• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Davidion

Firestorm said:
I wouldn't put 5 points into mind games. you only really need 10% per bullet.

That's why I didn't put any into it. :lol

I didn't really find any of the final skills appealing enough to dump points into. Might have to respec radiance and spread that out around as needed, but that's about it.

Also, I've been enjoying Ain't No Rest for the Wicked, the intro theme song. Whoever designed the intro did a pretty good job...except for the godawful character presentations.

Shame they didn't integrate a little more music into this game, poor decision, imo.

bryehn

I'm just getting into the PS3 version and I can't seem to bring up the challenge list. Is this a known error or do I have to wait to see it? I'm at level 7 or 8 I think.

Unicorn

bryehn said:
I'm just getting into the PS3 version and I can't seem to bring up the challenge list. Is this a known error or do I have to wait to see it? I'm at level 7 or 8 I think.
On quest screen press triangle(?). It's Y on 360.

Firestorm

Davidion said:
That's why I didn't put any into it. :lol

I didn't really find any of the final skills appealing enough to dump points into. Might have to respec radiance and spread that out around as needed, but that's about it.

Also, I've been enjoying Ain't No Rest for the Wicked, the intro theme song. Whoever designed the intro did a pretty good job...except for the godawful character presentations.

Shame they didn't integrate a little more music into this game, poor decision, imo.
Mind Games and Phoenix are amazing. You definitely should try them.

Denzar

I took me a while to find it too, but it's triangle in the quest menu...

Also, played a good lot of 4 player co-op today and damn, the framerate is downright horrible.

Firestorm said:
I wouldn't put 5 points into mind games. you only really need 10% per bullet.

I disagree. Well, I suppose it depends on what level you are. If you're fighting mobs well above your level, having 2/5 in Mind Games probably won't work very well.

I dunno, I just capped my character and no longer have the desire to play. Some games should not have such low level caps (especially loot whoring games). I understand that having a maxed skill tree may break the game, but maybe that should be the players choice or scaled closer to Diablo's where it would take forever to max your abilities. Enemies can be scaled.

I played through Diablo II 6 or 7 times because the caps were so high.

Played about 15 minuntes of Zombie Island and wow, this add-on is hilarious! So many great funny lines already and the enviroment looks fantastic! Can't wait to dig into this more.

Zzoram

Annoyingly I have 800 MS points I'll never use that I can't cache out or transfer to my PSN wallet. This looks pretty good.

edgefusion said:
So I take it the add-on is only available for PC and 360? Us poor PS3 gamers have to wait for the monkey on thursday?

No. Ps3 version comes out today too along with Playstation Home Launch. Jakob's Cove or some nonesense.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I disagree. Well, I suppose it depends on what level you are. If you're fighting mobs well above your level, having 2/5 in Mind Games probably won't work very well.

Maybe my play-style is different, but I have a hard time justifying 5 points in Mind Games-- when I've tried it it's seemed like overkill (even at level 50). When I'm shooting at someone I've usually just Phaseblasted to get corrosion on them anyway, in which case 5 points Dramatic Entrance and 1 point Mind Games seems to be a better use of my points. What's the rest of your build like?

MomoPufflet said:
Maybe my play-style is different, but I have a hard time justifying 5 points in Mind Games-- when I've tried it it's seemed like overkill (even at level 50). When I'm shooting at someone I've usually just Phaseblasted to get corrosion on them anyway, in which case 5 points Dramatic Entrance and 1 point Mind Games seems to be a better use of my points. What's the rest of your build like?

Depends on the mod, really. I have gear for pretty good Plaguebearer, Firefly and Merc builds. I change it up depending on where I feel like killing things.

Still on the fence about this purchase. I have about $30 worth of points already on my account, so I won't have to 'pay' anything right now.... but I'm debating whether or not its worth it. Any opinions yet?

desertdroog

Regarding the Dr. Ned Zombie Island DLC:

Do the enemies have different AI than the enemies in the original game? I am hoping they act different as a result of being Zombified.

Has anyone seen any of the new weapons in the DLC? I only played for about 30min and all drops were old and basically garbage (didn't come across the zombies with the chests yet though).

Zzoram

How many areas (and how big?) are included in the DLC? How many new enemy types? Any unique items? How far in the game do you have to be to access this island?

Zzoram said:
How many areas (and how big?) are included in the DLC? How many new enemy types? Any unique items? How far in the game do you have to be to access this island?

It is one new hub with several (3 I think) new areas to access from it and has several new enemy types (zombies are not just simple reskins as far as I can tell as they move very differently from what I saw). There are supposedly new weapons but I haven't seen any yet.

As far as access goes, I think you can only access it from warp (doesn't seem to be an access from a pre-existing area) so at the very least you would have to have made it through Dahl Highland.

Saint10118 said:
800 MS points ($10)

Thanks, I played this game to death taking two characters to 50. I will jump on tonight and see if I still feel like playing, I think I burned myself out though because the game was so much fun . :D

Zzoram

Anerythristic said:
Thanks, I played this game to death taking two characters to 50. I will jump on tonight and see if I still feel like playing, I think I burned myself out though because the game was so much fun . :D

Take a break then come back to it. The MMO/Diablo feel makes the story relatively unimportant so it becomes way easier to just hop in and out of the game.

Unicorn

I really don't understand the outcry for a level increase. I don't want this to be like Oblivion where I can max out all my stats, and I'm still a little upset about people exploiting weapon proficiencies... Also ticked that respec-ing cost so little so there's little investment in a particular save. If you fuck up your character you should either pay out the ass to respec or have to make a new character like Titan Quest or Diablo 2.

Sure you can kill everything easily at 50, but the gear is what you're after. bigger and better guns. As long as the DLC can provide new areas to explore, achievements/trophies, and a few new unique guns... then I'm more than happy to shell out 10 bucks for it.

Really looking forward to Zombie Island to finish downloading and my friend to bring back my copy of Borderlands so I can spend the rest of the day blowing zombies apart with my acid shotgun. Hopefully a couple of my friends will be available so we could co-op.

Saint10118 said:
It is one new hub with several (3 I think) new areas to access from it and has several new enemy types (zombies are not just simple reskins as far as I can tell as they move very differently from what I saw). There are supposedly new weapons but I haven't seen any yet.

As far as access goes, I think you can only access it from warp (doesn't seem to be an access from a pre-existing area) so at the very least you would have to have made it through Dahl Highland.
Actually Randy said that if you made a new character you'd still be able to quick travel there.

Meaning that if you go to a new-U station there will only be one quick-travel point: Zombie Island; so level 1 characters can try their hand at the DLC.

Dunno if the DLC level-scales or not. Interesting to find out once it's done downloading.

Unicorn said:
Dunno if the DLC level-scales or not. Interesting to find out once it's done downloading.

I'm level 50 and they scaled to my level for what its worth.

edit:
bad news about the acid shotgun plans as they undead are apparently immune (some random PSA in the game mentioned it)

steadfast

Unicorn said:
I really don't understand the outcry for a level increase. I don't want this to be like Oblivion where I can max out all my stats, and I'm still a little upset about people exploiting weapon proficiencies... Also ticked that respec-ing cost so little so there's little investment in a particular save. If you fuck up your character you should either pay out the ass to respec or have to make a new character like Titan Quest or Diablo 2.

Sure you can kill everything easily at 50, but the gear is what you're after. bigger and better guns. As long as the DLC can provide new areas to explore, achievements/trophies, and a few new unique guns... then I'm more than happy to shell out 10 bucks for it.

Really looking forward to Zombie Island to finish downloading and my friend to bring back my copy of Borderlands so I can spend the rest of the day blowing zombies apart with my acid shotgun. Hopefully a couple of my friends will be available so we could co-op.

Actually Randy said that if you made a new character you'd still be able to quick travel there.

Meaning that if you go to a new-U station there will only be one quick-travel point: Zombie Island; so level 1 characters can try their hand at the DLC.

Could have sworn I heard an interview with a Borderlands producer that said you had to be level 10 to enter (about the time you reactivate the fast travel network).

Unicorn

Saint10118 said:
bad news about the acid shotgun plans as they undead are apparently immune (some random PSA in the game mentioned it)

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
1204183679596.jpg

I'll just have to KILL THEM WITH FIRE!!!

Seventy5

steadfast said:
Could have sworn I heard an interview with a Borderlands producer that said you had to be level 10 to enter (about the time you reactivate the fast travel network).

The lowest level enemies in the expansion are lvl 10. You can fast travel there with a lvl 1 but you wouldn't live very long.

ghostmind

Weird - I'm playing the DLC as a LVL 50 Berserker, but the enemies are only scaling to LVL 42 or so. Taking them out from one hit (from my best gun no less), but only getting a few XP per.

Amazing atmosphere in this DLC.

ghostmind said:
Weird - I'm playing the DLC as a LVL 50 Berserker, but the enemies are only scaling to LVL 42 or so. Taking them out from one hit (from my best gun no less), but only getting a few XP per.

Did you finish the 2nd playthrough?

chixdiggit

Played about 3 hours of the DLC so far and loving it. Found some good loot but nothing crazy good. Also the DLC has better story and humor than the whole retail game.

If you are looking to level up your character this is the place to do it. The zombies come in swarms and the XP racks up pretty good.

Edit: spelling

Penguin

I have played up to meeting Dr. Ned, and there are some changes.

Zombie characters for the most part seem to be reskinned in some regards, but act differently.

Since they don't carry weapons, normal zombies will run at you making them easy fodder.
There are zombies like the Boomer who will spit up on you, which slows down your movement and can obscure your vision.
Psycho Zombies run at you and will start to attack.
Suicide Zombies will explode after a while.
And miget Zombies will jump up and try and attack you.

Its pretty cool since you can deform part of them and see like a torso crawling over trying to attack you.

I did meet one of the zombies who carries a chance, and had a pretty nice rocket launcher, though think it does less damage than one of the ones already have.

Also it seems to rank up as well.

Deadly

ghostmind said:
Nope, just up to finishing
the Baron Flynt section
. Do I need to finish as 50 to get proper scaling?

By the time you finish Playthrough 2, you'll most likely be level 50. After that there's Playthrough 2.5 where all the enemies are level50.

ghostmind

Deadly said:
By the time you finish Playthrough 2, you'll most likely be level 50. After that there's Playthrough 2.5 where all the enemies are level50.

Oh crap - time to back out and finish the main game again then.

Unicorn

Can't join my friend's game and he can't join mine. I joined a random person's game fine though.

Also, I can't join his party, even when we're both on the dashboard. Is anyone having this problem as well?

Just finished the DLC, main story and all side quests, was really funny and I enjoyed it. Only problem I have is what is up with
zombie brains you get, is there another quest somewhere that I have to do to turn those in or what?

ttocs

The DLC, Zombie Island or whatever, is there a certain level you have to be to go do it or can you begin the quests at any time? Wondering if I should hold off until I'm high enough or pick it up tonight.

Unicorn

ttocs said:
The DLC, Zombie Island or whatever, is there a certain level you have to be to go do it or can you begin the quests at any time? Wondering if I should hold off until I'm high enough or pick it up tonight.
It scales. It's been answered within 20 posts of yours. Jeez.

Top Bottom