiting for a third friend's copy to arrive, so I'm happy to hear that it gets harder again with three people in your party.

I'm gonna try to spec Roland almost exclusively as a turret farmer. I like defensive and support roles, so this suits me. It looks like I'll be supporting a Brick and a Lilith. I think that combo will work pretty well.

I was kinda bummed when I decided that the individual "tree" upgrades don't "stack" on themselves as you add points to them. By that, I mean that when you buff the turret damage up 7%, and then 14%, you're left with a total of 14% better damage, not 21%+. But since the turret levels up with Roland, even that comparatively small damage buff is a gift that keeps giving. So I'm no longer bummed. :D (I hope I'm understanding that correctly.)

I am still a little baffled about how some of the stats work. For example, how much damage is done when an enemy is set on fire? Is that listed somewhere? I assume that's where the "3x" and "4x" elemental stats on the guns come in? But it's 3x... what, exactly? (3 times what?)

Also, my same old weapons obviously start doing more damage as I level up. So I guess a character's level is also some sort of damage multiplier? How does that work, exactly?

For my friend's benefit, what's best way to use the phasewalk, at least with low level Liliths? Do you phase at a long range, run up to the enemy, and then unphase? Or do you end your phase by meleeing? Or do you run up unphased, and then use both your entry and exit blasts on the enemy? Are the blasts not that important, and you're just trying to get close with a shotgun? Or, do you maybe use the phase as an escape technique?

It's probably some combination of all of that, but I was wondering if there was a particularly good technique.
Depending on how you spec her you'll want to vary what you do while phase walking and how much time you spend in it. My Lilith is speced that I'm mainly a close range hit and run fighter using phase blast to cause all kinds of elemental damage status effects and then phasing out when things get too rough.

Ding said:

Yeah, it's pretty much of combination of all that, but his equipment, specs, and play-style will eventually make it more specialized.

But for for low level stuff, I used it mainly as an escape button to either regenerate a fast recovery shield or to put me in a better tactical position, either behind the enemy to shoot them in the head or at a good distance so I could snipe them. I found the phase blast damage is pretty negligible until you get an artifact and class mod to supplement it (fire or corrosive).

JudgeN

The second playthrough is so much better then the first, the difficulty really jumps when your in coop. Now if only there was end game content.

This game is still too easy. I wish the quests wouldn't reward so much experience. I'm used to the Diablo 2 kind of grinding (after 70+ lvl). And it would be a good idea to lose some experience when you die. Basically I'm saying that this game needs more Diablo in it!

Still it's a great game. I hope the DLC will be more challenging.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Four wheels is better than... than zero wheels..... COME ON CATCH A RIDE!

Here's that shotty. As you can see, the shutter also faintly caught the x7. Only downsides are the slow fire rate and clip size, but with that damage who cares?

2rptx87.jpg

Bonus shots. These are my current favourite SMG, which just barfs out a constant stream of bullets, and rocket launcher. The rocket launcher is the one I mentioned earlier that empties the entire clip into one rocket with 4 times the damage shown there.

I have a lower lvl version of that shotty, with +75% and +50% accuracy on it. It actually is a sniper rifle :D

DaveKap said:
Except...
the guardian angel and I'm pretty sure at least one other character mentions the vault won't open again in your or anyone else's lifetime which means even if they were skewing what a "year" is and what a "lifetime" is there's really no way to bend the rules on this one.
I'll get back to you on that one.

Bumblebeetuna said:
I'm on the mission where you have to find Tannis.. but I think my mission is glitched or something. It says I need to talk to a Claptrap first but it never gave me the waypoint to the Claptrap, only one to Tannis. So I found here and talked to her.. completing part 2 of the mission but now I can't find the Claptrap it's talking about. This is my 2nd playthrough and I didn't have this issue the first time. Is there a way to cancel a mission and reset it?
you went in a different way. so from the entrance to the city of new haven go to your right the turn left and you'll be staring down to the right entrance.

Ding

edgefusion said:
Ding! 50. :D
Why is everyone saying my name? It's freaking me out! :lol

Hellsing321 said:
Depending on how you spec her you'll want to vary what you do while phase walking and how much time you spend in it. My Lilith is speced that I'm mainly a close range hit and run fighter using phase blast to cause all kinds of elemental damage status effects and then phasing out when things get too rough.
That seems to imply that you can phase into a close quarters fight, and then still phase back out if things go badly. I didn't think the cooldown period would allow that. (Although Lilith's cooldown is much shorter than Roland's.)

Are you hanging in the fight for the full 30(?) seconds, or is your character leveled enough to reduce the cooltime period significantly? I guess the latter, since you mentioned that your phaseblast was all sorts of awesome....

I think my friend would get killed if he tried that. (Level 10, and we're about to start over. Again.)

UFRA

I just got a class mod for my soldier.

One of the benefits of it is +3 Ammo Regeneration, the other is "+1 Stockpile skill".

Anyone know what that means? I don't have any extra slots in my inventory because of it, so I can't seem to find what it does for me.

Hawkian said:
Can't believe how many people have hit 50 already. I mean, I have a full time job and all but damn.

I hit level 50 last night. Its really not all that hard if you do all the quests in the first and second playthrough. Its actually pretty easy. After I got to New Haven, I stopped doing anything that didn't let me advance the storyline. I think I'll save those for when they raise the cap. I learned this from Fallout 3.

UFRA said:
I just got a class mod for my soldier.

One of the benefits of it is +3 Ammo Regeneration, the other is "+1 Stockpile skill".

Anyone know what that means? I don't have any extra slots in my inventory because of it, so I can't seem to find what it does for me.

if you have any points in the Stockpile skill in the Support tree (being near your turret gives ammo regen) then while wearing your mod it will be one better. So if you had 5 points in Stockpile, then you would get the effect of having 6 points in stockpile.

jabipun

Kadey said:
Differences between 360/PS3?

Not much.

Gearbox did a great job on the console versions --- the PC version on the other hand, not so much.

Go for the version with better online/more friends.

Top Bottom