• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Yoshichan said:
If you're having problems getting headshots or criticals on enemies none of that will matter, thus requiring skill :). We can't let any machine do our work, we can't become invisible or invincible for that matter ♥

Got my Hunter to level 50 and beat Playthrough 2 last night. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jetjevons said:
Got my Hunter to level 50 and beat Playthrough 2 last night. :D
I had a really, really hard time with playthrough 2 solo with my hunter since I had taken a long break from the game when I beat the game the firs time... so my skills were below avarage and my level was only 37. I barely managed to beat it and got to level 50 when I reached half the game on 2nd playthrough ♥

Really want more info about the next DLC, held off on moxxi's arena brawling stuff (my friends said its super hard so might give it a crack for the challenge)

M Tyson

Banned
Who wants to play tonight at around 7 EST? Just got the game and am on level 4 and am getting destroyed on an early mission right after killing the 1st boss.

Aaron

kyo_daikun said:
Really want more info about the next DLC, held off on moxxi's arena brawling stuff (my friends said its super hard so might give it a crack for the challenge)
It's not hard as much as it's a dull grind with almost no reward. Just avoid it.

Really looking forward to the next DLC, sounds like it could be a significant update as apposed to the horrendous POS Mad Moxxi's which just left me dis-heartened with the whole game (after 100+ hrs of loving it ♥).

I'm excited. :D

But aw, bye bye to my 100% complete 60/60 Borderlands achievements (for now at least probably :p).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Funny how I was having problems with 2 of the Spec Ops MW2 missions when I stopped playing the game to start Borderlands. I played through it twice in co-op with my brother, and when we came back to MW2, we easily one-shotted the remaining Spec Ops missions. I guess our shooting coordination was so great after Borderlands that those Juggernauts couldn't even scratch us.

Aaron said:
It's not hard as much as it's a dull grind with almost no reward. Just avoid it.

Yeah, I tried it out the other day, tried the first mission, and they want you to complete 5 rounds in each arena, and each round has 5 waves. Not only that, half the challenge is you have to run around the unnecessarily large arenas to find where the damn enemies are. Playing this is like playing "find where the enemies are shooting from" hide and seek game.
Sorry, maybe another time.

And a little let down the "Bank" can only hold 12 items.
Really now?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BigBlackGamer said:
you have to buy the 42 item slot bank. It cost 9999199.
Jesus Christ.

glaurung

They should uprgade the wallet counter in the new DLC.

Basically I know that the total amount can be bigger than what is displayed with the seven (?) digits.

Still confusing and aggravating.

This game is still tearing me away from MW:2 which in my eye's is crazy.

I'm going to say this too: Borderlands > Fallout 3.

And this game would be perfect if it had weapon customisation.

I've been 9,999,999whatever it is ever since I got to it. Haven't gone under since despite buying lots of things (including that max bank lol). :lol

But I collect and sell everything still so I guess that explains it.

As someone who has to OCD pick up everything and sell the stuff I don't want for $$$$$ the day I realised it would still count my money even though it can't display it I was like yuuuuuuuuuuuuus. :lol

Funny cause back in early playthrough 1 when getting the money achievement for 1 million (or whatever it is) I was like man who would EVER get that how much for the world challenge heh. The wonders of high level drops and their super expensive sell values I suppose. :p

Verapamil

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Just letting you know that Borderlands is incredible even in single player ♥

I agree with this. This is the only shooter this generation I've played from start to finish by myself.

Yoshichan

Verapamil said:
I agree with this. This is the only shooter this generation I've played from start to finish by myself.
Did you start playthrough 2? If yes, how did you enjoy it solo?

Verapamil

Banned
Yes, I got through playthrough 2 - though I stopped around Old Haven as I got to level 50 and got the platinum.

I probably would have played through to the end if I hadn't finished Isle of Ned.

When I restarted, the bad guys were around level 32 and I was about 36 or so.

It says a lot for me to go back to a game like that incessantly for about two months every night. My spouse was starting to get worried.

A level cap increase is probably a bad thing for my sleep, but I'll be there, plugging away.

Yes, it is that good solo. Local co-op is how I got the other trophies with a friend who came over and played 3-4 nights over a month of time to get a kill on one of the central bad guys.

EDIT: One of the great mechanics is "Second Wind" where you go down on a knee and have an opportunity to kill an opponent before going under (or your co-op to revive you) which is just over the top enough to fit with the rest of the game. I know other games do this too, but it really fit with this style of game.

Shurs

Yoshichan said:
Just letting you know that Borderlands is incredible even in single player ♥

I completely and totally agree with this statement. My first playthrough was solo and I had a blast. Now that I have a level 38 character I'm ready to jump into some four player co-op once I have the time. Borderlands was easily one of my favorite games of 2009 and this is without ever playing with others.

Yoshichan said:
They're seriously so addictive and awesome!
And the ONLY class that requires skill!

SALUTE!
Yoshichan said:
If you're having problems getting headshots or criticals on enemies none of that will matter, thus requiring skill :). We can't let any machine do our work, we can't become invisible or invincible for that matter ♥
:D I like this guy already, early contender for junior of the year if you ask me. :lol Hunters, unite!

Yoshichan

FunkyPajamas said:
:D I like this guy already, early contender for junior of the year if you ask me. :lol Hunters, unite!
Thank you ♥ :D!!

Shurs

FunkyPajamas said:

I'd like him more if he lost the hearts. Seems like a real "look at me!" move.

Yoshichan

Shurs said:
I'd like him more if he lost the hearts. Seems like a real "look at me!" move.
Sorry :( My hearts follow me wherever I go... :(

Helmholtz

AgentOtaku said:
Is the PC version still hohum or did they sort it out?
I'm wondering this myself. I played this game for a while when it came out, but the fact that I couldn't connect with my friends really pissed me off and I've barely touched it since. I know I tried to connect with one of them about 2 weeks ago and it still wouldn't work.

Any fixes for this yet? Really silly considering how long it's been out now.

Put this game away for awhile for MW2 but getting back into it now. Is the DLC any good? What is the Underdome Riot wave mode I have read about? Is it endless like Nazi Zombies or Horde, and can you play it online with a friend? Didn't see these addressed in the OP. Thank you.

Rainier

AgentOtaku said:
Sold my PS3 version but still have my Steam copy

Is the PC version still hohum or did they sort it out?
I'm currently playing through it again (single player - I suck online) on the PC, and have no complaints. Current patch is 1.2

I play it using a config editor that fixes the POV, and cleans up the visuals.

Verapamil

Banned
Bumblebeetuna said:
Put this game away for awhile for MW2 but getting back into it now. Is the DLC any good? What is the Underdome Riot wave mode I have read about? Is it endless like Nazi Zombies or Horde, and can you play it online with a friend? Didn't see these addressed in the OP. Thank you.

Isle of Ned is an undead onslaught with a series of connected quests and sidequests. You get experience in this DLC.

Moxxi's Underdome Riot is a series of tournaments in three locales with various difficulty levels. I believe that you do not receive XP when doing these but can get perk/skill points as a result.

I've played the former, not the latter as the content doesn't interest me.

Completed this tonight with the missus, level 39, did absolutely everything we could. I thougt the end was a bit lame though, The Vault wasn't what I was expecting.

Still, never played this for the story. Now for 2nd Playthrough, powering my way to 50 and being prepared for the level cap being raised. :)

I've yet to play online (I intend to at some point) but I concur with those saying the game is a blast in single player anyway. I've beaten the game with Mordecai and I'm a couple of quests into the 2nd playthrough, but I've also started playthroughs with Lilith and Brick and will get to Roland eventually. The way I'm feeling about it at the moment I think I could get all 4 to level 50 and still want more. I downloaded both DLC packs, I'd heard Moxxi was rubbish and I tried once, got to the boss stage of the first round and ditched it, but I don't feel too bad because Dr Ned was fantastic and I've so much goodwill for the game as a whole.

Anyway, does anyone know of a good way to get the 5 secs of airtime challenge?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kyo_daikun said:
You sir are definetly clinically insane!

I guess I am insane too. I couldn't get past the first 3 hours of Fallout 3, yet put in 40 hours into Borderlands. Fallout 3 just didn't click with me. I understood it was a great techincal achievement and all that, but it just wasn't any fun.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Die Squirrel Die said:
Anyway, does anyone know of a good way to get the 5 secs of airtime challenge?

I got it by accident. There's an area in the Rust Commons where you can fall off a cliff and onto a thin railing. If you stay balanced and suspended on that railing for the required time, you'll get the challenge.

Anyone notice the patch today?

February 2, 2010 - Borderlands Update Released

Updates to Borderlands have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Borderlands

Multiplayer connectivity has been improved; users should no longer be required to forward ports to host or join multiplayer games

Players who experienced distorted shadows or graphical glitches after update 1.0.1 should no longer experience these issues

The 3D Vision crosshair has been improved

Helmholtz

Jeez, I just bitched about the connectivity problems this morning, and now there's a patch that's supposed to have fixed it. :lol
Definitely gonna give it a go later, hope it works.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought it was just going to be another large mandatory DLC download even if one didn't buy it, but it turned out it was a port-forwarding update. :p Maybe I should try it again.

Then again, looks like the forums may be down at the moment, so maybe they broke everything with the update. *edit* You're right, they work for me now. Might have just been my computer then.

Blizzard said:
I thought it was just going to be another large mandatory DLC download even if one didn't buy it, but it turned out it was a port-forwarding update. :p Maybe I should try it again.

Then again, looks like the forums may be down at the moment, so maybe they broke everything with the update.
Forums been working okay for me all night..

And all day... (Gearbox ones that is)

Aaron

Digital Limit said:
So a friend of mine and I bought this game to play together. What's a good 2-person combo for classes?
Soldier and hunter classes work well together. Lilith works with anything. I'd stay away from Brick though. He starts out strong, but at the higher levels he just plain sucks.

Aaron

NarcissisticJay said:
Going Siren now after I played Soldier.. Need tips!!
I focus on getting to the bottom of the Siren's first skill tree asap. The final skill slows down enemies when you shoot them, making them cake for mobs. Following this tree also buffs up her phasewalk, which gets you out of most problems.

I bought this at launch but never put much time into it because of MW2. I ended up selling it but I just picked it up again and I was wondering if the DLC was worth getting, thanks in advance.

kuYuri

I can say that the latest PC patch fixes the multiplayer connectivity issues for me. Before the patch I could never connect and play with friends, but now it totally works.

Unicorn

AwesomeSyrup said:
I bought this at launch but never put much time into it because of MW2. I ended up selling it but I just picked it up again and I was wondering if the DLC was worth getting, thanks in advance.
Zombie Island and the eventual DLC that was announced, but I'd say skip on the Mad Moxxie, unless you're that much of a hoarder you need to store your guns.

Honestly, 4 slots on-hand plus 42(+)slots of inventory is more than enough once you're level 50..

Unicorn said:
Zombie Island and the eventual DLC that was announced, but I'd say skip on the Mad Moxxie, unless you're that much of a hoarder you need to store your guns.

Honestly, 4 slots on-hand plus 42(+)slots of inventory is more than enough once you're level 50..
Alright cool, thanks. I'll get that Zombie DLC tomorrow, and when is the new DLC coming?

Unicorn

AwesomeSyrup said:
Alright cool, thanks. I'll get that Zombie DLC tomorrow, and when is the new DLC coming?
March sounds good.

I mean, everything else is coming out then...

God of War 3, Pokemon HG/SS, Just Cause 2, Bad Company 2, Final Fantasy 13, Metro 2033, Resonance of Fate

Top Bottom