• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

ivysaur12

Banned
Just got this for Christmas.

I definitely was a little bored at first, but I'm having a blast now. I'm a big loot whore, so this is really keeping me busy. The only complaints I have so far that the environments and enemies are monotonous, but I'm only at level 16 and I haven't gone to
Sledge
yet. Some of the monsters in the last area were really cool, and the boss was brutal.

And I'm doing solo as a Hunter. Was that a bad choice?

ezekial45

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Just got this for Christmas.

I definitely was a little bored at first, but I'm having a blast now. I'm a big loot whore, so this is really keeping me busy. The only complaints I have so far that the environments and enemies are monotonous, but I'm only at level 16 and I haven't gone to
Sledge
yet. Some of the monsters in the last area were really cool, and the boss was brutal.

And I'm doing solo as a Hunter. Was that a bad choice?

Not at all, every class can solo just fine. Just make sure you spend your points the right way.

Sorry for the bump, has anybody experienced graphical issues while playing on ps3? Yesterday the sky started changing colors and these weird lines started to show on the horizon. It happened three times during different sessions, it was very reminiscent of a videocard glitch but I was playing online co-op with a friend and he ALSO experienced it (at the same exact time). We've been playing for a while today and everything seems ok. I'm on a year old MGS4 80gb BC "fat" PS3, and he's playing on a brand new slim. Any ideas? I just hope it's not a hardware issue. Thanks in advance!

UFRA

FunkyPajamas said:
Sorry for the bump, has anybody experienced graphical issues while playing on ps3? Yesterday the sky started changing colors and these weird lines started to show on the horizon. It happened three times during different sessions, it was very reminiscent of a videocard glitch but I was playing online co-op with a friend and he ALSO experienced it (at the same exact time). We've been playing for a while today and everything seems ok. I'm on a year old MGS4 80gb BC "fat" PS3, and he's playing on a brand new slim. Any ideas? I just hope it's not a hardware issue. Thanks in advance!

Well at first it sounded like a videocard issue like you said, but since you said that your friend experienced the same thing at the same time, I'm sure it was some online-related bug instead. This game is filled with online glitches and issues, probably thanks to GameSpy.

sladeums

glad to hear i'm not the only one.
this started happening to me about 20 hours in.

im on a Slim that replaced a YLOD'd 60 gig, and when the sky started going all disco i got a real bad feeling.

and this was solo offline, btw

Billen said:
So, does this game run like shit on the ps3?
Hell no. I have encountered slowdown issues and the aforementioned graphical glitches (and the dreaded unreal engine texture streaming issue) but the former two happened three times in what I think is a 30hrs play through (multiple playthroughs actually). The game runs at 1080p (or so the box says) and it looks awesome. I can only imagine how it would look on PC.

As usual: get the version you feel will get you more play time. I have not seen the 360 nor PC versions, but the ps3 version is super playable. If your friends are on ps3, go for it. If your friends are on 360, then that's were you should go, same for steam/etc

As a side note, I completed the game for the first time on Saturday and rather enjoyed the ride, (end game spoilers)
even though the ending was anticlimactic as usual
. I started my second play through right away and the high level loot/enemies are making me enjoy this one even more. I'm at 70% trophies and plan on getting platinum real soon. I have the "and they'll tell two people" trophy, so if anybody wants it, just let me know. I'll be online in about 10 hrs and most of the week, probably.
UFRA said:
Well at first it sounded like a videocard issue like you said, but since you said that your friend experienced the same thing at the same time, I'm sure it was some online-related bug instead. This game is filled with online glitches and issues, probably thanks to GameSpy.
sladeums said:
glad to hear i'm not the only one.
this started happening to me about 20 hours in.

im on a Slim that replaced a YLOD'd 60 gig, and when the sky started going all disco i got a real bad feeling.

and this was solo offline, btw
Thanks for the answer, I'm going to take a look at the gearbox forums and see if I find anything. I want to be 100% my ps3 is not about to die. I'll update you guys later. Thanks again.

[edit]

Sure enough: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=90705

jz8cqc.jpg

Issue seems to be caused by 1.02 and playing online. Pretty much half the fun of the game is to play with a friend, of course, so basically we're screwed. Since it's such a "visible" issue, though, I think we'll be seeing another patch soon. The new DLC comes out in January (for PS3), so here's to hoping they'll have a fix by then.

rc213

FunkyPajamas said:
Hell no. I have encountered slowdown issues and the aforementioned graphical glitches (and the dreaded unreal engine texture streaming issue) but the former two happened three times in what I think is a 30hrs play through (multiple playthroughs actually). The game runs at 1080p (or so the box says) and it looks awesome. I can only imagine how it would look on PC.

As usual: get the version you feel will get you more play time. I have not seen the 360 nor PC versions, but the ps3 version is super playable. If your friends are on ps3, go for it. If your friends are on 360, then that's were you should go, same for steam/etc

As a side note, I completed the game for the first time on Saturday and rather enjoyed the ride, (end game spoilers)
even though the ending was anticlimactic as usual
. I started my second play through right away and the high level loot/enemies are making me enjoy this one even more. I'm at 70% trophies and plan on getting platinum real soon. I have the "and they'll tell two people" trophy, so if anybody wants it, just let me know. I'll be online in about 10 hrs and most of the week, probably.

Thanks for the answer, I'm going to take a look at the gearbox forums and see if I find anything. I want to be 100% my ps3 is not about to die. I'll update you guys later. Thanks again.

[edit]

Sure enough: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=90705

jz8cqc.jpg

Issue seems to be caused by 1.02 and playing online. Pretty much half the fun of the game is to play with a friend, of course, so basically we're screwed. Since it's such a "visible" issue, though, I think we'll be seeing another patch soon. The new DLC comes out in January (for PS3), so here's to hoping they'll have a fix by then.

So you can't play at all without that glitch occurring?

Zertez

Whoompthereitis said:
just bought this on 360; plan on getting into it tonight. Mostly solo I think.

What's the consensus on the best class to play?
Solo, Siren or Mordecai are probably the best classes to play. Co-op, every class brings something useful and all are solid.

FunkyPajamas said:
jz8cqc.jpg

I noticed that glitch too, in very certain locations. I thought my PS3 is going to YLOD on me, but I'm glad to know that it's a bug, not my console! :/

Whoompthereitis said:
just bought this on 360; plan on getting into it tonight. Mostly solo I think.

What's the consensus on the best class to play?
Real men pick the hunter. There are... certain others who will choose not so wisely. :p

Just kidding, the general consensus seems as follows:

1. Siren is unstoppable doing solo (high damage over time).
2. Soldier has the scorpio turret as backup (restores health, shield and ammo).
3. Hunter deals a lot of damage with sniper rifles but has low ammo count (and you have to line up your shots to be effective). Bloodwing is good backup.
4. Brick is good against bosses but not so good against mobs (actually I think it should be the other way around). Some people have mentioned that it gets boring playing as the tank.

I think every character is fun to play with. Take a look at the skill trees for each one to make up your mind.
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/

I can seriously and honestly vouch for the Hunter. I've played solo and co-op with up to two friends and he deals a lot of damage and is a great backup (I'm usually the one that ends up killing the bosses).

The cons for the hunter (in my opinion) are:
1. Low bullet count. You have to be constantly scavenging ammo off your fallen enemies, or keeping a sidearm for backup (SMGs/Repeaters are good because they have high rate of fire so they complement the sniper rifle pretty well).
2. Even though the hunter deals a lot of damage (with the right tools), you will have to aim and take your time so that each bullet counts. Especially if you have a low rate of fire sniper rifle.
3. Unlike the Siren or Brick, if you're overwhelmed and surrounded by enemies in close combat, you're in grave danger. There's no easy way to mow down hordes of enemies when you're in close combat (unless you have a high-damage repeater or SMGs); of course, the Hunter's specialty is not close combat, so you have no business being overrun by enemies in the first place. There's a melee damage upgrade which increments your melee attack by 100%, but I wouldn't spend skill points on that one (unless it fits your play style).
4. Good sniper rifles are hard to come by IMO. I had to constantly give up higher damage rifles just so I could keep a decent rate of fire (very important IMO).

Just my two cents. Enjoy your game! :D
rc213 said:
So you can't play at all without that glitch occurring?
That seems to be the case based on the postings in gearbox's support forum. It appears the glitch is only relegated to a very specific map/location (east/west rust commons) and only after a certain quest becomes active. I can't confirm this 100%, but I can confirm that those findings match my own experience. The glitch is not that common and it does not hinder gameplay in any way (I "stared" at the ground for about 30 seconds until it was gone and then I resumed my session). I don't know if it causes -or may cause- permanent damage to the ps3's video card, so caveat emptor.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Oddly enough, I think the Hunter has the best melee in the game (not counting berserk or phase strike of course)

The vicious strike (?) is a monster, even though it'll only come through for you 35% of the time.

EzLink

Banned
Hmm, finally have enough money to pick this up but I'm a little skeptical now. I'm wondering if this experience is worth $60 if I'm only going to be playing solo

EzLink said:
Hmm, finally have enough money to pick this up but I'm a little skeptical now. I'm wondering if this experience is worth $60 if I'm only going to be playing solo
I got the game for U$50 (PS3) back in black friday week, it's U$55 now, I think, and U$50 on steam (maybe even cheaper). I don't think the game is going to drop again (soon, that is), since it's sold so well, but maybe you can wait a couple of weeks and make up your mind? I've said it before, I can definitely recommend the game -even for solo gaming- as the loot whore that I am.

Zertez

EzLink said:
I enjoy playing solo, but co-op is definitely the better option if you have the choice. Replay value is pretty high with 4 different classes, and if you take a character to 50, you will spend awhile doing it. Outside of a couple rpgs, borderlands was one of the best games this year for value versus cost.

DY_nasty said:
Oddly enough, I think the Hunter has the best melee in the game (not counting berserk or phase strike of course)

The vicious strike (?) is a monster, even though it'll only come through for you 35% of the time.
Speced for melee, Siren can do similar damage as the Hunter. That is one of the reason I enjoyed Borderlands a lot. You could spec all the classes several many ways and they all played differently. It isnt to the extent of Diablo 2 classes, but there is enough of a variety to keep things interesting on multiple play throughs.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Zertez said:
Speced for melee, Siren can do similar damage as the Hunter. That is one of the reason I enjoyed Borderlands a lot. You could spec all the classes several many ways and they all played differently. It isnt to the extent of Diablo 2 classes, but there is enough of a variety to keep things interesting on multiple play throughs.
Not as fast.

Deadly (+30% crit damage) + Lethal Strike (+50% melee damage, +500% Lethal Strike damage) is monstrous. Superbads just lay down. Its why most Siren players don't even bother with boosting melee for any reason other than adding corrosive damage, phase duration, or daze. They just can't do that much instant damage.

Maybe a bit too early to start talking about the -hopefully inevitable- sequel; but don't you guys think it would be awesome if the player could customize the weapons? Adding damage/elemental/accuracy/rate of fire/magazine capacity modifiers to a weapon, for a cost, of course. It could follow the formula of a lot of RPGs where you can only modify high level weapons and the more exotic a weapon is, the more customizable slots it has.

Also, there's a level/location near the end of the game
crimson lance outpost
with some awesome looking vehicles. I think it was a shame that we never got to drive those. It would be cool if we could get different types of vehicles for the sequel. And not only those, but hovercrafts and the like. All terrain vehicles, maybe even controllable mechanized armors.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have been playing so much goddamn borderlands the last few weeks.
But holy shit, this game needs crafting for the sequel! :eek:

I bought this game about a month ago but it turns out my videocard didn't have pixel shader 3.0 so I couldnt play it until I got a new videocard which I just got for christmas. Either way I have played about 15hours since then and i am loving it. Sure it gets slightly repetative but mixes 2 of my top 3 games of all time. (Diablo 2 and Fallout 3)
I am playing a "hunter" I guess, but most of my talents are put in extra loot talents and the only real issue i have noticed is that some of my shots dont register. The target could be standing still and I line up a perfect chest shot or something along those lines, and it doesnt do anything. I guess in real life you could miss, but this isnt real life :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
arts&crafts said:
I bought this game about a month ago but it turns out my videocard didn't have pixel shader 3.0 so I couldnt play it until I got a new videocard which I just got for christmas. Either way I have played about 15hours since then and i am loving it. Sure it gets slightly repetative but mixes 2 of my top 3 games of all time. (Diablo 2 and Fallout 3)
I am playing a "hunter" I guess, but most of my talents are put in extra loot talents and the only real issue i have noticed is that some of my shots dont register. The target could be standing still and I line up a perfect chest shot or something along those lines, and it doesnt do anything. I guess in real life you could miss, but this isnt real life :lol
Bullets go towards the crosshair but not perfectly on it (unless you have a 99.5 accuracy gun)
More accuracy = tighter cluster around the center of the crosshair.

Even at 95 or 97 some sniper shots will still miss. Get closer so you don't miss as much.

Chichikov

E-peen, engage!

rLeeR.png

This is only the 2nd game ever for which I get full achievements/trophies.

I practically never go for such achievements (rimshot), but the core mechanic is just so solid that I while there is anything left to do in this game I would probably just keep on playing.
But alas, all the bars are fully filled, no more carrots left to dangle in front of my face, so I guess it's game over; now bring on the the sequel (and some more DLCs while you're working on it).

Zertez

Chichikov said:
E-peen, engage!

rLeeR.png

This is only the 2nd game ever for which I get full achievements/trophies.

I practically never go for such achievements (rimshot), but the core mechanic is just so solid that I while there is anything left to do in this game I would probably just keep on playing.
But alas, all the bars are fully filled, no more carrots left to dangle in front of my face, so I guess it's game over; now bring on the the sequel (and some more DLCs while you're working on it).
A fresh carrot is due out today. Mad Moxxis looks like a lot of fun.

nilbog21

Banned
Man, i'm playing this for 2 of my friends and I am blown away how fun/good this game is. The fucking dungeons are amazing too?

I wouldn't play this game SOLO though.

Chichikov

Zertez said:
A fresh carrot is due out today. Mad Moxxis looks like a lot of fun.
Oh shit, you are right!
I thought it was next week for some reason.

Good news everyone!
Well, good news me, screw everyone.

Teknoman

Damn it. Found out a few days ago that Borderlands doesnt support steam cloud, and I recently had to redownload/reinstall everything steam related.

So im pretty much going to have to start from the beginning.

So is the new bank character specific? Or does it make it easier to transfer weapons between characters? Extra space is nice I guess, but shared extra space is what the game has been missing.

Thanks for all the advice regarding character classes and whatnot...

Last night I started the game out with a Siren- then played solo for 5 hours. That's a lot for me- I usually don't play for sessions that last that long. I'm level 11, and so far I really like it. Glad I bought it. The fact that it's as fun as it is to shoot stuff in this game is great...probably the main reason I played so much, other than the RPG stuff.

Saw the DLC hit while actually playing some Borderlands (lol yeah). Heading to bed now though so I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm reeeeeeeally wanting the bank/storage thing, hope it doesn't suck.

Ok just got done playing through 5 rounds of 5 waves each. This is gonna be tough for anyone who is trying to do it on your own.

We had 3 players in there.. I was a 48 and my friends were each 50s. Playthrough 1. (we tried 2 and were dominated)... Took over an hour to do 5 rounds.

Couple things..

•No XP gained from killing enemies :( In fact XP looks very skimpy. I will need to complete 10 more rounds to get 10k xp.(Finish the first mission)
•In the arena, enemies will spawn from each area which represents their own factions. They will often fight with eachother which is very cool
•Its VERY ODST.. they will start to turn on random bonus powers for your team and the enemies. Best one yet is low gravity.. very fun.
•Enemies will spawn right on top of you, get to the top of a building.
•In between waves supplies will be dropped from the sky, you have 10 seconds to get to them.
•If you die you are spawned up in a tower. You can still shoot and help your team. I was told this by my friends who tried it right away. I assume they are being honest.
•Remember to pick a character and stick with them through the entire DLC.. achievement / trophy will be awarded if you do all the rounds with one character.

Overall it is a ton of fun and a great change of pace. You will want to play with friends however. Achievements might be the toughest yet due to how long it will take to get them and how hard it would be to last as long as you need to gain them.

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Ok just got done playing through 5 rounds of 5 waves each. This is gonna be tough for anyone who is trying to do it on your own.

We had 3 players in there.. I was a 48 and my friends were each 50s. Playthrough 1. (we tried 2 and were dominated)... Took over an hour to do 5 rounds.

Couple things..

•No XP gained from killing enemies :( In fact XP looks very skimpy. I will need to complete 10 more rounds to get 10k xp.(Finish the first mission)
•In the arena, enemies will spawn from each area which represents their own factions. They will often fight with eachother which is very cool
•Its VERY ODST.. they will start to turn on random bonus powers for your team and the enemies. Best one yet is low gravity.. very fun.
•Enemies will spawn right on top of you, get to the top of a building.
•In between waves supplies will be dropped from the sky, you have 10 seconds to get to them.
•If you die you are spawned up in a tower. You can still shoot and help your team. I was told this by my friends who tried it right away. I assume they are being honest.
•Remember to pick a character and stick with them through the entire DLC.. achievement / trophy will be awarded if you do all the rounds with one character.

Overall it is a ton of fun and a great change of pace. You will want to play with friends however. Achievements might be the toughest yet due to how long it will take to get them and how hard it would be to last as long as you need to gain them.
This sounds amazing..

So if you die you go into a Timeout place? :lol

DLC is a blast, doing a second playthrough with a level 50 Hunter and my friend is a level 50 soldier. Only got through the first arena, tried the second one and got demolished by guardians in round 2. Were waiting for some more friends to hop online to do the rest, but overall it is a blast to play.

Top Bottom