• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

rass

DY_nasty said:
Wish I could at least change guns before I go down... Nothing worse than having a sniper rifle out when the end is near.
you can on the PC... whenever I'm down, I scroll to my favourite revolver and blast toward things.

arggg i've been putting this game off due to impending holiday trip. then my mate brings it over last night (ps3) and we go a solid 5 hours of co-op. damndamndamn i love it. it's made the wait that much harder. may have to do a sneaky order when the GF, arbitrator of holiday funds, is not looking ;)

quirks, foibles and glitches aside (i seem to be a pro at getting vehicles stuck on the environment, thank god for easy respawning of them) it's a great solid game. i've been hankering for a loot game that has more visceral gameplay and this is just perfect.

chose Siren, hit level 14 by the end of the session. Pretty much everything in my arsenal makes things go FOOM :D

DaveKap

Banned
Hawkian said:
No, unfortunately :-[ There's no limit on the number of lines, but the number of individual stats that can show. Please do post your screenshot, but if I were a gambling man I'd put down some cash on you having an item with a line of red text that is long enough to wrap around to a second line, but that still only counts as one stat.

No screenshot because, yeah, the largest I have is 5 stats/5 lines large, so I was mistaken. Has it been proven that anything can have more than 5 stats?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep, though I've never seen it in person, people claim on the GBX forums to have, say, a class mod that shows 5 stats, none of which is ammo regen. They'll equip it and start regening ammo, then take it off and it stops.

neoism

Sorry if this has been answered or asked, but is the playtime clock wrong or broke for anyone. I says I've played for 1:00:50:33
:/. I know it really doesn't matter, but I reeally like knowing the amount of time I put in a game!
This game is fucking awesome though. Looove Co-op

Unicorn

Hawkian said:
Yep, though I've never seen it in person, people claim on the GBX forums to have, say, a class mod that shows 5 stats, none of which is ammo regen. They'll equip it and start regening ammo, then take it off and it stops.
fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hidden stuff is lame, especially if we want to know if we want to use it or not.

neoism said:
Sorry if this has been answered or asked, but is the playtime clock wrong or broke for anyone. I says I've played for 1:00:50:33
:/. I know it really doesn't matter, but I reeally like knowing the amount of time I put in a game!

That's 1 day, 0 hours, 50 minutes and 33 seconds.

neoism said:
That means 1 day. You've played for 24 hours, 50 minutes, and 33 seconds.

Cipher

TurtleSnatcher said:
:lol

The hawk with the right talents becomes SOOOO good

Yeah, got it to the point where I would throw him out there and he would attack 8 or so people, daze them all and then come back and fully heal me. Then 3 seconds later I could send him out there again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Love those damn New Haven chests.

2whoz9e.png

Not the highest damage for an orange... but then I realized that "two bullets" thing gives it a 5-burst shot. With 5 bullets, odds are overwhelming that enemies will be set on fire in one shot even with just x2. Clip has enough for 4 of those bursts, then one scoped critical. I love it.

And then I got two weapons with 4.0x zoom within seconds of each other:
5dwfgk.png

What's the fastest fire rate anyone's seen on a shotty? This thing basically feels like a slow SMG with 9 shots per fire. I thought such a huge zoom (best I have) on a shotgun would be ludicrous, but it is no joke. Even with under 50 accuracy I can gun people down before they're in striking range of me.

v4yvdx.jpg

Quest reward- the red text means, as it turns out, 4.0x zoom. Quite a lot for an SMG. It otherwise kind of sucks, but I dig the name so I'm keeping it :lol Now that I have worked out easy muleing, I have no qualms about keeping every gun I enjoy.

Hawkian said:
Love those damn New Haven chests.

2whoz9e.png

Not the highest damage for an orange... but then I realized that "two bullets" thing gives it a 5-burst shot. With 5 bullets, odds are overwhelming that enemies will be set on fire in one shot even with just x2. Clip has enough for 4 of those bursts, then one scoped critical. I love it.

DO WANT

Couple hours into the game, playing sp with the hunter, whats the blue and red weapons in the inventory, Im guessing there the weapons that you obtain from doing certain missions, are they usually better? Is mp a must play?

dreamer3kx said:
oops sorry, i think the color is green right, anyway are they mission based weapons?

The colors refer to the quality/rarity of the weapon, on a similar scale as that of Diablo, World of Warcraft, etc. From lowest to highest, White-Green-Blue-Purple-Light Orange-Orange-Red Orange. Some of the rarer weapons you do get by completing missions, but most of the time you'll find the best weapons randomly in the game, or randomly generated in the vending machines.

mcrae

the game seems really fun, i played it to level 3, but alas my pc is too crappy to do anything past 10 fps... and i can tell that i will need more than 10 fps to actually kill anything in a couple levels, lol.

1920x1200
p4 3.0 ghz
nvidia 8800gt
2gb DDR RAM

>.< it sux

Saya

Can anyone tell me how far I am in the game? I just finished all the quests in Old Haven (level 33 now). I'm wondering how many quests are left, not many I think.

Also, does the class you play as also influence the loot drops? I'm a hunter and all the orange weapons I have found so far are sniper rifles.

mcrae said:
the game seems really fun, i played it to level 3, but alas my pc is too crappy to do anything past 10 fps... and i can tell that i will need more than 10 fps to actually kill anything in a couple levels, lol.

1920x1200
p4 3.0 ghz
nvidia 8800gt
2gb DDR RAM

>.< it sux
Have you tried turning down your resolution?

poweld

mcrae said:

1920x1200
p4 3.0 ghz
nvidia 8800gt
2gb DDR RAM

>.< it sux
...in case you're wondering why.

My setup is identical except I'm using 4GB of memory (shouldn't affect things *too* much as long as you're not running much in the background) and a quad-core duo.

I get maybe a solid 45fps at 1920 with 16x anisotropic

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
finally put time into this tonight.. man it is really nice. I am playing as a solider and kind of regret it since I am digging the sniper rifle.. but shotties are fun too..

really cool game

Shoogoo

Hawkian said:
Can anybody top a 2.4 fire rate though? It's like an autoshotty on crack.

Imagine the rate of fire when your shotgun proficiency is at 39 after spending 95% of the game with a shotgun. :D

I have a particular shotgun whom I can't fire just a bullet with. It goes so fast that one tip on the trigger makes 2 shots right away.

I'm trying to extend the life of this game by farming some places now that I'm lvl50. But yeah, I'm hoping that the DLC will feature some high end content because I'm seeing the end of it :/

What do you guys do to milk the last drop of this game?

Starting a new character is not an option as I've finished the game with 3 different characters already.

MMaRsu

Firestorm said:
Yeah Hawkian I did it after seeing your first post =p
You do not want to go to that place a LV26. Goddamn. Party of 4 at LV29ish and we were struggling. Super fun though. Game needs more places with that type of combat. =( I feel like I should have just ran through the story for the first and second playthrough and then done the sidequests after hitting LV50 =/

But I want a challenge! The game is way too easy when soloing..

And because I didn't see any answers to my other questions, what are some good instances to farm good loot at my level ( 26 or 27 now )? And where can I find them? Especially Old Haven.. I just want to check it out ^_^ ( even if I might get killed in the process ).

dejan

Blackace said:
finally put time into this tonight.. man it is really nice. I am playing as a solider and kind of regret it since I am digging the sniper rifle.. but shotties are fun too..

really cool game
Hehe, I'm playing Roland too and my most used weapons are SMGs and sniper rifles.

Shoogoo said:
What do you guys do to milk the last drop of this game?

Starting a new character is not an option as I've finished the game with 3 different characters already.

Then..start it with the 4th?

I've almost gotten my first character, Brick, all the way through Playthrough 2 and up to 50, but yea, I can't see myself playing as this character much longer than that. Maybe in co-op to join other games, but not for any of my campaigns. Supposing I go all out and push 4 characters up to 50, that'd be at least 200 hours, which is a well milked game for me.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Any word on what's in the Zombie DLC?

I need me some level caps raised and new skills to unlock and new loot to find! This MMO has no end game content!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm making sure my character is ready for any future loot by maxing out all proficiencies.
That's got to be a nightmare!

My proficiencies for the guns I use often are hovering around 20, and from what I hear they go up to 99?! Wouldn't maxing this things take FOREVER?!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:
It means a guaranteed corrosive proc basically. I think it's also hinting at how corrosive enemies and transfer the acid to nearby enemies unfortunate enough to get in their way.

EDIT: Btw http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=76822
Anybody know what special ability Reaver's sniper rifle drop has? I think the red text is something like "The Razor's Edge" but it's not listed in this link Hawkian posted the other day.

It's actually the first boss drop I've really used because I've decided my experiment with elemental sniper rifles is over. Didn't really like them for some reason, think I just prefer having as much damage as possible in each shot and this thing has a fire rate of 1.4 or 1.2. Still keeping some elemental snipers in my inventory for special occasions, though.

::edit::
Managed to find a site that shows the rifle that isn't blocked on this computer.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Reaver's_Edge

It's "The Cutting Edge," and apparently it has a chance of bypassing an enemy's shields.

RubxQub said:
That's got to be a nightmare!

My proficiencies for the guns I use often are hovering around 20, and from what I hear they go up to 99?! Wouldn't maxing this things take FOREVER?!

Once you finish the 2nd playthrough, all enemies go up to level 50-51. I've been farming the Rakk Hive. SMG is currently at 45 and I get 1 level per kill. Pistol is at 25 and I get 2 levels per kill. I just whittle it down with my Double Anarchy until there's a small sliver and then I switch to the weapon I want to kill with.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, so... what's this about the Clap Trap backpack slot run for mules? Is there really an easy way to get all claptraps rescued so we can make mules?

I'm thinking it's easier to make a mule character and hack it to have 99999 inventory slots or smth.

Philthy

I love the replayability of this game. I really do. I've got three characters down that I've played to mid 20s. One for single player, two for multiplayer that I can swap back and forth with depending on who I am playing with. Doing the same quests doesn't get old! I just love the weapon and shooting mechanics to this game. In Doom you got the shotgun where you could run up to someone and make their head explode, it was SO satisfying. This game seems to do it with almost ALL the weapons.

I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it.

MMaRsu said:
But I want a challenge! The game is way too easy when soloing..

And because I didn't see any answers to my other questions, what are some good instances to farm good loot at my level ( 26 or 27 now )? And where can I find them? Especially Old Haven.. I just want to check it out ^_^ ( even if I might get killed in the process ).
Stop solo-ing. Borderlands being a co-op game 'n all and the difficulty being ramped up whenever the player count increases. Problem somewhat solved.

Philthy

MicVlaD said:
Stop solo-ing. Borderlands being a co-op game 'n all and the difficulty being ramped up whenever the player count increases. Problem somewhat solved.

I've noticed with two people the difficulty doesn't do much, it just gets even easier. When you get a third, and especially a fourth person, then it ramps up nicely, and people seem to die quite often.

Philthy said:
I've noticed with two people the difficulty doesn't do much, it just gets even easier. When you get a third, and especially a fourth person, then it ramps up nicely, and people seem to die quite often.
A co-op session with only two people gets reasonably difficult sometimes IF both players haven't done a bunch of sidequests yet. More enemies and a higher probability of encountering Badasses (which in turn increases the chances of better loot as you already know) than when playing it by yourself. Also worth of note is that the second playthrough is pretty harsh - provided you skipped some side missions again - even with only one co-op partner rather than a full room and even at level 50.

But you're right: Borderlands is at its toughest with three or more people.

MMaRsu

MicVlaD said:

I know, but I don't like playing with randoms, and I have a hard time finding enough time to fit in a good coop session. That's why I like playing solo, I can just do an instance without having to worry about what the other players want to do.

I just finished the main quest, thought the ending was bad (just like most games these days), but I must say I liked the game a lot

My question is, are there hard quests for me now? I could continue playing my character since I like it but it would be boring to just make boring and trivial seach this, kill this, retrieve 10 of these stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can start a "second playthrough," everything will be substantially harder and quests reset, you keep your stats and items.

Boss Man

1) I love this game. I bought Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls (I played the import 5 times over and sold it before the NA release), and Borderlands the other day. I'm about an hour into Uncharted and Demon's Souls. Borderlands is too awesome.

2) Is there a way to get a really good look at your character? I like messing around with the color palatte to get him looking different every now and then, but I don't even know what the 3rd one does (pants?). I'd like to be able to actually see who I'm playing as. I guess I could do splitscreen, but is there a more...practical way?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are you on PC? Based on your other purchases I'd say no. :( You mentioned splitscreen ah. Yeah that's probably your best all-around bet to get a good look. You can use it for mules too, so kill two birds with one stone.

Which is too bad, because 3rd person is pretty awesome.

Loudninja said:
I really hate how you join an online game and get every single mission they were doing.

^--- This

I decided to jump on a random server a couple of days after i got it to see what it was like. Filled my list with a whole load of crap from the host. I hadnt even visited the areas you get those quests from yet. That should probably be patched, other then that, good game :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think it should be patched :-[

If I join a really high-leveled person's game and they're just starting a quest (even if they've had it in their log a long time), I want to be able to do it with them and get the XP for it. It sucks to have a bunch of quests from later in the game then you are, but you're voluntarily joining the game instance of someone you know is much farther along than you.

Maybe there would be a better way to do it, like only get the quests of the area you are in (which is wherever the host is when you join)... I'd be down for that, and just adding quests from different areas as you visit them. But ultimately it can't protect you from being exposed to things way out of order except by stopping you from joining higher-leveled players' games, and I wouldn't want that. :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hawkian said:
I don't think it should be patched :-[

If I join a really high-leveled person's game and they're just starting a quest (even if they've had it in their log a long time), I want to be able to do it with them and get the XP for it. It sucks to have a bunch of quests from later in the game then you are, but you're voluntarily joining the game instance of someone you know is much farther along than you.

Maybe there would be a better way to do it, like only get the quests of the area you are in (which is wherever the host is when you join)... I'd be down for that, and just adding quests from different areas as you visit them. But ultimately it can't protect you from being exposed to things way out of order except by stopping you from joining higher-leveled players' games, and I wouldn't want that. :p

Just let me delete quests later. Easy as pie.

Top Bottom