• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Askani said:
Small anecdote:

I know people were (are) bitching about the multiplayer for PC. I hadn't tried to play any multiplayer games until tonight. My friend bought the game and we were going to see if we could get it going. It was a futile effort. The level to which the multiplayer is broken and all the fixes and/or workarounds to try is ridiculous. Forwarding ports, checking software firewalls, Hamachi, etc. After about an hour and a half of trying, we gave up. I wish Gearbox had retail stores. If I had a physical copy, I would walk in and throw it at some employee and say "Kiss my ass!".

Going to try again tomorrow. I don't even know if it's worth it though. The experience has really soured me towards multiplayer now. I should just finish my second playthrough and uninstall it and let it rot in my Steam queue.

http://www.gameranger.com/

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Askani said:
Small anecdote:

I know people were (are) bitching about the multiplayer for PC. I hadn't tried to play any multiplayer games until tonight. My friend bought the game and we were going to see if we could get it going. It was a futile effort. The level to which the multiplayer is broken and all the fixes and/or workarounds to try is ridiculous. Forwarding ports, checking software firewalls, Hamachi, etc. After about an hour and a half of trying, we gave up. I wish Gearbox had retail stores. If I had a physical copy, I would walk in and throw it at some employee and say "Kiss my ass!".

Going to try again tomorrow. I don't even know if it's worth it though. The experience has really soured me towards multiplayer now. I should just finish my second playthrough and uninstall it and let it rot in my Steam queue.

Get a proper router/knowledge of network routing and friends with proper routers/knowledge of network routing.

Or just plug the modem directly to your computer and 90% of the problems will be gone. The other 10% is shitty gamespy and there's nothing nobody can do about it.

Leonsito

Guys, I have a problem with Securom :(

Bought the game two days ago, yesterday I installed it, but when I try to run it it says that I have some kind of emulation software like Alcohol or Daemon Tools, well I don't have any of them.

I try to install the 1.1.0 patch, same error.

I run CCleaner to fix registry entries in case something extrange was there, same error.

I run the Securom diagnostic tool, it doesn fix anything... same error.

I mean, I bought a game and I can't play it, if I download a cracked EXE or a pirated game I would be able to play it without any problem, what the fuck.

I'm waiting for securom support to analyzie the log file of the error, but this is stupid, it's saturday, I won't be able to play till monday an original game I paid, this fucking sucks.

/rant

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Leonsito said:

I mean, I bought a game and I can't play it, if I download a cracked EXE or a pirated game I would be able to play it without any problem, what the fuck.
Securom is HORRIBLE. I recomend you do just that: download a cracked exe and screw it.

Leonsito

drizzle said:
Securom is HORRIBLE. I recomend you do just that: download a cracked exe and screw it.

But I can't play online with a cracked exe right? It just sucks buying a game and having to crack it to be able to play.

How many activations I have ? 5 ? Is there a revoke tool ?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Leonsito said:
But I can't play online with a cracked exe right? It just sucks buying a game and having to crack it to be able to play.
That's a good question. I don't see why not? Doesn't hurt to try. AFAIK, pirates can play online (since there's no key to check on a master server, there's nothing preventing them to). All you need to go online is a gamespy account. I believe there's no CRC checking or anything like that involved.

You don't need to uninstall it either. Just rename your original .exe file (to back it up, just in case) and find a cracked .exe.

Leonsito

I found a crack but when I try to run the game it gives me a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" ...

God, I hate this.

Edit: Ok, I was using a 1.01 crack with the 1.10 game, and I can't found cracks for 1.10, and I can't go back to 1.0 ... fuck this. I give up playing Borderlands.

The original game doesn't use securom, only the DLC does. I don't know why you would have a message warning you about emulation software with the original game.

Leonsito said:
I found a crack but when I try to run the game it gives me a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" ...

God, I hate this.

Edit: Ok, I was using a 1.01 crack with the 1.10 game, and I can't found cracks for 1.10, and I can't go back to 1.0 ... fuck this. I give up playing Borderlands.
DRM, always helping the legit consumer.

outsida

Leonsito said:

Bought the game two days ago, yesterday I installed it, but when I try to run it it says that I have some kind of emulation software like Alcohol or Daemon Tools, well I don't have any of them.

I try to install the 1.1.0 patch, same error.

I run CCleaner to fix registry entries in case something extrange was there, same error.

I run the Securom diagnostic tool, it doesn fix anything... same error.

I'm waiting for securom support to analyzie the log file of the error, but this is stupid, it's saturday, I won't be able to play till monday an original game I paid, this fucking sucks.

/rant
This is funny as I have Deamon Tools installed and have images mounted on my PC and can run the Borderlands DLC now problem :lol :lol I hate crappy DRM.

Takuan

Shit, I broke Borderlands after playing around with the UI settings :lol

Didn't think I needed to back anything up just to edit a few simple things. All devices lock up once I enter the game. Anyone have a clue what I did?

Davidion

Takuan said:

Didn't think I needed to back anything up just to edit a few simple things. All devices lock up once I enter the game. Anyone have a clue what I did?

I have the files backed up. PM me.

Leonsito

I <3 Memes said:
The original game doesn't use securom, only the DLC does. I don't know why you would have a message warning you about emulation software with the original game.

I have the retail version, maybe the Steam version doesn't have it :(

Anyway, securom support replied:

Hello.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I've checked your analysis file, but will need to consult our developers to
offer a solution.

We will return to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your cooperation and
patience.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Playing on 360, and see on youtube videos of split screen play with the two screens on top of each other instead of side by side. How do you do this? Or is that the PS3 version?

Beq

Neo Member
Takuan said:

I believe its a bug in the game, what you need to do is at the main menu, go into the controls setup. Everything is unassigned, right?

Just click reset to default or whatever, and that should get you back up and running.

Blizzard

Banned
Leonsito said:
I have the retail version, maybe the Steam version doesn't have it :(

Anyway, securom support replied:
Yeah, the retail version may have SecuROM but the Steam version doesn't, in theory, even though an automatic update added hooks to work with SecuROM in the Steam DLC.

What's really bizarre is that people are claiming (including SecuROM) that SecuROM no longer works as a ring 0 service or whatnot (I'm a computer engineer major and I haven't looked up the details of how Windows works in that regard), and I think I saw random users on the GearBox forums claiming that SecuROM no longer checks for running stuff like DaemonTools or SoftICE...but at least two people including you have posted reports of the thing flagging stuff as running (in both cases when you didn't have it installed?).

So I don't even know who to trust. Long story short, it sucks, pirates who knows where to find the game don't really have problems unless they get a cracked exe with spyware or something, and occasional consumers like you have problems with the game.

Good luck. And yes, I'm well aware that there may be people like Joseph Merrick who hate Steam with a passion and (as far as I remember) never say why. Recently he posted in regard to the Borderlands DRM and was like "Well SecuROM is fine, but Steam on top of it? *suicide*"

That's pretty stupid aside from the basically unexplained Steam hate, because the Steam DRM was there before the SecuROM DRM, so I'm pretty sure adding SecuROM would by definition be on top of Steam...correct me if I'm wrong. :lol At any rate, despite people like Merrick, I don't think I've ever had any problems running games with the Steam DRM, aside from occasionally when servers are really busy and I'm playing in online mode, a game won't start and you have to wait until later. This may also be when an update is pending.

I might like Steam better if that weren't the case, if there wasn't a concern that my account could get flagged erroneously by an automatic credit card fraud detection system like happened to two people here, leaving me unable to do anything on my account for 2-4 days, if the Steam service didn't have to run, and if choosing not to automatically update your games actually worked (I think I kept trying to do that with Mirror's Edge, but the "no automatic updates" setting kept reverting every time Steam restarted). But with those flaws, I still feel like Steam is one of the least obtrusive DRMs I know, and that it works for most people.

I had no idea that retail had securom or I wouldn't have bought it. Now I wish i would have just waited for a good price on steam.

EDIT: So anybody feel like jumping into an early game? On pc of course

benjipwns

Banned
Leonsito said:

God, I hate this.

Did you buy the DLC? If not, just uninstall everything and reinstall and use patch 1.01. All 1.1.0 adds is support for the DLC, no other fixes.

Zzoram

darkjedi187 said:
anyone on ps3 the the trophy for playing with gearbox and want to coop? psn darkjedi187

Just randomly join games, stay for a couple minutes then go to a new game. You'll stumble upon it pretty quickly.

rc213

Ooh, Guess I got lucky today. Saved yesterday and today I no longer had my Grenade mod or my Scavenger mod that had +2 rare items. Bummer, Took me a bit find that mod.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
theBishop said:
It's a bummer that this game can't do split-screen online. I've never been able to get a game with more than two people.

I'll second that even though I'm not on a console. Halo 2 online with two people at the same xbox was bliss.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Hawkian said:
I'll second that even though I'm not on a console. Halo 2 online with two people at the same xbox was bliss.
You know what sucks? The fact that I can't have 4 people through splitscreen + system link.

TheFallen

Finally got around to starting the Zombie Island DLC. The nature of the zombie enemy AI doesn't make it as enjoyable for solo play as I'd like. It's a lot more slower paced and quiet. Hopefully can get some teammates later this week when I continue through. Anyone interested? On 360, and I'm lvl 46.

Sciz

rc213 said:
Ooh, Guess I got lucky today. Saved yesterday and today I no longer had my Grenade mod or my Scavenger mod that had +2 rare items. Bummer, Took me a bit find that mod.
This happened to me once. It turned out that they still existed, but I had to swap in different mods before they reappeared.

Leonsito

SecuROM support emailed me again this morning:

Hello,

It seems that a software conflict is causing this error. Maybe it's the
spsz.sys device driver (usually installed with emulation tools like Daemon
Tools or Alcohol120%).
Could you please remove it with the setup form the link below (note, this is a
3rd party website not related or operated by SecuROM) and then try again to
start the game?

http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads

Best regards,

SecuROM Support Team

And indeed, removing that scsi driver (daemon tools must have left it there) solved all my problems and now I can run Borderlands flawlessly :D

SecuROM sucks, but at least their support is fast.

Marbles

I’m playing as Brick and have the perk that re-spawns rockets, +5 per minute, as well as a class mod that generates +17 rockets.
So why am I not I regaining rocket ammo?
Am I missing something? Does this only work during Berserker mode or am I experiencing some sort of character bug?

Edit: Xbox 360 version

DryvBy

Has anyone found the colors past Orange? If so, can someone post a picture? I'm curious to see what the look like + stats. My gun I found at level 20 and at level 44, it's still the best thing I've found :lol

Davidion

DryvBy2 said:
Has anyone found the colors past Orange? If so, can someone post a picture? I'm curious to see what the look like + stats. My gun I found at level 20 and at level 44, it's still the best thing I've found :lol

Got one, sold it. :lol It doesn't look distinctive other than the fact that it ranks above your orange guns in the inventory/shop list.

I'm using a level 20+ gun at level 47, which I kept over the aforementioned 30+ pearl repeater I sold; it's not that odd.

DryvBy

Davidion said:
Got one, sold it. :lol It doesn't look distinctive other than the fact that it ranks above your orange guns in the inventory/shop list.

I'm using a level 20+ gun at level 47, which I kept over the aforementioned 30+ pearl repeater I sold; it's not that odd.

Bah! If you could just add that rarity to a 4x fire sniper, I'd be set. I just want a new color. lol

I wish I could have done the achievements/trophies though. I thinking finding a color that "rare" would be nice and feel like an actual achievement of such.

rc213

Sciz said:
This happened to me once. It turned out that they still existed, but I had to swap in different mods before they reappeared.

Thanks, I backed up my save that night so I will load it up and check if that works.

rc213 said:
PS3 1.02 patch is live!
Changelog?

Edit: Got this from gearbox's forums.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=90665 said:
Updates:

5 lines of text (awesome)
Achievement/Trophies bugs fixed: finally got my 12 days of Pandora unlocked
Hunters Loaded increased to 20% like 360s
Multiple Bloodwing Glitch fixed
Solder's Scattershot is now +5% damage and -5% spread like the 360s

Can anybody confirm? I just bought the Zombie Island DLC and this newly released patch makes me nervous. Don't want to lose my progress or anything.

I'm so confused on the Hair of the Dog quest. I need to go to the Treacher's Landing, but I don't know where it is. When I go to Commons West, the quest diamond tells me to go to Commons East and when I go there it tells me to go back to Commons West. =[

Edit: I found it. I have no idea what went wrong before.

I'm honestly thinking of making a straight trade on craigslist for this game. My Modern Warfare 2 for somebodies Borderlands. I'm having just no fun with the game. The only problem is I had the same misgivings about COD4 and regretted ever selling it. Any day now I might pull the trigger and put it up. The only thing keeping me is I want to finally finish the game and unlock all the coop missions. I'm fuckin done with the multiplayer.

I guess my question is are there still low level people to play with. Not just people who are working on their 2nd and 3rd character.

bathala

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
Changelog?

Edit: Got this from gearbox's forums.

Can anybody confirm? I just bought the Zombie Island DLC and this newly released patch makes me nervous. Don't want to lose my progress or anything.
there's one thing u gotta worry about the DLC. A vending machine glitch
there's a mission called Upscale where u r suppose to restore a Jacob's vending machine. the glitch is after u log back in to the game the vending machine is offline. Can't access it anymore

bathala said:
there's one thing u gotta worry about the DLC. A vending machine glitch
there's a mission called Upscale where u r suppose to restore a Jacob's vending machine. the glitch is after u log back in to the game the vending machine is offline. Can't access it anymore
Thanks for the heads up. So that means I need to do the quest right away without quitting the game?

rc213

PS3 Update, 12/17
Here are the notes for the update automatically distributed via the PSN on 12/17:

- Characters that have lost skill points will have them returned the next time they are loaded
- Most instances involving character data loss when playing online should no longer occur
- Item cards now display the intended five lines of text
- Trophies should now unlock properly. Players should automatically receive trophies that did not unlock correctly
- Resolved an issue that caused optical audio to stutter
- Fixed a progression issue in the Find Steele mission - characters affected by this issue should now be able to continue progressing
- Some issues involving external data manipulation of the backpack and character level have been addressed
- The auto-aim option should now fully disable auto-aim properly
- Fixed a bug that kept challenges and achievements from unlocking for the rest of a session after visiting arenas
- Fixed some formatting issues with the server list screen.
- Fixed an issue causing servers to report the incorrect plot mission.
- Improved the speed of refreshing the server browser
- Proficiency progress to the next level should no longer be lost when leaving a multiplayer game as a client
- Lilith's "Silent Resolve" skill now works as intended
- Fixed a bug that allowed Mordecai to spawn multiple Bloodwings
- Mordecai's "Loaded" skill now increases mag capacity by 20%
- Roland's "Scattershot" skill has had its spread adjustment corrected, and damage now increases at +5 per level

Top Bottom