• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Insaniac said:
Still waiting for the Borderlands 2 announcement Gearbox...
And here's what I'd be looking for in said announcement (in my dreams):

* More loot! Armor parts and gear, like bandoleers, mule packs, melee weapons, skins, etc..
* Weapon and armor customization. Silencers, scopes, stocks, skins, etc. Collect rare items, break them down to parts. Break down enough items and you can tool the parts yourself for use at the workbench.
* Special areas that always scale to your level. The normal campaign world would still be designed for specific levels, but special "Dungeons" would always scale to your level and present a consistent challenge for a full squad.
* Redesigned loot drop system. Guarantee good items when defeating bosses and raiding dungeons.
* Upgraded vehicle handling including better suspension. Customize vehicles with weapon cupolas, and upgraded armor plating. More gear will weigh down your vehicle though, so don't take your tank to the race track.
* Shared loot storage. Each player will have their own armory, shareable between all of their characters by default. Players can also make a "public" armory, open to friends to use.
* New trade system enables safe swaps between characters online.
* New character classes: Riggers, who use their special ability to hack into and control automated defenses, security doors, cameras and vehicle systems. Sappers, who use mines , artillery and prototype gadgets to aid their friends in battle. Beast Riders, who make a formidable battle duo with their mounts, specializing in polearm weaponry and using the natural attacks and defenses of their mounts.

Ahhh... yeah. Its only a dream. But one can dream no?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Because of the recent Steam sale, I'd be in on a Borderlands 4pack. If someone in America could set one up, that would be great. I'd paypal you immediatly.

Chris R

So thanks to the Steam sale I jumped all over this game finally (10.89 for Borderlands + General Knoxx. Now I just need help deconsolefying my game. What steps should I take? I remember there being a huge uproar over the horrible UI and other things that work great for consoles but suck for PC.

Sciz

rhfb said:
So thanks to the Steam sale I jumped all over this game finally (10.89 for Borderlands + General Knoxx. Now I just need help deconsolefying my game. What steps should I take? I remember there being a huge uproar over the horrible UI and other things that work great for consoles but suck for PC.
This is the thread for you.

rc213

NullPointer said:
And here's what I'd be looking for in said announcement (in my dreams):

* More loot! Armor parts and gear, like bandoleers, mule packs, melee weapons, skins, etc..
* Weapon and armor customization. Silencers, scopes, stocks, skins, etc. Collect rare items, break them down to parts. Break down enough items and you can tool the parts yourself for use at the workbench.
* Special areas that always scale to your level. The normal campaign world would still be designed for specific levels, but special "Dungeons" would always scale to your level and present a consistent challenge for a full squad.
* Redesigned loot drop system. Guarantee good items when defeating bosses and raiding dungeons.
* Upgraded vehicle handling including better suspension. Customize vehicles with weapon cupolas, and upgraded armor plating. More gear will weigh down your vehicle though, so don't take your tank to the race track.
* Shared loot storage. Each player will have their own armory, shareable between all of their characters by default. Players can also make a "public" armory, open to friends to use.
* New trade system enables safe swaps between characters online.
* New character classes: Riggers, who use their special ability to hack into and control automated defenses, security doors, cameras and vehicle systems. Sappers, who use mines , artillery and prototype gadgets to aid their friends in battle. Beast Riders, who make a formidable battle duo with their mounts, specializing in polearm weaponry and using the natural attacks and defenses of their mounts.

Ahhh... yeah. Its only a dream. But one can dream no?

Oh Oh Oh. <3

I'm hoping they take their time in announcing a sequel. I played the shit out of the first one both solo and online with friends.

Killer

Banned
Just finished the game today and i'm working on finishing the side missions. OH MY GOD I'M ADDICTED!!

Anyway, is there any guide to find all the Claptraps in the game? and do you guys recommend getting all the DLC? I heard one of them sucked but i'm not sure which one.

Sciz

Killer said:
Just finished the game today and i'm working on finishing the side missions. OH MY GOD I'M ADDICTED!!

Anyway, is there any guide to find all the Claptraps in the game? and do you guys recommend getting all the DLC? I heard one of them sucked but i'm not sure which one.
There is a Borderlands wiki. It is very informative.

Mad Moxxi's is the iffy one, but it does feature a bank and a couple skill points for the truly obsessed. Zombie Island is pretty good and worth the sale price just to experience it. General Knoxx is completely awesome and would probably still feel like a good buy at $20.

BigDug13 said:
I heard mention awhile back about them developing a sequel called Borderworlds with varied locales (planets).
They filed a trademark for it. What most news sites missed is that it was filed back in 2007.

Retro

I'd like to see them take a crazy angle with Borderlands 2...

1. The game takes place off Pandora;
the big ass alien monster inside the vault
has friends working for him and they're slowly making their way into known space; you're tasked with leaving Pandora and taking out this alien presence across a variety of worlds. For the sequel, the"Borderlands" refers to the border between human and alien space.

Instantly this means more settings; desert wastelands, urban areas, jungles, etc. More variety in enemies, mission structure, etc.

2. Customizable gear. Better weapons and armors have expansion slots (similar to just about every Lootwhore game out there) that you can stick upgrades into. The really basic upgrades would just be stat boosts, or slap some extra elemental damage in there. The more advanced stuff could add new alternative fire modes (grenade launchers on your pistol :lol) and just cool new effects.

3. More interesting advancement structure. Talent Trees are alright, but I'd like to see something more... open ended. Maybe even do away with classes entirely and just have everyone kind of build their own.

Havok

Retro said:
I'd like to see them take a crazy angle with Borderlands 2...

1. The game takes place off Pandora;
the big ass alien monster inside the vault
has friends working for him and they're slowly making their way into known space; you're tasked with leaving Pandora and taking out this alien presence across a variety of worlds. For the sequel, the"Borderlands" refers to the border between human and alien
Didn't they file a trademark for "Borderworlds" a while back? It could fit.

Killer

Banned
Sciz said:
There is a Borderlands wiki. It is very informative.

Mad Moxxi's is the iffy one, but it does feature a bank and a couple skill points for the truly obsessed. Zombie Island is pretty good and worth the sale price just to experience it. General Knoxx is completely awesome and would probably still feel like a good buy at $20.[/url]

Thanks for the link. I might get all of them eventually but i don't see any sale on the expansions on xbox 360. I think you meant on Steam.

Chris R

So I've got some of the tweaks running, and the game now looks and plays pretty damn well. Just sucks that there are no steam achievements :(

OH WELL off to go kill some more skags.

edgefusion

Quixzlizx said:
Are all of the DLC packs high-quality?

Mad Moxxi's underdrome is a waste of money, development time and hard drive space. Dr. Ned (Or Zed, I forget) was alright but felt a bit empty and boring, runs absolutely horrendously badly on consoles too. I've not completed the last DLC yet because the previous ones kind of soured it for me.

Quixzlizx said:
Are all of the DLC packs high-quality?
My take: They're all high quality, but not all worthwhile. Depends on what you're looking for.

Island of Dr. Ned is great, and I'd recommend it for solo play or maybe two players. A full group will just lay waste. Its funny as hell, mixes things up, and puts a nice spooky vibe on the place. The "brainssssss" quest is a giant waste of time though.

Mad Moxxie is what you want to do if you want to play as a full squad (at least 3 players), want to be challenged (how about no shields against waves of bad-asses?), and don't mind the overwhelming repetition and time investment necessary to get the achievements. It would've been great for dirt cheap, as it is fun at first.

Armory of Knoxx is a mixed bag for me. Its very vehicle focused, so prepare to do a ton of driving, and ready up for a ton of vehicle based combat. The on foot stuff is intense too so you get your money's worth. The problem is that it raises the level cap to 60 but that's the ONLY zone you'll be able to fight against enemies in the 50-60 range, so you kill your replayability with those characters (unless you love Mad Moxxie, that is).

I got all three, but looking back at how I play I would've just bought Dr. Ned and been fine with that.

Just bought all 3 DLC off Steam (all 3 for the price of 1 !), and the game suddenly became 50% downloaded. I launch it, and it tells me its updating Borderlands now, but it doesnt appear to be downloading anything, with an hour long timer, which is slowly going down.

This the norm ?

Quixzlizx

NullPointer said:
My take: They're all high quality, but not all worthwhile. Depends on what you're looking for.

Island of Dr. Ned is great, and I'd recommend it for solo play or maybe two players. A full group will just lay waste. Its funny as hell, mixes things up, and puts a nice spooky vibe on the place. The "brainssssss" quest is a giant waste of time though.

Mad Moxxie is what you want to do if you want to play as a full squad (at least 3 players), want to be challenged (how about no shields against waves of bad-asses?), and don't mind the overwhelming repetition and time investment necessary to get the achievements. It would've been great for dirt cheap, as it is fun at first.

Armory of Knoxx is a mixed bag for me. Its very vehicle focused, so prepare to do a ton of driving, and ready up for a ton of vehicle based combat. The on foot stuff is intense too so you get your money's worth. The problem is that it raises the level cap to 60 but that's the ONLY zone you'll be able to fight against enemies in the 50-60 range, so you kill your replayability with those characters (unless you love Mad Moxxie, that is).

I got all three, but looking back at how I play I would've just bought Dr. Ned and been fine with that.

Thanks for the detailed impressions.

Thinking of skipping Crackdown 2 and picking up Borderlands instead...I know it's only $10 on Steam right now, but my computer isn't top of the line, and I really prefer controller set ups. Usually at least. Hmmm...

Zertez

All 3 DLC are well made, but they all offer something a little different.

Dr Ned has a lot of humor, the environment and setting is well done and it is enjoyable playing solo or co-op.

Mad Moxie is fun co-op and can be a nice challenge solo, but the second round of arenas is ridiculous. The amount of time needed to finish the second round of the arenas is insane. That is my biggest complaint with Mad Moxie.

General Knoxx is my favorite of the three. You can solo all of it and running Craw co-op is worthwhile for the increase in drops. The increase in level and drops is what I enjoyed most about General Knoxx. I still havent found a pearl yet, but I have a ton of very nice guns from Armory/Craw runs. The drop rate on pearls is horrible and they should have increased it before going live with the DLC. I have ran Craw over 200 times solo/co-op and have not seen even one Pearl. In a game that doesnt revolve around pvp, a higher Pearl drop rate would not hurt anything. I understand them wanting the guns to be rare, but the weapons are not that much better than other high end guns. A Pearl drop or two would have kept my interests longer. End rant.

In Borderlands 2, I would like to see more areas set up just as loot runs. Have all boss mobs respawn, so you can kill them any time you like, ala Diablo 2/ Titans Quest. In games that focus on loot, farming areas should be part of development from the beginning imo. There is places that you can farm in Borderlands, but it is more because of the mob level range than something they planned for.

Ravidrath

So... it is remotely feasible to level to 61 in the first playthrough? Or even 50?

I'm currently stuck at level 44, and got... about half a level from playing through General Knoxx with some friends. Wasn't that supposed to be levels 35-61 or something?

Level 50 is the last Trophy I need for Platinum, but... man, it seems painful if I have to go through the 2nd playthrough to get it.

Ravidrath said:
So... it is remotely feasible to level to 61 in the first playthrough? Or even 50?

I'm currently stuck at level 44, and got... about half a level from playing through General Knoxx with some friends. Wasn't that supposed to be levels 35-61 or something?

Level 50 is the last Trophy I need for Platinum, but... man, it seems painful if I have to go through the 2nd playthrough to get it.

Two playthroughs are necessary.

First time wifey and I played it we finished every single quest and every single sidequest and we were at like Level 35. This was before the DLCS.

Second playthrough we only did the main story missions and the DLCS and managed to hit 61 midway through the General Knoxx DLC.

ALaz502 said:
Two playthroughs are necessary.

First time wifey and I played it we finished every single quest and every single sidequest and we were at like Level 35. This was before the DLCS.

Second playthrough we only did the main story missions and the DLCS and managed to hit 61 midway through the General Knoxx DLC.
Yeah. The only way to level is to continue to fight baddies that have some chance to kill you. There's no real way to grind.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Borderlands ($10.19) and the DLC threepack ($10.17) are on sale on Steam right now. Should I pick this up? I'm probably not going to play it for another month, I need to get a new PC.

I got some Q's.

1. Is it easy to get a party to play with?
2. Will I be able to easily find people to play with if I'm just starting?
3. How much time should I set aside for a session? Is it like L4D where I need to set aside a couple of hours?
4. Is the DLC popular? Does a lot of the community have it, or will it splinter me off?
5. Is Borderlands 2 coming soon, making this game worthless?
6. Is there a healthy online population? Any trouble finding games?

Sanjay

The DLC, at what level do you want to be for trying them out each one of them? I would like to experience them best as possible.

grumble

Zertez said:
In Borderlands 2, I would like to see more areas set up just as loot runs. Have all boss mobs respawn, so you can kill them any time you like, ala Diablo 2/ Titans Quest. In games that focus on loot, farming areas should be part of development from the beginning imo. There is places that you can farm in Borderlands, but it is more because of the mob level range than something they planned for.

Frankly, that would make the game way more about grinding for loot, and a lot of people don't find that fun. If this system were to be implemented, then BL2 should offer a wider range of loot, so that there is always something new to get; otherwise, it'll be repetitive.

Personally, I think that BL2 should take a couple of pages from the D2 and upcoming D3, but avoid their weaknesses (endless grinding boss runs for low-probability drops). Things like upgrading, gambling, customization, weapons that have more extreme characteristics with positives and negatives and specialized uses, more types of loot, set items, etc. I found the loot aspect to be fantastic in an FPS, but there is still a lot of room for changes and improvements.

So like I need BL people to run with. I hate going into random online groups and they just want to duel and well.............suck at the game.

Steam: Ke0
Gamespy: Kettobase

Trickster

Just bought this at the steam sale. Was looking forward to jumping in and getting my lootwhore satisfied. But right from the start, my frame rate was all over the place. It runs perfectly if I look at the empty wasteland. But if there is just a small settlement the framerate will dip significantly, making gameplay quite unenjoyable. And If I'm in a town, my frame rate is straight up unplayable.

I can't really understand why I'm getting this kind of performance in this game. I saw some people saying it was a relatively easy game to run.

For reference, I don't really have any problems running games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and Batman: AA with most/all of the bells and whistles on.

Any answers would be much apreciated.

Sanjay said:
The DLC, at what level do you want to be for trying them out each one of them? I would like to experience them best as possible.

From the wiki:

Zombie Island
# Minimum Level Requirement: 10. Enemies scale according to player's current story progress in playthrough 1, 2, and 2.5.
# Note: enemies do not scale above level 50, so if you complete DLC3 first (and get well above 50) there will be little challenge here

It doesn't have the info for the other two. You can just fast travel to them (the Underdome and T-Bone Junction), get the first mission and see what the suggested levels are. I know that playthrough 2 of General Knoxx suggests a level 51.

MoFuzz

Trickster said:
Just bought this at the steam sale. Was looking forward to jumping in and getting my lootwhore satisfied. But right from the start, my frame rate was all over the place. It runs perfectly if I look at the empty wasteland. But if there is just a small settlement the framerate will dip significantly, making gameplay quite unenjoyable. And If I'm in a town, my frame rate is straight up unplayable.

I can't really understand why I'm getting this kind of performance in this game. I saw some people saying it was a relatively easy game to run.

For reference, I don't really have any problems running games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and Batman: AA with most/all of the bells and whistles on.

Any answers would be much apreciated.
Make sure you are using the latest drivers from your GPU maker and disable dynamic shadows for a large performance increase.

Trickster

MoFuzz said:
Make sure you are using the latest drivers from your GPU maker and disable dynamic shadows for a large performance increase.

Haven't checked my driver yet. But I did try to turn off a multitude of graphical options, nothing improved the fps noticably, dynamic shadows included :/

MoFuzz

Trickster said:
Haven't checked my driver yet. But I did try to turn off a multitude of graphical options, nothing improved the fps noticably, dynamic shadows included :/
Are you using a Radeon based card? I recall it having some serious performance issues with earlier driversets back when the game first came out.

Dynamic shadows practically the only setting that makes a difference for me. Having it on means occasional dips to mid 40's. Having it off gives a very steady 60 fps.

Trickster

MoFuzz said:
Are you using a Radeon based card? I recall it having some serious performance issues with earlier driversets back when the game first came out.

Dynamic shadows practically the only setting that makes a difference for me. Having it on means occasional dips to mid 40's. Having it off gives a very steady 60 fps.

Nah, I use a 9800gt card. Processor is an intel 8500E and got 6 gigs of ram.

A friend and I picked up Borderlands for 360 yesterday. So far so good. A good Co-Op game just can't be beat in my book. Only up to Level 13 but definitely enjoying it and having fun.

nexen

Picked up Borderlands from the steam sale.

I didn't like it much at first but then my inner loot/leveling whore woke up and now I'm totally addicted to it. Great, great art style too.

I'm looking for some Steam friends who don't rush through the damn game like a timebomb is wired to their computer. Any takers?

grumble

grumble said:
Frankly, that would make the game way more about grinding for loot, and a lot of people don't find that fun. If this system were to be implemented, then BL2 should offer a wider range of loot, so that there is always something new to get; otherwise, it'll be repetitive.

Personally, I think that BL2 should take a couple of pages from the D2 and upcoming D3, but avoid their weaknesses (endless grinding boss runs for low-probability drops). Things like upgrading, gambling, customization, weapons that have more extreme characteristics with positives and negatives and specialized uses, more types of loot, set items, etc. I found the loot aspect to be fantastic in an FPS, but there is still a lot of room for changes and improvements.

Ooh, or maybe even combine all of that stuff with something a little different, like a Fallout 3 vibe with loot drops, cutomization of weapons, etc

That would be the best game EVER

LM4sure

Banned
I picked this up as well from the Steam sale. Played for an hour or so, but in that hour, I was disconnected 3 or 4 times. WTF? The host leaves and then you're kicked out of the game? I don't like that one bit. Probably best to play with friends I guess.

Salz01

Ack.... I just saw this thread and the the game is on a Steam sale. Please tell me the sale for this is still for today so I can get home and start downloading it.

Salz01 said:
Ack.... I just saw this thread and the the game is on a Steam sale. Please tell me the sale for this is still for today so I can get home and start downloading it.

Nope was on sale Sunday and another day last week but it's back to full price now.

Me too, SteamID: ItsNerveDamage

Except, first I need to get rid of this extra 5th gun slot I ended up with because it turns out your character inherits weird host .ini edits.

Top Bottom