• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

While not the most efficient or safest way of killing things, I'm really liking my Siren's Plaguebearer build that uses constant Phaseblasts to daze enemies along with my x4 corrosive rocket launcher that fires in a spread pattern.

Feindflug

SquallASF said:
I play on a 40" 1080p and have had no slowdown at all. Game has run perfect for me. Ofcourse, I've heard people say RE5 tears at 1080 and I didn't experience that either.

Ι still haven't played Borderlands on my set (Samsung 40F86) but I've seen RE5 on 3 different HDTV's at 1080p and the tearing was horrible in all 3 sets...in fact this is maybe a strange bug of the MT Framework (also stated at an article at digitalfoundry) as all games based on that engine on resolutions higher than 720p are plagued with tearing.

BTW still waiting for my copy (along with Tekken 6) from play-asia to arrive... :(

AgentOtaku said:
I dunno ....getting tired of clicking on shit to death. Not to mention, despite best intentions, I still feel like i'm playing a console game on the PC. That kind of stuff bugs me
Also, I really feel like I'll be playing this for awhile, so might as have Trophies ya know...
I can't think of a valid reason why you should opt for the PS3 version if you already have a PC that can run the game flawlessly or at the very least with a consistent framerate. The performance on consoles is really bad (somewhat depending on the resolution allegedly), if that matters to you.

drizzle said:
Well... they do suck. You need a direct hit to do any damage. My best rocket launcher does 500 damage if i hit the rocket directly on the target. I usually don't, which leaves me reloading slowly.
You don't need to hit your enemies dead-on with a rocket. Don't know what gave you that impression. Splash damage is good enough to put a serious dent on your enemy's health / shield, even if it doesn't have an elemental to boost its strength.

RubxQub said:
Rockets hit multiple people when fired, so your damage potential increased the closer people are together.

Rocket launchers that don't shoot a 3-rocket helix suck (not 3 rockets in a row, a triple twirling rocket for 1 ammo, not 3).

Rocket launchers that don't do elemental damage (fire or corrosive recommended) suck.

Rocket launchers that shoot slowly suck.

Rocket launchers that have a clip size of 1 suck.

My rocket launcher does 1000+ damage x 3 (for the price of one rocket), hitting everyone in the area with corrosive damage with a fire rate of 1.0, reloads quickly and has a 3 clip.

A sniper rifle requires pinpoint accuracy to do damage, a rocket you can fire and just hit close to do near full damage.

Rocket haters really need to find good rocket launchers.

...granted, this is coming from someone who mains a Brick...but even then, the abilities given to the Brick don't dramatically make rockets any better.
- The Helix rocket launchers are hit-and-miss. Often only 1 rocket will hit where they should (even if you adjust the way you fire them) and it's a pain to deal with turrets when using one of those.

- Rocket launchers without elemental damage can be good too.

- You forgot to mention that rocket launchers with burst fire are the ones that truly "suck".

SquallASF said:
I play on a 40" 1080p and have had no slowdown at all. Game has run perfect for me.
Given how poorly the game performs on consoles, I sincerely doubt that.

I bought borderlands on steam presuming I could play it, I have core2 duo 6400 and ati x800 gto 2, but when i went to play the game it crashed due to me not having pixel shader 3.0. Clearly I haven't been a PC gamer in a while and missed this pixel shader business. Now I am looking for a cheap upgrade to play borderlands and I don't want to wait a week to get it shipped so I was wondering if this is a viable upgrade and will it run Borderlands?http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...0113482&catid=25617&logon=&langid=EN&dm=DEBUG
PS I am in Canada, so this would be cheaper in US dollars.

Paznos

The game runs fine on the PS3 there have been a few times where the framerate got low but 2 of those times I was going up a elevator lol and the other was when I was fighting a pretty big monster with lots of adds, but overall I haven't had any major performance issues the game doesn't run poorly.

Shoogoo said:
What's your television? If I may ask

It's a Samsung, 550 series I believe.

MicVlaD said:
Given how poorly the game performs on consoles, I sincerely doubt that.

Hasn't performed poorly for me *shrug* No reason to lie about it. I didn't have that RE5 tearing problem either so either I'm just lucky, or my tv pwns. I think a little of both :) Granted, there's at least two successors to mine now but it's still working great for me. My roommate had the tearing issue with RE5 though, he even had it at 720p!

funkmastergeneral said:
SO I've encountered a bit of a problem in my play through 2. I finished all the quests in Rust Commons West and now having nothing in my log - I've checked the Fyrestone Board, New Haven Board, the leader of New Haven, Crazy Early, Tannis, and the board at the middle of nowhere (won't let me use it yet) Any idea what I need to do next?

The guy standing up on the cat walk at the middle of nowhere outpost gives you a few quests which ultimatley lead to reparing the quest board at that outpost. Just run up to where the board is, and then across from it, staying on the catwalk. Only guy there.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MicVlaD said:
You don't need to hit your enemies dead-on with a rocket. Don't know what gave you that impression. Splash damage is good enough to put a serious dent on your enemy's health / shield, even if it doesn't have an elemental to boost its strength.

- The Helix rocket launchers are hit-and-miss. Often only 1 rocket will hit where they should (even if you adjust the way you fire them) and it's a pain to deal with turrets when using one of those.

- Rocket launchers without elemental damage can be good too.

- You forgot to mention that rocket launchers with burst fire are the ones that truly "suck"
Again, my style of shooting the rockets seem very different than others. You jump and shoot them downwards at the enemy to ensure that you're aiming at their feet, not their head or their body. This way you'll get all 3 rockets to either hit them directly or land directly next to them so you still get the splash damage.

You can shoot your rocket right into someone standing right next to you as long as you jump away from them and shoot down at them.

Rocket haters need to duel me and see who kills harder.

Hint: I kill in one shot and don't even have to hit you directly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
arts&crafts said:
I bought borderlands on steam presuming I could play it, I have core2 duo 6400 and ati x800 gto 2, but when i went to play the game it crashed due to me not having pixel shader 3.0. Clearly I haven't been a PC gamer in a while and missed this pixel shader business. Now I am looking for a cheap upgrade to play borderlands and I don't want to wait a week to get it shipped so I was wondering if this is a viable upgrade and will it run Borderlands?http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...0113482&catid=25617&logon=&langid=EN&dm=DEBUG

I don'think I can recommend that in good conscience. But if you are only willing to spend that much, I do believe it would RUN Borderlands.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
arts&crafts said:
I bought borderlands on steam presuming I could play it, I have core2 duo 6400 and ati x800 gto 2
X800? Holy hell, i didn't even know they made those on PCI Express. That's one hell of an old card.

The 9500 you linked is horrible. Hell, even the 9600 is horrible. If you REALLY want to game on the cheap, get AT LEAST an NVidia 9600. But i'm pretty sure you can find a series 4xxx from ATI to help you. I don't know my low-end videocards well enough to help you - but if you need a HighEnd videocard, just give me a shout out.

You could, also, go to the Neogaf Desktop PC thread, there's lots of good deals on hardware there.

RubxQub said:
Nah, you're just doing it wrong.

Jump in the air and shoot down at your targets to maximize damage, as if you shoot straight on you can either miss completely or hit the ground in front of them yielding no damage at all.

The area of effect works on non-elemental rockets as well.
Would this be considered a decent rocket launcher then?

23r0hvl.jpg

Because... it still sucks! I still get faster/more precise firing (and thus, more damage done to the enemies) with my Assault Rifle, since not all 3 rockets hit the target to do said damage.

RubxQub

drizzle said:
X800? Holy hell, i didn't even know they made those on PCI Express. That's one hell of an old card.

23r0hvl.jpg

Because... it still sucks! I still get faster/more precise firing with my Assault Rifle, since not all 3 rockets hit the target and do damage.
That rocket launcher shoots a bit slow, but otherwise is a good one for your level.

To ensure that you're getting all 3 rockets to hit, aim at their feet when jumping, don't shoot straight on.

X - - - - - O = bad

X
...\
....\
.....\
......\
.......O

= good.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
drizzle said:

23r0hvl.jpg

Because... it still sucks! I still get faster/more precise firing (and thus, more damage done to the enemies) with my Assault Rifle, since not all 3 rockets hit the target to do said damage.
Have you used it on Lance yet?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
RubxQub said:
That rocket launcher shoots a bit slow, but otherwise is a good one for your level.

To ensure that you're getting all 3 rockets to hit, aim at their feet when jumping, don't shoot straight on.

X - - - - - O = bad

X
...\
....\
.....\
......\
.......O

= good.

I'll use the easier version of your graphic:

Rocket Launchers = bad

I've been bunnyhopping like a mofo with that launcher and yeah, while it works at close range, at medium range it's just a joke. And at close range I have my Corrosive Shotgun that does the exact same job, without me jumping all over the place.

As a soldier, i don't like it. Don't know about brick's skills tho.

Firestorm

arts&crafts said:
Never, ever buy PC parts from Future Shop.

Just wait for shipping. Or where do you live and I'll point you to something better if possible.

SquallASF said:
The guy standing up on the cat walk at the middle of nowhere outpost gives you a few quests which ultimatley lead to reparing the quest board at that outpost. Just run up to where the board is, and then across from it, staying on the catwalk. Only guy there.

I recall in my first run through there was actually a quest to go up and talk to that guy, which seems to be the case since he's not offering me anything. Just don't know how to get that one

RubxQub

drizzle said:
I'll use the easier version of your graphic:

Rocket Launchers = bad
So frustrating, because I know this isn't true. It's just silly at this point trying to argue it.

The impact damage is insanely high, and the elemental effect after impact melts their health even more (a lot, actually) and makes them weaker to damage (corrosive).

All I know is that they don't suck, and I'll post my other weapons if people think I play with shitty guns.

RubxQub said:
Again, my style of shooting the rockets seem very different than others. You jump and shoot them downwards at the enemy to ensure that you're aiming at their feet, not their head or their body. This way you'll get all 3 rockets to either hit them directly or land directly next to them so you still get the splash damage.

You can shoot your rocket right into someone standing right next to you as long as you jump away from them and shoot down at them.
That is exactly what I do as well. Doesn't make the Helix Rocket Launchers any less unreliable than they already are however.

Standard rocket lawnchairs > helix >>>>>> burst fire.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
RubxQub said:
So frustrating, because I know this isn't true. It's just silly at this point trying to argue it.
And you're probably right. I don't notice area of effect damage when using rocket launchers - maybe i'm just stupid or maybe i'm expecting MORE damage from non direct hits.

I guess it just doesn't fit my playstyle.. :D

RubxQub

MicVlaD said:
That is exactly what I do as well. Doesn't make the Helix Rocket Launchers any less unreliable than they already are however.

Standard rocket lawnchairs > helix >>>>>> burst fire.
NOOOOO!

How is it even possible that a helix launcher can be worse than a normal rocket launcher?

If you're aiming downwards, all 3 are going to at least land right next to the person, so all 3 will do their damage in some respect. The damage on helix launchers aren't less than regular launchers, so their damage potential is at worst equal, at best 3 times as good.

Haint

So is there a rank of weapons above gold/yellow/orange? I found a pistol with a white name/label that sorts above everything else in the default listing. It has one of the named stats (no idea what it does) and was pretty exceptional for it's level.

drizzle said:

The 9500 you linked is horrible. Hell, even the 9600 is horrible. If you REALLY want to game on the cheap, get AT LEAST an NVidia 9600. But i'm pretty sure you can find a series 4xxx from ATI to help you. I don't know my low-end videocards well enough to help you - but if you need a HighEnd videocard, just give me a shout out.

You could, also, go to the Neogaf Desktop PC thread, there's lots of good deals on hardware there.

23r0hvl.jpg

Just get the new 5770 radeon HD. My jaw dropped when I tried it out last night after installing it. I had all settings maxed except for AFx6. And it runs on my 350w psu. Thats not even the high end card either. For only 160-170, not sure for that price what could beat it.

RubxQub

Reallink said:
So is there a rank of weapons above gold/yellow/orange? I found a pistol with a white name/label that sorts above everything else in the default listing. It has one of the named stats (no idea what it does) and was pretty exceptional for it's level.
I've run into these as well. They always have some type of red text describing some special attribute they have, but they never seem nearly as exceptional as the yellow/orange/dark orange guns.

Seem like common guns with special properties, but not all the perks available to an orange.

Firestorm said:
Never, ever buy PC parts from Future Shop.

Just wait for shipping. Or where do you live and I'll point you to something better if possible.

Fair enough, I guess I will just order one. What is the best card I can get for under 100 Canadian? Should I check out tiger direct?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Reallink said:
Higher whites are a glitch in the rarity system where the rarity index goes over 100 due to the bonus some red text can give the weapon.

Dark Orange goes up to 100, but if it goes over the game treats the color as a white at a higher index (which is why it is at the top).

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Just get the new 5770 radeon HD. My jaw dropped when I tried it out last night after installing it. I had all settings maxed except for AFx6. And it runs on my 350w psu. Thats not even the high end card either. For only 160-170, not sure for that price what could beat it.
I want to slap one of those into my rig and crossfire with my 4870. whats the 5770 power usage?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
RubxQub said:
I've run into these as well. They always have some type of red text describing some special attribute they have, but they never seem nearly as exceptional as the yellow/orange/dark orange guns.

Seem like common guns with special properties, but not all the perks available to an orange.

The GBX forum calls them "pearl" weapons. They are variously thought of as a hidden rarity, glitched whites that are too good, glitched oranges that aren't good enough, or just plain glitches.

@Practice: Crossfire requires 2 of the same model videocard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
arts&crafts said:
Fair enough, I guess I will just order one. What is the best card I can get for under 100 Canadian? Should I check out tiger direct?
A little over nets you a 4850

MicVlaD said:
I can't think of a valid reason why you should opt for the PS3 version if you already have a PC that can run the game flawlessly or at the very least with a consistent framerate. The performance on consoles is really bad (somewhat depending on the resolution allegedly), if that matters to you.

Well I've been playing the PS3 version for a couple of hours now. Honestly it really is fine. Framerate doesn't bother me as I capped the PC version at 30fps anyways.
Feels better to control and more satisfying to shoot.

RubxQub said:
NOOOOO!

How is it even possible that a helix launcher can be worse than a normal rocket launcher?

If you're aiming downwards, all 3 are going to at least land right next to the person, so all 3 will do their damage in some respect. The damage on helix launchers aren't less than regular launchers, so their damage potential is at worst equal, at best 3 times as good.
And yet they don't, not with any consistency. I use rocket launchers all the time, I'm in the camp that's convinced they're actually proper weapons once you find a good specimen (same can be said about every other type of weapon), but I'm still of the belief that the Helix Launchers are wonky.

- Sometimes only 1 Helix rocket will fully hit its target, whilst the other two will regularly touch the floor either too soon or too late (usually delivering hardly any damage as a result).
- Sometimes the splash damage doesn't even seem to work after they detonate right next to someone. Especially apparent against enemies behind cover. No, I didn't hit said cover.
- Sometimes one of 'em will blow up in my face 'cause it collided with my cover. Sometimes it won't, even if I didn't take a step back.

Downsides that I think only exist thanks to the twirling trajectory. I'd rather stick with a plain one-shot-at-a-time rocket launcher (whether or not its cartridge can only hold one missile) and not deal with those flaws, as well as having a more versatile model at the same time that isn't garbage at mid- or long-range.

funkmastergeneral said:
I recall in my first run through there was actually a quest to go up and talk to that guy, which seems to be the case since he's not offering me anything. Just don't know how to get that one

Hmm I don't think I had an indicator for him, I just ran up and talked to him but you tried it anyway and it still didn't work eh? I can think of a few other guys that give quests that you didn't mention, but they don't lead to other stuff I don't think, just stand alone quests. Besides the guy on the rocking chair near fyrestone, there's another guy, the one that gave you the quest to go the safehouse that gives more quests. I remember I missed the one where he has you shoot the Rakk crap off a fan and I was wondering how I didn't get the achievement. He's in the little hut close to the vending machines right next to Arill Hills. Not sure if I spelt the first word right. If you're coming out of fyrestone, you'd turn right and drive down that road all the way as far as it goes before forcing you to turn left I believe. There's also Scooter, the guy sitting behind that outside counter in New Haven right beside the new-u station.

RubxQub

MicVlaD said:
And yet they don't, not with any consistency. I use rocket launchers all the time, I'm in the camp that's convinced they're actually proper weapons once you find a good specimen (same can be said about every other type of weapon), but I'm still of the belief that the Helix Launchers are wonky.

- Sometimes only 1 Helix rocket will fully hit its target, whilst the other two will regularly touch the floor either too soon or too late (usually delivering hardly any damage as a result).
- Sometimes the splash damage doesn't even seem to work after they detonate right next to someone. Especially apparent against enemies behind cover. No, I didn't hit said cover.
- Sometimes one of 'em will blow up in my face 'cause it collided with my cover. Sometimes it won't, even if I didn't take a step back.

Downsides that I think only exist thanks to the twirling trajectory. I'd rather stick with a plain one-shot-at-a-time rocket launcher and not deal with those flaws, as well as having a more versatile model at the same time that isn't garbage at mid- or long-range.
But again, helix launchers deal the same damage as regular launchers, only x 3.

Even if only 1 rocket is hitting, it's equally as good as the normal launcher. They don't use more ammo, and once you get used to the helix shape and how to consistently hit people, I can't ever imagine going back.

RubxQub

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I've never seen someone so furiously defend something so objectively terrible.
I just want to spread right in a sea of wrong. :(
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Alright, I'm just trying to bug you at this point
It's all good, I'm sure I'm coming across as annoying as well.

I should just let it go, but I have issues with that. :p

TransTrender

Gold Member
Am I doing something wrong with my soldier?

When I'm playing with my friends in a 4 man group I have a support build where I'm usually healing and regening the whole time and doing some damage. Works great.

However in single player (second play through) with a combat rifle build I don't do enough damage. I think I'm level 37 and I have some mid 20's legendary combat rifles that are pretty terrible overall. Their clip size is 35 without talents and their damage is near 120, accuracy is in the 60's with fire rate around 10.

I tried farming New Haven on my first Play through but I never got a single good CR. I get TONS of excellent 500-600dmg sniper rifles and 300-400 dmg revolvers but the combat rifles are pure piss. It seems like the game is telling me I'm doing it wrong because finding a good combat rifle is nearly impossible. I also tried farming a chest in Arid Badlands on my Second Playthrough but I keep getting excellent sniper rifles and revolvers and crap for combat rifles.

Am I just forced to roll a hunter if I want to play single player through the second and third playthrough?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Helix launchers do typically have lower base damage than regular because of the x3. But I haven't tried them side by side to compare effectiveness anyway.

RubxQub said:

Even if only 1 rocket is hitting, it's equally as good as the normal launcher. They don't use more ammo, and once you get used to the helix shape and how to consistently hit people, I can't ever imagine going back.

I have both a Helix that does 500-something x3 and a regular launcher that does 1000-ish, but aside from that they have similar stats. I've noticed that the regular launcher is more reliable than the helix.

RubxQub said:

Most of the time, Helix rocket launchers have lower base damage precisely because of the added multiplier even when they're at the same level. Much like how these two rocket launchers differ from one another damage wise because one has a bigger ammo clip:

a1oadl.png
mlo494.png

Not that these are the best examples because they're Legendaries with unique abilities, but it gets the idea across.

Killdozer said:
Am I doing something wrong with my soldier?

When I'm playing with my friends in a 4 man group I have a support build where I'm usually healing and regening the whole time and doing some damage. Works great.

However in single player (second play through) with a combat rifle build I don't do enough damage. I think I'm level 37 and I have some mid 20's legendary combat rifles that are pretty terrible overall. Their clip size is 35 without talents and their damage is near 120, accuracy is in the 60's with fire rate around 10.

I tried farming New Haven on my first Play through but I never got a single good CR. I get TONS of excellent 500-600dmg sniper rifles and 300-400 dmg revolvers but the combat rifles are pure piss. It seems like the game is telling me I'm doing it wrong because finding a good combat rifle is nearly impossible. I also tried farming a chest in Arid Badlands on my Second Playthrough but I keep getting excellent sniper rifles and revolvers and crap for combat rifles.
Might want to try co-op, whether or not you select the second playthrough. The loot that gets dropped usually becomes more varied if more players are involved, preferably each with a different character.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Killdozer said:

Am I just forced to roll a hunter if I want to play single player through the second and third playthrough?
Playing through as soldier and I feel the same way. I usually end up using a revolver/shotgun/sniper rifle. Occasionally I'll use a SMG if it has a high rate of fire/reload speed. But the combat rifles seem, "meh."

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Killdozer said:
No 3rd playthrough. When you hit 50 everything is 48-51 though.

I would give you my awesome MG (Level 28, Glorious Havoc), but I gave it to someone else

112, 88.8, 12.1
Mag of 72

Man that was one awesome gun. Didn't find a better one until level 50.

*That Launcher is insane

Blizzard

Banned
Hawkian said:
5-10 seconds isn't okay with you? Seems like every time you mention a load time it has gone down a couple seconds :lol
Well I was literally getting 10-15 load times in some places, and you were claiming it was a second or less for you. :p And with a 7200 rpm drive that shouldn't be happening for me. It may be faster now, or it may just be that I'm hosting.

Anyway, as long as 5-10 is normal and Hawkian doesn't have magic 1-second loads, I'm good. The friends list finally works now that I am using my new crazy account. Even verifying the old one didn't help, I had to use the totally new email. The name should be GAFBlizzard, but you'll have to re-add me.

Firestorm

arts&crafts said:
This is about $120:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...=OTC-sho6b0tCA-_-Video+Cards-_-XFX-_-14150369
Price Match them at NCIX for best results I think: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=38626&vpn=HD477AYDFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1120

If your budget is pretty strict on that $100:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...Pr1c3canadaCA-_-Video+Cards-_-EVGA-_-14130518
Price Match at NCIX: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=34749&vpn=512-P3-N973-TR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1120

If you live in the lower mainland of BC, price mach at NCIX and pick it up. If you don't, you'll price match at NCIX for shipping, but you will not pay any PST.

Blizzard

Banned
*reads rest of thread* Yeah, 5-10 seconds is fine, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't "supposed" to be 1 second.

About rocket launchers, I spent forever taking down a lone badass bruiser last night (he had some sort of auto-aim flaming rocket launcher) which turned out to be a mediocre/normal double-clip rocket launcher. Unfortunately I lost that weapon along with my experience when I killed the game by accident.

Today I got a helix rocket launcher with decent damage and a 3 clip, so I can finally pull it out when I want to goof off. I gave someone else the first alien weapon I found, which fired a giant pink ball of energy really slowly. I assume I can always just do that boss fight again? Side note, if I want to fight Mad Mel again, how do I get him to respawn?

I got a primal masher, which does something ludicrous like 9x101 if you hit with all the shots (I've done like 1900 damage with it on a critical at level 23-24), but only has two shots in the clip. SO ANNOYING. :lol I also liked that one pistol I got had a little screen-looking scope instead of the normal scope.

DeadGzuz

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Well I've been playing the PS3 version for a couple of hours now. Honestly it really is fine. Framerate doesn't bother me as I capped the PC version at 30fps anyways.
Feels better to control and more satisfying to shoot.

I started my copy last night, looks and runs great.

Top Bottom