• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, after resorting to farming New Haven for loot, I still can't find a decent level 25 Maliwan Combustion Hellfire for my Siren. The two that I have found have an awful fire rate (the lowest possible, I think) and fires as slowly as most repeaters, which defeats the entire point of the Hellfire.

Anyone have one to trade? I did manage to pick up all sorts of goodies while farming.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The fake credits for Zombie got a big lol here.

Now to work on the Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaains and platinum trophies.

Ready for the new DLC in early January.

Love the voice..

BTW - Her voice is by Brina Palencia

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1754270/

BRINAPALENCIA.jpg

She does a ton of anime voice acting in One Piece and DBZ and other popular animes.

Oh and shes a co-host on the in-store TV network at GameStop - GameStop TV.

My brother jumps EVERYWHERE he goes. :lol Playing on co-op it gets annoying lol.

I'm a player who enjoys hearing the game with sound on etc so don't want to mute the TV, but I wish I could turn the jump grunts off, just doubles bad because in Borderlands the characters do a jump AND a landing one.

Silly complaint I know but I just noticed how much it annoyed me the other day when I was trying to look at vending machine thing reading stats and all I could hear was my ants-in-his-pants-impatient brother jumping around.

Conrad Link said:
My brother jumps EVERYWHERE he goes. :lol Playing on co-op it gets annoying lol.

I'm a player who enjoys hearing the game with sound on etc so don't want to mute the TV, but I wish I could turn the jump grunts off, just doubles bad because in Borderlands the characters do a jump AND a landing one.

Silly complaint I know but I just noticed how much it annoyed me the other day when I was trying to look at vending machine thing reading stats and all I could hear was my ants-in-his-pants-impatient brother jumping around.
:lol

Amory

You know, I'm really starting to hate the "collect the pieces of this gun and I'll give you the gun" missions. There's always (always!) 1 piece that is either invisible or is nowhere near the indicator and it takes me an hour to find it.

For example, now I'm collecting the pieces to a revolver in the dahl headlands, and I can't find the barrel anywhere. Does anyone remember it being in a weird spot?

Also on a side note, can I equip every legendary artifact that I find?

Edit: nevermind. Finally found the piece. The question about artifacts still stands though.

rc213

Been playing this online since the patch and it is definitely better than it was before. Only time it sucked was when we had super loot whores who came in and just went for the loot exclusively leaving nothing for the host or other players.

Went through Eridian Promontory with 3 other 48-50lvl guys and it was insanity! Also came across a guy with a SMG that did 4x2222+ dmg with all elemental effects attached. Hex'd right? He tried telling me it wasn't but come on. I have also noticed that playing with Mordecai I get badass loot for the other 3 characters and the same with the other 3. A locker that allows you store loot for any character to pick from would be badass.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
rc213 said:
Been playing this online since the patch and it is definitely better than it was before. Only time it sucked was when we had super loot whores who came in and just went for the loot exclusively leaving nothing for the host or other players.

Went through Eridian Promontory with 3 other 48-50lvl guys and it was insanity! Also came across a guy with a SMG that did 4x2222+ dmg with all elemental effects attached. Hex'd right? He tried telling me it wasn't but come on. I have also noticed that playing with Mordecai I get badass loot for the other 3 characters and the same with the other 3. A locker that allows you store loot for any character to pick from would be badass.

Yep. That gun would never actually spawn given the game rules.

Cahill

Banned
BolognaSoup said:
I'm planning on joining some friends in Borderlands soon. They'll be level 10-15ish when I start. How rough will it be for me then?

You'll have to hide behind rocks to avoid getting one-shot killed and will hit for 0 dmg. You'll catch up fairly quickly though.

Cahill said:
You'll have to hide behind rocks to avoid getting one-shot killed and will hit for 0 dmg. You'll catch up fairly quickly though.
There's a "map" in the game, a location (the name escapes me right now, but it's where you find the spiderants in huge groups), that's where I take my friends to level up when they're just getting started. I'm a level 31 sniper, so I just jump into a car with them, and then get out of the car (for some reason I get no experience when I'm in a car, ps3 build here) and proceed to snipe the bugs. I had a friend jump from lvl 4 to level 10 in about 10 minutes. Again, for some reason, my friend had to get out of the car as well, it just wouldn't give him any xp. Those things are lvl 20, so watch out.

If your friends don't mind (and that's a big if), I would suggest that you host the game and that you all start at the beginning of the game (but everybody keeps the character build). That way you get to experience the storyline, progression and main quests that you'll be missing if you just jump in their game. I've done that twice (with two different friends) and they also end up leveling up super fast. The first 30 or so minutes of the game aren't so fun (if you're doing it for the second/third time), but since you're probably going to be chatting with your friends, I'm sure they won't mind. :D

benjipwns

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
There's a "map" in the game, a location (the name escapes me right now, but it's where you find the spiderants in huge groups)
That'd be like 75% of the Rust Commons.

Parts of Trash Coast too.

Is the car thing a PS3 bug? I don't get it on PC.

rc213

GuardianE said:
Yep. That gun would never actually spawn given the game rules.

Yeah, I figured as much when they were killing all the guardians with 1 hit.

I get XP while running them over but it's a small amount compared to what you get for getting out and killing them.

Quick Question and I'm sorry if this has already been answered:

When a weapon has say +75% damage or +10 Magazine clip, or whatever, do these stats apply to ALL of your weapons that are equipped at the time ) or do they just apply to the weapon they are attached to? Thanks in advance.

rc213

OJdaKiller said:
Quick Question and I'm sorry if this has already been answered:

When a weapon has say +75% damage or +10 Magazine clip, or whatever, do these stats apply to ALL of your weapons that are equipped at the time ) or do they just apply to the weapon they are attached to? Thanks in advance.

If those stats are attached to a gun then they only apply to that particular gun. If it's attached to a class mod then they apply to any gun.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Aaron said:
Just make sure to play as lilith, and you'll be fine. She's the best solo class, imo.
Yeah, solo with a soldier is pretty rough at points and solo with a hunter can get boring. However, in multiplayer, Soldier is God.

Aaron

DY_nasty said:
Yeah, solo with a soldier is pretty rough at points and solo with a hunter can get boring. However, in multiplayer, Soldier is God.
I have soloed with Brick, and he's great against bosses, but not so hot on mobs, and it only gets worse the further you get into the game.

dskillzhtown said:
Noob question, how is this game when playing single-player?
I played SP as the hunter/sniper until I reached lvl 20 and loved every second of it. Doing co-op now with a RL friend, it's even better. I can definitely recommend the game as a SP loot FPS.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Aaron said:
I have soloed with Brick, and he's great against bosses, but not so hot on mobs, and it only gets worse the further you get into the game.
I almost want to say that the Siren is broken. She's just good at everything.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Thanks to the Steam sale i bought this yesterday finally.

Good god i ahve been missing out, this game is amazing. Just hit level 11 before closing it down half an hour ago. But it's everything i hoped for and more.

And that's my current 2 cents.

Aaron said:
DY_nasty said:
I almost want to say that the Siren is broken. She's just good at everything.
Weird, a friend of mine says the Siren is the best character as well (deals more damage over time), but I soloed with a Siren up to level 15 and just couldn't stand her. I found phasewalking to be underwhelming (please keep in mind this is my opinion while playing as a low level Lilith, I'm not trolling her or anything) and nothing in the skill tree really interested me (I usually go for offensive/critical attack perks/skills), but the truth is that I fell in love with the SMG, so much that for my second playthrough I intend to switch my character's secondary (Mordecai's pistols) to SMGs.
This is the skill build that I would use for a Siren: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21050000050055055005505
This is the skill build that I'm going for with my Hunter: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11555050500000005050055

I'm not saying the hunter is better, he does have a lot of drawbacks: sniper rifles have low rate of fire (compared to repeaters/smgs/assault rifles), low bullet count (again, compared to other weapons), and lining up headshots/criticals is definitely not for everybody (if you're not doing at least 80% criticals/one shot-kills, you're wasting too much ammo). My opinion is that Mordecai's Bloodwing is the least useful of all the character's special skills (Berserk is great for crowd control, Phasewalking is devastating at high levels, and the Scorpion turred is a great backup in a tight spot), though it is great fun to use (Bloodwing, that is) and at higher levels helps with slowing down enemies for lining up those killer shots. I wouldn't trade my offensive capabilities for the bloodwing, though, so it depends on the player's style, I guess.

Anyway, those were my two cents; just about the only character I wouldn't go solo with is Brick. He just doesn't fit my play style. Every character is a lot of fun and has enough room for configuration that you can mix and match different skills combos.

:D I guess we can all agree that this game is fantastic. Gearbox, bring more DLC! I want to see MORE! :D

Aaron

I hardly ever phasewalk with my lilith. It's mainly about buffing SMG damage and dazing enemies to avoid damage. Phasewalk is pretty much a last resort, though it's useful when I want to run someplace fast.

Man, I wish I could figure out what causes the super run Brick glitch. I triggered it again when I was playing co-op with a friend, and my walking was twice as fast as his run. It must have something to do with the vehicles, since it seems to only kick off when they're involved.

JoeBoy101

I've been pretty happy soloing with my soldier. The assault rifles were pretty lackluster in the low-to-mid range but now near 25-30, they are really beefing up. Plus, my skill loadout improves recoil and magazine size to really hit hard with them.

Alright, I just rebought this game after my brother agreed to coop with me. I think I may have been a bit too harsh to it when it first came out. How's the DLC? Can I invite my brother to play it with me or does he also need to purchase the DLC?

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Alright, I just rebought this game after my brother agreed to coop with me. I think I may have been a bit too harsh to it when it first came out. How's the DLC? Can I invite my brother to play it with me or does he also need to purchase the DLC?
Good question, I guess you both have to buy it. It's "only" U$10, and worth every penny, IMO. The main quest (for the DLC) is lenghty, the levels are completely different from the levels in the main game, it just oozes with atmosphere, it's funny, entertaining and challenging. I bought it (PS3) and started playing it last week with a friend in co-op and just got done last night (playing an average of 2 hours a day during 5-6 days). I'm a level 31 hunter and he's a level 26 Brick (he lost all of his save data in a ps3 slim crash), and we found the level pretty challenging since almost every enemy hovers between level 20 and 28. The game kind of asumes you'll be playing the DLC AFTER you're done with the main quest, but I wanted a change of pace so we jumped right in. It's definitely hard, I don't think enemies auto level in Borderlands, so you need to be at least level 30 if you're going to do 2P co-op (in my opinion).
NIGHT- said:
dskillzhtown said:
Thanks! I'll be picking this up Saturday. I'll be sure to use Lillith.
Good choice. :D
I hate you two :lol HUNTER FTW!!

Well, I just had to start my single-player game over due to a corrupt save file and I lost my level 17 berserker. I own about 25 PS3 games, and this is the only one to ever have a corrupted save file. Good work, Gearbox Software.

So I'm getting off the bus at the start of the game just now and the bus driver says to me, "Don't worry about saying goodbye...I'm sure we'll be doing all this again soon enough."

Fuckers.

Lucky Forward said:
Well, I just had to start my single-player game over due to a corrupt save file and I lost my level 17 berserker. I own about 25 PS3 games, and this is the only one to ever have a corrupted save file. Good work, Gearbox Software.

So I'm getting off the bus at the start of the game just now and the bus driver says to me, "Don't worry about saying goodbye...I'm sure we'll be doing all this again soon enough."

Fuckers.

:lol

Completed all the achievements including the DLC ones. Braaains was a chore but I enjoyed blowing the domes off the zombies.

It was pretty easy to solo with Roland imho. Would just switch the element on the turret depending on the area/zone I was in. He was pretty weak in playthrough 1 but in playthrough 2 I began to find combat rifles with 96+ accuracy and 230+ damage in burst fire. First burst or two would down the enemies shield and the next 2-4 would kill the enemies easily if the turret hadn't already.

Having a bit of a harder time in playthrough 2 with Mordecai, mostly from running out of bullets sniping. Love the Elephant gun but shooting with iron sights in the game sucks.

fucking psycho's and their john elway/favre/vick arms throwing axes across the damn map

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So does this game get any better? I've cleared the first area and reached the second one and while the game was pretty entertaining the first hours it's starting to grow a bit stale by now.

Weenerz

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
So does this game get any better? I've cleared the first area and reached the second one and while the game was pretty entertaining the first hours it's starting to grow a bit stale by now.

The game is excellent, the starting area is kind of meh because there isn't as much story and you haven't really uncovered many of the interesting characters.

Rubezh

I have another question. If you jump onto somebody elses server and do a bunch of difficult quests, then jump back into singleplayer, will those quests still be available to do once you reach the right level?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
ItsInMyVeins said:

its a straight line all the way through and the last boss is boring.

However, in co-op it's fun all the way through.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Rubezh said:
I have another question. If you jump onto somebody elses server and do a bunch of difficult quests, then jump back into singleplayer, will those quests still be available to do once you reach the right level?
You can only do quests in single player that you have completed all the prerequisite quests to unlock (whether in single or multi). From context I'm assuming you mean that you completed quests in the other guy's server that you did NOT have available in single player, so no, they will not be available to you in single player mode.

For a longer, almost assuredly more confusing version, imagine there are 5 quests, each unlock in order 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5. I you have personally only completed #1, then you do 3, 4, and 5 on another guy's server, that would have no effect whatsoever on your own SP campaign because you never did 2 and both 1 & 2 are the prerequisites for 3. If, however, you had already completed 1 and 2, completing 3, 4, and 5 on another guy's server would complete them on your own. This works not only for the story quests (which obviously must follow one another) but also for the somewhat random board quests, since completing up to a specific story quest is required for unlocking the board quests.

Top Bottom