• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

meppi

The one thing they need to patch before I buy any DLC is the PS3 mic problem.

Tried to play it online with a friend and the voice chat just doesn't work at all.
Sometimes you can hear half a second of sound coming through before it cuts off again and goes back to complete silence.

We're using the official Sony bluetooth headsets and have never had any issue when playing Killzone 2 for nearly 200 hours, or any other game for that matter.

This really sucks as the game itself is so much fun. :(

meppi said:
The one thing they need to patch before I buy any DLC is the PS3 mic problem.

Tried to play it online with a friend and the voice chat just doesn't work at all.
Sometimes you can hear half a second of sound coming through before it cuts off again and goes back to complete silence.

We're using the official Sony bluetooth headsets and have never had any issue when playing Killzone 2 for nearly 200 hours, or any other game for that matter.

This really sucks as the game itself is so much fun. :(
Uh, weird, I only have mic issues while in loading screens and maybe a couple of seconds after a level loads. I've been in full party games. I use the official PS2 usb headset (yeah, I suck, I know), a friend has the official bluetooth one and the other two guys have generic USB headsets.

Also: damn you guys for bumping the thread, I thought we had DLC news :p

Ravidrath

So just bought General Knoxx expansion and tried playing it, both single and multiplayer.

Within a few minutes, my system crashes: system is completely unresponsive, but the music is still playing. I need to turn the system power off to do anything. I have an 80 gig MGS4 BC "fat" system.

Looking at the official forums, they've known about this problem for three months now and it still isn't fixed...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just started the game yesterday... I like it so far.

What are some things to know when starting up? Should I just stick to using one gun, what's a good class to start with? I used the pistol/sniper class - seems okay so far. Can I use guns from other classes later on though?

Also I really really want to play online, but I'm sure there's probably few to no low level people playing the game. When's a good time to get online and start finding people to play with? I don't want to join a game with someone super high and gain like 30 levels in 10 minutes or anything, I want to be able to play through the normal game at a reasonable difficulty, but the online four player sounds intense though.

... one last question: anyone know if I can type/use keyboard in online games, or is the communication mic only?

Adam Prime said:

What are some things to know when starting up? Should I just stick to using one gun, what's a good class to start with? I used the pistol/sniper class - seems okay so far. Can I use guns from other classes later on though?

Also I really really want to play online, but I'm sure there's probably few to no low level people playing the game. When's a good time to get online and start finding people to play with? I don't want to join a game with someone super high and gain like 30 levels in 10 minutes or anything, I want to be able to play through the normal game at a reasonable difficulty, but the online four player sounds intense though.

... one last question: anyone know if I can type/use keyboard in online games, or is the communication mic only?
The matchmaking system they set up is decent. Whenever I restarted a character, it always found similarly-leveled people, with a max difference of like +/- 5 levels I believe.

When it comes to gun classes, just choose whatever you want. Of course each class has bonuses that really help out certain gun classes, but if that weapon (say rifle for the soldier) is lacking and you have a better SMG or Pistol, use those instead, and your level and bonuses will increase with those weapons as well.

I highly recommend playing this game with other people with a mic. Nothing quite like it, and it really brings the whole game to life.

Raide

Adam Prime said:

You will find out quickly that you stick to whatever gun you feel comfortable with. If you go sniper, its always good to have another secondary weapon like a shotgun/SMG etc, just in case things get too close. :lol

Roland = Soldier is the best class to start out with. Good with all guns, has a turret that you can deploy for extra firepower, has a Medic tree so you won't run out of HP or Ammo if you spec well. Great for playing online too, since the whole team gets HP and Ammo when you drop the turret.

All classes can use all weapons but each class tends to be better with a certain weapon. Have a good look at the talent trees and see what you want.

benjipwns

Banned
Adam Prime said:
You can use any gun with any class, but as noted classes upgrade different weapons, though you can still use them all. Also, as noted, for a while you may want to use a shotgun/SMG with the Sniper depending on which tree you're upgrading down first.

In my opinion, Siren's probably the easiest class altogether since your power lets you take a breather or can help you escape if need be. (And later lets you recharge health and such.) Her fire rate upgrades also make her a pretty viable sniper.

If there's a mission that's level ten and you're level five, you can do it, but prepare to die a lot. Usually there's side missions closer to your level that you can do to level up. (Or you can farm to level up.)

Red Chests are your friends, silver ones are pretty good too. They refill every-time you load the save.

Space-bar activates the lock-on in the vehicles.

When playing online, bringing up the inventory does not pause the game like it does in single player. (Which can be an issue if you use it to add health or swap weapons while under attack.)

Sometimes, you can get a weapon that's higher level, or higher color, or seems better, but doesn't work as well for you as what you have. That's fine, keeping a sniper rifle for example because of its scope over the extra 10 damage can often work better. Just sell the crap you don't want.

Speaking of that, you'll scrounge for cash and ammo early on, but very quickly funds and ammo will not be much of a problem.
Yep, I believe it is "t" that brings up the chatbox.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Played a little more tonight and got into an online game. Worked pretty well, although I noticed that I was gaining XP while I was sitting doing nothing and eating dinner. So when the other teammate makes kills I still get XP? That seems a bit... broken. Sounds like if I play online too much then I'll level up past anything to make the game a challenge in the offline mode, right?

Also can you partake in different quests, or are you pretty much doing everything/ the same thing that the host does in the game? The game is scaled to the hosts LV, correct? The game seems like it could kinda be ruined by having a high level player in your game , running around killing everything before you can and leveling you up for doing nothing.

I guess I just need to get it some more time. I was addicted to what I was playing, although I'm not totally sure I was enjoying it. I wanted a game like Phantasy Star Online, I think I may get it here...

benjipwns

Banned
Adam Prime said:
Played a little more tonight and got into an online game. Worked pretty well, although I noticed that I was gaining XP while I was sitting doing nothing and eating dinner. So when the other teammate makes kills I still get XP? That seems a bit... broken. Sounds like if I play online too much then I'll level up past anything to make the game a challenge in the offline mode, right?
Yeah, you share XP and cash. Since he's killing higher level stuff than you you're getting more than you would normally. The game also makes the enemies tougher in co-op (more HP by a multiplier of the number of players in the game) and they give more and drop more loot.
Also can you partake in different quests, or are you pretty much doing everything/ the same thing that the host does in the game?
You can, but it can be wonky when you go back to single player, quests disappear and stuff. I wound up just having a single player character and a co-op character because they kept screwing up.
The game is scaled to the hosts LV, correct?
I believe this is so, but enemies in some (most?) areas don't get any higher level than a certain level until the second playthrough.
The game seems like it could kinda be ruined by having a high level player in your game , running around killing everything before you can and leveling you up for doing nothing.
Yeah, you can do this, most people I've seen try to play through with friends or people they know so they aren't doing stupid crap. Although it does help if you've got a friend who played and you just picked up the game, he can level you up real quick to where he is if you don't care about playing through the earlier missions.

This site might come in handy: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_Wiki

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just had a huge play session last night and most of this morning. Great game, it's super addicting to be constantly upgrading guns all the time, and they all feel so different. Question though about quests: is there a list or something or how will I know that I've done everything in that particular area? And is it best to do that, or by grinding up in the same area you'll make yourself too powerful? Is it best just to stick to the main storyline missions and only deviate not so much, or do people normally just clear everything as they go?

Again, I'm glad that I stuck with this game. Although I really don't feel online too much. I actually like doing most of the missions by myself because it's more challenging and it just ends up too easy or the other online players just doing most of the work for you. This morning during the first boss of the game and I was lagging behind, and my teammates went ahead and killed the dude without me! :lol I was like, bummer I'm sad that I missed out on that. Is there a way to replay missions?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I also have a question for PS3 players, can you copy your save data with a USB stick and play your character just fine on another PS3?

benjipwns

Banned
Adam Prime said:
Question though about quests: is there a list or something or how will I know that I've done everything in that particular area?
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Missions

The Clap Trap will tell you when and where new missions are available a minute or so after you load a save or enter an area.
And is it best to do that, or by grinding up in the same area you'll make yourself too powerful?
You really have to grind an area to make yourself too powerful, i.e. reloading your save over and over to kill high enough level enemies that exist in an area.
Is it best just to stick to the main storyline missions and only deviate not so much, or do people normally just clear everything as they go?
I do all the missions, the order generally based on their ease and location. For example, you get a couple missions that send you back to Skag Gully so I do all of them at once. The game is pretty good at setting up a situation where you have to do a certain story mission, then gives you 10 side missions and doesn't give more until you move forward in the story.

Some of the side missions give you weapons and shields and so on. All of them give XP and cash obviously.
Is there a way to replay missions?
If you didn't turn it in, it might still be there for you to do single-player.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Just picked this up because Amazon has it for $27.99 new (PS3). Thought I'd let anyone who doesn't own it yet know. Couldn't pass it up since I've been wanting to own it for a while... looking forward to playing it Wednesday.

I've already got a couple people in the thread who've offered to help me out/kill with me a bit. :D

Raide

A little late to the DLC party, just picked up the Knoxx DLC and having fun playing 2 player co-op.

Is Borderlands the most successful loot collecting game released on consoles? It has been supported really well and I will continue to buy new DLC if they add new content etc but how long before they talk about Borderlands 2?

I would like them to expand the character classes (PSO MAG system, have you own Claptrap or Skagg) add armour and ammo mods and sort out the slowdown! Damn it sucks, especially when you have effects and explosions all over the place. :lol

4 players feels fine but it would be nice to have a PSO style hub system. Everyone walks around a major town, buying/trading/duelling etc and then group up for the missions. They need to add more character customisation, especially around looks and armour etc, since it would be a bit boring to have 100's of identical Bricks running around.

Come on E3 secrets! :lol :lol

VALIS

LTTP here, bought this yesterday and have probably already put in 10 hours, I'm enjoying it that much. Yeah, it seems kind of samey, I've already had to transverse the entirety of Skag Gully three times on various missions, but I love the cel-shaded look and the Mad Maxian designs. It's pretty much like a hack 'n slash but with guns instead of swords. Style and gameplay, hot shit man.

GBX_AdamF said:
I <3 you all.

Thanks for helping us keep our game in the top of the XBL Activity Charts since launch :D
Your game is awesome, but I've run out of things to do until the next DLC. There is a next DLC, right? Or is there just the sequel?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Quick Q, is the last DLC really hard or is it doable for two guy on their first play though in their 40s? What is recommended? Thanks.

Raide

DeadGzuz said:
Quick Q, is the last DLC really hard or is it doable for two guy on their first play though in their 40s? What is recommended? Thanks.

Yeah, doable with 2 people for play-through 1 (Maybe a little too easy since they are late 30's), don't even try it on play-through 2. :lol First quest suggests being level 51, so only hit it when you manage to get to 51, then it will still be a good challenge.

Maybe try the Zombie DLC on play-through 2.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Raide said:
Yeah, doable with 2 people for play-through 1 (Maybe a little too easy since they are late 30's), don't even try it on play-through 2. :lol First quest suggests being level 51, so only hit it when you manage to get to 51, then it will still be a good challenge.

Maybe try the Zombie DLC on play-through 2.

I just realized we might be on play though 2, but still not level 50. Doh. We did the Zombie DLC recently, it was hard until we leveled up into the 40s. So now we should level to 51 to try the latest one?

Raide

DeadGzuz said:
I just realized we might be on play though 2, but still not level 50. Doh. We did the Zombie DLC recently, it was hard until we leveled up into the 40s. So now we should level to 51 to try the latest one?

If you want to try Knoxx on play though 2, then you need to be 51 really. Zombies on play though 2 is pretty good for levelling and getting gear. Once you edge closer to 51, try out Knoxx 2 and see how you get on. :D

DeadGzuz said:
A lot of people like to do run throughs at the Eridian Promontory to get themselves to the cap.

Sciz

I wish I'd bought Knoxx back when it came out. So awesome.

GBX_AdamF said:
I <3 you all.

Thanks for helping us keep our game in the top of the XBL Activity Charts since launch :D
If you could pester the dev team until they implement a shared stash in DLC4, that'd be great. It gets old having to break out Willowtree every time I want to swap guns between characters without dragging someone else into it.

DeadGzuz said:
So now we should level to 51 to try the latest one?
Bah. Aside from one unusually high level badass chem trooper who takes a good pounding, there's nothing out of range by starting at 50.

Seventy5

Too funny, I just picked this game up again today at Gamestop. PS3 version. I have a new PS3 so I'm starting from level 1, but I'm down for co-op if anyone who wants to add me. Just got FF13 today too, but I played to the first savepoint and threw this in. LOVE it.

I'm fairly sure, coming from 6 months after the end of the year, that Borderlands is my Game of the Year 2009. I'm still playing it.

I bought the game on release day for the PS3. I loved it and got my buddies interested in the game, but they all wanted to play it on PC. So I bought them all the 4-pack a week later on the Steam release and sold my PS3 copy. We played the crap outta the game for months. I had petered off on the game for a while, but then when I visited my friend in California he had a copy of the game and so me and his brother just took turns playing whenever my friend was working (and we had no car). We got halfway through a Playthrough 2 just in our downtime. I bought the game again on XBox 360 last week and I've got another 40 hours in the game, about halfway through a Playthrough 2 with a Siren.

I lost my PC saves, though, because I forgot to back them up when I formatted my hard drive in February. Ack.

This is what I have for characters now:

Soldier lvl 25 (PS3)
Soldier lvl 50 (PC, gone forever)
Brick lvl 48 (PC, gone forever)
Siren lvl 42 (PS3 in California)
Brick lvl 33 (PC)
Siren lvl 50 (PC)
Siren lvl 46 (360)

I'm starting a Hunter once the Siren is maxed out.

I'd like to thank the developers of this game for a wonderful experience. This game came out of nowhere and has scratched an itch I need scratching very often. You guys put together a game that took me by surprise and I cannot wait for a sequel.

All of this said, I'm ready to finally get to the DLC on my 360 version. Does anyone know of any good deals on Live Points? I'll pay full price if I have to, but I know sometimes places like Target make that an unnecessary evil.

I finally bought this game last Friday off of Steam and I am loving it. So far I'm a level 15 Soldier and I've sunk about 8hrs into it, really impressed at how well it runs on my rig even though I just have a Radeon 4850.

Looking forward to playing as some of the other classes, and trying out co-op sometime. My Steam ID is RoryDropkick if anyone would like to play.

Zozobra

Just picked up the PS3 version this past weekend and have been playing online with a friend. Soooooooo fun! I don't know why it took me so long to try it out.

Is there any way to hotkey healing items, or do you always have to go in the menu to use?

Raide

Zozobra said:
Just picked up the PS3 version this past weekend and have been playing online with a friend. Soooooooo fun! I don't know why it took me so long to try it out.

Is there any way to hotkey healing items, or do you always have to go in the menu to use?

There are two types, instant ones that you pick up and it gives you health right away, or the ones you can store in your inventory. In solo games, the game does pause while you hunt around your inventory but in MP it does not pause. I never really find myself using the stored ones. If I am going to die, I tend to let myself die and get the Second Wind revive and get it all back.

Each class has a way to regen health, plus you can get shields and weapons that regen HP too. I tend to go for a little less shield and have HP regen as a personal preference.

When you start to play co-op, you also find health regen changes, especially if you have Soldiers around. :lol

Seventy5 said:
Too funny, I just picked this game up again today at Gamestop. PS3 version. I have a new PS3 so I'm starting from level 1, but I'm down for co-op if anyone who wants to add me. Just got FF13 today too, but I played to the first savepoint and threw this in. LOVE it.
Add me if you want. I keep telling the same to all PS3 players interested in co-op, but I rarely get to play with them. PSNid is the same as username.

Enjoy the game, it is really one of the best games this gen :)

Raide said:
In solo games, the game does pause while you hunt around your inventory but in MP it does not pause. I never really find myself using the stored ones.
Yeah, the health-pack implementation in the game is not really ideal. Maybe in the first 5 or so character levels some people may find the packs of some use, but after getting health/shield regen, I didn't even have the time to worry about healing myself before the regen kicked in.

Now, Gearbox, about that final piece of DLC...:D

benjipwns

Banned
As the Hunter I kept one or two in my backpack just in-case, but as Siren or Soldier you never need them since you can let your skill recharge your health.

Raide

benjipwns said:
As the Hunter I kept one or two in my backpack just in-case, but as Siren or Soldier you never need them since you can let your skill recharge your health.

They are handy early on but even the Hunter gets a self-healing ability if you spec into it.

As for the DLC...bring it on! While I would love the level cap to go up, just having some new stuff to do would be awesome. Adding the ability to dual spec would be awesome. It is a little annoying having to respec, since I have 1 for solo and 1 for co-op/arena.

Anyone else think they should add a Dr.Neds part to the Moxxi DLC? I would love to have some Zombie Waves in the arena. :lol

benjipwns said:
There are (survivor?) mods which will activate health regen not just for your hunter character but for all the players on the team. Highest I got was at +14, I think. Didn't even need to invest in health regen skills.
Raide said:
As for the DLC...bring it on! While I would love the level cap to go up, just having some new stuff to do would be awesome. Adding the ability to dual spec would be awesome. It is a little annoying having to respec, since I have 1 for solo and 1 for co-op/arena.
It would be cool if the new DLC not only raised the level cap (70?) but also added another skill tree level for each branch (or maybe a whole new branch?).

I think they've done a great job with both Dr Ned's and Knoxx's DLC (don't have the Moxxi DLC), I just hope the next DLC introduces new environments. Also: I loved Dr. Ned's zombie/halloween/horror theme, it would be cool if the next DLC is also themed (robotic theme? pirate theme?).

Finally, I think I've said this before, but I love the humor in this game. Seriously. The clap-trap unit in Knoxx's DLC (Shank's prison) made me literally laugh out loud. Great job Gearbox.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Zozobra said:

<3 Thanks for trying it out :D

Glad you are enjoying it.

<3 you all :D

desertdroog

Just dl'ed Knoxx and bought the Moxie and Zombie disc this passed weekend. Got sucked back into it and forgot how much fun coop is on this.

GBX_AdamF said:
<3 Thanks for trying it out :D

Glad you are enjoying it.

<3 you all :D

this was my game of the year 2009... so thank you.... i have full achievements and trophies!!!

LOVED IT.

Give us MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.

Circle T

GAF, I have a question about the Knoxx DLC. I've been playing the hell out of this DLC, and I've yet to find a single "Pearlescent" item of any kind. I've completed every mission, farmed high level areas quite heavily, and using the corner glitch, have beaten Crawmerax about 35 times now. But after all that, and even when using a "+2 Rare Item" class mod, I can't find anything.

I know these things are supposed to be rare, but are they THIS rare? Does anyone have any tips on where or how one should go about finding some of these items? As my main character is Mordecai, I would really like to find a "Bessie", but at this point anything pearlescent would make my day.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Circle T said:
GAF, I have a question about the Knoxx DLC. I've been playing the hell out of this DLC, and I've yet to find a single "Pearlescent" item of any kind. I've completed every mission, farmed high level areas quite heavily, and using the corner glitch, have beaten Crawmerax about 35 times now. But after all that, and even when using a "+2 Rare Item" class mod, I can't find anything.

I know these things are supposed to be rare, but are they THIS rare? Does anyone have any tips on where or how one should go about finding some of these items? As my main character is Mordecai, I would really like to find a "Bessie", but at this point anything pearlescent would make my day.
They are very rare. But not impossible to find of course!

Just keep at it. I've heard stories of hundreds of runs w/ some people not finding one. Kinda like back in those old Diablo 2 days and never getting a Shako to drop :p

You will get one eventually. Crawermax/Armory are the best places to grab them for sure, so you are on the right track!

Circle T

GBX_AdamF said:
They are very rare. But not impossible to find of course!

Just keep at it. I've heard stories of hundreds of runs w/ some people not finding one. Kinda like back in those old Diablo 2 days and never getting a Shako to drop :p

You will get one eventually. Crawermax/Armory are the best places to grab them for sure, so you are on the right track!
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll keep at it. I'm currently working through Moxxi right now, but after that I'll get back to Knoxx a bit more and see if we can get anything. Hopefully there will be a 4th DLC coming soon where I can actually put all my sweet new gear to use... Right? :D

I do have one other question. Is the respawn cost exactly 10% of your current money, or is it some other amount? As I currently have well over the $9,999,999 menu limit, I can only speculate as to what my total bank is by the respawn cost. But when playing earlier in the game it seemed like the value would fluctuate, though I might have just not been paying that close of attention. Any insight as to what it is officially?

Thanks for the help, and quick reply. I think you guys did an awesome job with this game, as I'm having an excellent time with it. Keep it up!

Sciz

Circle T said:

I've gotten one out of what is at least a couple dozen Craw kills and a few armory runs. They really are just that rare.

Which is fine by me, I'd rather have some insanely rare loot to look forward to rather than simply drowning in Defilers as the top end of gear.

Circle T said:
I do have one other question. Is the respawn cost exactly 10% of your current money, or is it some other amount? As I currently have well over the $9,999,999 menu limit, I can only speculate as to what my total bank is by the respawn cost. But when playing earlier in the game it seemed like the value would fluctuate, though I might have just not been paying that close of attention. Any insight as to what it is officially?
It's somewhere around 7% of your total. Money is stored as a signed integer, so it caps out at 2,147,483,647. My siren is currently at something like $1.5B, and last time I died cost me over $100M.

Adam, are we ever going to see the rest of the world scale to 61? D:

Circle T

Sciz said:
I've gotten one out of what is at least a couple dozen Craw kills and a few armory runs. They really are just that rare.

Which is fine by me, I'd rather have some insanely rare loot to look forward to rather than simply drowning in Defilers as the top end of gear.
Yea, that is fine by me as well. I can respect the need for ultra rarity. I just didn't know how extreme the rarity was, but judging by you and Adam's response, I'm not doing anything wrong, just need more time/luck. I'll keep at it.
Sciz said:
It's somewhere around 7% of your total. Money is stored as a signed integer, so it caps out at 2,147,483,647. My siren is currently at something like $1.5B, and last time I died cost me over $100M.
Yea, that makes sense. I thought I remembered it being a little less than 10% from earlier in the game. If that is correct, then judging by my last death costing me just under $90M, I'm over $1B. If only there was something to buy at this point :lol

Thanks for the input everyone.

Wallach

Borderlands and all DLC packs are 66% off today on Steam!

For those of us that are just getting into Borderlands (PC) today because of the sale, drop your names here! I will definitely be up for some online stuff, especially later in the evening times. Steam ID is Wallach.

Sciz

Not that I don't want to play with you guys who're just getting into it, but I already have all four characters at either 50 or 61. :lol

Top Bottom