• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

DaveKap said:
All your friends have the 360 or PC version? There's really no other reason.

I dunno ....getting tired of clicking on shit to death. Not to mention, despite best intentions, I still feel like i'm playing a console game on the PC. That kind of stuff bugs me
Also, I really feel like I'll be playing this for awhile, so might as have Trophies ya know...

Blizzard

Banned
Hawkian said:
PC version is best if you've got the rig for it and friends (like US!)
And if your friends list works, unlike me, and if you can host games and get friends to join, and if your router and port-forwarding works, and if you don't mind the bizarre combination of slightly laggy mouse-driven menus with pressing enter, along with some buttons automatically pressing, and the marvels of GameSpy... :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Firestorm said:
wtf ending
you're telling me the VAULT. the motherfucking VAULT did not have any amazing loot for me
Off to farming New Haven!
Blizzard said:
And if your friends list works, unlike me, and if you can host games and get friends to join, and if your router and port-forwarding works, and if you don't mind the bizarre combination of slightly laggy mouse-driven menus with pressing enter, along with some buttons automatically pressing, and the marvels of GameSpy... :D
Since everything works for me, yes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I still have yet to press the "enter" key once in Borderlands.

Yesterday I discovered how one might have to use "pgup/down"- I never read quest text in the bulletin board window, I just grab it and read it in my log (right then or later), where scrolling always worked fine for me.

But still no "enter." :p

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Since everything works for me, yes.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a PC gamer graphics whore. :( I'm just bitter that people are having fun (aside from those who have trouble hosting) and I'm mostly left out.

I do think the UI issues are also minorly annoying. Hawkian, I assume you can left click or something to get past the big "Press Enter" statement on the opening screen? :lol When I was trying to kick a couple of people from my game earlier today, I thought I knew how to do stuff. I knew I had to hit escape and then choose go to/view lobby, as intuitive as that may be (or not).

But then once I could see the lobby, clicking names didn't do anything, unless I missed something. I had to actually use the keyboard arrows to scroll down, pick the name, and then hit delete to kick them, and then I guess enter (or click) to confirm.

There are shortcuts in some cases, like number keys for the different options in the skills/missions screen, and that's nice. I think you either have to double click or press enter to activate a mission as current on your HUD, but I'm still not sure if guests can view a different quest from the main host or not.

Side note, it seems a little odd to me that the lock-on is disabled for a turret when someone starts using it...you'd think the turret gunner could enable auto-aim if they wanted, but I guess that would be too easy. :p

My brother rented the 360 version yesterday, he played it till levle 7 then we did split screen and I must have died atleast 20 times :lol
As he was the host i tagged along and did his quests and the enemys were stupidly tough compared to SP, at one point we went into an area and got attacked by 3 acid skags, a fire one and a bunch of smaller ones, was carnage :lol

desverger

Just found a x4 SMG last night, has crappy accuracy but it has 3.x zoom(!). That thing is sick with my +44% smg damage class mod. Too bad it doesn't have elemental, but it's more of a shotgun anyway :p

Game is terribly fun in coop. Just wish it used some real matchmaking service instead of the horror that is Crapspy so maybe my friends could host games too.

Finally got the game yesterday. I can see why this game doesn't get straight 10's. But I love it. Gonna level up some more then play online with a friend. Played online with some randoms yesterday. One time it was fine. The other times it was pretty bad.

Lord Phol

I was home yesterday and powered through the whole game, phew!
Was a fun run, though a bit unbalanced since I found a Double Anarchy SMG at around level 25 that just fucked everything up.

36x4 damage and with a 8+ firerate, add a Mercenary classmod and all the improve bullet speed/rate/dmg skils from Sirens skilltree and you can literally burst down anything in the game in about 5 seconds or less. It's like a burstfire shotgun, you get crits all over the place and barely need to aim at all.
There's just no reason to go any other way with the class if you get one of those babies.
Even got an upgraded version of it later on with like 51x4 dmg and ever faster fire rate and bigger magazine-size.

Kind of ruins the fun in getting new loot and trying new classmods/specs, hope that is something they look into for the potential sequel.
And like many said this game excells in Co-Op if you get into a good group.

Lord Phol

AgentOtaku said:
Well went ahead and bought the PS3 version on my lunchbreak.

You're in for quite a weekend :D.
Ever in need of some friendly scrag ass-whopping just add: LordPhol.
Not many in the online thread playing atm from my experience :z.

Blizzard

Banned
I sat down to go through a bigger port forwarding list very carefully, and kind of stumbled across what seems to be the solution to my friends list problem.

I must have had multiple profiles on (both? all three?) the emails of the GameSpy IDs I tried to log in with. After creating a new profile with an email address I knew I'd never used, I don't get the error messages in Borderlands.

Unfortunately, GameSpy in their infinite wisdom apparently doesn't let you delete profiles from your account, so I just installed some horrid GameSpy Arcade browser thing in the hopes that it will give me a roundabout method of deleting a profile so I don't have to start with a new username.

Blizzard

Banned
My profile is gone on the website, and I've uninstalled the stupid GameSpy Arcade software, but I still get the error on my other ID, so I'm just going to go with the new ID. Hawkian, I added you, and I can test tomorrow if it works. I'll probably change the ID though to something without a number in it.

I also completely defragmented the Borderlands files after verifying cache integrity, though I didn't defrag the whole hard disk. Level switching still seems at least 5-10 seconds...I'll try to check the CPU tomorrow.

Saya

So, after you kill
the destroyer
, can you continue playing or do you have to start over? I still need to do some sidequests I think because I didn't get that "complete all the quests in Rust Commons" achievement.

Lord Phol

Saya said:
So, after you kill
the destroyer
, can you continue playing or do you have to start over? I still need to do some sidequests I think because I didn't get that "complete all the quests in Rust Commons" achievement.

Yeh, when you load your character you get the option of choosing between "Playthrough 1" and "Playthrough 2". Just tried it yesterday, trying to find the last claptrap :).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
My profile is gone on the website, and I've uninstalled the stupid GameSpy Arcade software, but I still get the error on my other ID, so I'm just going to go with the new ID. Hawkian, I added you, and I can test tomorrow if it works. I'll probably change the ID though to something without a number in it.

I also completely defragmented the Borderlands files after verifying cache integrity, though I didn't defrag the whole hard disk. Level switching still seems at least 5-10 seconds...I'll try to check the CPU tomorrow.
Yeah ok 5-10 seconds sounds right.

Saya

Lord Phol said:
Yeh, when you load your character you get the option of choosing between "Playthrough 1" and "Playthrough 2". Just tried it yesterday, trying to find the last claptrap :).

Thanks! So I guess I'll finish up my first playthrough in a bit haha.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hesemonni said:
I think I have that exact same gun. The model looks identical, I know the damage and accuracy and clip sizes are identical...I think mine might be a 15.2 fire rate versus a 17.6 (not sure, but I didn't think it was a 17).

The gun is an absolute beast, and when my zerker's Revenge and Master Blaster abilities kick in...shit gets really stupid really fast :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:

5-10 seconds isn't okay with you? Seems like every time you mention a load time it has gone down a couple seconds :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Blizzard said:
What do you want? Instant level switching, like Randy said would happen 2 years ago, before they changed the engine? 5-10 seconds is good enough - it's better than what i'm getting.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Found one of these yesterday (I think I got it from a boss?) -

21kb8jm.png

Not exactly a world beater (don't like the rocket launchers in general, actually), but DAMN is it fun to fire off 5 straight incendiary rockets. There's fire all over the place. :lol

::edit::
Wait a minute, that pic isn't the same version that I have. I have a burst fire version with a clip size of 5 that fires them all on one pull of the trigger.

RubxQub

All of this rocket hate angers me! IT ANGERS ME!

DAMN YOU GIANT BOMBCAST!

You fabulous show, you...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
RubxQub said:
All of this rocket hate angers me! IT ANGERS ME!

DAMN YOU GIANT BOMBCAST!

You fabulous show, you...
Well... they do suck. You need a direct hit to do any damage. My best rocket launcher does 500 damage if i hit the rocket directly on the target. I usually don't, which leaves me reloading slowly.

My Battle Riffle does 127 damage per shot, on a 3 shot burst, which i can usually land all shots. On the head, it's critical and does ~200 damage.

And i can reload faster, which means i can fire faster.

I... don't see the use of rockets.

RubxQub

drizzle said:
Well... they do suck. You need a direct hit to do any damage. My best rocket launcher does 500 damage if i hit the rocket directly on the target. I usually don't, which leaves me reloading slowly.

My Battle Riffle does 127 damage per shot, on a 3 shot burst, which i can usually land all shots. On the head, it's critical and does ~200 damage.

And i can reload faster, which means i can fire faster.

I... don't see the use of rockets.
Rockets hit multiple people when fired, so your damage potential increased the closer people are together.

Rocket launchers that don't shoot a 3-rocket helix suck (not 3 rockets in a row, a triple twirling rocket for 1 ammo, not 3).

Rocket launchers that don't do elemental damage (fire or corrosive recommended) suck.

Rocket launchers that shoot slowly suck.

Rocket launchers that have a clip size of 1 suck.

My rocket launcher does 1000+ damage x 3 (for the price of one rocket), hitting everyone in the area with corrosive damage with a fire rate of 1.0, reloads quickly and has a 3 clip.

A sniper rifle requires pinpoint accuracy to do damage, a rocket you can fire and just hit close to do near full damage.

Rocket haters really need to find good rocket launchers.

...granted, this is coming from someone who mains a Brick...but even then, the abilities given to the Brick don't dramatically make rockets any better.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
RubxQub said:
My rocket launcher does 1000+ damage x 3 (for the price of one rocket), hitting everyone in the area with corrosive damage with a fire rate of 1.0, reloads quickly and has a 3 clip.
The 3 rockets firing thing i usually find worse, because you aim at the middle, but since the rockets go spinning on the outside, i usually only get one to hit.

And I can't get Area of Damage from rockets. It's either head on (to do all the damage) or, if I miss the target and hit the floor next to it, no damage.

Maybe that changes with corrosive procs, as the thing spreads around... but still....

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
FALLOUT 3 - some good atmosphere + great shooting mechanics = BORDERLANDS

i think if you liked the former, you must buy the latter.

RubxQub

drizzle said:
The 3 rockets firing thing i usually find worse, because you aim at the middle, but since the rockets go spinning on the outside, i usually only get one to hit.

And I can't get Area of Damage from rockets. It's either head on (to do all the damage) or, if I miss the target and hit the floor next to it, no damage.

Maybe that changes with corrosive procs, as the thing spreads around... but still....
Nah, you're just doing it wrong.

Jump in the air and shoot down at your targets to maximize damage, as if you shoot straight on you can either miss completely or hit the ground in front of them yielding no damage at all.

The area of effect works on non-elemental rockets as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The proc for elemental launchers is also AoE, which is more useful than it seems in areas with enemies bunched together.

RubxQub

Hawkian said:
The proc for elemental launchers is also AoE, which is more useful than it seems in areas with enemies bunched together.
Not to mention that someone melting from corrosive damage is more susceptible to bullet damage, as it reduces their armor while they're cooking.

It's a great opener against Brutes.

Loudninja

Amneisac said:
I think it has something to do with talents and stuff that increase the size of your magazine.

Yeah I know but still its kinda annoying to have to reload every time I exist the manual.

Unicorn said:
Depends the resolution you play at.

On my 360 it's smooth if i'm playing on my 20 something inch crt, but it'll chug a lot more often in action on my 62" in 1080p.

On my friend's ps3 when he's playin in 720p on a 30" something he seemed to be struggling with the framerate with only a few enemies on screen playing as Mordecai.

I play on a 40" 1080p and have had no slowdown at all. Game has run perfect for me. Ofcourse, I've heard people say RE5 tears at 1080 and I didn't experience that either.

Loudninja said:
Odd for some reason when I exit the manual I always have to reload my guns again.

The same thing happens when you equip shields with a HP bonus. Its annoying having to Phasewalk to activate Inner Glow.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So last night I finished up the game. I don't understand the complaints about the final couple areas leading up to the end, it's just like some of the earlier dungeons in the game. The snow looked absolutely gorgeous in the final areas. It was such a nice change visually. Actually the game in general looked quite nice. The shadows looked a bit lacking at times, but the Ambient Occlusion was a nice touch and the visual increase from 720p to 1080p is stunning compared to other games. You see so much more detail at higher resolutions it's not even funny. Actually it might be something with Unreal Engine 3.

Anyways some spoilers about the final boss:
SO did anyone else notice how the final boss was the exact same final boss Gearbox used in Half-Life Opposing Force? I couldn't believe it. Obviously the gameplay is somewhat different as it has one eye instead of two and has a mouth as a weakpoint but from a visual standpoint they ripped themselves off lol. It took me a couple tries to solo it until I realized the mouth+grenades did a ton of damage. It gave me shit loot and the end cutscene was pretty lame.

All in all I loved the game and already started my second playthrough. Can't wait for that DLC.

Shoogoo

SquallASF said:
I play on a 40" 1080p and have had no slowdown at all. Game has run perfect for me. Ofcourse, I've heard people say RE5 tears at 1080 and I didn't experience that either.

What's your television? If I may ask

Lord Phol said:
You're in for quite a weekend :D.
Ever in need of some friendly scrag ass-whopping just add: LordPhol.
Not many in the online thread playing atm from my experience :z.

Yeah I see you playing Borderlands a lot, if I grab the PS3 version tonight-we should tear up some Co-op. I'm an amazing Lvl 4 Hunter though.

SO I've encountered a bit of a problem in my play through 2. I finished all the quests in Rust Commons West and now having nothing in my log - I've checked the Fyrestone Board, New Haven Board, the leader of New Haven, Crazy Early, Tannis, and the board at the middle of nowhere (won't let me use it yet) Any idea what I need to do next?

Saya

Finished my first run of Borderlands. The ending and last boss are a little bit disappointing but I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. On my second run now, level 39, and just finished the Bonehead quest. Still loving it.

Cahill

Banned
Saya said:
Finished my first run of Borderlands. The ending and last boss are a little bit disappointing but I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. On my second run now, level 39, and just finished the Bonehead quest. Still loving it.

Yeah. I actually like the last areas and enemies though.

Top Bottom