• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

edgefusion

I have to say, after completing the DLC, I'm pretty disappointed with the performance issues. I've never experienced anything quite as bad as it on a console. Frequently the framerate would dip down unplayably low, there were a couple of times I nearly died because I just couldn't accurately aim, it was like watching a slideshow. They need to put a fix out asap because it seriously mars the gameplay in the new area.

Reich

Cant finish this quest

==========Seek Out Tannis==========
Level 21
Rewards: 2760 XP, $2700

Just head to the waypoint. Turn in and get the next quest.

What about the Claptrap ? .. Where is he.

Aaron

Just played the DLC two player split screen and had very rare slowdown, which never got to the point of worth bothering about. This is on the 360. Loved it, will play through again.

jabipun

Philthy said:
DLC was far too easy. Even easier than the game proper. I love the style, artwork, and story, but it was so simple that I became quickly bored of one shot killing everything. This was in the 30s. All the quests were lower level than me when I started.

I wont purchase the next DLC unless I die in every area at least 5 times, and 5 times to each boss. They need to take into account the different specs. When I shoot something with the slow power it slows EVERYTHING down to a crawl. How about tossing twice to three times as many enemies at me? How about instead of one boss, five come out? Have one of them slow immune. How about some enemies can only be slowed for 1/10th the amount of time.

All of this needs to be done for EVERY top tier skill so the game doesn't become stupidly easy.

I want a freakin' challenge already. Good god.

What they need to do is realize that those likely to purchase DLC's for a particular game are most likely hardcore fans. Whom - of which, are probably playing the game at a higher level than others.

DLC add-ons should always be, imo - a ways harder than the regular campaign.

To me, this concept seems almost like common sense.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I just finished the second quest in the DLC, and I'm loving it. I'm leveling like mad, too. At least early on, it's kind of funny that there are always enemies, making it really hard to pick up items...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can anyone on their second playthrough help me out with some weapons from early on in the game? I'm at level 34 and the weapons are right on that mark and would totally beat what I have right now in my first playthrough. PSN is same as here.

rc213

Kadey said:
There are certain things about this game that baffles me.

Like the value of certain weapons.

I don't quite get why this,

r94n0l.jpg

Is worth more than this

2u8wfsx.jpg

despite the obvious differences and the latter having better stats. I've run across tons of weapons like that. A bunch of weaker weapons being worth a whole lot more than a better weapon.

I am wondering this too but I just started the game as Mordecai, Hope I made the right choice. =x

I'm going to pick this game up when I come home for winter break but I had a question regarding class selection. I'm looking at the class descriptions and it looks like Roland would best fit the way I would probably play the game. Now, this may sound superficial but I really don't want to play as some big beefy dude. I'd rather play as Lilith or Mordecai. Would I be setting myself up for failure if I attempted to play a Roland-esque game with one of these two?

I apologize if a similar question has been asked before.

elrechazao said:
Pretty much sealed the no buy for me. Unforgiveable in a loot game, sorry.
while i do think the lack of unique drops is kind of lame, seriously faulting a game with millions of weapons in it for that is a little weak really. it could have used some original drops from thr bosses / bigger enemies, but im not going to raise a huge stink about it like some people in this thread.

the primary reason to get the dlc is the new environments, enemies, and missions, as well as the story. that is how one should decide if they want this, not new weapons. that, quite frankly, is dumb.

Just beat the game...

The whole fucking game is just a euphemism for gold-diggers taking advantage of those on the quest for pussy.

You fucking work your ass off for one pretty lady you thought you knew in hopes of the ultimate payoff. When you finally get to home base, you realize it wasn't as great as you had hoped.

Even the end boss was a giant vagina that you had to shoot in the clit.

Fuck this game, I can't even return it fucking steam.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kadey said:
There are certain things about this game that baffles me.

Like the value of certain weapons.

I don't quite get why this,

r94n0l.jpg

Is worth more than this

2u8wfsx.jpg

despite the obvious differences and the latter having better stats. I've run across tons of weapons like that. A bunch of weaker weapons being worth a whole lot more than a better weapon.

Aren't Blue colored items more rare than Yellow colored ones? I think rarity affects the pricing much more than stats.

Just finished the game last nite. Wow, what a huge anti-climatic ending. I had heard it was lame, but really? Still loved the game to death. Going to do a co-op run.

Colocho said:
Quick question, is the game worth it if I'm only planning on playing in single player mode?

I put about 70 hours into it alone, then another 70 or so with friends. If you like this type of game, then yes.

52club

Based on the amount of DLC that will be on its way (based on higher than expected sales number) the initial game is kind of a glorified BETA in my opinion.

I wish I would have waited instead of picking up a copy in the 4-pack. It isn't the money so much, but the obvious console port to the PC that bothers me.

I've traded in my copy of borderlands, and will hopefully rebuy it at some point if they do a fallout 3 type goty edition with all of the (probably inevitable) dlc packs.

Amory

I'm doing the "Scavenger: Combat Rifle" mission in the Arid Badlands, and I simply cannot locate the last piece of the gun. It's the "combat rifle sight" and I'm right on top of the indicator, and I can't see it anywhere, high or low.

Anyone else have this problem? Can someone help me out?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Some much higher level person was nice enough to help me out and give me freebies. Once you get hold of one of those hellfire weapons, my god.

XCell9200 said:
I'm doing the "Scavenger: Combat Rifle" mission in the Arid Badlands, and I simply cannot locate the last piece of the gun. It's the "combat rifle sight" and I'm right on top of the indicator, and I can't see it anywhere, high or low.

Look around the general area next to the indicator, preferably from the highest point possible. The indicator is not "exactly" over the parts for these quests.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
XCell9200 said:

There is a valve surrounded by gates and a water tower. It's up on the top. You'll have to climb the rocks around that area to left and jump up to it. Nevermind, you said Arid, I thought you meant Dhal.

Take the hint as Super said. Indicators are not the exact spot where items and stuff are, it just means somewhere around that area.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What do the x# mean next to power or damage rankings? I get so confused...I see like...4x7 damage. Or 25x10 damage. Is it really doing 250? Where is that multiplier from?

Just got a copy on 360. So if I start out in single player, can I have a person join me in split screen at any point and save his own character to join whenever he comes over? We use these characters online then?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, I brought my 360 HD over to my buddy's house to show him the DLC. I booted up my character, and he booted his up from the memory unit. We were in fact able to play together (obviously).

It also says that if the host doesn't have the DLC, you cannot access it. Does that mean that if the host has Zombie Island, anyone who joins online can access it too?

Jason

XCell9200 said:

I think that's the one in the burned out car near the edge of the cliff/slope/hill thing.

XCell9200 said:

Have the exact same issue and I can't find the piece anywhere in that local area. I am concerned that the piece has not actually populated in my game world. I have tried restarting the game and looking in other nearby areas, but to no avail.

When I was collecting crystals in the cave the indicator stopped tracking the locations through the cave and just stuck to a point near the beginning of the cave (where no item had ever existed). Fortunately, in that instance, it was easy to see where I had to go, but it seems that the map indicator is a bit buggy (PC version).

Okay, here's my conundrum. I'm looking for a dungeon-crawl-y co-op action RPG to play with my brother when he returns home from college in December. Our favorite co-op games have included Diablo, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, L4D, etc. We've even watched each other play stuff like Mass Effect and Fallout 3. In that sense, I'm thinking Borderlands would be a really solid pick. It sounds like there's a nice character variety, decent weapons, fun co-op combat dynamics, etc.

Here's the caveat. He put loads of time into FO3 and doesn't sound terribly enthusiastic about Borderlands. I think he might be in a post-apocalypse fatigue? As for me, I enjoyed watching FO3 more than I enjoyed playing it; the post-apocalyptic setting eventually lost its luster.

Further, even though my bro and I are decently keen on stat management, stat micromanagement will turn us off pretty much immediately. How is Borderlands in that regard?

Lastly, we both got annoyed by the accuracy system in FO3. Is shooting in Borderlands closer to FO3 or L4D? How is accuracy calculated? Damage calculated?

Thanks.

rc213

Got about 5hrs in last night, So far this seems to be exactly my type of game. Having a blast doing a quest and checking the map to see a secluded area and just wandering off to explore is so satisfying. Early on what should I be spending my cash on? Seems like I am doing fine with weapons found exploring but I haven't found many mods like extra ammo and shield mods. Do I need to purchase the 2 extra slots for weapons n stuff?

FrancisH

Just got this game and I really like it so far.

Currently level 8 single player, well level 7 now, damn thing crashed and I lost a level. Trying out the new Nvidia driver to see if that helps.

The Blue Jihad said:
Okay, here's my conundrum. I'm looking for a dungeon-crawl-y co-op action RPG to play with my brother when he returns home from college in December. Our favorite co-op games have included Diablo, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, L4D, etc. We've even watched each other play stuff like Mass Effect and Fallout 3. In that sense, I'm thinking Borderlands would be a really solid pick. It sounds like there's a nice character variety, decent weapons, fun co-op combat dynamics, etc.

Here's the caveat. He put loads of time into FO3 and doesn't sound terribly enthusiastic about Borderlands. I think he might be in a post-apocalypse fatigue? As for me, I enjoyed watching FO3 more than I enjoyed playing it; the post-apocalyptic setting eventually lost its luster.

Further, even though my bro and I are decently keen on stat management, stat micromanagement will turn us off pretty much immediately. How is Borderlands in that regard?

Lastly, we both got annoyed by the accuracy system in FO3. Is shooting in Borderlands closer to FO3 or L4D? How is accuracy calculated? Damage calculated?

Thanks.

Stat micromanagement doesn't come into play. It has simple skill trees that don't require a math degree to figure out, and cheap respeccing for those trees so you can play with your points anytime with almost no penalty.

Accuracy is a function of guns, and it makes a lot of sense. Generally, if you aim at something you hit it. Borderlands doesn't really have a "roll the dice behind the scenes of the game to see if each bullet has an X chance to hit what you're pointing at."

It's a very satisfying shooter where the guns behave the way you would expect them to.

I'd say go for it, but I'm biased since this is my favorite game in quite a while :)

rc213 said:
Got about 5hrs in last night, So far this seems to be exactly my type of game. Having a blast doing a quest and checking the map to see a secluded area and just wandering off to explore is so satisfying. Early on what should I be spending my cash on? Seems like I am doing fine with weapons found exploring but I haven't found many mods like extra ammo and shield mods. Do I need to purchase the 2 extra slots for weapons n stuff?

Extra slots for weapons and backpack will come, they are quest rewards. Spend your money early on a health regen shield imo, those are very helpful until you have health regen type skills.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just beat the game and DLC.. I think it is very great game and I had a lot of fun with my friend and we managed to get 100% done with game and achievements.

However, It will bring me to ask one question. Will there be second DLC?

Amory

the_prime_mover said:
Have the exact same issue and I can't find the piece anywhere in that local area. I am concerned that the piece has not actually populated in my game world. I have tried restarting the game and looking in other nearby areas, but to no avail.

When I was collecting crystals in the cave the indicator stopped tracking the locations through the cave and just stuck to a point near the beginning of the cave (where no item had ever existed). Fortunately, in that instance, it was easy to see where I had to go, but it seems that the map indicator is a bit buggy (PC version).

I found it after a bit of searching.
It was behind one of the enclosures on the "scaffolding"

I'm playing the 360 version, not the PC, but you should be able to find it eventually.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Got it for the PS3, this game is amazing. Split Screen, Online, fetch and grab questing with gameplay that is fun...and the great humor! It's everything I ever wanted in a game.

I love the subtitle under every boss's name during their cutscenes. :D

I just wish the PS3 version supported guest login during splitscreen play. Can't convince my brother to play unless he's getting trophies or can use his character. =/

Pctx

Banned
elrechazao said:
I've traded in my copy of borderlands, and will hopefully rebuy it at some point if they do a fallout 3 type goty edition with all of the (probably inevitable) dlc packs.
*grabs pitchfork* BURN HIM!!!!

I think overall I was disappointed in the DLC. It wasn't bad by any means but I was kinda bored playing it and it didn't give me anything new, other than new locations. The fact that the "zombies" for the most part were just re-skinned enemies with the same animations mostly didn't help. Nice to see some new guys though.

Finished it pretty quickly, probably 2/3 hours. The Braaaaaaaaains mission was rather tedious though. The mission should have been located a bit more earlier in so you knew what to collect Brains for. Collecting them without accepting the mission first meant you were wasting your time there. But going back and forth for the ludircrous amounts was boring.

I think unless there's a nice change in the game for future DLC I'll pack Borderlands away now, never to return. Great game while it lasted tough.

Unless they find a way to add more weapons and skills, I'm pretty much done with this game. I've tried starting up new characters but they all feel so slow when compared to my Siren.

I look forward to Borderlands 2 or any future expansion packs.

rc213

elrechazao said:
Extra slots for weapons and backpack will come, they are quest rewards. Spend your money early on a health regen shield imo, those are very helpful until you have health regen type skills.

Thanks, Just my 1st reward which was extra slots for my backpack in a lost cave I stumbled on.

Using Mordecai should I be focusing on the Sniper rifle and pistol since those 2 show up in his skill tree?

Pctx

Banned
rc213 said:
Thanks, Just my 1st reward which was extra slots for my backpack in a lost cave I stumbled on.

Using Mordecai should I be focusing on the Sniper rifle and pistol since those 2 show up in his skill tree?
Yes.

Best tree's (IMO) :
2eyv1o0.jpg

This is a godly setup and it works well in either solo or groups. Haven't respec'ed once from this because I love it too damn much. :lol

Also--- Shotguns are handy too. I wasn't too into SMGs or Rocket launchers though.

Top Bottom