• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

grumble said:
Screw that stuff, get a bouncing betty corrosive grenade, it just destroys usually-tough enemies. You never need to heal at all!
Hunters get a class mod which regens energy all the time (team energy, no less), so I never found those healing grenades useful. I usually go with corrosive or fire/explosive, depending on the enemy type I'm facing (Zombies immune against corrosive damage, etc).

Now that I think about it, a quick way to use healing items would be a welcome addition to a sequel. I hated having to go into the backpack to heal myself in the middle of a fight (especially in co-op).

Anyone ele have trouble with Circle of Slaughter round 3? I die and when I go back into the arena only 1 badass and maybe 1 or 2 bandits spawn. Once I kill them, nothing else spawns and I'm still locked in the arena. This happened about three times to me last night. Any ideas?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
TheBrain76 said:
Anyone ele have trouble with Circle of Slaughter round 3? I die and when I go back into the arena only 1 badass and maybe 1 or 2 bandits spawn. Once I kill them, nothing else spawns and I'm still locked in the arena. This happened about three times to me last night. Any ideas?
Glitched.

Off/On try again.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd like to thank Gearbox and Steam yet again for the unavoidable (unless I uninstall or disable patching entirely) large download updating Borderlands for DLC I yet again will not be buying. :/

I will also not be pirating it, thank you. It sounds silly, but I almost feel like I want to play the main game some more, but the DLC updates have annoyed me where I don't really feel like it.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey i'm trying to finish this game out with my little brother but he got a nasty virus and had to reinstall.. Does anyone have a lvl 25-29 Hunter that can hook me up w/ their save file? It can be any class really, as long as its about lvl 25-30.

THANKS SO MUCH IF YOU ARE YOU WILLING

Insaniac

nilbog21 said:
Hey i'm trying to finish this game out with my little brother but he got a nasty virus and had to reinstall.. Does anyone have a lvl 25-29 Hunter that can hook me up w/ their save file? It can be any class really, as long as its about lvl 25-30.

THANKS SO MUCH IF YOU ARE YOU WILLING

i can quickly boost you to level 25-29 if you want

EzLink

Banned
Ugh, I didn't realize I would have to grind in this game. I've been doing most of the sidequests available thus far, but I just went to Sledge's hideout (level 12 Siren) and got fucking decimated. Spent about an hour in there, died so many times just going through it that I wasted most of my money, and then when I got to the level 15 roid rage psycho I got my ass handed to me. I eventually figured out you could respawn and not enter the arena and pick him off that way. I had him down to about 1/5 health left when two psychos come out of fucking nowhere and destroy me. Then I didn't have enough ammo to try that again so I bailed out. Guess I'll try a few more sidequests and then wander around shooting stuff till I'm level 16 or something. Frusterating

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
EzLink said:
Ugh, I didn't realize I would have to grind in this game. I've been doing most of the sidequests available thus far, but I just went to Sledge's hideout (level 12 Siren) and got fucking decimated. Spent about an hour in there, died so many times just going through it that I wasted most of my money, and then when I got to the level 15 roid rage psycho I got my ass handed to me. I eventually figured out you could respawn and not enter the arena and pick him off that way. I had him down to about 1/5 health left when two psychos come out of fucking nowhere and destroy me. Then I didn't have enough ammo to try that again so I bailed out. Guess I'll try a few more sidequests and then wander around shooting stuff till I'm level 16 or something. Frusterating
It's probably your guns more than anything else. Try doing some runs. Save and reload wherever treasure chests are and hope for the best.

I have 2 level 50's on 360 and a level 30 on PC. I seriously can't wait to get my 360 back so I can get frustrated at Moxxi's Underdome. I've been playing alot on my offline 360 and getting some good ass loot. I have 10 or so legendary weapons all together now.

EzLink

Banned
Jangaroo said:
It's probably your guns more than anything else. Try doing some runs. Save and reload wherever treasure chests are and hope for the best.

Wow, good advice. I never would have thought to do that, and my guns are pretty piss poor. I'll try it out and hopefully will conquer that fucking roid raged psycho later tonight. Thanks!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
EzLink said:
Wow, good advice. I never would have thought to do that, and my guns are pretty piss poor. I'll try it out and hopefully will conquer that fucking roid raged psycho later tonight. Thanks!
Yeah levels aren't really that important. Skills are nice and all, but your guns will always be the ones dishing out the most damage in the game. And remember, always go with elemental weapons if you can. Make sure they have at least higher elemental chance and 2x in it's stat box.

This game is so good. I wish there was a way to see what % of the game I have completed? I'm playing on PS3 am I just missing this somewhere? Im level 17 right now.

EzLink

Banned
Nice, I leveled up a couple times, got a much better shield, and a badass electric shotgun and took down the roid rage psycho without dying. Onwards to sledge!

Have they announced any more plans for new DLC?

Also, 2 achievements away from all 60 achievements!

Just got some modified weapons from a random person coming in my XBL lobby. Will I get banned for having these items? They are fun, but completely unbalanced haha.

Got done with my 2nd playthrough. Did the zombie island also and the first rounds of Madd Maxxi's. Now I'm reading that the "larger" versions are a chore. wtf?

Do I need to do all 3 of the larger verison of the Maxxi Dome to get the 2nd skill point?

What's the best way to get epic loot? On the 2nd playthough we just rushed through the main story line. There doesn't seem to be a 3rd playthrough so I assume we just do sidequests in the 2nd playthrough and hope for drops?

What's the best Assault Rifle you've come across on the 360 version?

Ultimo hombre said:
Got done with my 2nd playthrough. Did the zombie island also and the first rounds of Madd Maxxi's. Now I'm reading that the "larger" versions are a chore. wtf?

Do I need to do all 3 of the larger verison of the Maxxi Dome to get the 2nd skill point?

What's the best way to get epic loot? On the 2nd playthough we just rushed through the main story line. There doesn't seem to be a 3rd playthrough so I assume we just do sidequests in the 2nd playthrough and hope for drops?

What's the best Assault Rifle you've come across on the 360 version?

MY best Non-Modded rifle (360):

AR590 Glorious OGRE

- Level Requirement: 48 -
Damage: 244
Accuracy: 86.7
Fire Rate: 12.5
Clip Size: 69
Elemental: Explosion X4
Chance to Cause Explosions
Ogre SMASH!
+45 Magazine Size
+67% Recoil Reduction
+78% Dmg
Its a Beast, has a scope, and has a high chance to cause explosions

And the Best HellFire SMG I have, and its a beast compared to others:

HX 540 C Combustion HellFire
-LEvel: 48 -
Damage: 159
Accuracy: 93.5
Clip Size: 55
Elemental: Fire X4
Highly Effective vs Flesh
Chance to light enemies on fire
We don't need no water
3.9x Weapon Zoom
Very High Elemental Effect Chance

:D

What are yours?

benjipwns

Banned
Blizzard said:
I'd like to thank Gearbox and Steam yet again for the unavoidable (unless I uninstall or disable patching entirely) large download updating Borderlands for DLC I yet again will not be buying. :/

I will also not be pirating it, thank you. It sounds silly, but I almost feel like I want to play the main game some more, but the DLC updates have annoyed me where I don't really feel like it.
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.2.0
Stealth update?
EzLink said:
Isn't Level 12 like three levels below the recommended level to take on sledge? It tells you how easy/hard the missions will be at your current level. Do a bunch of easy Bounty Board ones.

Hammer24

Banned
I downloaded the DLC, but when I try to start it, it says "host plays another version" and kicks me back to the lobby... :-(
Any ideas?

Major Williams said:

We don't need no water
3.9x Weapon Zoom

What are yours?

that is pretty much my go to SMG. That thing is a beast if your a Siren.

Ashour said:
So is Madd Maxxi's good for leveling up? I still need 7 levels to reach 50.
It's terrible for leveling, or anything productive really.

It doesn't give XP, weapon proficiency, and gives really lame weapon drops and a few achievements.

If you want to power level, I can get you to a 50 in ~15-20 minutes if you're a 42. A few runthroughs of the Eridian Promontory will level you up in no time. If you want, send me a FR (GT on my profile).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Major Williams said:
Have they announced any more plans for new DLC?

Also, 2 achievements away from all 60 achievements!

Just got some modified weapons from a random person coming in my XBL lobby. Will I get banned for having these items? They are fun, but completely unbalanced haha.

No, you won't get banned. They're just very very lame. I'd also be a bit cautious, since it can cause bugs, glitches, and slowdowns in game. Usually nothing gamebreaking/characterbreaking but there are exceptions with a few mods.

It appears that Gearbox may be working towards a solution of removing modded weapons via a patch, which would be fantastic.

EzLink

Banned
I just took down sledge... about what percentage complete am I at? This game is awesome but I have a feeling it might drag on a little long (which is fine, I'm just curious if it does or not)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
EzLink said:
I just took down sledge... about what percentage complete am I at? This game is awesome but I have a feeling it might drag on a little long (which is fine, I'm just curious if it does or not)

You're maybe 1/3 the way through.... maybe. Depends how many side quests you've done.

Major Williams said:
MY best Non-Modded rifle (360):

AR590 Glorious OGRE

- Level Requirement: 48 -
Damage: 244
Accuracy: 86.7
Clip Size: 69
Elemental: Explosion X4
Chance to Cause Explosions
Ogre SMASH!
+45 Magazine Size
+67% Recoil Reduction
+78% Dmg
Its a Beast, has a scope, and has a high chance to cause explosions

We don't need no water
3.9x Weapon Zoom

What are yours?

Damn :(

I'm stuck using a Sniper Rifle since my CR's suck so much but my sniper owns.

Damage ~ 735
4x Explosive damage
98.5% accuracy

It kicks ass but your AR sounds freakin awesome. Where did you find it? 3rd playthrough? I bought the above sniper in Zombie Island.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ultimo hombre said:

Damage ~ 735
4x Explosive damage
98.5% accuracy

It kicks ass but your AR sounds freakin awesome. Where did you find it? 3rd playthrough? I bought the above sniper in Zombie Island.

Ogres are great. They're arguably the best CR's in the game. Probably the best CR Legendaries anyway. You can get them in any chests, but they tend to be rarer since they're an Atlas weapon. They're Atlas, legendary, and machine guns don't appear in vendors for some reason, which makes them a little harder to find than a lot of guns.

Your sniper sounds similar to a Torgue Cobra, which is a fantastic sniper rifle.

Ultimo hombre said:

Damage ~ 735
4x Explosive damage
98.5% accuracy

Awesome sniper, Hombre! what's the rate of fire on that thing? I usually tend to sacrifice a bit of power if it means I can get a rate of fire above 1.2, but man, I wouldn't mind going 0.8 for that kind of power. I have a 509dmg sniper with no elemental damage (hunter here), and I've been looking for a replacement for a while (just starting second playthrough).

FunkyPajamas said:
Awesome sniper, Hombre! what's the rate of fire on that thing? I usually tend to sacrifice a bit of power if it means I can get a rate of fire above 1.2, but man, I wouldn't mind going 0.8 for that kind of power. I have a 509dmg sniper with no elemental damage (hunter here), and I've been looking for a replacement for a while (just starting second playthrough).

I'll check the fire rate when i get home. I can fire it like a semi automatic though just tap tap tap tap.

Nothing compared to my shotty:

Level (45ish, can't remember)
Damage: 244x12 (!!!!)
Accuracy: 11.2% (Just means I have to get up close and personal, much more fun that way).
No ELemental, but who cares cause its base damage with 100% hitting at point blank is just under 3000. Largest actual damage I've noticed (hard to see when you get that close) in one shot was over 8000.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have a Savage Masher that I can snipe with or get close with:

274*7
80% accuracy w/scope
1.0 fire rate

Spread's so small, I'm pretty much guaranteed to do full damage wherever I put it.

GuardianE said:
No, you won't get banned. They're just very very lame. I'd also be a bit cautious, since it can cause bugs, glitches, and slowdowns in game. Usually nothing gamebreaking/characterbreaking but there are exceptions with a few mods.

It appears that Gearbox may be working towards a solution of removing modded weapons via a patch, which would be fantastic.
Honestly, modded weapons were the most fun part about doing Madd Moxxi's underdome... Sure the framerate sucked at times when we were all firing, but its fun to watch the bodies pop with the 20,000+ damage rifle I have.

To the weapons, if you want me to drop the CR for you, I can :D

Also, I have an awesome semi-auto Sniper that fires super fast.

Dmg: 590
Fire rate: 4.3
Clip: 6

It is fun!

StopMakingSense said:
Nothing compared to my shotty:

Level (45ish, can't remember)
Damage: 244x12 (!!!!)
Accuracy: 11.2% (Just means I have to get up close and personal, much more fun that way).
No ELemental, but who cares cause its base damage with 100% hitting at point blank is just under 3000. Largest actual damage I've noticed (hard to see when you get that close) in one shot was over 8000.

I have a shotty that is beastly:

Damage: 286x12
Clip: 12
Fire rate: 1.4
Accuracy: 38%
It is a beast, and seems like its a bit better than yours. Some folks showed me where to look for good loot :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Major Williams said:
Honestly, modded weapons were the most fun part about doing Madd Moxxi's underdome... Sure the framerate sucked at times when we were all firing, but its fun to watch the bodies pop with the 20,000+ damage rifle I have.

To the weapons, if you want me to drop the CR for you, I can :D

Also, I have an awesome semi-auto Sniper that fires super fast.

Dmg: 590
Fire rate: 4.3

It is fun!

What are your best weapons here GAF?

Yeah, to each his own. I don't like cheating through my games, so I wouldn't cheat on Mad Moxxi. I also can't stand it when someone with infinite shield or that retarded modded hellfire bitch lags up my entire game for no reason. They get booted immediately if they refuse to stop using it. But if that's more fun for people, then more power to them. At least they'll continue playing the game where they otherwise wouldn't.

In addition to my masher, the gun that does the most damage for me is probably my Double Anarchy SMG:
108 X 4 damage
40 accuracy
12.5 fire rate
58 clip size

Basically works almost like an incredibly high speed shotgun. It empties the entire clip in 3 seconds. I have SMG ammo regen, so I never have to worry about running out.

Plus, with proficiency and Mercenary mod, I get +102% damage, +106% accuracy, and +40% fire rate on it. Pretty sweet. I switch off between that and my Hellfire for the Siren mostly.

GuardianE said:
Yeah, to each his own. I don't like cheating through my games, so I wouldn't cheat on Mad Moxxi. I also can't stand it when someone with infinite shield or that retarded modded hellfire bitch lags up my entire game for no reason. They get booted immediately if they refuse to stop using it. But if that's more fun for people, then more power to them. At least they'll continue playing the game where they otherwise wouldn't.

In addition to my masher, the gun that does the most damage for me is probably my Double Anarchy SMG:
108 X 4 damage
40 accuracy
12.5 fire rate
58 clip size

Basically works almost like an incredibly high speed shotgun. It empties the entire clip in 3 seconds. I have SMG ammo regen, so I never have to worry about running out.

Plus, with proficiency and Mercenary mod, I get +102% damage, +106% accuracy, and +40% fire rate on it. Pretty sweet. I switch off between that and my Hellfire for the Siren mostly.
BTW, all of the weapons I'm listing here are legit weapons, all modded weapons I'm not listing because they are retarded strong.

My double Anarchy SMG is a bit stronger, and I've had to ditch a few of them along the way to finally find this one:

DMG: 146x4
Clip: 54
Fire rate: 14.5

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Major Williams said:
BTW, all of the weapons I'm listing here are legit weapons, all modded weapons I'm not listing because they are retarded strong.

My double Anarchy SMG is a bit stronger, and I've had to ditch a few of them along the way to finally find this one:

That's a sweet one. I've been looking for a replacement model for forever, but either they have slightly lower fire rate or slightly less power than the one I have. I'd need a full upgrade to ditch the one I currently have.

I've pretty much given up, and am mostly farming just to get some version of all the Legendaries.

Ashour

Major Williams said:
It's terrible for leveling, or anything productive really.

It doesn't give XP, weapon proficiency, and gives really lame weapon drops and a few achievements.

If you want to power level, I can get you to a 50 in ~15-20 minutes if you're a 42. A few runthroughs of the Eridian Promontory will level you up in no time. If you want, send me a FR (GT on my profile).
I see. Thanks for the offer but I'm on PS3 :|

Major Williams said:
Damage: 286x12
Clip: 12
Fire rate: 1.4
Accuracy: 38%
It is a beast, and seems like its a bit better than yours. Some folks showed me where to look for good loot :D

Damn, that's a hot ass shotgun. A good bit stronger than mine plus you can use it farther out. ALso mine only has a 3 shot clip :lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
alright I'm having trouble with the latest DLC. whenever I go to the fast travel and get the the dome it loads forever. I walked away and left it for 30min and it was still going. Any solutions?

Lord Phol

Major Williams said:

Those kind of SMGs are pretty much the superior weapons in the game, and makes everything cake-easy. Kind of what ruined the experience for me when I found out :/.
Hope they focus a bit more on balance and variety in the sequel.

wenis said:
alright I'm having trouble with the latest DLC. whenever I go to the fast travel and get the the dome it loads forever. I walked away and left it for 30min and it was still going. Any solutions?
Yeah, try installing the game to your hard drive first. If the load still hangs, try deleting the DLC and re-DL it. If it still doesn't work, come back and I'll have a few more solutions.

Lord Phol said:
Those kind of SMGs are pretty much the superior weapons in the game, and makes everything cake-easy. Kind of what ruined the experience for me when I found out :/.
Hope they focus a bit more on balance and variety in the sequel.
Meh, I honestly don't think it ruins the game. Spend enough time in a game and you should have some awesome weapons. And besides, it still takes me more than a clip to bring down the badasses.

The Assault Rifle OGRE I have is absolutely insane, and everyone's Hellfire that I've seen so far in-game (at least 6 others) have been lesser than mine by a lot. The hard work of looting should get a payoff IMO. I want more weapons than these paltry offerings though.

OH BTW, seeing how a lot of the weapons I have seem to be better than some of the folks on here, I'll post my rocket launcher too - tell me if you have better!

-Forgot the name-
Dmg: 1667 x 2
Fire dmg x4
-High accuracy and ~1.2 Fire rate-
Basically 100% chance elemental effect with rockets (in my experience, and it has a Red title in the description).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Major Williams said:
Yeah, try installing the game to your hard drive first. If the load still hangs, try deleting the DLC and re-DL it. If it still doesn't work, come back and I'll have a few more solutions.

Meh, I honestly don't think it ruins the game. Spend enough time in a game and you should have some awesome weapons. And besides, it still takes me more than a clip to bring down the badasses.

The Assault Rifle OGRE I have is absolutely insane, and everyone's Hellfire that I've seen so far in-game (at least 6 others) have been lesser by a lot. The hard work of looting should get a payoff IMO. I want more weapons than these paltry offerings though.

OH BTW, seeing how a lot of the weapons I have seem to be better than some of the folks on here, I'll post my rocket launcher too - tell me if you have better!

-Forgot the name-
Dmg: 1667 x 2
Fire dmg x4
-High accuracy and ~1.2 Fire rate-
Basically 100% chance elemental effect with rockets (in my experience, and it has a Red title in the description).

What is the red text? All rocket launchers have a 100% chance elemental effect. Red text on other guns won't necessarily mean a 100% elemental chance effect unless it's a Legendary that always has that element (Hellfire, Volcano, Firehawk, Crux, Orion, etc).

I have a Helix that's very close. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact damage, so I can't be sure. It's 1000+X 3, high accuracy, high velocity, high fire rate, low clip size, and X4 fire damage. Since it's a helix, the fire pattern is different, though.

GuardianE said:
What is the red text? All rocket launchers have a 100% chance elemental effect, though red text on other guns won't necessarily mean a 100% elemental chance effect unless it's a Maliwan Legendary.
Not entirely sure - I'll have to boot the game up during lunch and then I'll let you know. I glanced at it last night while playing and thought it would be fun to put up seeing how we're comparing guns.

Nice to know about the 100% elemental thing. I didn't know that with rockets. When I fire that thing though, it is awesome to see the initial damage (~2000), then 1500+ fire damage just melting off the guy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Major Williams said:
Not entirely sure - I'll have to boot the game up during lunch and then I'll let you know. I glanced at it last night while playing and thought it would be fun to put up seeing how we're comparing guns.

Nice to know about the 100% elemental thing. I didn't know that with rockets. When I fire that thing though, it is awesome to see the initial damage (~2000), then 1500+ fire damage just melting off the guy.

Well, technically you should be dealing around 3000 damage and almost 8000 damage during the DoT (daamge over time) on an equally leveled, non-resistant enemy... assuming a direct hit.

Since rocket launchers proc 100% of the time, I'm pretty sure they proc for X4 damage 100% of the time. I'm not positive since I don't use rocket launchers very often... or at all really.

There's a really informative write-up on the Gearbox forums regarding elements. Essentially, anything that's not a revolver, sniper, or rocket launcher is sort of bugged when it comes to elemental damage (they do much less, far less often than they should)... unless it's a Legendary of course.

GuardianE said:
Well, technically you should be dealing around 3000 damage and almost 8000 damage during the DoT (daamge over time) on an equally leveled, non-resistant enemy... assuming a direct hit.

Since rocket launchers proc 100% of the time, I'm pretty sure they proc for X4 damage 100% of the time. I'm not positive since I don't use rocket launchers very often... or at all really.
Ahhh yeah, I was using it in Old Haven. Those armored guys aren't the best to judge raw damage.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Major Williams said:
The Assault Rifle OGRE I have is absolutely insane, and everyone's Hellfire that I've seen so far in-game (at least 6 others) have been lesser than mine by a lot. The hard work of looting should get a payoff IMO. I want more weapons than these paltry offerings though.

Ogres are fantastic guns. I love mine. The Hellfire is still arguably more versatile, though. Ogres will do more raw bullet and elemental damage than a Hellfire, but the Hellfire's high rate of fire and DoT effect makes it easier to use in both close quarters and against long distance enemies taking cover. They're also generally more effective against enemies like the Crimson Lance and other humans/skags.

The Hellfire consistently does such absurd DoT, that the same gun does largely the same damage on different leveled enemies.

Top Bottom