• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

KZObsessed

Right, the only tophy I need for 100% is the Angelic Ruins Larger Challenge trophy. The other day I joined a server that was on round 5, stayed all the way to round 18 at which point there's a connection error with the host and the game ends.

Today, I join a game near the beginning an get to round 15 at which point the son of a mother fucking bitch host "kevchilla" kicks me from the game. I try and rejoin and it's full. Presumaby he did it to get his friend into the game to get the trophy.

Fuck this shitty ass DLC and everyone who made it.

Coldsnap

KZObsessed said:
Right, the only tophy I need for 100% is the Angelic Ruins Larger Challenge trophy. The other day I joined a server that was on round 5, stayed all the way to round 18 at which point there's a connection error with the host and the game ends.

Today, I join a game near the beginning an get to round 15 at which point the son of a mother fucking bitch host "kevchilla" kicks me from the game. I try and rejoin and it's full. Presumaby he did it to get his friend into the game to get the trophy.

Fuck this shitty ass DLC and everyone who made it.

dang dude. I just bought Moxxys DLC and I thought the 5 round game I played was way too long, is there seriously a 15 round game?!

I'm looking to plow through Moxxy's soon. I'm currently running a level 49 Siren. I'm looking for someone at a lower level to host the game, or someone at a higher level to join on to my game. If anyone's up for it, my gamertag is bmfr0sty. Send me a friend request.

EDIT: It would be nice if we had a soldier with some points attributed to healing, and possibly a matching class mod.

Coldsnap said:
dang dude. I just bought Moxxys DLC and I thought the 5 round game I played was way too long, is there seriously a 15 round game?!

No, there's a 20-rounder for each map and a trophy/achievement for beating all three.

There's a trick to making the 20-rounders not last more than 5 hours each. If for some reason, that didn't put you off, reply here and I'll tell you how. :lol

KZObsessed

Once again I get to round 15 and host kicks me smh. So I hosted my own server, should have done this from the start.

If anyone wants to join and get the trophy, I'm currently on Round 18 of Angelic Ruins.

PSN: FFObsessed

I've been waiting on a 'GOTY' edition or whatever it's called where it's the original game and all dlc bundled into one package for a while now... What are the chances of one actually coming out for this game? Am I simply wasting my time?

Coldsnap

Gaming Truth said:
No, there's a 20-rounder for each map and a trophy/achievement for beating all three.

There's a trick to making the 20-rounders not last more than 5 hours each. If for some reason, that didn't put you off, reply here and I'll tell you how. :lol

wow five hours of straight playing without dying, I should have never bought the DLC

Chris R

DeadFalling said:
I've been waiting on a 'GOTY' edition or whatever it's called where it's the original game and all dlc bundled into one package for a while now... What are the chances of one actually coming out for this game? Am I simply wasting my time?
I'm waiting too. No way it ISN'T coming, just trying to figure when they would put it out :| I mean I'd be expecting it by like the end of May or something.

DeadFalling said:
I'd expect it for late summer or fall. If you want to do this sooner, I'd suggest just getting a copy of the game in one of the many sales that happen, and picking up points cheap for the DLC.

I'd also be surprised if there isn't another DLC.

Edit:

XBox for $40

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WMEEB2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or

PS3 for $37

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WMEEB2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Free shipping either way.

KZObsessed

Finally did it... *dies*

Took almost 5 hours... got stuck at Round 19/20 and kept dying and being put back. Urgh.

Platinum 100%

YOU CANNOT DEFEAT ME GEARBOX!

In single-player, do mini-bosses respawn?

I had to start my game over because of a corrupt save, so I just beat Bonehead and obtained the part that allows me access to vehicles for the first time. Now I'm doing a quest from that jobs board where I have to find five data records. The entry point for that area is where I killed Bonehead, but when I got back there, there's Bonehead and his gang prowling around again.

Is this going to happen with every mini-boss I defeat? Leave the area, come back and they're alive again?

Lucky Forward said:
In single-player, do mini-bosses respawn?

I had to start my game over because of a corrupt save, so I just beat Bonehead and obtained the part that allows me access to vehicles for the first time. Now I'm doing a quest from that jobs board where I have to find five data records. The entry point for that area is where I killed Bonehead, but when I got back there, there's Bonehead and his gang prowling around again.

Is this going to happen with every mini-boss I defeat? Leave the area, come back and they're alive again?
I think it only happens when you exit and reenter the game.

Verapamil

Banned
My most consistent re-spawn miniboss (Bonehead) is the one just around the corner from Fyrestone on the right. I haven't gone looking, though.

It has been on re-loads that he respawns from my experience as well. Set-piece bosses do not respawn, I do not believe.

Coldsnap said:
wow five hours of straight playing without dying, I should have never bought the DLC

Technically not true. You can die, but a whole helluva lot of progress gets lost.

This is how I did it:
1. Created a second local XBox Live (Silver) account.
2. Grinded up a character to get to the Fast Travel quest (lvl 20).
3. Exited. Created a split-screen game hosted by my lvl 20.
4. Joined with my actual character (who was 50 at the time).
5. 5 hours x 3 later, got through the 100 waves necessary to get that stupid achievement.

The way I did it completely defeats the purpose of the DLC, since all the enemies are level 20 (if you die as a 50, you f'd up. if you died as a 60 with exp loot, your batteries were dead).

If I were on the team, I would have designed Moxxi as follows:
1. Kept the 5-rounders exactly as they did.
2. Allowed weapon proficiency gains. The best DLC for that is still Dr. Ned's.
3. Made the 20-rounders, 10's that started where Round 11 currently does.
4. If you fail, you restart exactly where you died. No wave/round reset BS.

KZObsessed

What is with this ridiculous bug at Crawmerax's Lair where you just constantly fall through the lift over and over? How did that get through QA? Not to mention the horrific framerate when playing splitscreen (PS3 version)

Me & my brother can kill Crawmerax now pretty easily, as long as we can make it past the HARDEST BOSS OF THEM ALL... THE LIFT! Pearlescent drops are far too rare, but I'm gonna keep going til I get my Serpens.

I would like another DLC, maybe set on a moon or another planet and set things up for BorderWorlds :p

I've been trying to determine if I'm missing any missions. Most of the missions seem unmissable as they're generated through bounty boards opened up in the main story, but I know that there's also green thumb, the bandit's three keys, the Lumberyard Claptrap, and the Brains series. Are there any others that I should look for?

rc213

bmf said:
I've been trying to determine if I'm missing any missions. Most of the missions seem unmissable as they're generated through bounty boards opened up in the main story, but I know that there's also green thumb, the bandit's three keys, the Lumberyard Claptrap, and the Brains series. Are there any others that I should look for?

Thirsty the Midget and Radar Locator in the Knoxx DLC.

rc213

bmf said:
Totally getting my money's worth out of this game. I would happily pay $60 for a sequel.

Same here, I hope they have more DLC planned. I am just missing the Moxxy DLC because I don't enjoy grinding out shit, I almost broke my controller trying to finish the Circle of Duty mission. :lol

rc213 said:
Same here, I hope they have more DLC planned. I am just missing the Moxxy DLC because I don't enjoy grinding out shit, I almost broke my controller trying to finish the Circle of Duty mission. :lol
I came through the Playthrough 1 circle of duty missions overleveled and was spoiled for it. Moxxi's isn't so bad if you can get a slightly lower level player to host it. It just takes a while. I really wish they had found a way to make it more palatable though. Allowing you to gain experience would have been enough. Possibly not knocking you back so many missions for a death. Otherwise I'm pretty fine with an arena situation. The extra skill point at the end of the first three arenas was pretty nice though. I'll hopefully be doing the next three soon.

Reading more, it appears that there are only two skill points per character in the DLC. Bumping it up to 4 would have been nice. It feels almost like a worthless grind. :( meh.

rc213

bmf said:
I came through the Playthrough 1 circle of duty missions overleveled and was spoiled for it. Moxxi's isn't so bad if you can get a slightly lower level player to host it. It just takes a while. I really wish they had found a way to make it more palatable though. Allowing you to gain experience would have been enough. Possibly not knocking you back so many missions for a death. Otherwise I'm pretty fine with an arena situation. The extra skill point at the end of the first three arenas was pretty nice though. I'll hopefully be doing the next three soon.

Reading more, it appears that there are only two skill points per character in the DLC. Bumping it up to 4 would have been nice. It feels almost like a worthless grind. :( meh.

The fact that they put the Locker in paid dlc pissed me off and then you add in the fact that the size of it was so low for paid content was worse. I was really hoping for a bit more size and making accessible by all characters would have been perfect.

rc213 said:
The fact that they put the Locker in paid dlc pissed me off and then you add in the fact that the size of it was so low for paid content was worse. I was really hoping for a bit more size and making accessible by all characters would have been perfect.
It really just needs a set of tweaks. The idea of it isn't that bad. The music is great. The arenas are well enough constructed. The gimmick is pretty fun. It just fails in the way it's tweaked. It's frightfully annoying that the arenas are more or less a grind, but they take away the main advantage of the grind. If they didn't, I'd use them for doing things like building Eridian proficiency. As it is, the cost/benefit ratio is balanced completely wrong.

Almak

bmf said:
It really just needs a set of tweaks. The idea of it isn't that bad. The music is great. The arenas are well enough constructed. The gimmick is pretty fun. It just fails in the way it's tweaked. It's frightfully annoying that the arenas are more or less a grind, but they take away the main advantage of the grind. If they didn't, I'd use them for doing things like building Eridian proficiency. As it is, the cost/benefit ratio is balanced completely wrong.
More guns, fewer waves and proficiency gain would have done it for me. As is though I know for a fact that even with all the known exploits and shortcuts wiki describes I will never finish those quests which is unfortunate, I could use thopse skill points but its just not fun.

Oh yeah. The Bank is something they could have expanded to be much more and made it easier for things that people were doing anyway, but instead it's just a locker. It would have been nice if it could have been used for trading weapons between characters in a profile. Would have been much more convenient than the trusted host method or the split-screen multiple profile method.

men...don't know if someone already wrote it...but i found a crazy way to lift up the weapons profiency...i got to lvl. 50 with eridian and assault rifle in a short time. Probably a bug...it's so strange that it doesn't make sense :D

The_Ayertosco said:
men...don't know if someone already wrote it...but i found a crazy way to lift up the weapons profiency...i got to lvl. 50 with eridian and assault rifle in a short time. Probably a bug...it's so strange that it doesn't make sense :D
And are you going to share?

obviously: try to understand 'cause i have the italian version of the game and i don't know how things are named in the english version.

you have to go to the Sunken Sea. Just straight from the entrance portal there's a broken highway and to the left there's an Hyperion AD. Just below the AD there's a shack on a puddle with a dwarf inside that gives special quest. The last quest is to kill Mechanical head, a modified Sledge that's at the north of Tbone junction (railroad i think). So...every time you kill it, you gain a plain level of profiency (more of less) with the weapon you used. And he respawns every time. So as you kill it, just exit the game saving and do it again.

Almak

I cant decide if I love the boss bugs or hate them. On one hand its kind of a retro throwback, knowing that almost every boss can be "gamed" to ridiculous ease and figuring it out, on the other though killing Crawmerax the supposedly ultimate boss for the 10th time in under several minutes kind of diminishes the experience value.

Almak said:
I cant decide if I love the boss bugs or hate them. On one hand its kind of a retro throwback, knowing that almost every boss can be "gamed" to ridiculous ease and figuring it out, on the other though killing Crawmerax the supposedly ultimate boss for the 10th time in under several minutes kind of diminishes the experience value.
Sometimes I think this game relies on level too much. I don't know if there would have been a more elegant solution though.

Well...personally i don't mind...having finished the game 25 hours ago the only things left out are the weapon levels so sometimes when i play alone i kill sledge to raise some levels on weapons that i never used (sniper, SMG). It can obviously ruin the fun to play if used to hax a base character

The_Ayertosco said:
Well...personally i don't mind...having finished the game 25 hours ago the only things left out are the weapon levels so sometimes when i play alone i kill sledge to raise some levels on weapons that i never used (sniper, SMG). It can obviously ruin the fun to play if used to hax a base character
At a certain point you run out of things to do on a character. I wonder if they'll up the level cap again in another DLC.

Hugbot

The_Ayertosco said:
obviously: try to understand 'cause i have the italian version of the game and i don't know how things are named in the english version.

you have to go to the Sunken Sea. Just straight from the entrance portal there's a broken highway and to the left there's an Hyperion AD. Just below the AD there's a shack on a puddle with a dwarf inside that gives special quest. The last quest is to kill Mechanical head, a modified Sledge that's at the north of Tbone junction (railroad i think). So...every time you kill it, you gain a plain level of profiency (more of less) with the weapon you used. And he respawns every time. So as you kill it, just exit the game saving and do it again.
He also has a chance of dropping a really powerful gun, that has the added benefit of chewing through disgusting amounts of ammo.

To Expand:
The gun is called "The Chopper". It is very easy to get to/kill him, and you'll very likely have to do it a lot. What you are looking for is, most importantly, a high fire rate. The highest I've seen is 16.8, this is good! There are some that are slower, these can be good too, but faster is always better. Secondary is damage, 160-200 is the sweet spot.

Now, Soldiers make the best use of this, because of the Turret's ability to give ammo, and Metal Storm/Assault/Overload/Impact. Your build can look something like THIS, but the important parts are those 4 skills and a way to regenerate ammo. Supply Drop is much, much better than Stockpile, but a point in Stockpile wouldn't hurt too much.

Last thing you're gonna want is a good class mod. I prefer a Rifleman with fairly high ammo regen (I would probably look for 15+), but Heavy Gunner isn't bad either, especially if you're going to have backup weapons.

Now this thing is a complete bullet hose, and once you pull the trigger it will empty the magazine, and it has a really deep one. Expect to run out of ammo if you don't have enough regen/spray fire too wildly, but if you cross that hurdle it does pretty insane damage.

Melee to interrupt the firing and it will help a ton.

Almak

Hugbot said:
He also has a chance of dropping a really powerful gun, that has the added benefit of chewing through disgusting amounts of ammo.

To Expand:
The gun is called "The Chopper". It is very easy to get to/kill him, and you'll very likely have to do it a lot. What you are looking for is, most importantly, a high fire rate. The highest I've seen is 16.8, this is good! There are some that are slower, these can be good too, but faster is always better. Secondary is damage, 160-200 is the sweet spot.

Now, Soldiers make the best use of this, because of the Turret's ability to give ammo, and Metal Storm/Assault/Overload/Impact. Your build can look something like THIS, but the important parts are those 4 skills and a way to regenerate ammo. Supply Drop is much, much better than Stockpile, but a point in Stockpile wouldn't hurt too much.

Last thing you're gonna want is a good class mod. I prefer a Rifleman with fairly high ammo regen (I would probably look for 15+), but Heavy Gunner isn't bad either, especially if you're going to have backup weapons.

Now this thing is a complete bullet hose, and once you pull the trigger it will empty the magazine, and it has a really deep one. Expect to run out of ammo if you don't have enough regen/spray fire too wildly, but if you cross that hurdle it does pretty insane damage.

Melee to interrupt the firing and it will help a ton.
I have that gun. There's something about it I didn't like. I think the accuracy was really bad. Cant remember exactly.

Hugbot

bmf said:
Motorhead can drop a better chopper?
Yeah, it's kind of a sliding scale. Some are pretty bad, but if you get a good one it's pretty rad.

I have that gun. There's something about it I didn't like. I think the accuracy was really bad. Cant remember exactly.
A lot of them I've found have really, really bad accuracy, but you should occasionally get one that is passable. It is kind of the whole "wall of lead" thing, though, so I never pay much attention. It just puts so many bullets out so quickly that as long as you're pretty close it shouldn't matter too much.

I also forgot to mention it shoots 4 bullets at a time, which doesn't help your ammo count.

The chopper that you grab from nine-toes is one of my favorite guns in the game. It loses it's usefulness too quickly though. I'd love to grab something to replace the fanged torment that's been the mainstay for my Siren though.

Yeah, i picked up different kind of choppers killing Motorhead, even a 18.0 rate fire. I use the 257x4 \ 16.8 one that's pretty nasty:D

You can stop its amno wasting pushing the reload button or changing weapons using the D-pad

Ronabo said:
I'm up for more tonight. We need more peeps so it'd go even faster :D
Well, I'll be able to tell you after my day has the chance to take shape a little more. I can certainly leave the session open and see if we get any joiners.

Zertez

I finally got around to buying General Knoxx dlc last week. After the bad taste left from Mad Moxxie, I held off for some player reviews to come in. This is my favorite dlc so far. The quests, humor and setting are not as good as Zombie Island, but the new weapons, circle of death, extra levels, special boss all make up for it. The lack of quick travel points is disappointing, but Ive gotten use to the maps and using the racer to go everywhere fairly quickly. Crawmerax is a lot of fun to farm for now. It will be nice if they add any more dlc, they will put in a couple challenging post game bosses to farm. Maybe a boss that soldiers/hunters can solo, but sirens/brick can not, then another boss but roles reverse.

I think Gearbox has something special and with a few tweaks, they can take console loot whore games to a new level. I hope gearbox listens to some of the suggestions from the community. Borderlands has become one of my favorite games this generation. I would like to see a better gun generator, tough extra bosses that are farmable post game, a better proving grounds zone, more classes and better skill tree and skills in Borderworlds.

Zertez said:
I think Gearbox has something special and with a few tweaks, they can take console loot whore games to a new level. I hope gearbox listens to some of the suggestions from the community. Borderlands has become one of my favorite games this generation. I would like to see a better gun generator, tough extra bosses that are farmable post game, a better proving grounds zone, more classes and better skill tree and skills in Borderworlds.
I'd like a personal gun machine. Make it like the normal gun machines, but allow the player to tell it what type of gun they want. For instance a Double Anarchy or Glorious Massacre. Have one in game per character, and have it reset every 20 minutes to a new gun of that type - level appropriate for your character. The cost of being able to have the machine generate the gun type you want would be a that the gun would cost twice as much.

spats

a Master Ninja said:
I just bought the game. Any quick tips for a newb? Common mistakes to avoid, something miss-able early on that's vital, words of wisdom, etc?

If playing on console, chances are the vehicle controls will piss you off a lot. Give them a chance though, they're not that bad once you get used to them.

Aim for the head.

Zertez

a Master Ninja said:
I just bought the game. Any quick tips for a newb? Common mistakes to avoid, something miss-able early on that's vital, words of wisdom, etc?
Try out different classes and skills as you go along. You can respec for pretty cheap, so dont worry about being stuck with a build. Get a feel for different types of guns that fit with your play style and build. Dont be so quick to sell a great weapon early on, even if it doesnt fit your build it will help with a few tough spots. Certain classes are better suited for classes of weapons, but you can still do good damage with other weapons as well. The humor is pretty great throughout the game, so dont rush to get to the end or you will miss some good stuff. Find a friend to play co-op if possible and lastly avoid Mad Moxxie dlc at all cost.

Top Bottom