• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Jinaar

The writing / voice acting alone is worth the 800 space moose bucks for this. Let alone the amazing scenery, pulse pounding enemies and more phat loots. 110% full of win.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Rubezh said:
I'm really not sure if I want to buy this if it's just going to be another area with no new loot or levels. I'm hoping that it'll come out on the Steam DLC store and not something like GfWL.

GFWL doesn't seem likely at all...

People at level 50 complaining about enemies not scaling or being able to kill stuff in one hit... you're on playthrough 2.5, right?

ObiDin

I played the DLC with two of my characters last night. With my level 39 Soldier on playthrough 2, it was almost impossible as the zombies were all level 42 and I didn't have a weapon that could do enough damage fast enough to reduce the numbers in the horde.

I also played with my level 26 Siren, playthrough 1 of course, and it was much more fun as the zombies were all the same level and my 132x7 shottie made for 1-2 hit kills and it's 2 ammo clip size helped make it tense with constant reloading.

Dr. Ned is pretty hilarious and the story is fun.

Played Zombie Island for about 3 hours with my other level 50, playthrough 2.5 friend. Here's my take:

Good:

-atmosphere is literally perfect. they really nailed this
-level design is great
-characters are great
-setting is hugely different from the main game which I wholeheartedly support (I hope all the DLC has a different theme)
-great story, great intro-- I want to see more cutscenes like this (never thought I'd actually say that)

Bad:

-extremely sparse enemies
-too easy aside from Dead Haven so far
-almost zero loot chests....
-no new loot (????)
-generally unexciting firefights aside from a few with multiple barrel-bombers in Dead Haven. I'm actually fine with the enemies being easy, but there needs to be at least 2-3 times as many of them. swarm me!

Was it worth $10? Yes. But I am very disappointed that the loot aspect seems to have been almost totally ignored. That's the whole point of the game! Especially endgame, which is what the majority of people buying this are going to be wanting. I hope the next expansion pack has a better focus on new rares, named rares, loot chests, etc. Overall though I have had a blast with Zombie Island and I do not regret purchasing it at all.

Seventy5

nixon said:
I had quite a few people join my lobby but no one entered the game. I'm assuming they were prompted that they didn't have the dlc.
I'm on PS3, played a tiny bit of the DLC solo last night before going to bed. I'm pretty much over MW2 (wish I had saved that $60) so I'll be playing quite a bit of BL if you guys want to add me.

ahimothZero

Neo Member
For those on the fence about buying the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned... here's some info [or opinion rather].

Played with a level 50 Soldier. 5 hours into DLC.

What I Liked:

-The Quirkiness and humor of this DLC really stands out. From the intro straight through there are quite a few hilarious moments.
-As others have said, the atmosphere is absolutely amazing.
-Level design is interesting, although there is no fast travel inside the whole of the island, so there will be some trudging back and forth [so remember to gather all the quests as they are available]
-I hate to say it, but the story is better than the entire story of the original borderlands, and is actually cohesive.
-bosses are pretty spectacular so far [if a little bugged].
-some very suspenseful and exciting fights, after one fight, it took me about 10 minutes to "clean up" the ground, with two trips to the vending machines.

Undecided:

-Respawn rate seems uncharacteristically high.
-I feel like this is a month late. Very heavy on the halloween vibe... not to say it isn't well done... just would have been fantastic released in late October.

Disappointed:

-If you're careful the enemies are super easy to pick apart [even some bosses]... if you're not you can get swarmed easily... but then it becomes super easy again cause its so easy to take out an enemy to get a second wind... there really doesn't appear to be much middle ground...
-also, I haven't had an issue with frame rate through the entire original borderlands, but on the island, with spitter's and grenades and turrets, the slow down can be downright terrible...
-Some enemies are simply skinned, behavior is predictable with few exceptions [midgets].
-had a few buggy AI moments... I was on top of a building [unreachable by stair] surrounded by zombies that couldn't get to me picking them off, and a barrel bomber literally flew about 50 feet in the air [running] and landed on me... happened twice...
-boss AI also buggy, tried to "kite" a boss towards some buildings for cover, at one point he stopped everything, standing there taking crits to the face, less than 20 yards from me... I stopped shooting and we stood there staring at each other... making an otherwise difficult and suspenseful fight kind of meh...
-there are a couple places that look like you should be able to traverse [both in-game and on the map] where you actually die as soon as you step foot into... no real indication of this either... just an immediate tunnel of light and a hefty price tag...

My biggest complaint:

-As far as loot, I've seen three "red" chests, three "white" the entire 5 hours [containing mostly greens, and 3 purples]. Every single gun, shield, and grenade mod on the ground, in chests or in vending machines, hasn't been anything new. As far as I can tell, no new parts, no new named weapons [no new red text], nada. The promise of new loot was one of, if not THE biggest reason for getting the DLC, as at level 50, you can only farm New Haven and Crimson Fastness so many times before starting to pick up very similar high-end weapons... Even the quest items you get are lesser versions of shields/guns you may already have from loot runs... so as far as the promise of new loot, its either completely unoticeable, or not there at all, either way I can't tell... but at this point I have replaced exactly zero guns in my inventory...

Recommendation:

For $10, its a decent purchase for your pre-50 alts... it would've been more worth it to get the XP for quests and kills... and at least you would have a better chance of finding better weapons for your character. For anyone playing post 50... its really just a funny scenic meet-and-greet tour of the island with no real rewards for doing so...

Jinaar

Quoted from above: " -there are a couple places that look like you should be able to traverse [both in-game and on the map] where you actually die as soon as you step foot into... no real indication of this either... just an immediate tunnel of light and a hefty price tag... "

This is the truth, friend tried to get to a boat by taking a short cut..... cost him 1.5million.

Other wise still absolutely <3 this DLC! Has problems, but damn me, I couldn't careless. The sum is greater >

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
BenjaminBirdie said:
What does "kite" mean? I've seen this a lot lately.

Kiting is shooting an enemy as you run away, usually while the enemy is slowed or is affected by a debuff such as Lilith's enemy accuracy down talent, in order to avoid taking damage yourself.

It comes from you know, actually flying a kite, where you run and the kite in the air follows you. :p

Zzoram

Nobody on PSN has a mic. It's usually not too bad, people tend to follow the person that takes charge, but it feels a little weird playing with people but having no way to communicate. I revived someone and he sent me a PSN message saying thanks which I had to open up the XMB to read.

ahimothZero

Neo Member
Jinaar said:
Quoted from above: " -there are a couple places that look like you should be able to traverse [both in-game and on the map] where you actually die as soon as you step foot into... no real indication of this either... just an immediate tunnel of light and a hefty price tag... "

This is the truth, friend tried to get to a boat by taking a short cut..... cost him 1.5million.
>

yeah... cost me $9.4 million... which stings a little, and makes me feel a little dumb to boot...

The DLC... Amazing.

Agree wholeheartedly with the Halloween-out-of-place comments. No new loot and no raised level cap sucks, and after awhile my buddy and I didn't even get excited when we saw the weapon crates because we expected nothing out of them (which we were right).

The Braaaaaaaaaaaains achievement was fun at first, then just felt like World of Warcraft (grinding). Except for "Green" items everywhere which got annoying (story and weapon items became hard to differentiate).

However, this was a VERY fun experience that sucked my Tuesday night away. Got 1 good Revolver out of it all:

Damage: 198*7
Accuracy: 79
Fire Rate: 1.8
Clip: 2 (with Soldier upgrades, 4. teehee)
Scope: 4.1 zoom
150% Critical

That was the critical hit master for me for certain story items. I love that pistol so much now.

Also, the DLC that SHOULD have been released should have been Holiday-themed, not Halloween themed.

For example:
- Skags have antlers (reindeer)
- Skag boss has a red nose
- Midgets are elves
- Snowman boss
- Evil fat Santa Clause Badass guys who throw exploding presents
- Snow environment
- Toys coming to life
- Etc.

The possibilities would have been awesome and appropriate for this release date. Any other ideas you guys have? It needs to happen and be released in the next 2 weeks. lol.

Pctx

Banned
Really loving it. Better for lower tiered players to level up on though but this is the type of DLC I hope Gearbox keeps shooting for (no pun) in the next coming releases.

eXistor

I love Borderlands but the DLC was disappointing to me. For one it was way too short and it was insultingly easy. The quests were more of the same as the main game and I felt cheated out of Dead Haven which was just Old Haven in a different color and flipped around. The main areas were cool looking but I don't think they did anything worthwhile with it. The story and humor was better than the maingame though.

Oh and the BRAAAAINS quests are fucking stupid. I was collecting those effing zombie brains from the beginning, thinking I was gonna need them later. Problem is I only got the quests after finishing the storyline and all those brains you picked up earlier don't count...that's the point where I quit and I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna start it up again.

I just ordered it from Amazon after the price went down to $44. I was weary of Gearbox thanks to their latest shitty and long-delayed Brothers in Arms installment but this game is just getting way too much praise to ignore it.

Grecco

I finished hte DLC today. Just have the Brains quest to get.

Awesome. Yes its short, yes theres no level cap extension, yes its a little bit easy if you are level 50

but the writing is hilarious and the whole thing is just so good that its worth it anyways.

Pctx

Banned
polyh3dron said:
I just ordered it from Amazon after the price went down to $44. I was weary of Gearbox thanks to their latest shitty and long-delayed Brothers in Arms installment but this game is just getting way too much praise to ignore it.
Gearbox let me down with their much hyped but under-delivered BiA game but boy this one delivers on the fun! :D

jabipun

I was really impressed with the DLC. - DLC SPOILERS

Moreso, since my character was at level 46 - and playing through the DLC my character ended at level 49 (almost at 50). (second playthru).

Loved the atmosphere, the art design, the humor. I also think the story had more impact, and was more cohesive than the story of the main game. There were interesting twists, lead ups, and a satisfying conclusion. The echo tapes were also interesting to listen to.

It really seemed as if the devs wanted to have fun making this DLC. The
'fake
credits' - the "kill
Ned
again" bits - a lot of humor and fun.

BUT ONE FUCKING PROBLEM.

The games needs more interior levels/areas.

The build up to generally hospital was great - you see this massive / dracula esque / haunted house building and you're thinking, I have to go in there and find the
antidote.
Nope, you can't enter the building and the
antidote
is in a
dumpster
outside....really gearbox? really?

Outside, outside, and more outside with large environments gets repetitive. I really wish they had more inside environments, and the gothic haloween vibe would have made some great "haunted-house" like interiors.

Blizzard

Banned
Another mark against GearBox, kinda, even if unintentional: Apparently people got the map editor work, but it doesn't work on the Steam version at all. Oh well!

I think they had to hex edit the .exe though, so MAYBE it's possible with Steam, I dunno. The .exes are different so the offsets wouldn't be the same.

Hammer24

Banned
HALP!

started BL recently and now I´m kinda stuck. I can´t manage to bring down Sledge. Tried several ways and spent about all of my money on the vending machines doing so.
Any hints or tips how to bring him down?

ghostmind

OK, this Braaaaaaaaaaaains achievement is bullshit. I know everyone has been making the MMO comparison, but really Gearbox, really?

Hammer24 said:
HALP!

started BL recently and now I´m kinda stuck. I can´t manage to bring down Sledge. Tried several ways and spent about all of my money on the vending machines doing so.

do a couple of quests and level up 1-2 levels.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hammer24 said:
HALP!

I just beat him but barely. I had an electric gun or whatever to take down his shields really fast and then proceeded to shoot him in the head while taking care of the annoying helpers. Get an elemental weapon to drain his health faster. I had one of those explode on contact guns.

He's not that hard, it's just his shield and minions makes the fight harder than it should be. Take care of those two and it's smooth sailing.

Hammer24 said:
HALP!

If you really can't do it after spending all of your money you're probably under leveled. Just go do some other missions and gain a level or two and come back and try him again. Having an electric gun also helps for taking down his shield.

Teknoman

Scrow said:
prepare to go through lots of pain trying to create matches with friends!

worst matchmaking/pre-game lobby i've ever used.

once you actually get into the game it's fun enough, but you are so frustrated with the game by then it takes away a lot of the fun.

Did the patch actually fix the whole port forwarding required issue? Im not sure since I fixed that near release.

legend166

I finally finished the PC version.

I don't know why the game turned into Halo for that last section. Seemed weird. Those flying alien monsters were more annoying than anything.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and got 20 odd hours out of it, but I'll doubt I'll touch it again any time soon.

McLovin

I just finished the game.. I stopped playing it after a few hours in but a few days ago I decided to just finish it. I haven't really tried the multiplayer yet but from what I've played I'd rate this game a meh/10. It was mostly an ok game, but I don't like how they presented the story. NPCs are very rigid, they least they could have done is given them more voice acting. I was really annoyed at the end when I was walking around and nobody really had anything to say about the vault or me saving their asses. When I gave that lady the key I was pressed the talk button expecting to get some more info about what just happened.. and what do I get? A talking animation with no voice. This game could have been a solid 8.5 but its a "Meh" for me. Gameplay was great though. I loved getting headshots :D

Finished playthrough 1 as a level 36 hunter. Damn, I felt like a badass in the last stage! And it's all thanks to this baby:
ItemCard00000-1.png

I lost 2 million dollars after dying twice on the final boss :lol: Now I'm on playthrough 2. It's going to get ridiculously hard after I leave the Arid Badlands. I'm already trembling in fear to BadMutha skags. Is it just me or am I leveling way too fast? I feel like I'm gonna hit level 50 before I reach New Haven.

The ending was shit, as expected, and had the longest "thanks to" credits I've ever seen. I think the story's main problem was that
the Guardian Angel was a bitch who never told you anything about the Vault other than "you have to open it" and never caring for your safety. She makes you kill a bunch of bad guys, testing your own survival skills to make sure you're The One, to get all the pieces which just end up being stolen. You're supposed to believe the legend that it's filled with treasure, and only AFTER the monster shows up does she admit she's a liar and that she got you to open the Vault so you can kill it...and that's it. She never really tells you anything about the monster (What's this about dimensions? Is the monster protecting something? What does it have to do with the Erideans?). Basically it feels like Gearbox cut out a whole hour of backstory. I never cared about the log tapes by Tannis which is unfortunate because I thought they were one of the best parts about Fallout 3, and they could have been able to explain all the stuff the Guardian Angel never told you. I hope listening to the tapes again will explain some of the mysteries so maybe I just missed something. And what the fuck was with the Ninja Assassin Claptrap non-sequiter?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm at level 20 and just beat Sledge. I finally came across a magnum type weapon for the first time and I'm loving! One headshot boom with 4x zoom.

Aaron

Kadey said:
I'm at level 20 and just beat Sledge. I finally came across a magnum type weapon for the first time and I'm loving! One headshot boom with 4x zoom.
You're in a good place. The game really opens up from this point on, and once you hit New Haven you'll have more side quests than you know what to do with.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Teknoman said:
Did the patch actually fix the whole port forwarding required issue? Im not sure since I fixed that near release.
not as far as i can see. still need to screw around with that kind of stuff.

Hammer24

Banned
Thanks for the hints, guys.
I have no problem taking Sledge´s shield down - but for some reason I simply chip away to less of his life until he´s able to get me. Oh well..

Finally picked this up after delving into Brutal Legend, Uncharted, MW2, and ACII.

The graphic style is beautiful and I hate to sound cynical, but it's the only thing that's
popped out at me as being unique and inspiring so far but I'm less than 10 hours in.

The gunplay is excellent and I like the random/weird/unique weapons, but I just don't get
a vibe from the game. It feels kinda... generic. Don't get me wrong there's been some funny
shit like the
3 ball
gag with Nine Tails and call me an asshole but the midgets are hilarious. I guess post-apocalyptic little people is something we haven't seen before.

Anyways, I'm really trying to get into the game, but not there yet.
Maybe because I haven't been getting much sleep or perhaps those shitty ass vehicle controls left a sour taste after my last session.

Aaron

Play it with another person (or play as Siren). There's zero story mainly to allow co-op, but there are little touches for those into that sort of thing. It also starts out pretty slow, but opens up the more you progress.

glaurung

Great DLC, I finished the main story quest last night in about three hours. Probably shouldn't have used my level 50 soldier with his high rate turret and my trusty flamethrower SMG pewpew. Even Badass Tankensteins went down like level 2 skag pups.

Liked the new locations, especially the final boss lair; really liked the humor and somewhat new art style on the communication display in the upper right corner. Haven't seen any outstanding new loot drops so far, but the enemies have dropped some nice purples and some yellow stuff (which apparently ranks lower than amber).
Nice reimagining of Old Haven.

The zombie spawn rate is nice, the defiler mucus on the screen is a nice touch.

The frame rate pretty much dies with a lot of action going on. Permanent night. Not enough badass enemies so far.

I will clear the remaining quests this weekend and probably play through it again... Dunno how that works yet though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm really tempted to pick up Zombie Island, but my Borderlands coop buddies are lukewarm on it. We've all got lvl 36 characters, so there is still leveling to be done for us.

Are there any totally new mechanics I could entice my friends with?

Last night I dreamt I was playing Borderlands. I killed a boss and picked up a drop.
It was a grenade modifier drop. It had a cryptic name and a even more cryptic description that I can't remember now.
So I figured I might try it out and threw it at some enemies.
It was a pretty big round ball and it grew as I threw it. It lands in the middle of the group of enemies.
Then the large ball transforms into Samus Aran who starts shooting ah the enemy. End of dream :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
thetrin said:
I'm really tempted to pick up Zombie Island, but my Borderlands coop buddies are lukewarm on it. We've all got lvl 36 characters, so there is still leveling to be done for us.

Are there any totally new mechanics I could entice my friends with?

So? Do the leveling in the island. It matches your level.

web01

Zombie island is ridiculously easy really hard to reccomend.
Played with three mates all using level 20 characters we started just for the DLC. We didnt even have decent guns or shields as we quickly lvled them up in 15 mins with our lvl 50 characters.

For some stupid reaon the game made the enemies around 4 - 7 levels lower than us so it was a complete joke.

Not to mention the frame rate gets extremely low at parts in the DLC that isnt present in the nomal game. It gets to the point where its basically unplayable.

Overall its extremely hard to reccomend this DLC in my opinion.

Rubezh

It's nice they added DLC. From what I've heard so far, it doesn't sound like a particularly integral part of the overall experience. Kind of like BDtS for Mass Effect or OA for Fallout 3.

Downloaded the DLC last night, will hopefully give it a shot sometime soon with my mates, I only really have my level 50 character so I don't want to smash my way through it.

Philthy

DLC was far too easy. Even easier than the game proper. I love the style, artwork, and story, but it was so simple that I became quickly bored of one shot killing everything. This was in the 30s. All the quests were lower level than me when I started.

I wont purchase the next DLC unless I die in every area at least 5 times, and 5 times to each boss. They need to take into account the different specs. When I shoot something with the slow power it slows EVERYTHING down to a crawl. How about tossing twice to three times as many enemies at me? How about instead of one boss, five come out? Have one of them slow immune. How about some enemies can only be slowed for 1/10th the amount of time.

All of this needs to be done for EVERY top tier skill so the game doesn't become stupidly easy.

I want a freakin' challenge already. Good god.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There are certain things about this game that baffles me.

Like the value of certain weapons.

I don't quite get why this,

r94n0l.jpg

Is worth more than this

2u8wfsx.jpg

despite the obvious differences and the latter having better stats. I've run across tons of weapons like that. A bunch of weaker weapons being worth a whole lot more than a better weapon.

Top Bottom