• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

"Circle of Duty" is painfully hard at Sergeant, and I haven't tried 'medal of service' yet. I am NOT looking forward to it though. It is fun, but tough.

Lance Royal Guards = awesome.

Drifters = scariest unit to die from in the game/in general. I freaked out when they jumped up in the air at us in the car. I DO NOT want to see the nightmares of the person who came up with them. The glitch when you are not host and they fly up in the air when they die is pretty funny.

Goodness they are scary to even think about. Blegh.

h3ro

I just picked this up. I'm so torn, I don't know whether to play as a Hunter or Siren. What do you guys think?

I won't be playing co-op until Playthrough 2, so this first run through will be solo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
h3ro said:
I just picked this up. I'm so torn, I don't know whether to play as a Hunter or Siren. What do you guys think?

I won't be playing co-op until Playthrough 2, so this first run through will be solo.

I posted this earlier on:
"All the classes are viable. Do whatever appeals to your style of play. Don't focus on PVP, because that's mostly a joke in this game (Sirens have a distinct advantage here anyway). Every class has viable builds, and if you make a mistake, you can always respec, so feel free to experiment.

I guess the most important question is, what kind of guns do you like?

Lilith:
SMGs
Elemental
Sniper Rifles (new DLC)

Mordecai:
Pistols, Revolvers, Magnums
Sniper Rifles

Brick:
Explosives
Rocket Launchers

Roland:
Machine Guns
Assault Rifles
Shotguns"

Siren and Mordecai are arguably the best two classes in terms of damage dealing capabilities. Sirens also have the distinct advantage of being practically invincible if specced correctly with Phasewalk.

Also, check out the skill tree setups on the official Borderlands site. There, you can actually see what the affects of your skill points will do, and you can see which class has a build that you'd enjoy playing.

Major Williams said:
Drifters = scariest unit to die from in the game/in general. I freaked out when they jumped up in the air at us in the car. I DO NOT want to see the nightmares of the person who came up with them. The glitch when you are not host and they fly up in the air when they die is pretty funny.
Oh, that's a glitch? Awesome. Its my favorite part of taking the buggers down. They really get some quality air time.

Insaniac

NullPointer said:
Oh, that's a glitch? Awesome. Its my favorite part of taking the buggers down. They really get some quality air time.

hahah one time my friend and I were leveling up by killing drifters and I was running around picking up the loot they dropped, and my friend was like "TURN AROUND TURN AROUND" and I see some long thin legs appear around me and then i was dead :(

Insaniac said:
hahah one time my friend and I were leveling up by killing drifters and I was running around picking up the loot they dropped, and my friend was like "TURN AROUND TURN AROUND" and I see some long thin legs appear around me and then i was dead :(
Gosh man they are freaking scary. Reading that gave me tingles on my head. I wanted to power level with the 6,000+ xp they yield, but couldn't bring myself to do it with how scary they are. I just kill them and run away.

h3ro

So using snipers with Siren is only good for the new DLC?

I'd probably like to use her but it seems like having good long range attacks would help in this game as well. I'm a fan of the SMG/Sniper combo.

How's Mordecai with the same SMG/Sniper combo?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
h3ro said:

I'd probably like to use her but it seems like having good long range attacks would help in this game as well. I'm a fan of the SMG/Sniper combo.

Anyone can use any gun, but a Siren absolutely dominates with an SMG given her class mods. Mercenary class mod gives her increased SMG damage, plus skills that increase weapon damage/velocity, and potential SMG ammo regen. The new DLC gives her a Spectre class mod that increases Sniper Critical damage. Otherwise, you CAN snipe with her, but it's not really ideal. I carry a sniper rifle around for the heck of it, and use it on occasion.

On the other hand, SMGs are arguably the most flexible weapons in the game anyway... you can pick up a Stinger that deals tons of damage, high fire rate, and an accuracy/scope that rivals most Sniper Rifles (90+). Then you have the other side of the spectrum, with Double Anarchies that spit out walls of bullets at close range for the highest DPS possible.

Mordecai doesn't really have any reason to use an SMG from what I can see. His skill points are really geared towards Snipers/Revolvers. Maybe there's a class mod that changes that. He can still use them, and they'll be good (a good gun is a good gun regardless), you just won't be seeing the full effect of Mordecai or the full effect of that gun.

h3ro said:

He should be good - I use the SMGs with the Soldier, and I perform wonderfully with them. This thing is, the weapons that a particular character is strong in doesn't mean you suck with the others at all. It just means if you find a good weapon your character specializes in, you'll own everything. If you find a good weapon that your character doesn't necessarily specialize in, get your weapon proficiency level up, and it'll be just as good, if not better.

Hugbot

Major Williams said:
He should be good - I use the SMGs with the Soldier, and I perform wonderfully with them. This thing is, the weapons that a particular character is strong in doesn't mean you suck with the others at all. It just means if you find a good weapon your character specializes in, you'll own everything. If you find a good weapon that your character doesn't necessarily specialize in, get your weapon proficiency level up, and it'll be just as good, if not better.
I've been using a Dark Orange two-shot revolver on Roland since I found it about a quarter of the way through PT1, and it's still pretty dominant having just beat the game once. It's not really a Soldier-style weapon, but I can definitely attest to the fact that a good weapon is good regardless of class.

So, my advice as to class choice is just whichever special ability is more fun for you to use. Honestly, even if the class you want doesn't use the weapon you want to use to its absolute peak, you can manage just fine. If you want to get into maximizing, by all means look into gun choice, but you'll do well enough with any (good) gun you choose. I haven't seen the late-game, though, so keep that in mind.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hugbot said:
I've been using a Dark Orange two-shot revolver on Roland since I found it about a quarter of the way through PT1, and it's still pretty dominant having just beat the game once. It's not really a Soldier-style weapon, but I can definitely attest to the fact that a good weapon is good regardless of class.

So, my advice as to class choice is just whichever special ability is more fun for you to use. Honestly, even if the class you want doesn't use the weapon you want to use to its absolute peak, you can manage just fine. If you want to get into maximizing, by all means look into gun choice, but you'll do well enough with any (good) gun you choose. I haven't seen the late-game, though, so keep that in mind.

Yeah, that's true, and it's the same for late game. One of my Siren's most used guns is a Legendary Revolver. Sure, it'd probably perform even better with Mordecai, but a gun will still dominate if it's a good weapon. Similarly, a good SMG will still rock in the hands of Mordecai. Proficiency goes a long way into improving the weapons too, and anyone can gain proficiency.

Havok

Subliminal said:
Argh crap.

I broke my game; Me and a friend did the armory glitch and i didn't read up enough and triggered the 'get loot' point.

I was on the second Quest. Anyone on or coming up to that quest that would be able to let me join in so i can get that goddamn achivement!

I'm in the same boat after last night...crap.

Anyone have a good Corrosive dmg SMG or Rifle? I have a good pistol, but it has no scope and the fire rate sucks (1.3) - the stats are 825 dmg, 93.3 acc, 1.3 fire rate with give Sick, corrosive x4.

I'm looking for an SMG with a fire rate above 5.0 and ~150ish dmg with x2 minimum corrosive multiplier (x4 would be nice).

Anyone else have any good level 55-60 weapons?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
NarcissisticJay said:
Any SMG donations?

Same gun for 17 lvls now is awesome. How awesome? So awesome.

Your system, your current level, and the current specs of your SMG will help people pick some good stuff for you..

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Major Williams said:
Anyone have a good Corrosive dmg SMG or Rifle? I have a good pistol, but it has no scope and the fire rate sucks (1.3) - the stats are 825 dmg, 93.3 acc, 1.3 fire rate with give Sick, corrosive x4.

I'm looking for an SMG with a fire rate above 5.0 and ~150ish dmg with x2 minimum corrosive multiplier (x4 would be nice).

Anyone else have any good level 55-60 weapons?

The problem with elemental SMGs is that they're terrible aside from Legendaries (AKA the Hellfire). Most rapid fire weapons are. There's a bug that doesn't let them proc (elemental splash) correctly and you'll rarely get the full effect of them with a X4 gun. Rifles, similarly, are glitched when it comes to proc'ing, though the Ogre (another Legendary) doesnt' seem to have as much of a problem. To my knowledge, no Legendary SMGs or Rifles exist with Corrosive Damage (must be an actual trait of the Legendary name, not just a random modifier) unless the DLC added some.

Your Pestilent Defiler is probably the best corossive gun in the game thus far. You can strive to find a better one, but you're pretty set with that thing.

I do know that there's a Pealescent SMG called the Tsunami that allegedly deals both Corrosive and Electric damage consistently, but it's pretty rare obviously.

Insaniac

Havok said:
I'm in the same boat after last night...crap.

Solution: level up another char, or join another game in which the host hasn't finished the quest and complete it in that game. I haven't tested it, but it should work.

h3ro

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, guys.

I checked out the Skill Trees and went through few permutations with Mordecai. I'd like to use a balance of gunplay and Bloodwing.

What do you think of this loadout?

Insaniac

Here's my suggestion

If you're going sniper/bloodwing primarily than these are what you want:

TRESPASS a god send skill for sniper.

aerial impact, out for blood and bird of prey

Aerial impact will stun enemies slowing them down so that you are not getting hit as often letting you aim, and they move slower making them easier targets.

Bird of prey is pretty obvious to hit/stun multiple enemies

and bird of prey + out for blood is a great combo to heal you quickly

Loaded is better than fast hands. at level 5 it doubles any sniper capacity.

Carrion call is way better than predator if you're using primarily sniper IMO and you don't really need to invest 5 points in carrion call, 1 or 2 points + a boost from sniper Class Mod is great.

http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11550052550055035000000

thats how I would load it out for a level 50 sniper

http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11550501550550025005503

and thats for a level 61 sniper with more focus on sniping and bloodwing mainly for healing support.

However its up to you what you wanna do, you can respec easily during the game and it really doesn't cost much at all so try a lot of different builds

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unicorn said:
On xbox live I can't connect to friends' games when they host. When I run the test XBL I don't get a message saying my NAT is moderate or strict, plus this only happens with Borderlands.

Is there a known port I need to forward for my 360 in general, or perhaps Borderlands specifically? Tried unplugging my router for a minute then plugging it back in, but to no avail. Was LANing at my friends because he had the same problem. Finally it worked when he did the unplug/plug trick and we could play with our third friend.

Anyone know?

I had a problem and had to clear cache to fix it.

GuardianE said:
What's the "get loot" point? Does another quest get triggered or something while in the Armory?

You glitch under the floor of the Armory which lets you raid all the chests with no time limit. You can get some decent guns and gear that way without having to do Crawmerax.

Edit: Question - has anyone gone back to Mad Moxxi with a 61? Does it scale up or can you just blow through it?

GuardianE said:
I do know that there's a Pealescent SMG called the Tsunami that allegedly deals both Corrosive and Electric damage consistently, but it's pretty rare obviously.
yeah it does, I have one
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Maliwan_Tsunami
I also have a Serpens that's corrosive as well
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/S&S_Serpens
but, these are late game weapons (dlc3)
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Pearlescent
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Pearlescent
so, yeah, you wont see them very often

Hugbot

Money said:
Anyone have any news of a GOTY edition with DLC included? I'm holding off but God its hard
I think it's an incredibly safe bet that we'll see one this fall, but I doubt they'll confirm it until much closer.

ezekial45

Banned
I haven't purchased any of the DLC yet, but the most recent one is pretty interesting.

Does it contain all the other features from the other DLC (Banks, etc) or does it contain only it's own features?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The brief time me and my crew of 4 have spent on the DLC has given us the impression that it will be a challenge. That's good since the game itself was not that hard.

Philthy

ezekial45 said:
Does it contain all the other features from the other DLC (Banks, etc) or does it contain only it's own features?

The only feature that I know of is the bank, and you still need to buy Moxi for that.

I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't use the new vehicles in the main game after I unlocked them in the expansion though.

firehawk12 said:
Shit. I really don't want to play the game local split screen. :lol

But the achievements!!!!!! :D :lol

I did 1 run the regular way (UGH NEVER AGAIN!) and after that shit I said no thanks. Once I found out about the split-screen thing I had to do it as I really want 100% achievements because I love the game so much.

I just listened to podcasts during it to keep sane, as even though its easy it still takes awhile to do.

On the last of the 3 my f**king 360 gave me a disc read error (despite playing all my games installed to the HD, wtf? >_>) and I got booted out at about round 12. Not as bad as like round 18 or something but still, anything like that is a PAINFUL kick in the nuts over something that is an already complete BS pile of shit.

Anyway,

Love the new DLC, almost back to 100% achievements again (got all missions and loot midgets left to do) got a pearl shield from the Circle of Duty thing (dunno what it does yet lol, haven't looked it up) and me and my brother took down Crawmerax last night! Woo! Got a pearl rocket launcher, he took it BUT HIS INTERNET WENT DOWN WHILE STILL PICKING SHIT UP SO IT NEVER SAVED AND WE LOST IT! >_< Gutted, didn't even get to see what it did. ;( He lost the mission complete thing as well for defeating it, but we did it again this time no pearl drop.

We have some terrible luck sometimes lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I'm really only interested in getting the 100% achievement thing back... the bank is a bonus as well. As are two extra points... but man, the idea of grinding through these things twice is a pain.

I really don't get why they chose to make it "hard". I mean, turning off experience itself was an idiotic idea as well, but to force you to do it all in one sitting? Guh.

neoism

2d96ypw.jpg
:lol :lol HOLY SHIT

Unicorn

MrTroubleMaker said:
yeah it does, I have one
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Maliwan_Tsunami
I also have a Serpens that's corrosive as well
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/S&S_Serpens
but, these are late game weapons (dlc3)
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Pearlescent
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Pearlescent
so, yeah, you wont see them very often
Buh... so there's only one new weapon for each type?

A pearlescent for every weapon type. lame. and 3 pearlescent shields.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
neoism said:
2d96ypw.jpg
:lol :lol HOLY SHIT

Yeah, I've seen one of those. I've also seen some of the new Pearl shields... very beautiful loot. :lol

Edit: It's almost unfortunate that Pearls scale to your level as well. Even if you get a Pearl, if it drops while you're low level, you'll get a crappy level 48 version of the gun. :(

mandiller

I just got a lvl 53 Hellfire SMG for my Siren (who is lvl 51 and still using a lvl 34 Hellfire as the main weapon). Nice! My eyes baulked when I saw it in a crate during a four player game.

Now I need to level two more levels to actually use it.

Owensboro

Hah, well crap. Thanks to the PS3 PSN problems, I missed being awarded a trophy in the General Knoxx storyline. Is there anyone that needs to rescue
Athena
that needs some help from a level 58 Soldier? I'm a team player!

So I have finished the main story and then finished the Zombie DLC. What is the best way to progress to lvl50? Playthrough 2 on the main storyline and then playthrough 2 on Zombies again? Or just playthrough 2 on Zombies? Does the loot get better?

I'm currently lvl 42.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Conrad Link said:
Anyway,

Love the new DLC, almost back to 100% achievements again (got all missions and loot midgets left to do) got a pearl shield from the Circle of Duty thing (dunno what it does yet lol, haven't looked it up) and me and my brother took down Crawmerax last night! Woo! Got a pearl rocket launcher, he took it BUT HIS INTERNET WENT DOWN WHILE STILL PICKING SHIT UP SO IT NEVER SAVED AND WE LOST IT! >_< Gutted, didn't even get to see what it did. ;( He lost the mission complete thing as well for defeating it, but we did it again this time no pearl drop.

We have some terrible luck sometimes lol.

Be glad you have a Pealescent at all without duping. I know people who have killed Crawmerax 30 times and gotten no Pealescents. :\

Celcius

°Temp. member
I got the trophy last night for finding all the loot midgets :lol
It's funny how sledge got turned into motorhead :lol

GuardianE said:
Your system, your current level, and the current specs of your SMG will help people pick some good stuff for you..

Yeah, sorry :)

360 Siren..

level 53ish

I mainly use a level 36(38?) Malwin with around 100dmg and x4 fire.

Its un real how good the weapons I have for the other gun types are... can't ever get a SMG tho.

I have another with horrid accuracy that is 120x4 dmg or there abouts with a 2.4zoom.

Thanks

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
NarcissisticJay said:
Yeah, sorry :)

360 Siren..

level 53ish

I mainly use a level 36(38?) Malwin with around 100dmg and x4 fire.

Its un real how good the weapons I have for the other gun types are... can't ever get a SMG tho.

I have another with horrid accuracy that is 120x4 dmg or there abouts with a 2.4zoom.

Thanks

The 120X4 is a beast if you have a decent rate of fire. It's called a Double Anarchy (sometimes with the prefix Steel or Desert depending on quality/manufacturer). It's an up close and personal killing machine. The weapon of choice for a lot of Sirens. SMG proficiency will make up a lot for the terrible accuracy, and you're firing so many bullets at once that the Damage Per Second outclasses practically any other weapon.

The other is a Hellfire. Quite frankly, those are the two of the best SMGs in the game. You'll want to get a higher leveled version of each of those. If they're not incredible right now, that might mean your rate of fire sucks. Rate of fire is just as important as damage for an SMG.

The only other kind of SMG that could possibly round out that batch is a decent Stinger, high rate of fire/sniping accurate SMG. I might have a spare. I'll check when I'm home.

Hugbot

Something really annoying I found out (360 version): If you have a character on your HD, and a character on a memory card(only one on each), and want to get them on the same device you're gonna be overwriting one of them. I guess it makes sense because they're both technically character slot 1, but it sucked to have to re-roll my Siren. At least my new and old characters are both backed up now, though.

GuardianE said:
Be glad you have a Pealescent at all without duping. I know people who have killed Crawmerax 30 times and gotten no Pealescents. :\

Yeah, we just spent 2 hrs 'farming' him and not a single one.

After that first kill and the rocket launcher we figured they can't be that rare........ now, yeah. ;(

Damn you connection lost! *shakes fist* At least I've still got the shield one.

And only 1 achievement left to get now. :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hugbot said:
Something really annoying I found out (360 version): If you have a character on your HD, and a character on a memory card(only one on each), and want to get them on the same device you're gonna be overwriting one of them. I guess it makes sense because they're both technically character slot 1, but it sucked to have to re-roll my Siren. At least my new and old characters are both backed up now, though.

Yeah, they did that on purpose, so that you can't just copy entire characters and play with two of the same character. It's also tied to a particular profile, so you wouldn't be able to share that character.

It's not so bad, since you can essentially respec and recolor your Siren however you want for minimal funds. I just use it for backing up data, in the event of glitches like the Moxxi shield stealing one.

Hugbot

GuardianE said:
Yeah, they did that on purpose, so that you can't just copy entire characters and play with two of the same character. It's also tied to a particular profile, so you wouldn't be able to share that character.

It's not so bad, since you can essentially respec and recolor your Siren however you want for minimal funds. I just use it for backing up data, in the event of glitches like the Moxxi shield stealing one.
I guess fair enough, but I can copy the character just fine. But moving my Soldier to my memory card overwrote the Siren on there, which was weird.

Edit: My first post doesn't explain shit. I had a soldier on the HD, and ended up creating a Siren when I had my memory card on me. Later on wanted them both backed up and tried to get them on the same device, and it would have overwrote either way. I chose to keep the higher level.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hugbot said:
I guess fair enough, but I can copy the character just fine. But moving my Soldier to my memory card overwrote the Siren on there, which was weird.

Eh, really? That's weird. I don't know why one character would overwrite another. I haven't tried it, as I've only backed up my main. That's interesting, though.

GuardianE said:
The 120X4 is a beast if you have a decent rate of fire. It's called a Double Anarchy (sometimes with the prefix Steel or Desert depending on quality/manufacturer). It's an up close and personal killing machine. The weapon of choice for a lot of Sirens. SMG proficiency will make up a lot for the terrible accuracy, and you're firing so many bullets at once that the Damage Per Second outclasses practically any other weapon.

The other is a Hellfire. Quite frankly, those are the two of the best SMGs in the game. You'll want to get a higher leveled version of each of those. If they're not incredible right now, that might mean your rate of fire sucks. Rate of fire is just as important as damage for an SMG.

The only other kind of SMG that could possibly round out that batch is a decent Stinger, high rate of fire/sniping accurate SMG. I might have a spare. I'll check when I'm home.
The best double Anarchy I've found is a beastly 144x4 with 14.5 fire rate. It DEMOLISHES Drifters, and was incredibly useful vs. Crawmerax.

Crawmerax was easily one of the hardest boss battles I've EVER played. So much fun. I just found a new favorite developer to add to my list. So far: Bungie, Blizzard, Gearbox

Top Bottom