• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

So as I posted earlier, after doing one of the larger Mad Moxxi things the 'proper way' online with my brother when it first came out and it taking like 8 f**king hours of pain I swore never again! It very quickly becomes not fun, its just frustrating and after a few rounds, sooooo boring.

But of course I NEEDED the achievements (love the game in general, want it complete, and I'm really OCD) so I'm doing the other 2 the low level split screen way.

Man its still boring as shit. :lol Even when all the bad guys are lvl12 it still takes a couple of hours solo.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I LOVE Borderlands, probably spent like 100 hours on it, I'm addicted. But ugh who in world figured the long arena shit would be fun???

I really enjoy it for 5 rounds, can enjoy it till 10, but after that I start growing contempt and hate.

I play FFXI and that has so much BS in it, but this takes the cake! At least FFXI usually rewards you with some sweet gear to make the BS mission worth paining through. But I can get better guns and gear checking chests in New Haven play through 2 than Mad Moxxi it seems. :|

I can't believe they thought that would be fun.

Owensboro

Posted in the meet-up thread too:

I just opened this game last night and played for a bit. Rocking a Soldier cause I liked the idea of healing people. Anyone want to play? Just message me either here or on PSN!

PSN: Owens-boro

Celcius

°Temp. member
I did the braaaaaaains sidequest last night, it didn't take as long as I thought it would.

I find it odd that the trophies for the underdome show up even though I didn't buy it. Those are the only ones I don't have :lol

glaurung

celcius said:
I did the braaaaaaains sidequest last night, it didn't take as long as I thought it would.

I find it odd that the trophies for the underdome show up even though I didn't buy it. Those are the only ones I don't have :lol
The trophies for DLC you haven't bought show up to annoy you and destroy your plat 100% game trophy rating.

No, actually they do that so that comparing to friends the percentage is accurate.

I should take some valium and drill myself through Moxxi's DLC, it is boring as hell.

otakuderek

I'm on edge about picking this up. I rented it from work once to play with a friend on Live before but something didn't feel right. Was it that I jumped into the game and he started power-leveling my character? I didn't see any cutscenes or had time to understand the combat system. Should I give it another shot GAF?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I finished the game yesterday as a Siren. I enjoyed it for the most part, but the story wasn't exactly finished. The towards the end, the game got repetitive and more of a grind than anything else.

I loved the first 75% of the game though. Just that last part was a bit of a grind.

Now that I have finished, I might jump online to help people having trouble with quests with my high level character.

JudgeN

Maybe its just me but there doesn't seem to be enough Moxxi in her DLC, get her ass off that tower and dance for me DANCE !!!!!!!!

dskillzhtown said:
I finished the game yesterday as a Siren. I enjoyed it for the most part, but the story wasn't exactly finished. The towards the end, the game got repetitive and more of a grind than anything else.

I loved the first 75% of the game though. Just that last part was a bit of a grind.
Interesting... because I felt like the end game
(starting where you head out to the big dig machine to take out Baron Flynt)
was pretty well-paced. It kept you running in and out of new environments, rather than doing a bunch of quests in the same place, as with the first part of the game. My longest continuous play session was finishing the game because of the good pacing -- I *had* to keep moving forward to see where I would end up next. I think the XP gain from those enemies in the last part of the game helped a lot too -- you start leveling a bit faster than you had been previously.

Totally agree about the story of course.

Finished it a couple of days ago, I found the last few missions quite easy with the guns I had, also I was a level 36 soldier when I finished, don't know if that's typical. Trying to finish up all the side quests now but the XP rewards seem insignificant now the main quest has finished. Loved the game but didn't really find the story engaging, that's my only gripe.

JudgeN said:
Maybe its just me but there doesn't seem to be enough Moxxi in her DLC, get her ass off that tower and dance for me DANCE !!!!!!!!

I figured she would be the last boss for arena or something cool like that, but no, just some recycled boss like King Wee Wee or some shit.

Her bewbs are wasted doing nothing. Its funny though if you're in the penalty box during the low gravity thing you can jump up to where she is and chase her round. :lol

Mad Moxxi DLC really should have been cheaper, compared to the Zombie one you can tell they didn't put any effort into it at all. Just made the bank and additional skill points as part of it because they knew people would want them a lot.

Aaron

Everything after Flynt felt like a waste. I wish the game ended there just to make it quicker to go into the second play through. Nothing interesting happens after that point at all.

Moxxi was terrible. They should release free DLC as an apology.

Psy-Phi

I enjoy Moxxi. It's simple mindless fun. Like L4D survivor mode. Only problem I have with it, is due to the game's nature, some better rewards are in order (after finishing you should get a chest that has a high chance of giving you some great weapons. Most of the crap that came from the spawner was terrible...).

Grecco

Dont know how i feel about making an expansion that doesnt give you a level but does give you a talent point to then make an expansion that does increase level cap

Really think they should have stuck to one thing and kept at it.

MrDaravon

GWX said:
Sorry if old, but it seems like the next DLC will have level cap increase, and it'll be the biggest DLC yet, via IGN.com.

Saw that at Giantbomb earlier, didn't bother pulling up the thread because I figured it would have already been old news here :lol

Dr. Ned was good (but not great), but Mad Moxxi really killed the game for my friends group. I'm cautiously optimistic about whatever the new DLC is, but they're really going to need to sell me on it this time, and I'm actually going to wait for user impressions this time -_-.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hopefully they also heard all the negative feedback from the last DLC.

I really don't want to buy it, but the completionist whore in me wants to do it - even if it means playing splitscreen for 20 hours (and Borderlands has shitty vertical split screen too, doesn't it?).

GWX

SailorDaravon said:
Dr. Ned was good (but not great), but Mad Moxxi really killed the game for my friends group. I'm cautiously optimistic about whatever the new DLC is, but they're really going to need to sell me on it this time, and I'm actually going to wait for user impressions this time -_-.

For me, it was the opposite, but I'm more of a solo player than a co-op one.
I just hope for a new setting this time around, with specific, not random-generated, loot.
Dr. Ned was nice, because it felt fresh compared to other parts of the full game, but the same old loot dissapointed me.

GWX said:
Sorry if old, but it seems like the next DLC will have level cap increase, and it'll be the biggest DLC yet, via IGN.com.
Rejoice!

As long as Gearbox keeps putting the DLC out I'll keep supporting them. I love this game.

Edit: And in case Gearbox is listening, we'd also like a shared bank, so we can easily give weapons and items to our other characters.

rc213

Maybe they will get a chance to fix the sky freaking out bug.

I will wait to see what the next piece of DLC is before purchasing Dr. Ned.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I just want the freaking bank, but it feels sick that I have to pay $10 for it. If they don't add it to the rest of the world, I'll probably avoid giving them anymore of my money.

I'm still playing this game because I love how the guns feel, and that I'm still finding different guns that I've never seen before. Today I finally found a drum loading combat rifle with 80+ accuracy. I was so happy. :lol

Pctx

Banned
So I haven't touched the game since dr. Ned after reading that moxie was a mixed bag. They should give it to people who buy the next dlc and give a discount to the people who bought it on the next dlc.

Probably LTTP here, but after buying this the other day, I feel quite bored already. Really hoping that at least the scenery changes a little!

I'm on my way to
get a key for Shep Sanders?

CozMick

Banned
I'm kinda late to the Borderlands party.

Was gonna pick this up tomorrow but just heard there are a lot of voice chat problems on the PS3 version.

Can anyone confirm if this is true and will it be fixed?

Thanks

CozMick said:
I'm kinda late to the Borderlands party.

Was gonna pick this up tomorrow but just heard there are a lot of voice chat problems on the PS3 version.

Can anyone confirm if this is true and will it be fixed?

Thanks

I experience a lot of voice problems on PS3, but it's very sporadic. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it's stuttery as hell and me and my friend has to quit playing and reboot everything.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Also lttp, game is alright sans some retarded design choices. Riding a vehicle -_- Good thing I could change shooting to r1/l1 I'd smash the disc right up if that weren't the case. Also hate how you do significant less damage to enemies that are 1 lvl above you, why the hell do you give me this damn quest then?!

I think I can see myself finishing this considering I recently tried out WoW and liked it very much.

Also, game textures loading ingame - FUCK that shit. I could install a few more GBs if that would've gotten rid of the problem. It's not as bad as the crazy shadows this gen but goddamn if it isn't annoying. Same for the kinda long load times. Just let me install 10 GBs already if I want to, give me the option

Teetris said:
Also lttp, game is alright sans some retarded design choices. Riding a vehicle -_- Good thing I could change shooting to r1/l1 I'd smash the disc right up if that weren't the case. Also hate how you do significant less damage to enemies that are 1 lvl above you, why the hell do you give me this damn quest then?!

I think I can see myself finishing this considering I recently tried out WoW and liked it very much.

Also, game textures loading ingame - FUCK that shit. I could install a few more GBs if that would've gotten rid of the problem. It's not as bad as the crazy shadows this gen but goddamn if it isn't annoying. Same for the kinda long load times. Just let me install 10 GBs already if I want to, give me the option

Install on the 360.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TheLegendary said:
Install on the 360.
Got the PS3 version for cheaps by luck, can't spend so much these days :lol

Still though, didn't think I would like the game as much as I do, which makes the little things really annoying.

Verapamil

Banned
For all it's flaws, I loved Borderlands. Played on the PS3. Mostly single-player, had a friend play local co-op with me to play through for some trophies.

Second wind is great when you're close to getting a kill (and also "I almost had him" moment-inducing).

I would recommend soldier class for a single player playthrough because of the ammo-regeneration mods in the later game.

And yes, the vehicle driving/killing sections are frustrating.

This game really works for me on several levels. First run through solo it plays like a solo MMO experience, with grind and exploration, but the nice shooting mechanics, challenges and lewt-whorishness make it worthwhile.

Then you start fucking around with different builds. Around 30th+ level you can really tailor everything - you've got a plan for your skills, and you've got the right equipment and can really be a self-reliant ass kicker.

Once you hit beat the game you can start to see tougher enemies on the second playthrough, and work your build to 50th. At 50th is where the co-op shines for me. Take some time to switch your build from a solo one to a group role-based build and enjoy the chaos of second playthrough fights with your buddies.

Only if you really love that experience will Mad Moxxie be in any way worthwhile, but it is fun, and more varied than I thought on my first run through.

I hope Gearbox can keep adding variety to the game through DLC, because so far its been a great time.

Just got this game and i love it. Right now im leveling the hunter right now (28) but while on live ive seen the siren and brick do some awesome things so im leveling one of them next

Numpt3

I know that a lot of people say that co-op is the only way to play borderlands but to be honest I have had more fun going solo. I find that every time I play it online i get wound up because everyone rushes through it as fast as they can, i like to take it slow and savor everything. :D

just started play through 2 with my hunter and am still enjoying every minute of it, looking forward to the next dlc.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
m0ngo said:
I know that a lot of people say that co-op is the only way to play borderlands but to be honest I have had more fun going solo. I find that every time I play it online i get wound up because everyone rushes through it as fast as they can, i like to take it slow and savor everything. :D
Agreed!

Ledsen

m0ngo said:

just started play through 2 with my hunter and am still enjoying every minute of it, looking forward to the next dlc.

So you're not playing with your friends then? If you could find a like-minded friend, I'm sure you'd find the co-op experience superior like I do (I'm playing with one of my best friends).

Ledsen said:
So you're not playing with your friends then? If you could find a like-minded friend, I'm sure you'd find the co-op experience superior like I do (I'm playing with one of my best friends).
Same here, played with my best friend and then two other friends joined us. It's a blast because we all know each other and nobody's in a rush to do anything, we're just enjoying the game, we all have mics and we all like to communicate and share, so it's not like we have anybody getting all the ammo or good weapons. I think the only competition we have going on is who gets the most kills. :lol

Numpt3

Ledsen said:

I guess that's my problem, none of my friends nor anyone on my friends list has the game so iv'e only ever played with random folk on live.

A little shameless weapon photo whoring.

These are just what I had in my backpack when I decided to take pictures.

All of my really rare and nice stuff is in the bank (like my 2934 damage rocket launcher)..... I really should go over and take some pictures there one of these days.

a7bfa2e2.jpg

45cea02f.jpg

82e4f094.jpg

bd234af3.jpg

6a32733e.jpg

b2a444c5.jpg

c882521c.jpg

a6954079.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
celcius said:
I still haven't come across a chimera revolver...

They're hard to come by. Legendaries are rare, but Legendaries of the more scarce manufacturers are even rarer.

Legendaries by Hyperion, Jakobs, and Atlas are real prizes. I've only ever found one Atlas Chimera.

Verapamil

Banned
glaurung said:
The trophies for DLC you haven't bought show up to annoy you and destroy your plat 100% game trophy rating.

I've done the main game and Zed, at 87%. I have a little Platinum trophy next to it.

All the Moxxi stuff is listed, but I'm not going to get the DLC.

It is all in your MIIIIIIINNNNDD.....

Flyguy

Anyone with the viral achievement for 360 willing to give it to me?

Edit: playing now if anyone is around: xxxsofakingxxx

Sanskrit

Ive played it with my mates for some time now, but it's getting really monotone.. I guess I'll have to try out the Zombie Island before giving up on Borderlands :lol

Flyguy said:
Anyone with the viral achievement for 360 willing to give it to me?

Edit: playing now if anyone is around: xxxsofakingxxx
Jump online with randoms, you're guaranteed to get it in the first 5 tries. I got it on my first. It really is viral :lol

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
didnt see it mentioned here, but the gearbox guys announced on their forums that they're releasing another DLC that will raise the level cap. they called it their 'biggest dlc yet'.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seriously it was mentioned on this page.

Anyways thanks for the bump. When I get home later this week I am going to pause my backlogathon for a while and get back into this game. I still have yet to hit level 50 or play through Zombie Island. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Getting more into it. Just beat that big ass boss and got the first key or something to a vault, lvl 20 now. Liking it more and more, will probably finish it quickly and go on to the next game though. There should have been a weapon section where you can carry 20+ weapons.

How many items can you carry at the same time if you get the last upgrade? Also, I love love the shotgun, keep using that weapon the whole time :D

Ettie

Thinking of picking this up X 2 for me and the Missus. I read, or heard, maybe on GAF, I can't remember, that the game uses some kind of modified control scheme on PC, instead of the typical mouse + keyboard setup.

Tell me this is awful lies, please?

Aaron

Ettenra said:
Thinking of picking this up X 2 for me and the Missus. I read, or heard, maybe on GAF, I can't remember, that the game uses some kind of modified control scheme on PC, instead of the typical mouse + keyboard setup.

Tell me this is awful lies, please?
Nah, the controls are standard FPS. The menus and the online are a bit janky. They work. They're just awkward on a PC.

Top Bottom