• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

theBishop

Banned
Unicorn said:
kinda spoilerific for those still playing through the game..

Honestly, the audio mixing for voice messages is so SHITTY in this game that those spoilers actually just explained the ending to me. I couldn't hear any of that stuff when I was playing.

I'm finding this in Bioshock(1) on PS3 as well. Why aren't voices clearly in the center-channel?

Unicorn

Hazaro said:
Makes me very hopeful for Borderlands 2 :D
Here's to hoping that Borderlands 2 is like Diablo 2 was to the original... in terms of improving EVERYTHING.

MORE OF EVERYTHING.

Great foundation so far. My personal GOTY of '09.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GBX_AdamF said:
A fix for this has been found and is pending deployment.

You don't know how happy this makes me.

theBishop said:
I tried to, but I think my save has been overwritten already. The good news is you get a fuckton more XP and more badass weapons on playthrough #2. The first weapons crate that has 2 cheap pistols on first playthrough has a
30k+ rocket launcher
in it on the 2nd play.

You can change your playthrough whenever you start up the game. You can never "overwrite" your Playthrough 1 data because it's separate, in a way.

Artadius

So excited for this... really loved the original and I've held off (for the most part) on new content by only buying the Zombie DLC and havn't even played through it yet.

And yes, here's to hoping for a Borderlands 2 on the scale of Diablo 2.

Those new areas look really cool, as do the ninja-esque enemies.

Hopefully the promises of better storytelling will come true, as I always wished Borderlands had a more interesting (or cohesive) story.

Unicorn

Foliorum Viridum said:
Those new areas look really cool, as do the ninja-esque enemies.

Hopefully the promises of better storytelling will come true, as I always wished Borderlands had a more interesting (or cohesive) story.
Some GAFfers actually put together a pretty good universe with the story elements we did get in the main game. Most people just didn't notice the subtle hints.

Ashour

I really hope the new DLC comes soon, I will drop everything I'm playing (or plan to play) and play the hell out of too. So hyped.

Unicorn said:
Some GAFfers actually put together a pretty good universe with the story elements we did get in the main game. Most people just didn't notice the subtle hints.
Eh, it should have been presented better. Even stuff like the quests being pure text, not spoken, takes me out of the experience. Seems lazy in this day and age.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
theBishop said:
Honestly, the audio mixing for voice messages is so SHITTY in this game that those spoilers actually just explained the ending to me. I couldn't hear any of that stuff when I was playing.

Especially annoying when you get 2 voices or more going at the same time. They overlap each other and drive you bugshit... On the missions where you collect and listen to the recordings, it can randomly go silent not far into it. Probably came up before in the thread but another audio snafu (for PC).

Just got to Rust Commons West with Mordecai, first 2 playthroughs were Roland. A different style of play but flying through the missions now.

Unicorn

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eh, it should have been presented better. Even stuff like the quests being pure text, not spoken, takes me out of the experience. Seems lazy in this day and age.
To each their own. I actually liked the comical quest text. Just wish the NPCs were animated more.

I found them quite entertaining to read, but why would you not use VO for them? I mean, the voice acting in this game is SO good that having them speak to you would have resulted in much more absorbment into the world. I don't believe it's anything to do with budget, because tons of games have ridiculously more voice work, so as I said it just strikes me as lazy.

The posts are about the audio levels are completely true, also - I had to turn subtitles on just to be able to understand what was going on, because if you were shooting as a message popped up it is impossible to hear what they were saying. Especially annoying on the audio log collecting quests.

Everything eles about the game I love - I just appreciate a good story in games, too, and that's where Borderlands is below average. Well below.

Zertez

The interviewer for Gamestop sounds like he is real excited to be doing his job. :lol Im going to hold off getting this DLC until players give hands on impressions. Mad Moxxie was a huge let down and a ridiculous grind. Hopefully they did not carry the grind of doing the arenas over to gaining new levels.

Am I the only one who is really pissed at their being 11 new levels? I only want skill points in increments of 5. Now there's going to be a left over point, sitting unfulfilled in a level 1 skill.

Unicorn

Zertez said:
The interviewer for Gamestop sounds like he is real excited to be doing his job. :lol Im going to hold off getting this DLC until players give hands on impressions. Mad Moxxie was a huge let down and a ridiculous grind. Hopefully they did not carry the grind of doing the arenas over to gaining new levels.
Read the Destructoid preview. SOOOOOOOO worth $10. I didn't bother with Mad Moxxie.

Unicorn

Die Squirrel Die said:
Am I the only one who is really pissed at their being 11 new levels? I only want skill points in increments of 5. Now there's going to be a left over point, sitting unfulfilled in a level 1 skill.
Unless there's a new activated skill. Bum bum bummmmm

Zertez

Unicorn said:
Read the Destructoid preview. SOOOOOOOO worth $10. I didn't bother with Mad Moxxie.
If you played Mad Moxxie, you would understand. It all sounds good in a preview, but if they applied things they did wrong in MM to the new DLC, ill pass. Anyone who has played the second tier of arenas knows how far Gearbox missed the mark on tuning and the senseless grinding you needed to finish one. I have yet to see them admit they screwed up with the arenas, so I have doubts they have learned from it. The original game was one of my favorites games last year, but both dlc have been disappointing. I hope I am wrong and it is on the same level as the non dlc.

Unicorn

Zertez said:
If you played Mad Moxxie, you would understand. It all sounds good in a preview, but if they applied things they did wrong in MM to the new DLC, ill pass. Anyone who has played the second tier of arenas knows how far Gearbox missed the mark on tuning and the senseless grinding you needed to finish one. I have yet to see them admit they screwed up with the arenas, so I have doubts they have learned from it. The original game was one of my favorites games last year, but both dlc have been disappointing. I hope I am wrong and it is on the same level as the non dlc.
I could tell MM was bad from previews. Zombie Island was great imo.

Denzar

Almost got Borderlands platinum'd. Just need to reach level 50 with my main character. What's the best way to do this? Online? Solo? Any bosses that give you big amounts of XP?

Level 43 now.

DLC is looking sick btw. Might be the first DLC ever I'll buy.

i should really play this, i bought it on steam day it came out, put half an hour into it, and went back to fallout 3...

did they fix the pc issues (menus and FOV?)

Aaron

Deepack said:
Almost got Borderlands platinum'd. Just need to reach level 50 with my main character. What's the best way to do this? Online? Solo? Any bosses that give you big amounts of XP?

Level 43 now.

If you have a full crew of good players, especially those at higher level than you are, you can level up pretty quickly.

Denzar

Aaron said:
If you have a full crew of good players, especially those at higher level than you are, you can level up pretty quickly.

K, thanks for the tip. Now to find a crew of good players.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I plan to pick this DLC up. How long to you think it'll take to go from lv 50 (with full exp bar) to lv 61?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Deepack said:

Level 43 now.

Honestly? Zombie Island gives you a fuck ton of XP. I went from lvl 43 to 49 just doing Zombie Island.

Unicorn

ZealousD said:
Honestly? Zombie Island gives you a fuck ton of XP. I went from lvl 43 to 49 just doing Zombie Island.
I leveled up quickly in Old Haven, thanks to respawning Crimson Lance.

Also, Dead Haven was cool at first, but overall a let down.

Denzar

ZealousD said:
Aha! Might do it that way!

Have to reload my PSN account though... Just bought Braid.

grumble

This game was wicked, but there is so, so much more they can do with the concept. Borderlands 2 has so much potential it's unreal. Customizing guns, rare modification drops, armors, better loot table, better story, randomly generated missions, all good stuff.

Unicorn

grumble said:
This game was wicked, but there is so, so much more they can do with the concept. Borderlands 2 has so much potential it's unreal. Customizing guns, rare modification drops, armors, better loot table, better story, randomly generated missions, all good stuff.
Here's to hoping! They looked to Diablo 2 for structure, so luckily they'll advance Borderlands as much as Diablo 2 did for 1.

Beat the game just now. Loved every bit of it, but the ending left me... feeling empty:

So you open the Vault, a monster comes out and you kill it. After that, the Vault seals up for the next 200 years and you find out that the chick talking to you in your vision is a satellite projection. There's a symbol on the side of the satellite, so it's some corporation. Then the claptrap turns into a ninja.

Is that it? Am I missing something? Zombie DLC is downloading right now, firing it up tomorrow

spats

Shoogoo said:
Is the DLC (both of them) worth it if I'm lvl50 or will it feel too easy?

The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned is awesome. Funny as hell quests, interesting areas to explore and HORDES of zombies to shoot. Haven't gotten Mad Moxxi but I'm under the impression that it's pretty boring.

Moatman

Shoogoo said:
Is the DLC (both of them) worth it if I'm lvl50 or will it feel too easy?

Zombie island scales to your level, I duo'd it in co-op and it was pretty easy, about 4.5 hours or so for us. It was fun seeing new enemies and new settings(plus a ton of silly humor), but we haven't really had much interest to go back.

As for the underdome, it's nice having a bank now but it's pretty tough and totally not for soloing, you need at least a friend or three to get anywhere in this one. It's mostly based on the arena-style quests you had a couple times in the main game, waves of enemies to survive.

The new dlc will raise the level cap to 61, so that's a pretty impressive boost to longevity I'd think, just wondering if all the xp I'm gaining at 50 still is going to roll-over into free levels with buying the new dlc....here's hoping!

Alcoori

Gryphter said:
Beat the game just now. Loved every bit of it, but the ending left me... feeling empty:

So you open the Vault, a monster comes out and you kill it. After that, the Vault seals up for the next 200 years and you find out that the chick talking to you in your vision is a satellite projection. There's a symbol on the side of the satellite, so it's some corporation. Then the claptrap turns into a ninja.

Is that it? Am I missing something? Zombie DLC is downloading right now, firing it up tomorrow

That's what I understood too. Kinda WTFed a bit but I had fun playing so let's hope Borderlands 2 will have a true story to it.

Unicorn

Gryphter said:

That's the gist of it, but there's a ton of interpreted meaning to it all. Interesting conflicts between the companies if you dig deep.

Top Bottom