• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Weenerz

Banned
GWX said:
Oh. So, I guess that happens because I'm on my first playthrough. The second one shouldn't do this, but I haven't unlocked the quick travel there yet.

As soon as you meet Ned, you can quick travel to it. You don't have to unlock quick travel in the actual story to get to it, just be level 10.

so I played the first 25levels flawlessly on my computer graphics and everything ran smoothly on full settings 1900x1080 but then all of a sudden I got these grey lines across my screen all the time. I researched and it appears that people cant play with dynamic shadows anymore...so I turn them off whatever, no big deal and now all of a sudden the colored lines from items only show when i am really close them and they are all cut up. It is extremely annoying as I cannot see items that dropped 15 feet away like I used to. Is there any way to fix this? My main issue is the colored item glow line things showing.

Tadale said:
I just got this game.

Is there any kind of weapon degradation?
Nope. But as you level up you'll naturally come across better weapons that obsolete the one's you already have. Here's a tip though: Do not refer to an item's level, color, or cost to determine whether its useful, or powerful. None of those properties necessarily mean that the item is any better than one you might have found levels before at a fraction of the cost. Look at the stats, see what helps your play-style, and hold on to those things.

Also, this thread on the official forums is a damn good start to understanding the loot system and weapon features in the game. Click here.

So me and my friend were fucking around in Rust Commons West when this guy just popped into our game. Turns out he had glitched the game to get unlimited shields, bone piles sprouted up a shitton of items when busted, etc.

We ended up kicking him from the game, and I marked him for negative feedback, but the fucked up thing is there is no Xbox Live feedback option for cheats/glitches/hacks.

NullPointer said:
So me and my friend were fucking around in Rust Commons West when this guy just popped into our game. Turns out he had glitched the game to get unlimited shields, bone piles sprouted up a shitton of items when busted, etc.

We ended up kicking him from the game, and I marked him for negative feedback, but the fucked up thing is there is no Xbox Live feedback option for cheats/glitches/hacks.

Modified Console option

Aaron

I just beat the first Moxxi arena solo (after failing badly with a friend). So I have the following tips:

1. MAX OUT YOUR AMMO CAPACITY IN ALL WEAPONS.
2. Obviously, carry each type of weapon, except for pistols (they suck).
3. Know the lay of the land to exploit the AI.
4. You should probably use Lilith. She's the best for this.
5. When your health is low, RUN THE HELL AWAY.

I only died once against a boss the 'hardened' skull on. Could not even dent that bitch.

rc213

Aaron said:
I just beat the first Moxxi arena solo (after failing badly with a friend). So I have the following tips:

I only died once against a boss the 'hardened' skull on. Could not even dent that bitch.

I found a Pestilent Defiler with Give Sick in red that kicked major ass with Mordecai.

Also found my first Pearl weapon, A Fearsome Cyclops, red text "I have you in my eye, sir." :D

Zertez

Aaron said:

Hell-Burbia isnt too bad solo. There is a set of boxes to the left of the stage looking at it. You can use the boxes to climb on top of a couple buildings. You can snipe up here and avoid most of the damage from the Horde waves. If you have a rocket launcher, you can take out the Horde wave and the skags.

Angelic Ruins is the toughest to solo. For the Horde wave kite them around the giant circle of the arena. On the Badass wave, stick back and let the sides thin each other out. This is very important on the Badass wave that has Guardians and Lance troops.

The Gully can be tough at times, but overall it isnt that bad. Use the high ground to your advantage and dont get caught on the tower in the center. The tower is tempting, but you will be a sitting duck on Gun/Badass wave. Enemies can hit you on the tower from about every spot in the arena. Use the Portal up top and on the bottom to your advantage. Most enemies can not use it, so you can go back and forth to thin out the horde wave. Dont wait too long to use the portal. Ive taken damage even though I was through the portal, and I was SOL finding a mob for my second wind.

Not sure how many people are trying the arenas solo, but Ive cleared them several times. I dont want to write a book, but I have a few more tips, if people want them.

Booshka

NullPointer said:

There is a difference between Submit Player Feedback and File Complaint, in your case, you want to file a complaint for cheating or modified content. Player Reviews are just for avoiding players based on how they play or communicate online. Player Reviews only effect you and the other player and Microsoft doesn't look into the matter.

Complaints, on the other hand, are reviewed by Microsoft and actions are taken accordingly. The effectiveness of filing a complaint is hit and miss though, sometimes nothing will happen, other times they'll get banned within a day or so.

So how long do you have to play before this gets good? I started it today and so far I'm finding it pretty poor - primarily due to having pissweak weapons. Is this just down to blind chance?

Aaron

Zertez said:
The Gully can be tough at times, but overall it isnt that bad. Use the high ground to your advantage and dont get caught on the tower in the center. The tower is tempting, but you will be a sitting duck on Gun/Badass wave. Enemies can hit you on the tower from about every spot in the arena. Use the Portal up top and on the bottom to your advantage. Most enemies can not use it, so you can go back and forth to thin out the horde wave. Dont wait too long to use the portal. Ive taken damage even though I was through the portal, and I was SOL finding a mob for my second wind.
Actually, I beat the Gully. Didn't realize it was the third, seemed easiest. Didn't know about the portal either, but since the map is divided in upper and lower halves with a single choke, I found it easy to stay in the upper portion, killing anything that spawns there, checking the choke for anyone coming up, and hunting down the rest. Horde was a bit of a problem, but I'd usually lead them on a circular chase, shooting all the while.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Any of you fellas want to hop on and help me get the Thunderdome achievement?

JeanJule

Banned
I had my first encounter with modded items this week. First was a rocket launcher of a friend that fired so many projectiles that the game went down to about 5fps. That was before I had heard about mods, so I just thought that it was weird Gearbox let this weapon break the game so badly.
The next day, the same friend came up to me and said he had a shield that would give me money. I was like; "wtf?", but I gave it a go. The trick was to place it in your inventory and sell it to the vendor, over and over again (it would not leave the inventory), for insane amounts of money. Shield also went up to around 20k.
Then I started to worry, as the shield would take all the fun out of the game. So I tried to drop the shield. No luck. Aaaarrrrgh. Even un-equipping did not work. Pretty much the whole party had picked up the item by that point and we were all freaking out. We finally managed to drop the item, log out/in and the item was gone.

I will tell you: there were lots of swearwords involved in the whole process, as was panic. We were all scared that Gearbox would kick us from this (awesome) game.

Weird thing: on the Gearbox forums, people are actively discussing modding the 360 version. It is apparently quite easy. There are even easy to use tools for it!

Tip: if someone in your party says he/she has an AWESOME weapon, thread lightly. Check the stats and use common sense. If it looks too good to be true, it always is.

What are your opinions on modding the 360 version?

Since it's not quite an MMO, I don't see how Gearbox would care if there were modded weapons. In fact, I hope there are weapon mods out soon for the PC. Well, different mods. Maybe a flamer thrower or something.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Since it's not quite an MMO, I don't see how Gearbox would care if there were modded weapons. In fact, I hope there are weapon mods out soon for the PC. Well, different mods. Maybe a flamer thrower or something.
Rocket Daze plz.

JeanJule

Banned
In the booklet that comes with the game (360) it states:
(h)Reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, prepare derivative works based on or otherwise modify the Software, in whole or in part;

I might just be a regular teacher, no lawyer, but I think the above states that modifying the game is not allowed. Maybe on pc they could be more loose with this, as modding is done to many games. On the 360 however, mods are normally not allowed (L4D springs to mind). Of course, I do not know everything about modding on the 360, just think it should be banned.

Ashour

So do I get decent XP on my second play through from the get go? I'm almost done from all the side missions in my 1st play but I still need allot of XP to reach level 50 (I'm now at 37).

Zertez

Exp on the second playthrough is about the same rate as the first. I normally hit 50 around New Haven. I usually do all of the quests though.

Modders have been around on the 360 for a little while now. I have seen some crazy guns. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but Gearbox needs to give us new weapons, mods, class decks etc. In a lootwhore game, Gearbox has been slacking in the loot department with the DLC. Maybe a set of guns that give some kind of bonus or proc for carrying 3 guns of that set. All of it doesnt need to be overpowered, maybe something fun or maybe a utility to help with soloing. A gun that has a random chance to disintegrate trash mobs in one hit.

I still enjoy killing things at 50, but the loot has been the biggest disappointment. The gun creation system shouldnt be that hard to bump. I would buy dlc if it all had was a level increase and better guns.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Dr Zhivago said:
So how long do you have to play before this gets good? I started it today and so far I'm finding it pretty poor - primarily due to having pissweak weapons. Is this just down to blind chance?

If you're not enjoying it by levels 15-20 then it might not be for you.

Steroyd

What is the max level for adding an elemental to the scorpio turret? I really don't want to sell a spare I've got only to find out the limit increases on playthrough 3.

I usually don't whore trophies damn this game, but how do you get the My Brother is an Italian Plumber trophy?

Billen

Banned
I would be playingthis if Zavvi ever got their thumbs out and hooked me up with my ordered copy. Three people made three separate orders at the same day, none have arrived.

I want to play this game so bad. What the hell is wrong with Zavvi?

Steroyd

Billen said:
I would be playingthis if Zavvi ever got their thumbs out and hooked me up with my ordered copy. Three people made three separate orders at the same day, none have arrived.

I want to play this game so bad. What the hell is wrong with Zavvi?

When did you order?

Zaavi are slow I ordered Borderlands from Zavvi the same day I ordered Cross Edge from shopto and Super Smash Brothers Wii from Amazon both came days before I got my copy of Borderlands, it sums it up when their delivery service is slower than Amazon's super saver delivery.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I went ahead and sold my pc version and bought the ps3 version. This time I plan on getting online and also buying the dlc.

JeanJule said:
I had my first encounter with modded items this week. First was a rocket launcher of a friend that fired so many projectiles that the game went down to about 5fps. That was before I had heard about mods, so I just thought that it was weird Gearbox let this weapon break the game so badly.
The next day, the same friend came up to me and said he had a shield that would give me money. I was like; "wtf?", but I gave it a go. The trick was to place it in your inventory and sell it to the vendor, over and over again (it would not leave the inventory), for insane amounts of money. Shield also went up to around 20k.
Then I started to worry, as the shield would take all the fun out of the game. So I tried to drop the shield. No luck. Aaaarrrrgh. Even un-equipping did not work. Pretty much the whole party had picked up the item by that point and we were all freaking out. We finally managed to drop the item, log out/in and the item was gone.

I will tell you: there were lots of swearwords involved in the whole process, as was panic. We were all scared that Gearbox would kick us from this (awesome) game.

Weird thing: on the Gearbox forums, people are actively discussing modding the 360 version. It is apparently quite easy. There are even easy to use tools for it!

Tip: if someone in your party says he/she has an AWESOME weapon, thread lightly. Check the stats and use common sense. If it looks too good to be true, it always is.

What are your opinions on modding the 360 version?

Helk, you need a modded weapon to beat a second playthrough level 50 Mad Moxxi's 20 round extravaganza, so tought to beat. and takes way to long.

Just spent 6.5 hours trying to do the twenty round challenge in the gully with two friends and we finally turned it off in frustration. It's hard enough as it is with the stat buffs that the enemies get. Throwing things like no accuracy and no shield is such a b.s. way to make it more difficult. These greater challenges are way too many rounds for this DLC to be useful to more than 1% of the people who buy it. If you're on the fence about buying it, I would say avoid it. You need at least 5 hours of uninterrupted time for each "greater" challenge. It doesn't let you take breaks either, which is insane.

Aaron

My problem with Moxxi is it does so little to change up things you just get bored. Each round is the same set up, and the arenas don't vary enough to keep that interesting. Why aren't the waves randomized? Why can't you create custom rounds? Why is their no true challenge hardcore arenas? The longer ones are just pure bullshit. They're not challenging, other than holding your interest for so long.

It's a shame that it's generally a good concept, but there's so much they could have done with it that they just don't. I'm actually frustrated with how little they do with this when it was something that could have been utterly amazing. I don't want to slog through four near identical rounds to get to an actual challenge, Gearbox. That's not fun.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Steroyd said:
What is the max level for adding an elemental to the scorpio turret? I really don't want to sell a spare I've got only to find out the limit increases on playthrough 3.

I usually don't whore trophies damn this game, but how do you get the My Brother is an Italian Plumber trophy?
6, when you hit 50 go kill those explodey crawly bugs

Zertez

PhlivoSong said:
Just spent 6.5 hours trying to do the twenty round challenge in the gully with two friends and we finally turned it off in frustration. It's hard enough as it is with the stat buffs that the enemies get. Throwing things like no accuracy and no shield is such a b.s. way to make it more difficult. These greater challenges are way too many rounds for this DLC to be useful to more than 1% of the people who buy it. If you're on the fence about buying it, I would say avoid it. You need at least 5 hours of uninterrupted time for each "greater" challenge. It doesn't let you take breaks either, which is insane.
Hard to disagree. 20 rounds is ridiculous and Im curious to see how many people get through the whole thing. Im sure a few will just to say they did it, but I dont see many sane people doing it. At least when you do the challenges in co-op, if you die you can jump back in and not have to start over solo.

Aaron said:
My problem with Moxxi is it does so little to change up things you just get bored. Each round is the same set up, and the arenas don't vary enough to keep that interesting. Why aren't the waves randomized? Why can't you create custom rounds? Why is their no true challenge hardcore arenas? The longer ones are just pure bullshit. They're not challenging, other than holding your interest for so long.

It's a shame that it's generally a good concept, but there's so much they could have done with it that they just don't. I'm actually frustrated with how little they do with this when it was something that could have been utterly amazing. I don't want to slog through four near identical rounds to get to an actual challenge, Gearbox. That's not fun.
Even though the "borrowed" the idea from other games, the concept works well in Borderlands. It is a lot of fun at first, but the greater arenas drain any fun out of the dlc. They could have come up with a lot more variety in the waves to keep things interesting. They could have had a hellfire wave with fire weapons/enemies, ride the lightning wave, down with disease wave, a beastmaster wave etc. There is many ways they could have gone.

With the lack of variety and still no new weapons, it feels like they phoned in this dlc. It seems like they worked on the dlc for a couple hours and said lets copy and paste everything, but added a lot more rounds. It sucks because the humor, concepts, arena design are all solid, but they didnt bother to tune or flesh out the ideas more than a few hours.

I think Im going to pass on the next few dlc unless it gets great reviews. Kind of a shame to see the direction the game is going or the lack of attention the game gets from Gearbox developers, considering it was my GotY. Sad thing is even with the bs round number of the greater challenges, I would still fight my way through them, if they would have added some nice new weapons for playing them or completing them. Hell maybe they did, but Ill never know because Im not going to sit through the 4 hours plus to finish one.

Billen

Banned
Steroyd said:
When did you order?

Zaavi are slow I ordered Borderlands from Zavvi the same day I ordered Cross Edge from shopto and Super Smash Brothers Wii from Amazon both came days before I got my copy of Borderlands, it sums it up when their delivery service is slower than Amazon's super saver delivery.

Well, I just got my copy. Ordered it on the 13th of december. There is one other game I still haven't recived that I ordered months ago. Zavvi seems to be the russian roulette equivalent of game companies online.

But now I'll start Borderlands. Impressions follows soon after this :D

EDIT: Been laying it for a while now, seems to be a great game actually.

PhlivoSong said:

There is a fairly easy way to get through this. My friends and I are going with this... One friend who will host the game is using a rank 23 player. The other 3 of us are 50s... The enemies are all 22 and we have flown through each area. Still takes over 2 hours for each of the long challenges but its so much easier. We have yet to die once..

Just a tip in case others are struggling with this.

I have also heard that people are doing the same thing with a split screen. Fire up a low rank (must be at least 10) and then have your second higher ranked player be your main profile. Takes a long time but you can just let the one controller sit or hide the character and kill all the lower ranked with your higher character.

MDSLKTR

I swear a week ago i was checking the trade in value in order to get rid of this game asap while it was worth something. Then i gave it another chance and now i'm borderlands whore. I think it might actually be one of the few dungeon-loot games that i'm gonna replay a lot (like baldur's gate DA) and i didn't even play online yet.
If they correct the (many) flaws for the sequel then it could be huge... very huge.

Ten-Song said:
Jump on a skag.
I did it the hard way, jumped on a random bandit (one with no shield), doing 4 points of damage per jump :lol the guy wouldn't stay put, I should have realized jumping on a bug/skag was easier. Took me a while. :D

Wizman23

Banned
Played some of the new DLC this weekend. Am I the only one sick and tired of hoard modes in games? Hopefully hoard modes in games die a quick death. Even with 4 players it got old fast. Just like Gears 2 did, and just like ODST did.

onken

Having a blast with this game, level 25 and destroying all with my 285 damage revolver.

One question, those additional stats in the description, are they on top of the listed stats or already incorporate? E.g. a gun has listed damage of 10 + 50%, does the gun do 15 damage or 10?

e~ apparently it's included, makes sense

How long do the 20 round deathmatches take in the DLC?

We attempted it for ~1.5 hrs and got to level 7 (albeit all dying a few times). How long does it take for other people?

FunkyPajamas said:
I did it the hard way, jumped on a random bandit (one with no shield), doing 4 points of damage per jump :lol the guy wouldn't stay put, I should have realized jumping on a bug/skag was easier. Took me a while. :D

I'll do you one better, I got that achievement on a bully. :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Major Williams said:

We attempted it for ~1.5 hrs and got to level 7 (albeit all dying a few times). How long does it take for other people?

Depending on the team you're using, or if you're solo-ing, the 20 round arenas will take hours. The waves get progressively longer with more and more spawns. One of the later rounds equals the same amount of enemies as the first five rounds put together.

GuardianE said:
Depending on the team you're using, or if you're solo-ing, the 20 round arenas will take hours. The waves get progressively longer with more and more spawns. One of the later rounds equals the same amount of enemies as the first five rounds put together.
Approximately how many? So I know how long to budget and plan for...

...this is feeling like WoW to me (time-wise) blegh

Major Williams said:

Using the method I posted above it is taking us 2.5 hours per 20 rounds.

oktarb

Here's my summary of the DLC thus far.

The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned:
Great DLC. Funny, moody and just plain fun. I recommend this for character 30+ but not for end game characters.

PROs:
+ Great fun environment
+ Comedy gold. References to scooby do and L4D that killed me.
+ New enemy varieties.

CONs:
- No weapon skill increase.
- Same weapon engine - same toys.
- Zombie Brain quest is tedious and they shouldn't drop until you start the quest.

BOTTON LINE: Recommend Buying

Mad Moxxies Underdome Riot:
I love horde modes and thought this one was a clincher. Overall I enjoy it but it has serious flaws.

PROs:
+ Great vibe. I want to kill shit in this zone.
+ Extra skill points
+ Good fro working on co-op builds.

CONs:
- Bank is not shared across characters. Why oh why?
- No randomixes enemiy waves. Become very predicable.
- Greater Arena are crazy long for no good reason.
- Weapon drops are shit. Again same wepon engine. After surviving a massive wave of shit, I should not find a white piece of junk pistol. I can get far far better loot by grinding New Haven on the 3rd play through. They seriously need to work on there reward escalation.

BOTTON LINE: Recommend Buying only if you simply must have it.

oktarb said:
BOTTOM LINE: Recommend Buying only if you simply must have it.
Now you tell me. :p

Agreed on all points about the Zombie DLC. Every single aspect of it, from story to characters, to the setting, to the hidden jokes, and even to the achievements. It all makes you crack a smile. That is, when the game isn't trying to kill you and butcher your remains that is.

And as far as Horde modes go, I love em. They're pure combat sandbox intensity with nothing else weighing down the experience. I just wish they weren't as half-assed as they usually are (see ODST). Left 4 Dead nails it. Gears 2 just needs to encourage more movement around the map, say by randomly switching out where ammo/weapons spawn, and having existing spawns deplete after a time.

CrazedArabMan said:
I'll do you one better, I got that achievement on a bully. :)
:lol holy jumping leprechauns, man, you're insane! :lol I am not worthy of quoting your posts :lol
oktarb said:
Here's my summary of the DLC thus far.

The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned:
Great DLC. Funny, moody and just plain fun. I recommend this for character 30+ but not for end game characters.

PROs:
+ Great fun environment
+ Comedy gold. References to scooby do and L4D that killed me.
+ New enemy varieties.

CONs:
- No weapon skill increase.
- Same weapon engine - same toys.
- Zombie Brain quest is tedious and they shouldn't drop until you start the quest.

BOTTON LINE: Recommend Buying

Mad Moxxies Underdome Riot:
I love horde modes and thought this one was a clincher. Overall I enjoy it but it has serious flaws.

PROs:
+ Great vibe. I want to kill shit in this zone.
+ Extra skill points
+ Good fro working on co-op builds.

CONs:
- Bank is not shared across characters. Why oh why?
- No randomixes enemiy waves. Become very predicable.
- Greater Arena are crazy long for no good reason.
- Weapon drops are shit. Again same wepon engine. After surviving a massive wave of shit, I should not find a white piece of junk pistol. I can get far far better loot by grinding New Haven on the 3rd play through. They seriously need to work on there reward escalation.

BOTTON LINE: Recommend Buying only if you simply must have it.
Great post, I agree with everything you said re: the first DLC, and I would also add that the length of the DLC is (in my opinion) perfect, it doesn't overstay its welcome and it's a welcome change of pace. Something I didn't enjoy re: the zombie DLC is that you always start from the same spot in jakob's cove (or so it seems), so you may have yo traverse a lot of ground depending on your last location (if you save/quit, that is). It's still fun to fight against seemingly neverending undead hordes, but there are some dead spots (no pun intended) and it may get boring if you're walking through the whole map for the umpteenth time.

I've yet to buy the second DLC, so I can't comment on that, but I think I'm going to skip for now. I'm just about 20% in my second playthrough and I think I'll put the game down for a while after I reach level 50/get all trophies. It's been real fun, though, I'll be there day one when the sequel lands.

Top Bottom