• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Chris R

For people playing through the very first time on PC who have the General DLC here is a neat little trick I found.

I was in an area much too tough for my current level so I found a teleport thingy and was like, ok lets GTFO of here. Teleported to I guess the DLC area, got a super duper "hard" quest that involved running to talk to a NPC. After I did that I was like, ok this area isn't where I need to be, so I teleported back to the starting zone.

Something must have happened though, because now I'm getting drops that require level 25+ even though I'm only level 13. These sell for quite a bit of cash, so I'm basically able to buy anything I want right away :lol

taku

This game is really fun. I just started playing (co-op with my brother from the get go) and I'm already level 18. Very diablo-esque.. All I can think of when playing is loot loot loot!

Playing a Mordercai and I think I'm going to try shooting for this build (and add Lethal Strike after that when I play the DLC, I guess).

Edit: BUMPS

benjipwns

Banned
I actually sorta hate Mordercai even though I love sniper classes. You don't really get penalized for sniping with the other classes and their special abilities are better. The other classes all use closer-range weapons better too. And he's the only one with no real "bailout" move since Bloodwing sucks.

Discloser: I played through the first time as him, and still loved the game.

taku

benjipwns said:
I actually sorta hate Mordercai even though I love sniper classes. You don't really get penalized for sniping with the other classes and their special abilities are better. The other classes all use closer-range weapons better too. And he's the only one with no real "bailout" move since Bloodwing sucks.

Discloser: I played through the first time as him, and still loved the game.
Good to know. I don't know, man. I'm getting mad critical hit, one shot kills all the time. I think it's totally fun playing as him, just going balls out with guns and shit!

benjipwns

Banned
Wasn't saying he's not fun or good, and yeah his shot beefs do let you clear out from a distance, I did beat the game with him, it's just if you go back after playing with him and use say, Lilith, you'll understand.

purplesaurus

Neo Member
@GeneralKnoXX is tweeting again. Also some something hinting at DLC from @Mikeyface

GeneralKnoXX - tap. tap. is this on? had to turn my tweetergramming machine back on. just got some new orders. (sent from the future.)

So intense. What does it mean?

Hugbot

Sciz said:
Huh. Interesting, seeing as how
Knoxx blew up

Tell me more, Gearbox.
When I saw it this morning I immediately assumed it was just teasing the confirmation of the GOTY edition. I'm hoping a fourth DLC comes with/before it, though.

Edit: I hadn't seen Mikeyface's twitter: "Finally got some news cooking, both of the big and small kind. Started on something something we might call Episode 4; that's the small news "

SO THE PLOT THICKENS

MoxManiac

Can't decide whether to wait until I have a PC that can run this or to get one of the console versions.

How are the console versions? Any big difference between PS3 and 360?

Sciz

Hugbot said:
When I saw it this morning I immediately assumed it was just teasing the confirmation of the GOTY edition. I'm hoping a fourth DLC comes with/before it, though.

Edit: I hadn't seen Mikeyface's twitter: "Finally got some news cooking, both of the big and small kind. Started on something something we might call Episode 4; that's the small news "

SO THE PLOT THICKENS
Well, he does go on to mention the Claptrap web series, which would be at #4 with another one. Could just be misdirection or a half-truth though.

PatzCU

Myself and 3 friends just bought Borderlands this week on 360. Quick question, we are going to be playing 4player co-op all the way through. I picked Solider as my class and was wondering what would be more useful to spec. Combat/Support or Combat/Medic? It looks like Support is all about ammo regen and Medic is all about health regen.

For those of you with a lot of experience with this game, which do you find your team running into trouble with more, health or ammo? I'd like to just choose one or the other so I can still get some fun pew pew out of the combat oriented talent tree.

Thanks!

EDIT: We are playing a setup so we have the 4 different classes.

Rorschach

PatzCU said:
Myself and 3 friends just bought Borderlands this week on 360. Quick question, we are going to be playing 4player co-op all the way through. I picked Solider as my class and was wondering what would be more useful to spec. Combat/Support or Combat/Medic? It looks like Support is all about ammo regen and Medic is all about health regen.

For those of you with a lot of experience with this game, which do you find your team running into trouble with more, health or ammo? I'd like to just choose one or the other so I can still get some fun pew pew out of the combat oriented talent tree.

Thanks!

IMO it doesn't really matter. The game is quite easy and you'll never find yourself in a situation where you might die. I think the only time I died was at the final boss and a couple times jumping off a cliff. :lol Not to mention your guys can revive you if you somehow get your ass kicked. And even if you don't get revived, all you do is warp back to a check point. The only penalty is like 10% money loss and money is easy to come by.

Just go with whatever makes the game less tedious for you. Ammo is plentiful, but the game sometimes does deprive you of the only ammo you're using if you're a sniper. -_- You can experiment with both and then respec your character at any point when you get to one of those profile posts. It's rather cheap to respec.

PatzCU

Rorschach said:
IMO it doesn't really matter. The game is quite easy and you'll never find yourself in a situation where you might die. I think the only time I died was at the final boss and a couple times jumping off a cliff. :lol Not to mention your guys can revive you if you somehow get your ass kicked. And even if you don't get revived, all you do is warp back to a check point. The only penalty is like 10% money loss and money is easy to come by.

Just go with whatever makes the game less tedious for you. Ammo is plentiful, but the game sometimes does deprive you of the only ammo you're using if you're a sniper. -_- You can experiment with both and then respec your character at any point when you get to one of those profile posts. It's rather cheap to respec.

Cool. Didn't see that I could respec. I'll start out Combat/Medic and see where that leads. Thanks!

Hugbot

PatzCU said:
Cool. Didn't see that I could respec. I'll start out Combat/Medic and see where that leads. Thanks!
Just don't get the talent that lets your turret "sometimes" resurrect people it's the worst

Circle T

PatzCU said:
I played through the entire game with a friend. He was a Soldier and I was a Hunter. This worked well for us because of the class mods. We found a Soldier class mod with ammo regen, and a Hunter class mod with health regen. By the end of the game, with the higher level class mods, we had +24 ammo regen and +18 health regen. Using those, and a good shield, death was basically a very rare thing. Not having to worry about med kits and ammo is a great thing, imo.

Pretty sweet about the steam update. Maybe I'll get around to playing the PC version, that I bought at launch, at some point.

On a side-note I got my first pearlescent weapon today; over 7 days worth or playtime into the 360 game. It's a Torque Undertaker that dropped from a Badass Rocketeer. Wish it was a sniper or shield, but at least I finally got one. :D

edit: keyboard update as well (g15). Nice!

Ricker

ToyMachine228 said:
All three Borderlands DLC packages were only 400 points earlier in the week. Nabbed all three.

The Island of Dr.Ned is one of the best DLC for any game ever and a real steal at 400.

Vomiting quest rewards FTW
:lol

Hugbot

Possible DLC4 Details? via Kotaku

Gearbox Software's loot-centric first-person shooter Borderlands recently got an update, one that added Steam achievements and new hardware support. That update also may have laid out, in extreme, spoiler-filled detail, the next downloadable expansion for Borderlands.

According to contributors to Gearbox's online forums, that new Borderlands patch featured a folder chock full of potential details about the future of the game. The next expansion—the follow-up to The Secret Armory of General Knoxx—appears to be heavy on Claptraps. You know, those unicycling robotic helpers with the funny voices? Well, you may be fighting them and cybernetic zombies in the game's next add-on.
(More at link)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just saw the news. Hopefully there's something epic like Crawmerax at the end... although at this point, I'm not sure if I have gun lust anymore. :lol

I'm getting back into Borderlands after not touching it for many months, and I don't remember how some of these systems work.

Say I have a Mod that gives me +2 to my Defense skill. With my skill points I already have a 5/5 in Defense. Will equipping the Mod give me the equivalent of a 7/5 in Defense, giving me a faster shield recharge than is possible with skill points alone, or would it be a complete waste?

Raide

Being able to have 2 specs would be nice too. Annoying having to put all the points back in to the tree when you swap between PvE and PvP.

Hela said:
The 4 main characters?
Hela, I hope you don't mind, I quoted you into the other 4th DLC thread.

And yeah, hopefully they'll add another skill branch or a whole new skill level or something. Also, I want to be able to pilot a Knoxx-like mecha.

Top Bottom