• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Ding said:
Why is everyone saying my name? It's freaking me out! :lol

That seems to imply that you can phase into a close quarters fight, and then still phase back out if things go badly. I didn't think the cooldown period would allow that. (Although Lilith's cooldown is much shorter than Roland's.)

Are you hanging in the fight for the full 30(?) seconds, or is your character leveled enough to reduce the cooltime period significantly? I guess the latter, since you mentioned that your phaseblast was all sorts of awesome....

I think my friend would get killed if he tried that. (Level 10, and we're about to start over. Again.)
Yeah my character is at a high level so my skill points reduce the cooldown a lot. Whenever I get a kill the cooldown is reduced even more.

Deadly

Do the chests scale according to location or according to your level? In the Dohl headlands there's spot with 2 chests right beside the spawn point. Where are the New Haven chests to farm?

Blizzard

Banned
I do not understand this game. I'm not having problems with my computer otherwise.

People can join my game in public at least...or some people can.

And switching between, say, New Haven and the Arid Badlands is like 12 seconds either way, EVERY TIME. I don't think my hard disk light chugs, but I haven't checked to see if my CPU usage goes nuts during that time period. I'm using an e8400 core 2 duo at 3.0 GHz.

jabipun said:
Not much.

Gearbox did a great job on the console versions --- the PC version on the other hand, not so much.

Go for the version with better online/more friends.
Not true. The 360 version has much worse textures and the PS3 version has more screen tearing, frame drops and lacks the bloom effect.

teekun

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Not true. The 360 version has much worse textures and the PS3 version has more screen tearing, frame drops and lacks the bloom effect.

It's funny, I've played the hell out of the PS3 version and haven't noticed any significant frame drops. Maybe I was just too caught up in the action to notice them when they happened.

Unicorn

teekun said:
It's funny, I've played the hell out of the PS3 version and haven't noticed any significant frame drops. Maybe I was just too caught up in the action to notice them when they happened.
Depends the resolution you play at.

On my 360 it's smooth if i'm playing on my 20 something inch crt, but it'll chug a lot more often in action on my 62" in 1080p.

On my friend's ps3 when he's playin in 720p on a 30" something he seemed to be struggling with the framerate with only a few enemies on screen playing as Mordecai.

teekun

Unicorn said:
Depends the resolution you play at.

On my 360 it's smooth if i'm playing on my 20 something inch crt, but it'll chug a lot more often in action on my 62" in 1080p.

On my friend's ps3 when he's playin in 720p on a 30" something he seemed to be struggling with the framerate with only a few enemies on screen playing as Mordecai.

I'm playing at 720p as that's the native resolution of the game. So I don't know what to say. It definitely doesn't struggle at all when there are a few enemies on the screen. Although I have read some talk on Gearbox's forums that this could be related to the audio settings. I'm running mine as stereo over HDMI, so there's nothing there that's too intensive.

Unicorn

teekun said:
I'm playing at 720p as that's the native resolution of the game. So I don't know what to say. It definitely doesn't struggle at all when there are a few enemies on the screen. Although I have read some talk on Gearbox's forums that this could be related to the audio settings. I'm running mine as stereo over HDMI, so there's nothing there that's too intensive.
Yeah I heard about the audio thing as well. May be the case, since he's using HDMI on ps3 and I'm using composite.

Worst chug is when you get crits on the purple lobsters.

Blizzard

Banned
Just ran calculator to calculate some damage, and accidentally hit alt-F4 to close my game and lose a level or two, and some annoying enemies (like badass bruiser etc.).

Also the random people I were playing with seemed friendly, but then one ignored my request for mad jack's weapon (since I was hosting)...he got it himself, then quit. Figures. Hopefully there's some way he'll respawn?

I still don't understand the load times. At least friends can join me from their lists though I can't join their games. I'm also have terrible weapons and enemies are hard! I have an x7 pistol that actually seems to do decent damage against bruisers, though. Finally can use my plywood sniper (once I regain L22), though I'm not good at getting headshots with it.

Stupid question: Am I insane (possibly an artifact of my FOV), or does Lilith's phasewalk sometimes move slower than normal? Sometimes it seems super speedy and sometimes it feels like running speed.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Blizzard said:
Also the random people I were playing with seemed friendly, but then one ignored my request for mad jack's weapon (since I was hosting)...he got it himself, then quit. Figures. Hopefully there's some way he'll respawn?
Close the game, go back to the place he was in and he'll be there.

adg1034

teekun said:
I'm playing at 720p as that's the native resolution of the game.
puzzled-man.jpg

You playing on one of those console thingys?

teekun

adg1034 said:
puzzled-man.jpg

You playing on one of those console thingys?

Why yes I am, which is why we were discussing performance issues of the PS3 version.

The game renders at 720p, and playing at 1080 is just upscaling the output. I guess "native resolution" isn't the correct term for it. My PS3 is set to use all supported resolutions, but any natively 720p game will always output at 720p instead of upscaling to the maximum resolution.

HappyDad

Neo Member
Hazaro said:
I found an Atlas shotty.
276*11 :lol
Holds 2 (4 with mod)
Fire rate of 1.2
Has a scope on it.
Should I be close to 50 to see these babies? I'm at 32, and best I see are around 500 dmg total.

aparisi2274

Quick question...

I am currently in
New Haven
and I am at level 26, and I was wondering what is a decent level that I should be at to beat the game?

I've heard mid-30's to low 40's.. Just wondering.

Hazaro said:
I found an Atlas shotty.
276*11 :lol
Holds 2 (4 with mod)
Fire rate of 1.2
Has a scope on it.
What's the accuracy on that puppy?

aparisi2274 said:
Quick question...

I am currently in
New Haven
and I am at level 26, and I was wondering what is a decent level that I should be at to beat the game?

I've heard mid-30's to low 40's.. Just wondering.
I did every quest and screwed around in other peoples' games before I finished, and I was level 36.

teekun

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I did every quest and screwed around in other peoples' games before I finished, and I was level 36.

Yeah I was exactly the same. 36 was an absolutely fine level to start the second playthrough on. The challenge has been just about perfect so far.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I think we can expect some DLC news very soon. Mikey is out in San Francisco about to start a press tour for the DLC.

I really hope so, it's such a tease seeing those DLC trophies sitting in my trophy list.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So...apparently there are two shades of orange weapons in this game:

photo-5.jpg

There was nothing noticeably different about the stats on the gun, and the gun didn't seem abnormally good for its level.

Anyone know what's up with these?

RubxQub

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Three actually. There's yellow, orange and dark orange.
Rarity indicators within the orange tree?

RubxQub

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Yep. Darker the rarer.
Interesting...

Rockets rule!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
Pssh

I finally got my hands on a Skullmasher

dam 235x6
acc 93.3
fire .4

Imagine a headshot with that baby.

with an accuracy of 93.3 imagine is what you'll have to do most of the time if you want to see a headshot.

RubxQub

For what it's worth (in regards to shotguns), a high rate of fire and an increased clip size seem to be much better than the super high damage, low fire rate low clip size ones. Sure, you might REALLY own one guy, but then you're spending too much time loading up the next round or changing out a clip.

You get one with 180 x 12 with a 1.5+ fire rate and a 12 magazine, you're going to be tearing multiple people new assholes quickly.
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Pfffffffffffffffffffffttttttt.
My 1000+ helix launcher with x4 corrosive damage and a 1.0 fire rate with insane reload speed and a magazine size of 3 scream "awesome"!

3k initial damage for the price of one rocket, then the people are cooking in slop and are more susceptible to my murderous SMG (very very similar to the one you posted earlier actually...maybe identical?) or shotty.

Opening a fight with my rockets or using them to get me my second winds are AMAZING!

AMAAAAAAAAAAZING!

DaveKap

Banned
Hey so uhh... can someone explain why one of these is much more expensive and has a much higher level requirement despite having worse stats?

2cfz8lt.jpg

sztxk8.jpg

I mean heck, I even got something better and it ends up being cheaper and lower level.

s3pu2d.jpg

There's obviously something going on with that high level requirement one. But what?!

RubxQub

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I have another shotgun that fits that description. The only problem is it's really inaccurate. Like in the 20s range. I hate a huge shotgun spread.
Yeah, I don't mind the shotties being in the lower accuracies because my SMG is my bread and butter weapon. If I'm switching to my shotgun, I'm right in their face anyways so they'll feel the full love in their faces.

I did have a super high fire rate accurate shotty with a high clip size and it was sick...but the damage on it wasn't good enough to hold onto.
DaveKap said:
Hey so uhh... can someone explain why one of these is much more expensive and has a much higher level requirement despite having worse stats?

There's obviously something going on with that high level requirement one. But what?!
Don't read into it. It's just that if you were level 43, that amount of money is about equivalent to it's value percentage wise.

Level 30 class mod at level 30 = 10 bucks...you have 100 bucks on average.
Level 40 class mod at level 40 = 20 bucks...you have 200 bucks on average.

Fake numbers, but you get the point. It matches what you'd likely have at the level, regardless of the stats.

DaveKap

Banned
RubxQub said:
you get the point. It matches what you'd likely have at the level, regardless of the stats.

But the question remains, why does it have such a high level requirement? Are the level requirements themselves just fake numbers too? I have a hard time believing that..

bdouble

teekun said:
Why yes I am, which is why we were discussing performance issues of the PS3 version.

The game renders at 720p, and playing at 1080 is just upscaling the output. I guess "native resolution" isn't the correct term for it. My PS3 is set to use all supported resolutions, but any natively 720p game will always output at 720p instead of upscaling to the maximum resolution.
that isnt going to affect performance. its stretching not scaling/adding in any extra pixels and I have no idea how you cant notice the drops in the PS3 version. I regularly get them when running into a group of bandits.

Woo-Fu said:
with an accuracy of 93.3 imagine is what you'll have to do most of the time if you want to see a headshot.

Maybe you just suck at headshots. Skullmasher is a sniper rifle. Seeing as how predictable bandits are when they duck for cover or when they rush you, headshots aren't that hard.

RuGalz

My current 4 slots, although most of the time I only use the pistol and non-element SMG. Works very well with my Daze build against armor guys. Love the ammo regen lol; they have saved my ass so many times already.

167v9n8.jpg

28s282r.jpg

2dsiwj8.jpg

15f3ipc.jpg

Teknoman

Need more people to co-op with on PC version. Im level 26 (soldier)

Gamespy: Teknoman_EX

Public games arent THAT bad, but GAF games seem that much better.

man, just installed my 5770, had to finally see what borderlands really looks like. It is the shiiit!!! All high settings and so far not a frame drop.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It respawns. Enjoy the feeling of ungodly power 10 levels later when you can bring it down using your favorite combination of weapons.

Top Bottom