• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

So I just got to the vault.

And I beat the destroyer. wtf? I didn't even move while fighting him. I just stood there and unloaded on him. took like, 10 seconds. What a fucking disappointment. I turned in the vault key to Tanis, but what do I do now? How do I start my new Game+?

SundaySounds said:
So I just got to the vault.

And I beat the destroyer. wtf? I didn't even move while fighting him. I just stood there and unloaded on him. took like, 10 seconds. What a fucking disappointment. I turned in the vault key to Tanis, but what do I do now? How do I start my new Game+?
Quit out and when you select new game for that character, it'll give you the option for Playthrough 2.

Philthy

I loved playing my Siren, but my biggest gripe was that I love SMGs and I would literally chew through ammo like no ones business. I happened to look at one of the stores and a Siren class mod was available: 40% Extra SMG Damage, two other stat increases I forget which, and +5 SMG Ammo Regen! I sold almost everything I had to get it.

I'm never out of ammo now, and this game just went from awesome to super awesome rad.

Cahill

Banned
Philthy said:
I loved playing my Siren, but my biggest gripe was that I love SMGs and I would literally chew through ammo like no ones business. I happened to look at one of the stores and a Siren class mod was available: 40% Extra SMG Damage, two other stat increases I forget which, and +5 SMG Ammo Regen!

I'm never out of ammo now, and this game just went from awesome to super awesome rad.

They get higher too. I have a 52% dmg, 2 other stats w/+16 ammo regen on my Siren.

Firestorm

Philthy said:
I loved playing my Siren, but my biggest gripe was that I love SMGs and I would literally chew through ammo like no ones business. I happened to look at one of the stores and a Siren class mod was available: 40% Extra SMG Damage, two other stat increases I forget which, and +5 SMG Ammo Regen! I sold almost everything I had to get it.

My soldier friend has +10 team ammo regen. so goood

Firestorm said:
This is about $120:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...=OTC-sho6b0tCA-_-Video+Cards-_-XFX-_-14150369
Price Match them at NCIX for best results I think: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=38626&vpn=HD477AYDFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1120

If your budget is pretty strict on that $100:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...Pr1c3canadaCA-_-Video+Cards-_-EVGA-_-14130518
Price Match at NCIX: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=34749&vpn=512-P3-N973-TR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1120

If you live in the lower mainland of BC, price mach at NCIX and pick it up. If you don't, you'll price match at NCIX for shipping, but you will not pay any PST.

Thanks a lot, I will pick up one of these depending on how much money I can spend.

Blizzard

Banned
Firestorm said:
My soldier friend has +10 team ammo regen. so goood
Does ammo regen regenerate ammo so you don't have to reload, or just keep your reserves full? It must be pretty trivial to just edit a .ini to give yourself and everyone playing on your server infinite ammo...I played on one once already. :(

Firestorm

arts&crafts said:
Thanks a lot, I will pick up one of these depending on how much money I can spend.
Make sure you have room for the 4770 if you go with that. It seems to take up the space of two PCI ports.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Blizzard said:
Does ammo regen regenerate ammo so you don't have to reload, or just keep your reserves full? It must be pretty trivial to just edit a .ini to give yourself and everyone playing on your server infinite ammo...I played on one once already. :(
Hacking is for idiots. Ammo regeneration replenishes the ammo you have to reload, not the ammo on the gun itself.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MicVlaD said:
Most of the time, Helix rocket launchers have lower base damage precisely because of the added multiplier even when they're at the same level. Much like how these two rocket launchers differ from one another damage wise because one has a bigger ammo clip:

a1oadl.png
mlo494.png

Not that these are the best examples because they're Legendaries with unique abilities, but it gets the idea across.

Might want to try co-op, whether or not you select the second playthrough. The loot that gets dropped usually becomes more varied if more players are involved, preferably each with a different character.
Different manufacturers and the top gun has a damage mod on it.

In general I've found that helix rockets don't really have lower base damage, but lose a secondary feature in place of the x3...so it may not have a zoom scope or something...but I hardly need one. No scoping is where it's at.

Feindflug said:
Ι still haven't played Borderlands on my set (Samsung 40F86) but I've seen RE5 on 3 different HDTV's at 1080p and the tearing was horrible in all 3 sets...in fact this is maybe a strange bug of the MT Framework (also stated at an article at digitalfoundry) as all games based on that engine on resolutions higher than 720p are plagued with tearing.
I believe so. Dead Rising and RE5 have really bad screen-tearing for me at 1080p, I had to change to 720p to play those 2.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:
Rockets hit multiple people when fired, so your damage potential increased the closer people are together.

Rocket launchers that don't shoot a 3-rocket helix suck (not 3 rockets in a row, a triple twirling rocket for 1 ammo, not 3).

Rocket launchers that don't do elemental damage (fire or corrosive recommended) suck.

Rocket launchers that shoot slowly suck.

Rocket launchers that have a clip size of 1 suck.

My rocket launcher does 1000+ damage x 3 (for the price of one rocket), hitting everyone in the area with corrosive damage with a fire rate of 1.0, reloads quickly and has a 3 clip.

A sniper rifle requires pinpoint accuracy to do damage, a rocket you can fire and just hit close to do near full damage.

Rocket haters really need to find good rocket launchers.

...granted, this is coming from someone who mains a Brick...but even then, the abilities given to the Brick don't dramatically make rockets any better.
RubxQub said:
Nah, you're just doing it wrong.

Jump in the air and shoot down at your targets to maximize damage, as if you shoot straight on you can either miss completely or hit the ground in front of them yielding no damage at all.

The area of effect works on non-elemental rockets as well.
So the vast majority of rocket launchers suck and I would have to spend a lot of extra time running around finding one that fits certain criteria just to have them be decent, and once I do I have to jump around and use the rocket launcher differently than I do in basically every other FPS I've ever played?

You're right, I can't imagine why everyone is always trashing them. :D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I just hit level 31 yesterday with my hunter and kind of want to respec into a Gunslinger to try it out. Any tips on a good build for my level? I previously had pumped 7 or 8 points into whatever the leftmost part of the skill tree is and the rest into the bloodwing section.

My initial thought is to put 5 points into the accuracy skill on the far left, enough into Bloodwing so that it can hit multiple targets, and the rest into Gunslinger. However, though I know Bloodwing gets pretty ridiculous late in the game, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have more fun leaving that part of the tree mostly alone and just cranking up the gun abilities. A loadout of pistols and sniper rifles would be pretty fun.

How does the respec-ing cost work, anyway? Does it increase the more times you do it (like in Titan Quest), is cost based on level, or is it something else?

Monroeski said:
So the vast majority of rocket launchers suck and I would have to spend a lot of extra time running around finding one that fits certain criteria just to have them be decent, and once I do I have to jump around and use the rocket launcher differently than I do in basically every other FPS I've ever played?

haha, so true.

Monroeski said:
I just hit level 31 yesterday with my hunter and kind of want to respec into a Gunslinger to try it out. Any tips on a good build for my level? I previously had pumped 7 or 8 points into whatever the leftmost part of the skill tree is and the rest into the bloodwing section.

My initial thought is to put 5 points into the accuracy skill on the far left, enough into Bloodwing so that it can hit multiple targets, and the rest into Gunslinger. However, though I know Bloodwing gets pretty ridiculous late in the game, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have more fun leaving that part of the tree mostly alone and just cranking up the gun abilities. A loadout of pistols and sniper rifles would be pretty fun.

Try full gunslinger. It is amazing. I'm 35, going with this so far:

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11500500000000000505055

RubxQub

Monroeski said:

Not my fault everyone else is lazy!

MicVlaD said:
This is my favorite rocket launcher by far, the further you are from your target, the more rockets it fragments into. If you shoot that at Krom from the end of his map (as soon as you see his cutscene) it'll be about 25 rockets by the time it gets to him. Soooo much awesome.

Gyrfal

Neo Member
Holy shit after beating Playthrough 2. I thought that it would just dump you back into the world and everything would be how it was before, but now all enemies are 49-51? Most weapons at 48 requirement too?

With DLC on the way and this, I'm gonna be playing Borderlands way longer than I initially thought.

RubxQub

Gyrfal said:
Holy shit after beating Playthrough 2. I thought that it would just dump you back into the world and everything would be how it was before, but now all enemies are 49-51? Most weapons at 48 requirement too?

With DLC on the way and this, I'm gonna be playing Borderlands way longer than I initially thought.
Can't wait for DLC.

im sorry but i just got this game and trying to get the hang of it. just trying to understand the weapon stats and discription

so i know that the color from white to orange is the level of rarity of the weapon. but does that mean orange weapons are more powerful then say blue ones?

i also don't understand about the critical damage. so if a gun says +150% critical damage what does it mean?

some guns have a x2 to their base damage of 10. so does that mean it does 20 damage?

thanks

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
macfoshizzle said:
im sorry but i just got this game and trying to get the hang of it. just trying to understand the weapon stats and discription

so i know that the color from white to orange is the level of rarity of the weapon. but does that mean orange weapons are more powerful then say blue ones?

i also don't understand about the critical damage. so if a gun says +150% critical damage what does it mean?

some guns have a x2 to their base damage of 10. so does that mean it does 20 damage?

thanks

i have generally the same questions about weapons. i'm overwhelmed by the number of them. do you guys just pick a couple different kinds of weapons and stick with those? and are, say, green font weapons better than white font weapons? there are so many stats to keep track of on everything.

I've only been playing single-player but goddamn I'm loving this game. Leveling and looting is extremely satisfying, and the art style is just gorgeous. I wish more games would take a chance with their rendering style like this!

I also have a question about the weapon stats, is there a good breakdown somewhere about how to read & tally them?

macfoshizzle said:

At the same level the orange text weapon should be more powerful.

base damage + (base damage x 150%) = total damage

thanks

That means it fires twice for every trigger pull. With shotguns and mashers, that means x7 will fire 7 pellets at whatever the damage is at the cost of one ammo. With repeaters and SMG, x2 will fire two bullets at the same time at the cost of two bullets.

EDIT: i lost track of my quotes

RubxQub

macfoshizzle said:

thanks
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

Weapons that do damage of DMG x # mean that they shoot multiple rounds. These rounds aren't all guarenteed to hit the enemy, so just because the weapon is rated at 10 x 2 doesn't mean that it does 20 damage, it means that if both rounds hit, it will do 20 damage.

RubxQub

beelzebozo said:
i have generally the same questions about weapons. i'm overwhelmed by the number of them. do you guys just pick a couple different kinds of weapons and stick with those? and are, say, green font weapons better than white font weapons? there are so many stats to keep track of on everything.
It's really what's important to you and your playstyle.

You'll likely find yourself leaning towards specific types of weapons, and specific types of stats on those weapons.

macfoshizzle said:

thanks
Colour indicates rarity. The rarer guns TEND to be better than the less rare, but it's still entirely possible that a lower tiered gun could be better. You just have to independently compare the stats.

A critical hit occurs when you hit an enemy's weak spot (skag mouths, bandit heads). A critical hit is worth a great deal more damage than a regular hit. That modifier increases that critical hit damage by an extra 150%.

x2 means it shoots two bullet simultaneously. So a 10 x2 shoots two separate bullets with a damage rating of 10 each. You are doing 20 damage per shot IF both bullets hit.

ravien56 said:
I'm a level 20 soldier with 2 questions.
1. Anybody know some good builds for him?
2. How the fuck do I kill mattrokk?

Find a class mod that gives you ammo regen. That should be your first priority.

Spec like this:
http://downloads.2kgames.com/borderlands/website/skilltree/roland/#01550050000000000000000

Add an artifact to your turret. If you have fire, that's great. If not, don't worry just use anything you have.

2. Don't fight enemies too many levels above you. I think Mattrokk is level 25? Just come back to it later.

practice02 said:
I want to slap one of those into my rig and crossfire with my 4870. whats the 5770 power usage?

Don't hold me to this because I cant find the link right now, but when I was looking to get the card, I read that it runs at 150w. I just remember reading someone said 350w could work with it so I bought it. Not sure what would happend otherwise? i would just burn out hte psu alot faster right?

This game has my head spinning, there's a shit load of weapons, dudes everywhere, I no idea what area Im in, I just coop'ed with a couple of people now I have like 50 missions in the inbox that I cat do yet, the game is all over the place, something is missing or I'm getting old, I think its the latter.

edit: ill keep pushing on though.

g0atcheese

Neo Member
dreamer3kx said:
This game has my head spinning, there's a shit load of weapons, dudes everywhere, I no idea what area Im in, I just coop'ed with a couple of people now I have like 50 missions in the inbox that I cat do yet, the game is all over the place, something is missing or I'm getting old, I think its the latter.

old.

UFRA

Lakedaimon said:
if you have any points in the Stockpile skill in the Support tree (being near your turret gives ammo regen) then while wearing your mod it will be one better. So if you had 5 points in Stockpile, then you would get the effect of having 6 points in stockpile.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks! ;)

Ding

dreamer3kx said:
I think you might just be doing it wrong, because I'm undoubtedly older than you. :D

It might be a bit boring and traditional, but I'd start at the beginning and do stuff more or less in order. I don't know why you'd want to pal around with dudes that are leveled much higher than you. That just causes...
  • ...you to level up really fast. That sounds great, but it just shortens the game and, IMO, cheapens the progression.
  • ...things that are later in the game to be "spoiled" for you. I guess the game is pretty plot-less, but still, playing it in random order can't be helping. Save that until you've beaten the game in order at least once.
  • ...all the enemies to be OMG dangerous to you. (Because they are leveled to be appropriate challenges to your beefy compatriots.)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ding said:
I think you might just be doing it wrong, because I'm undoubtedly older than you. :D

It might be a bit boring and traditional, but I'd start at the beginning and do stuff more or less in order. I don't know why you'd want to pal around with dudes that are leveled much higher than you. That just causes...
  • ...you to level up really fast. That sounds great, but it just shortens the game and, IMO, cheapens the progression.
  • ...things that are later in the game to be "spoiled" for you. I guess the game is pretty plot-less, but still, playing it in random order can't be helping. Save that until you've beaten the game in order at least once.
  • ...all the enemies to be OMG dangerous to you. (Because they are leveled to be appropriate challenges to your beefy compatriots.)

totally agree. it's like in a game with a delicate economy balance like RE4, if you suddenly have an unlimited budget, the game is just significantly less fun.

limits and boundaries are good.

jabipun

2nd playthrough is so fun.

I wish it didn't have a cap at 50. Maybe a soft-cap so you stop getting skill points, but still let you level up to continue getting more and more powerful loot.

_bluemoon

ravien56 said:
I'm a level 20 soldier with 2 questions.
2. How the fuck do I kill mattrokk?

You mean Mothrakk, that giant flying bitch of a creature? There's a shelter nearby, with a bunch of ammo cases and stuff, near the entrance to the mines I think. Lure it there and use the shelter as cover for the OH MY GOD FLAMING RAIN OF DEATH ARGHHHHH!!!! Even still, at level 20 it's gonna take a while. It has a fair chunk of health.

Top Bottom