• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

JAD0109

Neo Member
Strange and/or stupid request:

Would someone be kind enough to be on the lookout for and get me a screencap of a Level 13 or 23 Badass Psycho? I know/think that the Badass guys are random, but if someone could keep their eyes open and take a pic before they kill it, I'd really appreciate it.

As long as it shows the level/name/face, it's perfect.

Teknoman

I'll see what I can do. By the way, what do those face icons mean on various servers? That you have to have a certain expansion pack to join? Because i'm going to get back into playing with randoms, and not sure if I should just go ahead and buy the DLC now, or just wait till i finish my first playthrough.

Teknoman said:
I'll see what I can do. By the way, what do those face icons mean on various servers? That you have to have a certain expansion pack to join? Because i'm going to get back into playing with randoms, and not sure if I should just go ahead and buy the DLC now, or just wait till i finish my first playthrough.
It's what DLC the host has. I don't know if I'd bother with the 2nd DLC, but a lot of people pick it up for the Bank, and if you join a game where someone has the pack, it's likely they'll go there to use the bank. If you're willing to spend some time with it, it can provide two additional skill points as well. Dr. Ned is great, and General Knoxx is a card.

ArachosiA 78 said:
I'm finding it hard to really understand what weapons are good. Could anyone provide an example of a good assault rifle?
Try different guns. You'll find some that you like. Multiply damage by fire rate to get a good idea of how powerful the gun is. Look at the accuracy and think about if you like to shoot things from a distance or if you like to shoot them point blank in the face.

JAD0109

Neo Member
ArachosiA 78 said:
I'm finding it hard to really understand what weapons are good. Could anyone provide an example of a good assault rifle?

My personal favorite guns during Playthrough 1 was a solid SMG as my primary and a good sniper rifle to compliment it.

As far as the SMG, usually I was using something called "____ Double Anarchy" or "____ Double Savior". The Double Savior had ammo regeneration, which I loved.

The accuracy is pretty low on some/most SMGs, but as your weapon proficiency goes up, so will your bonus accuracy (and damage and recoil reduction).

JAD0109 said:
My personal favorite guns during Playthrough 1 was a solid SMG as my primary and a good sniper rifle to compliment it.

As far as the SMG, usually I was using something called "____ Double Anarchy" or "____ Double Savior". The Double Savior had ammo regeneration, which I loved.

The accuracy is pretty low on some/most SMGs, but as your weapon proficiency goes up, so will your bonus accuracy (and damage and recoil reduction).
The double anarchy has to be treated like a shotgun that shoots a constant stream instead of bursts. I liked it for my first playthrough, but later a more accurate gun comes in handy. Repeaters titled 'torment' like 'fanged torment' or 'cold torment' have been pretty nice to me.

XenoRaven

Anyone playing this game on XBL and want to play with someone who's only boss kill is Nine Toes?

Caution, I like to roam around randomly, and I want to do all the side quests.

Chris_C

Okay, so I just picked this game up yesterday (I was VERY skeptical of it pre-release).

All I can say is .... wow.

I started out thinking, "I'll just do the kill 5 skaggs mission and stop for tonight". 12 hours later and I'm on level 14.

I have a few questions though.

1 - At what point can I start playing together with other folks online? Can I start a co-op match right after getting off the bus after the intro, or do I have to wait till I complete a few missions in Fyrestone?

2 - I noticed that some weapons show damage with a number like 2, and then a flashing multiplier x12... what does that mean exactly?

3 - Is there more DLC coming after General Knoxx?

Also, I already want a sequel.

Chris_C said:
Okay, so I just picked this game up yesterday (I was VERY skeptical of it pre-release).

All I can say is .... wow.

I started out thinking, "I'll just do the kill 5 skaggs mission and stop for tonight". 12 hours later and I'm on level 14.

I have a few questions though.

1 - At what point can I start playing together with other folks online? Can I start a co-op match right after getting off the bus after the intro, or do I have to wait till I complete a few missions in Fyrestone?

2 - I noticed that some weapons show damage with a number like 2, and then a flashing multiplier x12... what does that mean exactly?

3 - Is there more DLC coming after General Knoxx?

Also, I already want a sequel.
1 - Pretty much immediately, but it's more fun if you find someone of a similar level that's at about the same story mission you're on.

2 - That's mostly shotguns. It shoots 12 projectiles each one having a chance to hit an enemy and do damage.

3 - Yes, but they haven't given any details yet.

Hypereides

Gold Member
bmf said:
3 - Yes, but they haven't given any details yet.

OH YES OH YES

I didnt know that! I actually swung just to say that the Island of Dr.Ned is friggin awesome. My mind cant maintain this. Fuck yeah!

Still have General Knoxx DLC in my download queue till Ive aced Moxxi's trophies :D

highluxury said:
Still have General Knoxx DLC in my download queue till Ive aced Moxxi's trophies :D
What level character are you playing through moxxi's? Ronabo and I are currently working through, and we could really use a lower level character to host or a higher level character to help out. Currently running through these with a level 52 Siren and a 61 Soldier.

Hypereides

Gold Member
bmf said:
What level character are you playing through moxxi's? Ronabo and I are currently working through, and we could really use a lower level character to host or a higher level character to help out. Currently running through these with a level 52 Siren and a 61 Soldier.

Plowing my way through as a Hunter/Scavenger at Lv. 48.

EDIT: What version are you playing? Im on PS3, dont know if we're on the same platform :(

Kade

Teknoman said:
Where are all the PC GAF Borderlanders?

A lot of people quit the game after the first playthrough or even before that. I recently tried to get back into the game but couldn't find anyone that was interested.

My SteamID is kdyg, if you're interested in grouping.

bunbun777

I joined a game like usual, a siren named HHpufenstuff had a GIANT stash (100+)
of nothing but 61 amazing loot!! I was in shock-- then i invited my 2 roomies to the game- OMG teh looot......

Did u know there is a rarity past orange?

Unicorn

bunbun777 said:
I joined a game like usual, a siren named HHpufenstuff had a GIANT stash (100+)
of nothing but 61 amazing loot!! I was in shock-- then i invited my 2 roomies to the game- OMG teh looot......

Did u know there is a rarity past orange?
Yeah, Pearlescent. Major selling point for the Knoxx DLC

thaOwner

I could really use some help taking down Crawmerax. The fucker takes me down in three hits but am already at level 61. I have the PS3 version. Anyone up for the challenge ?

Enjoying the game immensely - I've put a couple of hundred hours into it, but I'm starting to accumulate a stack of annoyances with it. It's mostly things that could be fixed with relatively little work.

Moxxi's underdome is too much work for too little reward. I think it could be massively improved with a few tweaks. Add gains to weapon proficiencies or a way of receiving exp for kills upon completion. A total of 4 or 5 skill points instead of two. A way to take longer breaks in the 20 round missions. A bigger bank would be excellent too. The DLC seems like something that I need to do instead of something I want to do. It needs more built-in incentive.

General Knoxx needs needs two additional fast travel outposts. One to the north and one two the south.

The randomization of the backpack SDUs in the 2nd playthrough is a bit grating. It only leads to a grind to exploit. Could have been handled much better.

Dr. Ned's island is perfect. The only thing that would have made it better would have been for there to be more quests.

I rather do hope that the next DLC includes some sort of gun smith. Monster Hunter is starting to get to me in that manner.

Red

bmf said:
The double anarchy has to be treated like a shotgun that shoots a constant stream instead of bursts. I liked it for my first playthrough, but later a more accurate gun comes in handy. Repeaters titled 'torment' like 'fanged torment' or 'cold torment' have been pretty nice to me.
I have a double anarchy with 89% accuracy, something like 90x2 attack, a 2.4x scope, and over 80 bullets in the clip. It is by far my favorite gun so far (I'm playing through Knoxx, at level 45 or so right now).

Crunched said:
I have a double anarchy with 89% accuracy, something like 90x2 attack, a 2.4x scope, and over 80 bullets in the clip. It is by far my favorite gun so far (I'm playing through Knoxx, at level 45 or so right now).
A double anarchy should be a x4 - there are other SMGs that are x2 and have high accuracy rates. It could also be a naming bug where you ended up with a double of another type that got named anarchy.

Uncle AJ

Teknoman said:
Where are all the PC GAF Borderlanders?

I've played it on PC for over 200 hours now. The week Knoxx came out had me hooked all week long, particularly. Ended up skipping classes to play it so much. But now... what's the point? I literally have nothing left to do in that game except keep killing Crawmerax and going for pearl weapons, but that gets old (and frustrating) fast.

Mo the Hawk said:
I've played it on PC for over 200 hours now. The week Knoxx came out had me hooked all week long, particularly. Ended up skipping classes to play it so much. But now... what's the point? I literally have nothing left to do in that game except keep killing Crawmerax and going for pearl weapons, but that gets old (and frustrating) fast.
Build one of each character. There's also supposed to be at least one more DLC.

-PXG-

Alright GAF. I maxed out my Roland (lvl 50), got 100% on playthrough 1, 2 ( working on the 3rd) and the zombie island. I didn't like the Under Dome. Should I get Genral Knoxx? 61 level increase sounds hawt...

-PXG- said:
Alright GAF. I maxed out my Roland (lvl 50), got 100% on playthrough 1, 2 ( working on the 3rd) and the zombie island. I didn't like the Under Dome. Should I get Genral Knoxx? 61 level increase sounds hawt...
General Knoxx is awesome. Grab it, and if you're on XBL - join me. bmfr0sty.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I just came across it trying to look up some stuff on the Wiki and figured nobody would mind if I shared it.

Apparently there was a bunch of stuff cut from the game describing the areas, critters, history of Pandora, etc.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Pandora#History
Audio files from Helena Pierce about the areas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgI7Sa9F03s
Audio files on the critters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrJ6No4qqAE

There's also some backstory and hierarchy to the Bandits, Kobbs, Marcus Kincaid, etc. on the Wiki that I either didn't see or forgot from in-game. The Kincaid page in particular has an interesting take on the actual reality of the game: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Marcus_Kincaid#Involvement

JAD0109 said:

Man, my wife found one that had both powers. Regeneration and x4 ammo damage. She also had all the buffs leveled up as a siren which increased her smg fire rate. She was basically unstoppable after that point. It was insanity.

borderlandscrash.png

I can't play Borderlands because of this goddamn crash immediately after it loads. It's the Steam version with the zombie DLC installed. What the fuck, man.

Hela

I desperately need to do "It's like christmas" quest with someone, because it fucking glitched for me while playing online and now I can't do it on my own. It's the last one I need for the last achievement and it drives me mental.

GT: Helaa

DeadFalling said:
Any news on a GOTY edition yet? (includes all DLC, etc.)

That'd be interesting. I played Borderlands a tiny bit when it first came out but I never got around to buying it. Is there any word on a sequel as well?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really wanted the Zombie Island, so i bought that on Steam. However, i'm not into General Knoxx or Mad Moxxi. I wish they would either discount them heavily (like 50%) or make a pack when the next one comes out.

Top Bottom