• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

desertdroog

What Hawkian said.

I'm still at 20% of Batman: AA.

I stopped playing it when Borderlands came out, and plan to get back into Batman this weekend, now that I am almost done with my first play through.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
desertdroog said:
What Hawkian said.

I'm still at 20% of Batman: AA.

I stopped playing it when Borderlands came out, and plan to get back into Batman this weekend, now that I am almost done with my first play through.

Word for word man. Looking forward to it and it's the kind of game where I don't even know if things WILL happen or not, so that's already sort of spoiled... :p

DaveKap

Banned
Hawkian said:
Any mods over 5 are still "hidden," unfortunately, maybe by design. Anyway, do this.

Change the font size to 10 instead of 11. I'm fairly certain I have a couple items with 6 lines and I can read them all at size 10 (with room for probably 2 more, if that's even possible.) I'll see if I can get a screenshot tonight.

Dreavus

SundaySounds said:
Rakk Hive: Bigger disappointment than Killer Croc? This guy thinks so.

I don't know about the Croc, but the Rakk Hive was pathetic.
We all stood on a ridge and shot it in the face until it died. I don't remember taking any damage whatsoever. They should have "forced" us into an arena with him or something - one of my friends started walking right around him near the end just to see if he'd do anything. ><

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DaveKap said:
Change the font size to 10 instead of 11. I'm fairly certain I have a couple items with 6 lines and I can read them all at size 10 (with room for probably 2 more, if that's even possible.) I'll see if I can get a screenshot tonight.

No, unfortunately :-[ There's no limit on the number of lines, but the number of individual stats that can show. Please do post your screenshot, but if I were a gambling man I'd put down some cash on you having an item with a line of red text that is long enough to wrap around to a second line, but that still only counts as one stat.

Jason

Pew Pew Pew!

pewpewpew.jpg

Pctx

Banned
I got an S11 today--- Orange Epic weapon... high stats... AND Regens Revolver Ammo for free!! :lol

Seriously, this gun is so f'ning awesome!

Hawkian said:
Please stop talking about it here. :/
Oh man stop playing borderlands and do your self a favor and finish batman that game is way better then borderlands. and I really like borderlands so thats saying a lot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm going to get back into it this weekend and hopefully beat it. It's much harder for me to play in small bursts than Borderlands (though time flies when playing Borderlands too) and during the week I don't have good solid chunks of free time that often. I'm excited.

I do like Borderlands better though. It's just my personal preference of game type and not a reflection of the quality of either game, though. Batman should easily be considered on the short list for anyone's GOTY.

Pctx

Banned
practice02 said:
Oh man stop playing borderlands and do your self a favor and finish batman that game is way better then borderlands. and I really like borderlands so thats saying a lot.
Stop thread crapping Junior.

edgefusion

I just got this:

DSC_00022.jpg

Along with my SMG skill of +27% Damage, +60% Reload Speed and +81% Accuracy this thing is a total beast. It reloads so fast I can shoot an almost constant stream of bullets, which come out VERY fast thanks to 5/5 Quicksilver skill and +4 Quicksilver on a class mod. It drinks ammo like nobodies business but thats all good with the Hallelujah (ammo regen) and +16 ammo regen in-built. I'll never need to buy ammo again!

EDIT: Damage is 87 by the way.

Barrett2

Got a little ahead of myself in a quest. I am level 16, was getting mowed down, brought a fellow Gaffer into the game, but he was only a level 3, and we both got shot to hell pretty quick. Looks like I need some more grinding before trying that quest again. :lol

Quick question-

I played with a buddy who is level 35 (I'm currently a lvl. 22 Soldier) and we played through the first couple levels of his second playthrough. I didn't get anytime to check, but I wanted to know if my game would be filled with level 30 enemies now?

Firestorm

Dreavus said:
I don't know about the Croc, but the Rakk Hive was pathetic.
We all stood on a ridge and shot it in the face until it died. I don't remember taking any damage whatsoever. They should have "forced" us into an arena with him or something - one of my friends started walking right around him near the end just to see if he'd do anything. ><
When the boss died it actually pushed me away as I was trying to revive him and I had to do it all over again with half his body underneath the boss :(

For such a large boss it really was pretty pathetic.

Paznos

AvidNobody said:
Quick question-

I played with a buddy who is level 35 (I'm currently a lvl. 22 Soldier) and we played through the first couple levels of his second playthrough. I didn't get anytime to check, but I wanted to know if my game would be filled with level 30 enemies now?
You shouldn't have any level 30 enemies in your game til you get to the area with them but you will pick up any quests your friend had which will be level 20-30+ which kinda sucks.

edgefusion

Hawkian said:
Holy crap. Do you have high velocity too? I can't wait to play a siren :lol

Not yet, it'll be the last skill I pick up but goddamn when I do lol.

If any Gaffers fancy playing then add me, I'm in an open game but I've not had anyone join in hours.

Hawkian said:
I'm going to get back into it this weekend and hopefully beat it. It's much harder for me to play in small bursts than Borderlands (though time flies when playing Borderlands too) and during the week I don't have good solid chunks of free time that often. I'm excited.

I do like Borderlands better though. It's just my personal preference of game type and not a reflection of the quality of either game, though. Batman should easily be considered on the short list for anyone's GOTY.
I don't know about short list? 2009 has been a good year for games probably the best in a long time some real winners, and 2010 is going to start out strong as well, it looks like.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Whats the deal with Radiance? The shock damage blows even after I've maxed it. Its good for taking out shields on phase blast I guess, but I can get the same result from an artifact (I believe at least). I mean, I love my Phoenix, Radiance Shock, Acid Explosion Omni-Phase Blast of Doom :D but could my points be better spent?

*Intuition is awesome. Siren=Fire Ninja

Victrix

*beard*
Radiance is pretty terrible. With a class mod and maxed skill, it can do respectable shield damage, but compared to the damage you can do with the points elsewhere, it's just not that good. I almost wonder if its bugged, the damage is hilariously low on ng++

My main problem with a heavy elemental Lilith is the 360 chugs so bad I'm afraid it's going to RROD :lol

I switched her back to mostly controller for that reason, saving the elemental number spray for my PC version.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
edgefusion said:
Not yet, it'll be the last skill I pick up but goddamn when I do lol.

If any Gaffers fancy playing then add me, I'm in an open game but I've not had anyone join in hours.

Not sure I know your gamespy ID, but let me know and I'll add you! I always play in open games as well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Alright. I'm a level 32 Soldier soloing the game (i have a hunter for multiplayer that i'm going through with a friend).
When he's not around, i play with the soldier, for the story.

Anyway, doing a quest on Middle of Nowhere board, I got this weapon as a reward:

ItemCard00003.jpg

Ok, it has Feel the Sting (Fires 2 extra bullets with each shot), but aside from that, it's not using any bullets?
I mean, i fire it, it fires 3 shots at burst, but it never uses any ammo. As long as i hammer the fire button, the thing fires away. I know theres the "Sometimes i forget to reload" red text that does that, but this weapon doesn't have it.

Reading the wikia, it seems i actually have "The Dove", which is a quest reward. However, i got a modified version of it:

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dove
The gun can randomly have one of the following accessory modifications:
Hornet suffix, damage increased to 115, fire rate increased to 8.7, gains the text Feel the Sting, +200% Burst Fire Count, Corrosive x3, weapon name is changed from The Dove to BLR Hornet and is orange; it still has infinite ammo

Apparently, this weapon has two red text charactieristics, but only one shows up. Weird and awesome all at the same time. :D I'm going to start using it over this one:

ItemCard00010.jpg

I haven't tested it on the field.. but.. it doesn't use any bullets! And also has Corrosive, which is my favorite elemental damage. BEcause of that, i also use these weapons:

ItemCard00005.jpg
and
ItemCard00006.jpg

The shotgun was great enough as it is, but I'm also using this mod:

ItemCard00008.jpg

Which gives these bonus to ALL weapons I'm using. Not only the fire rate is enhanced, but the clip size aswell. Made my rifle unbeatable:

ItemCard00002.jpg

Only problem i had with it was firing rate (i had one that did less damage but had a better fire rate and better clip size). Not a problem now! I can't seem to find a remotely better rifle than this one, as all the other rifles fall in the 50-90 damage area.

Reading a couple of pages back, i also got the "Give Sick" revolver:

ItemCard00009.jpg

But i'm saving it to transfer to my Hunter, along with this:

ItemCard00012.jpg

Which is not as awesome as Bloodwing damage, but is pretty awesome.

Edit: Sorry about the long post, but i wanted to show my stuff. :D

DY_nasty

Victrix said:
Radiance is pretty terrible. With a class mod and maxed skill, it can do respectable shield damage, but compared to the damage you can do with the points elsewhere, it's just not that good. I almost wonder if its bugged, the damage is hilariously low on ng++

My main problem with a heavy elemental Lilith is the 360 chugs so bad I'm afraid it's going to RROD :lol

I switched her back to mostly controller for that reason, saving the elemental number spray for my PC version.
lol, my 360 begs for mercy after every kill.

Phoenix keeps blowing up boxes too... and I really have to learn to be more careful as to where I exit phase. I sent myself to hell plenty of times by just jumping around too much.

ItemCard00000.png

ItemCard00001.png

ItemCard00002.png

Is it normal for a Level 19 Hunter to have weapons this shitty? I'm heading to fight this big bad guy and I have to deal with a firefight in a big industrial area with an annoying-ass chaingun. All the loot in the area sucks and I want better weapons. I've only seen a couple of purple ones and the one purple sniper with fire bullets was inferior to the S&S one so I sold it. Why can't I find better weapons?

mandiller

I just finished my first playthrough. Boy, now I know what you guys mean about the weak ending. My thoughts were "that's it?"

Anywho, just started playthrough 2 but I shall give the game a little bit of a break for now I think.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
OK Berserkers, listen up.

Blaster Tree:

Revenge: Max this.
Master Blaster: Max this.
Class Mods: Boost those two.

Tank Tree:

Hardened: Max this.
Safeguard: Max this.
Diehard: Max this.

Whenever you kill someone, you become the left hand of God and ruin the fuck out of every living thing in sight. Grab the most powerful shotgun or SMG you can find and just charge up on fools. The moment you kill one...fucking lay waste to the world.

Someone kills you?! GREAT! With Diehard it's impossible to actually DIE, and you just shoot yourself back up with wicked health and you're off killing again.

So fucking fun. SO FUCKING FUN!

My build: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/#31000000055000555554105

Liquidate point is because just about every Master Blaster class mod boosts Liquidate with Revenge and Master Blaster. Get as many explosive weapons as you can, and own everything.

Too bad we don't get a choice regarding the ending. I think it would have been awesome if you could give it to the arms dealer who's name I can't remember right now in exchange for a chest of guaranteed orange weapons.

GWX

drizzle said:

I have one of those, Siren Lv. 29.
It's my main weapon, even when I also have a purple SMG that is much better (considering my stats). I got the SMG in Arid Badlands doing the mission "Leaving Firestone", level ~15 I think, when the weapon required Lv. 25 :lol

Barrett2

Is it normal to hit a wall with difficulty? For the first six hours I was mowing dudes down, only dying occasionally, but I just hit a damn hard mission. Did I just hit a bad streak with finding guns, do I need to grind for a bit?

Wag

BTW, if anyone wants to add me as a friend, my Gamespy name is Wag1 and I'm a Lvl 29 Lilith.

Is there a list for Gamespy friends somewhere for the game?

Flunkie

Banned
lawblob said:
Is it normal to hit a wall with difficulty? For the first six hours I was mowing dudes down, only dying occasionally, but I just hit a damn hard mission. Did I just hit a bad streak with finding guns, do I need to grind for a bit?
Completely normal. It's pretty rough at the beginning especially. Playing coop definitely helps beef up your character for single player.

GWX

lawblob said:

I'm not the best guy because I haven't finished the game yet, but so far it has been a cakewalk. Try making some sidequests, I did them all before moving to the next area.

EDIT:
Flunkie said:
Completely normal. It's pretty rough at the beginning especially. Playing coop definitely helps beef up your character for single player.

Seriously? When I clocked 10 hours at the game I already wanted a hard difficulty. I usually have trouble with shooters, but this game is an exception. Strange that both of you find it to be challenging.

rass

ChoklitReign said:
Is it normal for a Level 19 Hunter to have weapons this shitty? I'm heading to fight this big bad guy and I have to deal with a firefight in a big industrial area with an annoying-ass chaingun. All the loot in the area sucks and I want better weapons. I've only seen a couple of purple ones and the one purple sniper with fire bullets was inferior to the S&S one so I sold it. Why can't I find better weapons?

I was level 17 hunter when I got there. I died, A LOT. But I levelled up when I killed him. My awesome tactic was to leave the psychos alone so i had something to kill for a second wind haha.

Currently a level 30 Hunter, loving the game (I had the sentinel also, but I may have sold it for something better, I'll check when I get home)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GWX, don't do all the sidequests, or take on some higher leveled enemies (or go online with 4 players and do anything) to find a challenge.

Flunkie

Banned
GWX said:
Seriously? When I clocked 10 hours at the game I already wanted a hard difficulty. I usually have trouble with shooters, but this game is an exception. Strange that both of you find it to be challenging.
I was having some serious trouble when I hit about level 4 up until about level 8 or 9 maybe. Since then, I've had no real huge problems. I've heard of all sorts of times where my friends hit a wall and got frustrated with the difficulty.

RubxQub said:
Someone kills you?! GREAT! With Diehard it's impossible to actually DIE, and you just shoot yourself back up with wicked health and you're off killing again.

Unless of course you die and all the enemies run away. I'm on Playthrough 2 and just about ever time I'm brought down by a human enemy they go duck behind a corner or run out of range while I sit there and black out so I can't aim at them anymore. Might just be a really odd fluke, though.

Psy-Phi

Peronthious said:
Unless of course you die and all the enemies run away. I'm on Playthrough 2 and just about ever time I'm brought down by a human enemy they go duck behind a corner or run out of range while I sit there and black out so I can't aim at them anymore. Might just be a really odd fluke, though.
Nope, happens to me too. Quite annoying. Even the Aliens at the end run away some times. Or fucking strafe so quick it's impossible to shoot them since I can't move.

DY_nasty

Psy-Phi said:
Nope, happens to me too. Quite annoying. Even the Aliens at the end run away some times. Or fucking strafe so quick it's impossible to shoot them since I can't move.
Wish I could at least change guns before I go down... Nothing worse than having a sniper rifle out when the end is near.

DY_nasty said:
Wish I could at least change guns before I go down... Nothing worse than having a sniper rifle out when the end is near.

I thought you could change while down? I swear I've done so. The things I think you cant do is zoom aim or use grenades/specials.

Zeliard

TurtleSnatcher said:
:lol

The hawk with the right talents becomes SOOOO good

I'm playing as the Hunter and literally all I've done since the start is upgrade the hawk abilities when leveling up. Nothing else. Why anything else?

Zeliard said:
I'm playing as the Hunter and literally all I've done since the start is upgrade the hawk abilities when leveling up. Nothing else. Why anything else?

I like getting tons of one shot kills with headshots and hearing Mordecai say "BOOM!" so I went down the Sniper tree

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
any game where you have a deadly pet you throw at people is good in my book. this is the reason why SHADOW DANCER is my favorite shinobi. that dog rips up a goon crotch like nobody's business.

Insaniac

They need to fix this "4 mods viewable on a item" thing because I think my sniper has 150% critical bonus (don't all snipers have this?) but I can't see it.

Top Bottom