• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Rolf NB

I've started Borderlands earlier this week, reached lvl 21 last night, starting with the second "overworld" zone now.

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is a pleasant surprise. I'm hooked. This is pretty close to what I would have wanted Fallout to be. Way to show that a modern western RPG can have good combat mechanics after all.

I like the density of the world, the consistent level of challenge, the questing, the differentiation between the gun "families", but most of all the focus on the core mechanics above story and all that.

Second wind is a pretty smart idea, too.

I'm still weirded out by the vehicle controls. I keep wanting to turn with the left stick and only look around/aim with the right stick, but it won't let me. Mah brain's not configured for this. Slowly getting better though.

Can't believe I haven't finished this game yet, I got it day 1. I think a contributing factor is the people I was playing with were all banned from xboxlive due to being dirty pirates, yarrrgh (this game being one of the games they downloaded). Its kinda lonely on XBL now :(

I think I'm around mid 20s Berserker if anyone needs a Berserker friend online.

iratA

Was thinking about finally picking this up, PAL PS3 version. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a cheap copy online?

So soon? Fuuuckkk.

Usually, that's awesome, but I'm at 42 and want to hit 50 before starting it. I'd grind my ass off, but it's something I have to do with the missus. Grumble grumble.

Oh well, I only played Zombie Island two weeks ago, so I can wait again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Perfect timing. Just beat Playthrough 2 last night, then refreshed New Haven like a mofo to get some sweet lvl 48 purples. :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm a little concerned that the new DLC is so heavily based on vehicles considering that the vehicle segments in Borderlands.... well, suck.

Hopefully a lot of that's optional.

Hugbot

I loved this game but it fell by the wayside with the other great games that came out right around the same time, but I think they've finally hooked me again. Picking up the first 2 DLCs on disc next week, and I'm gonna be hard pressed not to buy the new one tomorrow. Between the incredible main game and the really quick DLC schedule, Gearbox is really bringing its A game.

GuardianE said:
I'm a little concerned that the new DLC is so heavily based on vehicles considering that the vehicle segments in Borderlands.... well, suck.

Hopefully a lot of that's optional.

Large reason they sucked was because there was nothing to it. The vehicles was the most underdeveloped part of the game. One vehicle and two weapon options only, and basically only one vehicle opponent type, and no sections really designed specifically for vehicle play.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BattleMonkey said:
Large reason they sucked was because there was nothing to it. The vehicles was the most underdeveloped part of the game. One vehicle and two weapon options only, and basically only one vehicle opponent type, and no sections really designed specifically for vehicle play.

I agree. But you also got little experience whenever in the vehicle. It was usually just better to fight outside of the thing. And Mad Max was the worst boss. Maybe they'll have shaped it up, but the vehicle sections are generally the weakest part of any shooter.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I meant to post this...hope I didn't already post this...:lol

Played the Island of Dr. Ned and I absolutely loved it. I felt that the gameplay and humor both easily topped the main game. I especially loved
the credits rolling and then the boss slicing through them.

GuardianE said:
I agree. But you also got little experience whenever in the vehicle. It was usually just better to fight outside of the thing. And Mad Max was the worst boss. Maybe they'll have shaped it up, but the vehicle sections are generally the weakest part of any shooter.

Because vehicles were easy mode, they nerfed experience gain. You could just drive through entire levels running over shit without dying very easily, if you got full xp for it people would just do that to power level quick.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BattleMonkey said:
Because vehicles were easy mode, they nerfed experience gain. You could just drive through entire levels running over shit without dying very easily, if you got full xp for it people would just do that to power level quick.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree with how it's done, but it makes the vehicles in Borderlands even more obsolete besides being a way to get from point A to point B without using fast travel.

Well hopefully we will see some improvements with what they did with the dlc, as I think it's the one area that needs the most expanding on for Borderlands 2. From what I understand Borderlands was supposed to focus much more on the vehicles aspect originally but they greatly toned that down in favor of a more FPS experience.

I personally think that they can add as many cars as possible and the driving still would fail. You drive a car the same way you move your character (minus strafing).

Defcon

Banned
Nice. I just got the game the other day and I'm up to level 12. I guess when I'm the appropriate level, I'll buy all the DLC. This is the best game I've played in a very long time.

GBX_AdamF said:

Just curious with the patch, couple of my friends have some modded gear (just a few guns), will that stuff then just not load in their inventory or will it prevent the character file from being loaded altogether.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
CrazedArabMan said:
Just curious with the patch, couple of my friends have some modded gear (just a few guns), will that stuff then just not load in their inventory or will it prevent the character file from being loaded altogether.
It won't affect character files from being loaded. But items that are deemed 'invalid' will no longer appear in your inventory.

- Chests in New Haven have been adjusted to contain more appropriate loot

Hmm, wonder what that means? I got so much good shit just by opening chests there over and over lol.

<3 Gearbox. Endless love guys.

Also, just noticed in the patch notes that New Haven has had its chests "balanced". Any word on exactly what this means? Not that I ever grinded the chests there anyway, seemed like a boring way to spend some time.

Here's an idea Gearbox guys: Make a new area called the "Grindhaus". Fill it with endless respawning enemies, and throw in the hulking chest carrying guys from Zombie Island. People want to grind? Let em, but don't make it easy for them.

That or tweak Mad Moxxie so that the loot is actually worth a damn. Yeah, that's probably simpler.

And holy shit, keep the DLC coming. If you make it we will keep enjoying it. (psst. Will we ever see a shared bank? Give that to us as free patch/DLC please.)

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Conrad Link said:

Hmm, wonder what that means? I got so much good shit just by opening chests there over and over lol.
The rarity of items in those chests have been reduced.

Conrad Link said:

I haven't played in a long time. Maybe I should do a few New Haven runs before the patch comes out.

CrazedArabMan said:

Thx for the quick reply. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Beat the main game Saturday and beat Zombie Island just now. Loved all of it!

Zombie DLC boss talk:
I went into Phasewalk with Lilith which electrocuted Frankenbill and it healed him! I was humbled and very impressed with that attention to detail, Gearbox you guys are awesome. I loved it after killing Dr. Ned and the credits started rolling, I was like what? Then fought his 2nd form in the blood cave, soooo awesome.

General Knoxx is due tomorrow? Perfect timing, woot!

360 Balance adjustments said:
- The duration of daze effects has been reduced to 6 seconds, and the amount by which it decreases the speed of enemies and their projectiles has been reduced
nooo!

iratA said:
Oh thanks. Can't seem to find if they ship to Australia though. Haven't used these guys before, anyone have any experiences with them?

They do. $4 (or so) shipping. Used them before, no worries.

I guess they weren't kidding when they said Knoxx would be out ASAP, wow.

GBX_AdamF said:
The rarity of items in those chests have been reduced.

:O !!! I thought it was a little silly I got so much good gear there doing nothing but then spent hours on things like Mad Moxxi for little-to-no reward.

Everyone go spam some New Haven runs tonight! :lol

Insaniac

does anyone know the answer to this: what is the level req of Knoxx for playthrough 1? and if you do playthrough 2.5 on knoxx are all the baddies 61/62?

I also heard there was a "new type of weapon" is this true, or is it actually the "new rare weapons" ?

anyhow supremely excited I love lootwhoring and i love borderlands

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Plaguefox said:
I'm continually amazed that they haven't included a FOV slider of some sort in these PC updates yet. It's consistently irritating having to use a configuration hack that "re-forces" the FOV to my preference each time I press run. And it doesn't even work right if I'm on someone else's server.

Then again, if I had my way, I'd have a near-complete overhaul of the menu experience first. It's got some insane usability problems for PC users, even after they fixed some of the more obvious issues.
FOV fix would be pretty nice, I mean just even make a new var for it in the config or something please :[

Top Bottom