• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian said:
You know it can heal you and regenerate your ammo right?
I didn't know that. I'm still early in my soldier playthrough but ammo regeneration doesn't sound all that helpful in a game like this where ammo really does pop up everywhere when you are running low. Health regen is cool I guess but Lilith can also regenerate health during phasewalking. I don't know, maybe I'll turn out to love the soldier later on if i stick with him but at least in the early going I found Lilith to be better.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
criesofthepast said:
I'm not feeling Soldier class at all. Lilith was so much more fun for me. The turret is useless. I got way used to phasewalking in troubled situations and running the fuck out of there to heal up. With the soldier there is no where to run. You can't just lay down a turret as a badass skag is running at you because by the time the turret sets up, it will just run behind it or get stuck in it and then you have to guide your enemy back into the turrets line of sight to do some damage. I'm only at level 8 so I don't know if the turret gets faster and more effective but so far i hate it. At the very least it should be able to shoot 360 degrees.

Lilith ftw so far out of the two classes I've tried.
The turret <<<< Phasewalk, no matter how you spin it.

Still though, the turret itself is shitty cover. I usually try and place the turret at choke point or in a corner so that I can be sure that its got a clean shot at everything and manages to draw fire. In co-op, a soldier the white mage of the group, clearly. Solo though... Its hard going from a siren to a soldier. I pretty much ignored the turret in my build and instead focused on increasing mag size and making rifles godlike.
criesofthepast said:
I didn't know that. I'm still early in my soldier playthrough but ammo regeneration doesn't sound all that helpful in a game like this where ammo really does pop up everywhere when you are running low. Health regen is cool I guess but Lilith can also regenerate health during phasewalking. I don't know, maybe I'll turn out to love the soldier later on if i stick with him but at least in the early going I found Lilith to be better.
Regenerating ammo is unbelievably awesome. Its not essential, but goddamn is it awesome.

BlaneH

Banned
My highest character is a soldier and who I beat the game with. It's funny I started it not expecting to dig the class but I really did. It reminded me of how Master Chief plays in halo to be honest.

kmfdmpig

criesofthepast said:

You never really run out of ammo for the long term, but it's not uncommon to run out in the middle of a big battle. Having to grab something off the ground while 5 enemies are attacking is never a good thing.

I hit level 50 last night with a soldier, and the turret really can make a huge difference. Plus as a soldier you'll be able to help your party a lot. Mods alone can be great for the team. I have two I switch between. One gives +24% experience and the other regenerates team ammo very quickly and gives the entire team a larger magazine size, which is huge as it means less reloading.

Doodis

So, I'm thinking of picking this game up due to all the buzz, but I'd only be playing single player. None of my friends have it and I play at random times (young kids at home). Is this game worth it for just the single player campaign? I love a good story line but I've heard this game is lacking in that area. Thoughts?

Love corrosive weapons against those Crimson Lance guys. maxed out the +% damage for turret on the skill tree didn't put any into guided missile cause it was underwhelming. decided to put some into support for faster shield regen and cooldown reduction for the turret.

Kinda disturbing though the way they scream in pain when they die via corrosive damage and melt. :lol

Got a class mod that gives +9 ammo regen and +40% magazine size. Ammo recharges fast than I can emptyt he clip of my LMG and combat rifles with.

tidus9000

Doodis said:
So, I'm thinking of picking this game up due to all the buzz, but I'd only be playing single player. None of my friends have it and I play at random times (young kids at home). Is this game worth it for just the single player campaign? I love a good story line but I've heard this game is lacking in that area. Thoughts?

as far as story goes it's pretty barebones, but don't let that scare you away. due to issues with my internet, i've been doing only single player and it is still addictive as hell. I've had time just dissapear into this game without noticing and i havn't so much as touched the multiplayer stuff.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm a level 20 Siren right now and I feel pretty lost with how to upgrade her. I just find myself going back and forth, so I've allotted a bunch of points in different areas. So far, I've put nothing in the Elemental subset. Is that bad? It seems like people tend to favor those.

Doodis said:
Story blows ass, single player blows ass. Don't get it. Better off getting a fallout 3 super duper edition with all the DLC included or whatever it's called that the kids love these days.

Man, getting to level 50 is going to take some serious grinding. It's the only trophy I need for my platinum, though. I'm at level 42 right now with Lilith. I got Assassins Creed 2 and Dragon Age yet to be started sitting and waiting for me.

Playthrough 2 is where this game becomes so much more awesome. Great loot. Is it possible to do playthrough 3 or 4 and so on? I guess by the time you finish playthrough 2 you'll be at level 50 already so the loot won't get any better after that anyways.

out0v0rder said:
Story blows ass, single player blows ass. Don't get it. Better off getting a fallout 3 super duper edition with all the DLC included or whatever it's called that the kids love these days.
I enjoyed Single Player..

out0v0rder said:
You know, I'll never stop wondering why some people insist on viewing Borderlands as a single player game when it has been pitched as a co-op title the entire bloody time.

Doodis

MicVlaD said:
You know, I'll never stop wondering why some people insist on viewing Borderlands as a single player game when it has been pitched as a co-op title the entire bloody time.
Well, this is exactly why I was asking! Guess I'll give Dragon Age a shot instead.

C4Lukins

Doodis said:

Yes the storyline is very weak, and I really could not even tell you what happened. Maybe if you read all the quests and listen closely to all the dialog, there may be something worthwhile story-wise. The DLC on the otherhand, while not a great story, is a fun little tale. When I do play it in single player mode, the gameplay still holds up really well and if I did not have a couple of friends to play with I am sure I still would have purchased it and had a lot of fun. Maybe consider it for a rental or as a budget purchase down the line.

TheYanger

GuardianE said:
I'm a level 20 Siren right now and I feel pretty lost with how to upgrade her. I just find myself going back and forth, so I've allotted a bunch of points in different areas. So far, I've put nothing in the Elemental subset. Is that bad? It seems like people tend to favor those.

Elementalist (Firefly class stuff) Sirens DO rock, but you require very specific gear for it to be amazing, Phoenix basically carries you without a good gun. Going the mercenary route seemed far superior to me the first playthrough since I wasn't getting any great elemental guns, you should always get Quicksilver in the elemental tree, it wastes bullets faster but firing 25% faster is basically a 25% dps boost regardless of build. Around your level was when I went for controller instead and as you level up some it basically made the game a breeze, by the time I finished I hadn't died in a good 6-7 levels at all, and usually when you do die it's just to random barrel explosions with nobody nearby to second wind off of or something.

Girl Power, Diva, Mind Games, Inner Glow, those all increase your survivability phenomenally, example of Mind Games' OPness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4KgyNfAs0o

Blizzard

Banned
So why the heck was there a big update download on Steam today even when I haven't bought the DLC? Is this some evil equivalent of already-on-the-disk paid DLC? :p

vermadas

Blizzard said:
So why the heck was there a big update download on Steam today even when I haven't bought the DLC? Is this some evil equivalent of already-on-the-disk paid DLC? :p

It reset some of my ini tweaks. Also reset my video resolution. Oh, and it seems to have broken my sound too. Most sound effects don't play at all now. Most of the ones that do actually play sound horribly off.

Edit: Sound is working again after quitting and coming back in. Yay.

out0v0rder said:
Does being wrong so hard make your toes hurt?

rc213

Doodis said:
Well, this is exactly why I was asking! Guess I'll give Dragon Age a shot instead.

Don't mind the loonies, Game is awesome in SP. It definitely is better in Co-op but the single player is fucking awesome.

Blizzard said:

Someone on the SomethingAwful forums are saying that the patch added SecuROM to the main game regardless of whether or not you have the DLC...Unconfirmed so far.

bdouble

Blizzard said:
Maybe it wasn't the DLC? Obviously wasn't on the disc. Isn't the DLC like a gig?

Blizzard

Banned
bdouble said:
Maybe it wasn't the DLC? Obviously wasn't on the disc. Isn't the DLC like a gig?
I don't know, but I would really like to know why there was a decently sized download from them with no patch notes or anything. If it really WAS SecuROM, then that's double strikes against GearBox, yeesh.

Takuan

Installed the game yesterday, chose Mordecai, and went straight online. Wound up joining a level 45 guy's game, gained 10 levels in about 10 minutes, then quit and started over in single player. Much better having an idea of what's going on. I was surprised there wasn't any sort of authentication when I installed or went online; I'm guess pirates can play the game free?

If anyone would like to play tomorrow at around 5 EST, I'll probably be online. I leveled Mordecai legitimately in SP to 10, and while it's been fun so far (basically mindless killing for loot & levels), the game was meant to be played with others.

GameSpyID is TakuanGA

drizzle

Axel Hertz
With the Christmas sale looming in the background, I won't buy the DLC for PC right now. I'll wait till "the week where wallets will cry".

I'd be pissed if I lost even a 5% discount in it.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, I haven't tried running Borderlands since the update myself, and I did NOT get the DLC. I checked only for changes that happened automatically with the Steam update. Here is what I found (not a complete list, there's also some package stuff in CookedPC and maybe more).

First, note the new localization entries. These contain stuff like mission text for the DLC.
v8gegj.png

Next, note some small packages regarding the DLC. Maybe this handles how missions are integrated. I'm not sure.
os52s2.png

Next, note a DLC installer executable. I didn't run it.
2vrudc2.png

Lastly, and most concerning to me, this patch automatically updates your Borderlands executable to 8MB or so larger, if I'm not mistaken. And take a look at the comparison. No SecuROM mention in the original file, and hey, a bunch of SecuROM mentions in the top file! SecuROM v7? Silently in an automatic patch? I'm not sure, but it doesn't look out of the realm of possibility!
2cf2i5s.jpg

So in conclusion, yes, the actual DLC resources for levels and textures and stuff is probably large and probably only downloaded when you buy the DLC. But yikes, this automatic silent patch seems a little concerning to me. :/ (seems it might cause sound/graphics glitches as well as erasing your .ini file tweaks)

*edit*
And to update again, if you check the Steam page for the DLC, the DLC ITSELF has a SecuROM 5-installation limit...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing Singleplayer it's still amazing.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
criesofthepast said:
Trust me, later on you're going to love having ammo regen if you use weapons that have 500% burst fire count in your second playthrough. Less time reloading is always a good thing.

legend166

They added SecureROM through a patch?

I ALREADY BOUGHT THE GAME ON STEAM YOU STUPID RETARDS. IF IT'S UPDATING THROUGH STEAM I'M OBVIOUSLY NOT A PIRATE HOLY CRAP GEARBOX.

I said it in the Steam thread, and I'll say it agin. Hopefully one of their employees reads this thread - after all the crap they pulled with this game, i.e.

• Delayed PC release for no reason
  • Horrible PC port
  • Use of GAMESPY OH THE HORROR
  • Deciding to introduce regional pricing 2 weeks after the game was already out - didn't effect me but annoys me on principle
  • Introducing SecureROM via a patch - what the hell

I will not be purchasing another Gearbox game. Shame, too, I was thinking of picking up the BiA games on Steam when they went on sale. Oh well.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
legend166 said:
They added SecureROM through a patch?

I ALREADY BOUGHT THE GAME ON STEAM YOU STUPID RETARDS. IF IT'S UPDATING THROUGH STEAM I'M OBVIOUSLY NOT A PIRATE HOLY CRAP GEARBOX.

I said it in the Steam thread, and I'll say it agin. Hopefully one of their employees reads this thread - after all the crap they pulled with this game, i.e.

• Delayed PC release for no reason
  • Horrible PC port
  • Use of GAMESPY OH THE HORROR
  • Deciding to introduce regional pricing 2 weeks after the game was already out - didn't effect me but annoys me on principle
  • Introducing SecureROM via a patch - what the hell

I will not be purchasing another Gearbox game. Shame, too, I was thinking of picking up the BiA games on Steam when they went on sale. Oh well.
It's only for the DLC I think, not the actual game.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, I looked at the Gearbox forums earlier and it seems only the DLC actually has SecuROM.

Not defending, it's totally shitty considering the base game doesn't have it and I'd never buy the DLC because of it, but people there were saying the change to the base game was so it worked with the DLC's SecuROM or something.

Quite a lot of defenders over there though. One guy I saw made like six posts cursing at people complaining about it, saying "if my computer dies I won't be installing it again anyway so who cares about install limits! Once I uninstall, I'm done with the game!" and "this is what you fuckers get for pirating it!!!"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
TheYanger said:
Elementalist (Firefly class stuff) Sirens DO rock, but you require very specific gear for it to be amazing, Phoenix basically carries you without a good gun. Going the mercenary route seemed far superior to me the first playthrough since I wasn't getting any great elemental guns, you should always get Quicksilver in the elemental tree, it wastes bullets faster but firing 25% faster is basically a 25% dps boost regardless of build. Around your level was when I went for controller instead and as you level up some it basically made the game a breeze, by the time I finished I hadn't died in a good 6-7 levels at all, and usually when you do die it's just to random barrel explosions with nobody nearby to second wind off of or something.

Girl Power, Diva, Mind Games, Inner Glow, those all increase your survivability phenomenally, example of Mind Games' OPness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4KgyNfAs0o

Wow, I hadn't realized that Daze made the bullets themselves go slower. That's pretty badass. I think I might take that approach. Thanks.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
benjipwns said:
Quite a lot of defenders over there though. One guy I saw made like six posts cursing at people complaining about it, saying "if my computer dies I won't be installing it again anyway so who cares about install limits! Once I uninstall, I'm done with the game!" and "this is what you fuckers get for pirating it!!!"
b8mekg.jpg

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I still can't seem to get the co-op, online portion of this game to work for me when I host and yet I am greeted with DLC and SecuRom news? Sorry, Gearbox, but never again.

Weenerz said:
Totally understand why they put that on the DLC, without it, it would be pirated so much.

From a quick search, the DLC is already available on torrent sites. SecuROM does very little in actually preventing piracy.

Blizzard

Banned
Jangaroo said:
It's only for the DLC I think, not the actual game.
What I posted is what's in the actual Borderlands.exe executable in the Steam version WITHOUT the DLC now. However, you may very well be correct, and the SecuROM stuff may only be in there to apply to the DLC.

And no, it would not surprise me to see the DLC pirated. I don't endorse piracy at all, but it makes me sad when I have a legally purchased Steam version and can't use the editor at all, but people with the retail Borderlands version have been able to hex edit their executables (through some magick) and run the level editor to make their own maps and stuff, ala Mirror's Edge.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
crimsonheadGCN said:
From a quick search, the DLC is already available on torrent sites. SecuROM does very little in actually preventing piracy.

No DRM does. The most intrusive, malicious DRM will simply lengthen the period before a game is cracked. It's millions wasted that could be better spent on QA, testing, or, for the most directly profitable reapplication, marketing. I wish the industry would come around on this one. Still, as a consumer, I haven't had any problems with SecuROM, install-limit or otherwise, and it just basically annoys me on principle. Any pirated version of software will by nature have the DRM removed, so the only people that could have problems with it are owners of legitimate purchases. So silly.

-PXG-

Hawkian said:
No DRM does. The most intrusive, malicious DRM will simply lengthen the period before a game is cracked. It's millions wasted that could be better spent on QA, testing, or, for the most directly profitable reapplication, marketing. I wish the industry would come around on this one. Still, as a consumer, I haven't had any problems with SecuROM, install-limit or otherwise, and it just basically annoys me on principle. Any pirated version of software will by nature have the DRM removed, so the only people that could have problems with it are owners of legitimate purchases. So silly.

QFT

Top Bottom