• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Woffls

Really? I've only picked up 3 in my 50 hours of playing and they were pretty lame.

DY_nasty said:
Cut-scenes for what? More boss intros? The plot in the game pretty much ends when you get off the bus.

That's what I was trying to say. The game needed some more attention paid to story and plot, a lot more :D

KZObsessed

Got my copy today, bought it to play split screen co-op with my younger brother, I loved playing the original Resistance with him the same way and having a great time. Glad to say the game hasn't disappointed so far. It started off very slow and I wasn't sure it was gonna keep my attention, but after about 5 hours straight, we're both well and truly hooked. Can't wait to play it again 2moro after Uni.

Not bad for £17.99! :D

Holy crap how long is this game. Everytime I feel like I'm nearing the end, more missions come up. I checked online and I still have a few missions to do; I'm in the final push. Loving every minute of it.

I'm seriously overwhelmed with how big the world is. It feels at least 5 times bigger than fallout 3.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Woffls said:
Really? I've only picked up 3 in my 50 hours of playing and they were pretty lame.
Thunder Storm is a beast. Awesome for the finishing touches to a disco-ball on a superbadass. Everything else, meh - I need my criticals.
criesofthepast said:
Holy crap how long is this game. Everytime I feel like I'm nearing the end, more missions come up. I checked online and I still have a few missions to do; I'm in the final push. Loving every minute of it.

I'm seriously overwhelmed with how big the world is. It feels at least 5 times bigger than fallout 3.
I know it isn't, but it definitely feels that way. Wish they had done a little more with the whole night & day thing though.

Antithos

Neo Member
ExtraKr1spy said:
Level 26 and I love it.

Support gunner mod for my soldier and I never have to buy ammo again :)

Found an Eridian weapon on top one of the houses on New Haven, shoot balls of energy but they move kinda slow but they lock onto enemies I think. keeping it for now since idk if its rare and I can only get 1,000 for it.

Rarity is indicated by the color coding of the weapon's name... I believe it goes white (most common), green, blue, purple, yellow, light orange, dark orange (least common).

I'm level 20 but I'm still on the fence if I like the game or not. It does have some fun aspects but also quite a few annoyances...

C4Lukins

So I just completed the DLC and did not get the last achievement,
Defeat undead Zed/Ned or whatever it is.
Can I fight him again or do I have to start a new playthrough to get it? Is this is a known bug? The person I was playing with did get the achievement.

Edit: Nevermind. Just looked it up and reloaded my character into Jacob's Cove and it worked.

glaurung

Looks like there is more new DLC on the way, at least there's a new set of trophies out for the PS3 version.

Looks to be centered around some arena challenges or something.

Just beat the game. WTF at the final boss. I literally wasn't even touched. Took 15 seconds using an average machine gun. I was level 36 or 37 when I finished.

Ending aside. Bravo Gearbox. Sleeper hit of the year if not this entire gen for me.

Question: When you rescue claptraps in playthrough 2, do you get backpack upgrades?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Here are the trophies that glaurung is referring to for those of you who can't check.

www.ps3trophies.org said:
(Bronze) Small Tournament - Completed the lesser challenge in all 3 coliseums
(Silver) Hell-Burbia - Completed the larger challenge in the Hell-Burbia coliseum
(Silver) The Angelic Ruins - Completed the larger challenge in The Angelic Ruins coliseum
(Silver) The Gully - Completed the larger challenge in The Gully coliseum
(Gold) Big Tournament - Completed each of the larger challenges in all 3 coliseums

glaurung

criesofthepast said:
Just beat the game. WTF at the final boss. I literally wasn't even touched. Took 15 seconds using an average machine gun. I was level 36 or 37 when I finished.

Ending aside. Bravo Gearbox. Sleeper hit of the year if not this entire gen for me.

Question: When you rescue claptraps in playthrough 2, do you get backpack upgrades?
No more storage upgrades, just experience and I think some random loot (think I recall getting a grenade modifier in Sledge's safe house).

glaurung said:
No more storage upgrades, just experience and I think some random loot (think I recall getting a grenade modifier in Sledge's safe house).

Wrong, there is a possibility that you can get more storage upgrades, I'm up to around 48 now after rescuing all claptraps on both playthroughs.

glaurung

CrazedArabMan said:
Wrong, there is a possibility that you can get more storage upgrades, I'm up to around 48 now after rescuing all claptraps on both playthroughs.
Huh?

I could swear I re-did the claptrap missions in Earl's Scrapyard, Sledge's Safehouse and... some place else as well and all I got was experience.

Need to re-check.

Cahill

Banned
glaurung said:
Huh?

I could swear I re-did the claptrap missions in Earl's Scrapyard, Sledge's Safehouse and... some place else as well and all I got was experience.

Need to re-check.

Seems really random. I saved every claptrap in Playthrough 2 and never got another backpack upgrade. People I've played with have received additional storage upgrades in their 2nd run though. One of which was in my game!

Double D

I'm on playthrough 2 and am a level 41 soldier. I've only got 39 slots, so I've obviously missed some claptraps on playthrough 1. I just found Tannis again, and still haven't found any claptraps that I missed on the first go-round.

Also, it seems like I'm not getting totally awesome loot like some of you. I've only got 4 orange weapons in my inventory. Currently my best repeater only does 114 damage and has no elementals. I've got nice revolvers (in the upper 300s), but I want the bigger magazine size and fire rate.

One more thing, I have not upgraded my turret at all. I find myself rarely using it, and there were just other places that I'd rather spend my points. Anyone else do this?

DeadGzuz

Banned
criesofthepast said:

I did the last boss last night with my friend. He died like 3 times, it was not too hard, but not cake. I'm guessing the game balance isn't very good, especially when adding players.

The whole set of last levels I felt inept, non of my weapons could hurt those aliens. Only my fully decked out turret with a level 3 shock mod could take them down.

The loot was distributed weird in the second half of the game, I never replaced my level 22 purple SMG (The Spy). I was level 36 and still using it.

How do you start a game+?

Stallion Free said:
Here are the trophies that glaurung is referring to for those of you who can't check.

Ah cool more stuffs incoming, need to actually start playing Jacobs cove tho as modern warfare is sucking my life away!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh wow, Brains is the most bullshit achievement ever. Now that's purely designed to get you to stay in the DLC content much longer than it lasts. :lol

Cahill

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Oh wow, Brains is the most bullshit achievement ever. Now that's purely designed to get you to stay in the DLC content much longer than it lasts. :lol

Yeah, the first two were kinda humorous I guess... then after the
4th
I was certain it was going to be over... It wasn't. Such bullshit.

They really should at least count ones you pick up prior to the quest, or additional one's gathered. I picked the frickin' things up.. where'd they magically go?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's the most bullshit part. If you could just get the 300 or so brains in one go, it wouldn't be that big a deal. But nope. You have to trek back to the quest giver and turn it in before you can collect more.

And the thing is, you know Pitchford is ALL about the achievements, so this was done on purpose.

Sort of like the September 17th (or whatever) achievement for Brothers in Arms, where you can only get the achievement if you play the game on that specific date.

rc213

glaurung said:
Huh?

Need to re-check.

I just did Earl's Scrapyard clap trap in play through 2 and got a back pack sdu to get me to 45 slots.

rc213 said:
I just did Earl's Scrapyard clap trap in play through 2 and got a back pack sdu to get me to 45 slots.

It's a glitch. Technically the "max" is supposed to be 42 slots, but it's possible (if you're lucky) to get up to 48 by randomly getting SDUs on the second playthrough (which isn't supposed to be possible). My friend got 48 slots which is the most(?) I've heard of without hacking.

So if I start this up on 360 on single player, I can have a buddy come over and split screen join my game with a new character and it won't hurt anything and can continue on my own later?

Cahill

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
So if I start this up on 360 on single player, I can have a buddy come over and split screen join my game with a new character and it won't hurt anything and can continue on my own later?

Yep. He will level quickly/get his ass kicked if you're too high and won't get main story quest XP but technically you can do it.

BattleMonkey said:

Correct. He won't get 'credit' for any quests that he doesn't also have flagged, but you will be able to play together no problem.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
BattleMonkey said:
Make sure he selects another profile for his character or else it won't be saved. Made this mistake with my cousin. I didn't realize he wasn't signed into a profile.

BigAT

Does anyone know if there is a resource available anywhere that has the sound effects from the game? I would love to have the Claptrap "HA-HA!" on my cell phone.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Have there been any announcements regarding the second PC patch that actually fixes the online connection issues? word on DLC?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
DeadGzuz said:
I did the last boss last night with my friend. He died like 3 times, it was not too hard, but not cake. I'm guessing the game balance isn't very good, especially when adding players.

The whole set of last levels I felt inept, non of my weapons could hurt those aliens. Only my fully decked out turret with a level 3 shock mod could take them down.

The loot was distributed weird in the second half of the game, I never replaced my level 22 purple SMG (The Spy). I was level 36 and still using it.

How do you start a game+?
To start playthrough 2,
turn in to Tannis after you've beaten the final boss. Then simply press start, and exit. Then, simply select your character as if you were trying to start a new game and select playthrough 2. Enemies will be scaled to your level and the new loot rocks

Vik_Vaughn said:
I'm on playthrough 2 and am a level 41 soldier. I've only got 39 slots, so I've obviously missed some claptraps on playthrough 1. I just found Tannis again, and still haven't found any claptraps that I missed on the first go-round.

Also, it seems like I'm not getting totally awesome loot like some of you. I've only got 4 orange weapons in my inventory. Currently my best repeater only does 114 damage and has no elementals. I've got nice revolvers (in the upper 300s), but I want the bigger magazine size and fire rate.

One more thing, I have not upgraded my turret at all. I find myself rarely using it, and there were just other places that I'd rather spend my points. Anyone else do this?
I've just started my own soldier (around level 32 right now) but its pretty easy for me to tell that they aren't the real powerhouses of the party. Even the most jacked soldier will be second to a Siren or Hunter by a solid amount. Not saying that a soldier won't be able to hold his own, he'll have no problem with that, but he's not going to be laying down entire mobs quite like a Brick or a Siren-Firefly would. The soldier's best skills in my opinion are support-related. The Guided Missile sucks, especially in the late game but having a 5/5 barrage, upgraded turret bullet damage with corrosive shells in combination with metal storm, grenadier, and assault can be something that you can bank on.

Soldier is awesome for co-op, B- for solo. At least in my opinion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soldier is the best coop class. Can't tell you how many times a buddy's healing/reviving turret has turned certain death into overwhelming victory.

Hawkian said:
Soldier is the best coop class. Can't tell you how many times a buddy's healing/reviving turret has turned certain death into overwhelming victory.

Also a soldier with Support Gunner class mod equipped is an absolute must for coop. Team Ammo regen <3

criesofthepast said:

yes

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Claptrap_Rescue_Missions

rc213 said:
Wow just found a Sniper Rifle with 763 damage and x4 fire damage.

Is x4 the max on any weapon?
yes

bdouble

Man I hope the sequel is as much of an improvement that Ac2 was over the original. This game has a fun base and concepts but there is so much more. PVP with objective based games. I bet they are already working on Gun Generator 2.0. Still will gladly wait a while to play it.

bdouble said:
Man I hope the sequel is as much of an improvement that Ac2 was over the original. This game has a fun base and concepts but there is so much more. PVP with objective based games. I bet they are already working on Gun Generator 2.0. Still will gladly wait a while to play it.

My only worry with PVP is that it turns the game competitive. Once the game is competitive instead of just cooperative than everybody and everything has to be balanced. Then you get your uber-builds where everything is min/maxed to win, flavors of the month, and class zealots asking for other classes to be nerfed. Nobody wins.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I hate to say it, but I've dumped this game and won't be giving my money to Gearbox on the PC in the future. Bummer but cest la vie.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kintaro said:
I hate to say it, but I've dumped this game and won't be giving my money to Gearbox on the PC in the future. Bummer but cest la vie.

It's not for everybody I suppose...

Hootie

Kintaro said:

I'm thinking about buying this game...what didn't you like about it?

Blizzard

Banned
Kintaro said:
Yeah, it seems like a neat game, but I have definitely learned not to trust Gearbox/the spokesperson, and if they make any future games I'm interested in, I will probably try to wait for a discount cheaper than the 4-pack. *shrug*

I'm not feeling Soldier class at all. Lilith was so much more fun for me. The turret is useless. I got way used to phasewalking in troubled situations and running the fuck out of there to heal up. With the soldier there is no where to run. You can't just lay down a turret as a badass skag is running at you because by the time the turret sets up, it will just run behind it or get stuck in it and then you have to guide your enemy back into the turrets line of sight to do some damage. I'm only at level 8 so I don't know if the turret gets faster and more effective but so far i hate it. At the very least it should be able to shoot 360 degrees.

Lilith ftw so far out of the two classes I've tried.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
criesofthepast said:
I'm only at level 8 so I don't know if the turret gets faster and more effective but so far i hate it.

You know it can heal you and regenerate your ammo right?

The turret is useful, but no so much early on. Put skill points into healing for it and increased damaged. When you get into higher levels it really helps to reduce the cooldown. Also I usually would toss it out right before starting a battle to pull the initial aggro because of the exact problem you mention of mobs getting behind it.

Top Bottom