• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

vhfive

rc213 said:
Thanks, Just my 1st reward which was extra slots for my backpack in a lost cave I stumbled on.

Using Mordecai should I be focusing on the Sniper rifle and pistol since those 2 show up in his skill tree?
i would first focus on bloodwing. out for blood + bird of prey has saved me more times then i can count. then focus on snipers. trespass is the shit and makes the road up to the vault very easy.
my level 50 tree

Insaniac

I dl/ed the DLC on the 24th and played it a bit afterwards. Then today i tried to start up borderlands and it said my DLC content was corrupt. Can i go and delete it and re-d/l it for free?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I just got my copy in the mail. Anyone looking for a fresh co-op run? (someone say yes :D )

rc213

Pctx said:
Yes.

Best tree's (IMO) :
[IMGhttp://i48.tinypic.com/2eyv1o0.jpg[/IMG]

This is a godly setup and it works well in either solo or groups. Haven't respec'ed once from this because I love it too damn much. :lol

Also--- Shotguns are handy too. I wasn't too into SMGs or Rocket launchers though.

vhfive said:
i would first focus on bloodwing. out for blood + bird of prey has saved me more times then i can count. then focus on snipers. trespass is the shit and makes the road up to the vault very easy.
my level 50 tree

elrechazao said:
mordecai = gunslinger. I tried them all extensively and that was the best for me.

Thanks for all the tips, I love the sniper rifles for long range and a shotgun for up close. Is health regen a part of the shields? I picked up a shield and something else and now both the shield and my health regenerate.

borderlands-20090915095435363-000.jpg

Last thing, What is that badge under Bricks name.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I kinda wish that one of Mordecai's skills increased bullet speed. That little perk made a huge difference when it came to sniping while I was playing with my Siren.

GDJustin

GDJustin said:
I just got my copy in the mail. Anyone looking for a fresh co-op run? (someone say yes :D )

Started playing solo. Hit level 10 and did the starting quests plus a few more. WOW. Game is very fun, even running by myself. I rolled a soldier.

Game is already a little tough at times, too. If you get into a situation without a specific weapon (ie against lots of skags without a competent shotgun) you're in real trouble.

Def fun. But I want some solo buddies! Any takers?

Edit: 360 version.

Aaron

Insaniac said:
I dl/ed the DLC on the 24th and played it a bit afterwards. Then today i tried to start up borderlands and it said my DLC content was corrupt. Can i go and delete it and re-d/l it for free?
Yes.

vazel

Banned
Got the game today for PC and played it all day. I like it but I'm a little disappointed the game doesn't force much cooperation. I almost wanted a hunter to pounce someone. I've seen 1-2 people do all the work while the others are just wandering around.

Also I've seen high levels join games where everyone else is below level 10. Such level discrepancy pairings shouldn't be allowed. My first time I think I got around 5 level advances without even doing anything because a level 44 was blazing through the game for us. I got so angry at that I quit and started a new character. Then at the Sledge boss fight there was build up about him being a tough guy then another high level player takes him down in like five seconds.

And very stupid not to have UPnP for hosting. You'll see lots of hosts timeout because they don't have the right ports forwarded. I set my router to DMZ so I can host. There is a patch that adds UPnP coming out.

Is there any 'suggested level' or time in the main story to do the DLC part? I hear it can be too easy or the drops of no use to you if you wait too long, I don't really want that.

UFRA

If I already have 5 points to the Soldier's "Deploy" skill (100% reduction in turret cooldown time) does anyone know if it's worth it to apply points to the "Refire" skill (shooting an enemy causes the cooldown to be reduced by x seconds every 2 seconds)?

Or, do these skills cancel each other out and only one can be used?

Edit: Also, does the turret supply drop interfere with the guided missile at all? (i.e. if it shoots a rocket and deploys a supply drop every 4 sec, will this conflict and only 1 of the 2 things happen?)

Sciz

UFRA said:
If I already have 5 points to the Soldier's "Deploy" skill (100% reduction in turret cooldown time) does anyone know if it's worth it to apply points to the "Refire" skill (shooting an enemy causes the cooldown to be reduced by x seconds every 2 seconds)?
In short, yes. Read this.

KBox

Anybody ever come across this in CO-OP. I'm in my buddy's game and we go to the job board to do a mission. We finish the mission and he turns in the reward and gets the sniper rifle award, and I don't get it in my inventory. I made room for a reward in my backpack, but was wondering if this is a known issue or if I should be collecting the reward first. Doesn't the whole party get rewards from the job board?

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
KBox said:
Anybody ever come across this in CO-OP. I'm in my buddy's game and we go to the job board to do a mission. We finish the mission and he turns in the reward and gets the sniper rifle award, and I don't get it in my inventory. I made room for a reward in my backpack, but was wondering if this is a known issue or if I should be collecting the reward first. Doesn't the whole party get rewards from the job board?
Check your quest log, it might be listed as ineligible. He can drag you around and you can do whatever tasks the mission requires but you can't turn it in or get the reward yourself.

out0v0rder said:
Just beat the game...

The whole fucking game is just a euphemism for gold-diggers taking advantage of those on the quest for pussy.

You fucking work your ass off for one pretty lady you thought you knew in hopes of the ultimate payoff. When you finally get to home base, you realize it wasn't as great as you had hoped.

Even the end boss was a giant vagina that you had to shoot in the clit.

Fuck this game, I can't even return it fucking steam.

Oh well, at least the devs got your money ;)

out0v0rder said:
yeah oh well. fuck those goldiggers and you.

im not the one out of pocket for a so called shitty game :lol

(edited for you cause apparently you havent got the brain power to read sentences correctly, even with typos in them)

GDJustin

Sorry for my ignorance - if you join someone's co-op game you keep your loot and EXP and other character progress, but not GAME progress, correct? ie if you complete a bunch of quests in their "world" you'll need to complete them again in your own?

I wanna play co-op but I want people doing it in my instance of the game world... >_> I don't have a bunch of time to re-play stuff.

Cahill

Banned
GDJustin said:
Sorry for my ignorance - if you join someone's co-op game you keep your loot and EXP and other character progress, but not GAME progress, correct? ie if you complete a bunch of quests in their "world" you'll need to complete them again in your own?

I wanna play co-op but I want people doing it in my instance of the game world... >_> I don't have a bunch of time to re-play stuff.

Only for main story quests and only if they are ahead of you (ie:if you both start a game with new characters you'll both be doing everything together and get credit). Side quests taken on and completed together will always count as completed in your game.

ckohler

Does anybody know if Lilith's broken skills have been fixed on the 360 yet? Like the one that does massive melee damage. I read that it wasn't working.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
vazel said:
Got the game today for PC and played it all day. I like it but I'm a little disappointed the game doesn't force much cooperation. I almost wanted a hunter to pounce someone. I've seen 1-2 people do all the work while the others are just wandering around.

Also I've seen high levels join games where everyone else is below level 10. Such level discrepancy pairings shouldn't be allowed. My first time I think I got around 5 level advances without even doing anything because a level 44 was blazing through the game for us. I got so angry at that I quit and started a new character. Then at the Sledge boss fight there was build up about him being a tough guy then another high level player takes him down in like five seconds.

And very stupid not to have UPnP for hosting. You'll see lots of hosts timeout because they don't have the right ports forwarded. I set my router to DMZ so I can host. There is a patch that adds UPnP coming out.

When a group is playing at synchronized levels, I've found teamwork is kind of required to survive higher level mobs if you press forward at a steady pace. It's like any game; people online will often just not play it "right" and screw around, whether the game requires teamwork or not.

In the case of Borderlands, I think that it doesn't so much absolutely require teamwork in the same way as say, Left 4 Dead, but it rewards teamwork tremendously. The way the classes can interlock is great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
out0v0rder said:
what the ass does this mean

It means you're not long for this world :p

Kaijima said:
When a group is playing at synchronized levels, I've found teamwork is kind of required to survive higher level mobs if you press forward at a steady pace. It's like any game; people online will often just not play it "right" and screw around, whether the game requires teamwork or not.

In the case of Borderlands, I think that it doesn't so much absolutely require teamwork in the same way as say, Left 4 Dead, but it rewards teamwork tremendously. The way the classes can interlock is great.

So true. Every class is capable of soloing- but almost every pair works great if played correctly, and a full compliment of 4 classes can absolutely tear through an area working together.

2-person Old Haven runs are a lot of fun though. Can't wait to reach it on my second playthrough...

-PXG-

My roommate got this the other day for 360. I've played more than he has :lol. I picked Roland. Almost level 30 now and in the Tetanus Warren.

Needless to say, I fucking love this game. I've done EVERY SINGLE side mission so far, except for two. This game may actually be my GOTY. Going to buy the Zombie Island DLC tomorrow.

DY_nasty

ckohler said:
Does anybody know if Lilith's broken skills have been fixed on the 360 yet? Like the one that does massive melee damage. I read that it wasn't working.
It works now, but Silent Resolve still doesn't. Even though it is a pretty heavy attack (2000+ damage along with phase explosion effects for my lvl 50 build) it still leaves something to be desired because at higher levels, the only thing its going to take out in one shotis a mid-high level goon. If Silent Resolve worked then maybe I'd have a little more faith in building around phase strike.

Maybe Dramatic Entrance would beef it up a little but as it stands, Mind Games >>>> all.

bdouble

-PXG- said:
My roommate got this the other day for 360. I've played more than he has :lol. I'm picked Roland. Almost level 30 now and in the Tetanus Warren.

Needless to say, I fucking love this game. I've done EVERY SINGLE side mission so far, except for two. This game may actually be my GOTY. Going to buy the Zombie Island DLC tomorrow.
You guys should play split screen. Also the sidequests are going to make you outlevel the enemies pretty quickly. I figured this out when I just started owning bosses about 1/4 of the way through. Pretty much stopped doing them after a while. Unless it sounded really interesting. Plus you will have another playthrough or two to get to 50 and can do them then when the loot is insane.

-PXG-

bdouble said:
You guys should play split screen. Also the sidequests are going to make you outlevel the enemies pretty quickly. I figured this out when I just started owning bosses about 1/4 of the way through. Pretty much stopped doing them after a while. Unless it sounded really interesting. Plus you will have another playthrough or two to get to 50 and can do them then when the loot is insane.

The thing is, he sucks at games. Loves them, but sucks at them. I've been watching him play Dragon Age for hours. Shit's painful. :lol I plan on getting my own copy of Borderlands soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just found my first Unending Firepower revolver. By the time I empty its chamber I have another 6 bullets regenerated :lol

Constantly switching between 4 different revolvers each with a different purpose is pretty badass. Of course I switch up my loadout for the giggles pretty often, but a good masher + gun crazy is just disgustingly pwnful.

DY_nasty

I'm still trying to get used to switching over from a firefly build to pimping mind games with my lilith.

I had no idea mind games was this powerful. I was just fighting Baron Flynt after I respec'd - intuition + quicksilver + mindgames ...zomg

I need to find a gun to match. My hellfire is 15 levels too weak right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What does firefly focus on? I'm not sure how to spec my Siren quite yet. Still powering through playthrough 2 for the DLC with my hunter.

DY_nasty

Hawkian said:
What does firefly focus on? I'm not sure how to spec my Siren quite yet. Still powering through playthrough 2 for the DLC with my hunter.
Steady, continuous damage. Hitting enemies with as many elemental effects as possible, running circles around enemies with Intiution, and laughing as you kill enemies without shooting with Phoenix. Just make sure you got a good shield and a bunch of ammo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sweet. I might try that out. Mind Games IS mighty tempting, though.

Just minutes after that post about the Unending Firepower pistol, which is otherwise unremarkable, I replaced my best masher (those my 6-bullet masher with scope is still my all-purpose go to weapon). The new one (found in fucking Skag Gully!?) does more damage than any other weapon in my inventory except one shotty which I can't use til level 48.

Bang :D

DY_nasty

Hawkian said:
Sweet. I might try that out. Mind Games IS mighty tempting, though.

Just minutes after that post about the Unending Firepower pistol, which is otherwise unremarkable, I replaced my best masher (those my 6-bullet masher with scope is still my all-purpose go to weapon). The new one (found in fucking Skag Gully!?) does more damage than any other weapon in my inventory except one shotty which I can't use til level 48.

Bang :D
Just so you know, Firefly is an excellent build for co-op because the continuous damage makes everyone's job easier but when you're solo-ing its a different story.

I'm on my second playthrough with the Soldier and I have the other classes at various stages in the game.
I really do like this game (PC version). I have found, though, that my Siren seems to be the one I have the most fun with, and also the one I've found the best loot with. That includes a level 25 shield with 960 strength and several eridium weapons. My Soldier has only found one. And she's at a higher level at the same point in the game due to the bonus exp you get from kills.
The one I have the most trouble with is Brick. His melee is great but all to often gets caught short at range.
Anyway, love the game. I have no problem with any of the missions except Mad Mel which is complete bollocks.

Aaron

Brick is about balancing his melee with general weapon skills. The damage resistance after kill and the various health and shield buffs really help. Also, he is absolutely murder to bosses.

Monocle

So I rented Borderlands tonight and I was pleasantly surprised. My first impression: this game is a lighter version of Fallout 3. I have my skills, my missions and my loot, but instead of agonizing over skill point distribution I can try out a build for a while and see how I take to it. If it doesn't fit, I'm free to try something else. The controls are comfortable and the weapons feel good. It's always a bit of a thrill to pick up a new one and size it up against the rest of my inventory. I've been enjoying wandering aimlessly, fighting random fights. I chose to play as a Siren because I read that the class has some fairly hefty advantages over the others. I'm not regretting my decision so far. Even if it's too early to make an informed judgment, she seems strong enough. Her silly laugh is a source of great amusement. The missions are pretty fun. I think I've finished seven, and I can't wait to tackle more and get my hands on some of the better weapons and advanced skills.

Haven't touched co-op or multiplayer yet. I hear Borderlands gets a lot better with human company. If the simple formula of wandering and looting and leveling stays the same right on through to the end, I can see myself spending a lot of time with this game. I'll snag it for sure if I spot a good deal, though I'm half tempted to wait a few months and see if a re-release with DLC (and perhaps other bonus content?) materializes.

out0v0rder said:
just got done stomping around the house while crying
Your whining is getting old. Take it somewhere else.

glaurung

So, I finished my DLC trophy run last night and got the brains mission done.

Whereas the DLC is really, really great, that last mission of gathering an absurd amount of brains was stupid. It would make sense when that quest giver/solver were in a central hub, some place you'd pass by often and redeem the quest every now and then.

But it isn't. The quest giver is tucked away in a stupidly far corner of the map and initially I did not even find it.

So: overall a nice extension to the game, but the brains collector mission was poorly implemented.

Top Bottom