• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

sol_bad

fresquito said:
That's something I've realised. However, the difference is just too big. I mean, I've seen green weapons that do 16 damage and white that do 21. But the clip capacity is much better on the green one, and the accuracy, and what not. However, I have an assault rifle that does 40 damage and the nearest one I've found would be 25 or so. It's just a bit odd.

Edit: Oh. My. God.

My honeymoon in Pandora is over. I'm really angry at this game. I entered the Dark Cave (I don't know if that's the name, it's the one with a mission where you have to collect 50 crystals) and basically I hated every bit of it. First, my friend and I were quite underpowered, that was our fault. But little by little, we managed to advance. Until respawn fucked everything. Not only we were getting out of ammo all the time, but we would beat a bunch of enemies, just to discover the ones behind were respawning. Then after much struggle, we reach a point where we die and die and die, but we're halfway through and have reached a level that should be enough. But enemies never stop respawning, and they respawn just before our eyes and we die and die.

At one moment I was examining the dozens of green and blue dropped weapons, comparing them to mine, checking out their value, etc, and enemies would respawn just there and kill us once and again. So we forgot about new weapons, we ran, we shot and we died. Eventually we made the mission and the Claptrap mission too, but we really hated it. And it got nothing to do with dificulty, but with retarded respawn. I loathe respawn, but when it's done this way, I feel like killing. Seriously, I don't want to touch this game for some days. And if not because I enjoy playing with friends, I'd uninstall and never'd look back.

What the fuck where Gearbox thinking?

It's nothing to do with difficulty but you outlined what the problem was. You went into the cave underpowered, doing that will make you take ages to kill any enemy so of course enemies will eventually respawn. It takes an extremely long time for enemies to start respawning, enough time for you to not have to deal with respawns if your at the right level. You should have left and came back when you leveled up a bit.
Don't blame the developers for this.

fresquito

sol_bad said:
It's nothing to do with difficulty but you outlined what the problem was. You went into the cave underpowered, doing that will make you take ages to kill any enemy so of course enemies will eventually respawn. It takes an extremely long time for enemies to start respawning, enough time for you to not have to deal with respawns if your at the right level. You should have left and came back when you leveled up a bit.
Don't blame the developers for this.
Respawn is a retarded tool that makes no sense at all in almost no case, in almost no game. So yeah, I feel free to blame devs, specially when spawn doesn't have a safe zone and they spawn just before your eyes and, on top of that, they can reach your respawn area and do some nasty respawning on you.

fresquito said:
Respawn is a retarded tool that makes no sense at all in almost no case, in almost no game. So yeah, I feel free to blame devs, specially when spawn doesn't have a safe zone and they spawn just before your eyes and, on top of that, they can reach your respawn area and do some nasty respawning on you.

Dude. Go level up once or twice, come back there and the challenge will be just right.

Going underpowered into areas is no good in this game. Make sure that the quest difficulty is Normal before you start it. Normal seems to be just right for most quests.

fresquito

ALaz502 said:
Dude. Go level up once or twice, come back there and the challenge will be just right.

Going underpowered into areas is no good in this game. Make sure that the quest difficulty is Normal before you start it. Normal seems to be just right for most quests.
I understand it was my fault to be underpowered. That noted, I hate respawn, no matter waht. Even if I'm overpowered, I don't like being bothered by enemies that I've already killed. I like having my time to check out weapons, see what gear should I pick up and what should I leave behind. I don't ever want to see enemies respawn in front of me when I'm picking up my well deserved loot. I don't care if they're stronger or weaker than me, I just hate respawn on principle alone. Much more when it's so badly done as it's in this game (no safe zone for your own respawn and for their respawn).

iratA

The Take Out Bandit said:
If there's one thing I'd change, it's the absolute butt vehicle controls.

I'm holding out hope for the GoTY edition. Game was crack. D:

This! Will rebuy just to have all of the DLC packed in.

Gonna check the price on this one at work tomorrow. I've waited too long and I'm really in the mood for some RPG/FPS action. Fallout 3 (lol) scratched that itch a little, but I think Borderlands is going to simply be more fun.

disappeared said:
Gonna check the price on this one at work tomorrow. I've waited too long and I'm really in the mood for some RPG/FPS action. Fallout 3 (lol) scratched that itch a little, but I think Borderlands is going to simply be more fun.
Those two games couldn't be more different from each other. One s Diablo with guns, and the other is Oblivion with guns.

Just want to calibrate your expectations - if you expect even the slightest semblance of story or any decent NPC interactions, Borderlands isn't going to satisfy. But for pure gung ho co-op and singleplayer shootiness with tons of weapon loots, you can't go wrong with Borderlands.

Sciz

fresquito said:
I understand it was my fault to be underpowered. That noted, I hate respawn, no matter waht. Even if I'm overpowered, I don't like being bothered by enemies that I've already killed. I like having my time to check out weapons, see what gear should I pick up and what should I leave behind. I don't ever want to see enemies respawn in front of me when I'm picking up my well deserved loot. I don't care if they're stronger or weaker than me, I just hate respawn on principle alone. Much more when it's so badly done as it's in this game (no safe zone for your own respawn and for their respawn).
The only time you should seriously be encountering respawns is the first few packs of enemies in a dungeon, and only then when you're leaving after a full clear. At an appropriate level, you'll tear through mobs fast enough that they don't just come back up right on your heels.

If you're honestly seeing more enemies appear right in your area, you either take a ridiculous amount of time to compare weapons (like 10-15 minutes) or you just didn't finish clearing the wave in the first place. As a general rule, the mobs you see wandering around are never the entirety of what will appear once you engage.

Instro

I actually started playing this recently myself, been meaning to since I snagged it during the Summer sale. I'm really digging it so far playing as a soldier, up to level 25. The online system is a bit weird though, it doesnt seem to really tell you what plot mission the host is actually on, but rather what they were on when they created the game or something. I find myself joining games only to learn that they are on a completley different mission, they should really include something that shows how much time a game has been active. Kind of funny that someone is complaining about the respawn in Dark Cave though, that area was a pretty big stopping wall for me as well, I was around the right level but the amount of badass elemental skags and alphas really kicked my ass. It was good for items and xp though.

Btw what do the little character icons on the online lobby list mean?

God damn memory leak is making me not want to play this game. I've killed Sledge 3 times now. It's always as I'm making my way back to Arid Badlands that the memory usage swells up to about 3GB and locks my computer.

The strange thing is that all my level and item data is saved but not my mission progress, I'm not sure if I should be taking relief from that.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
toasty_T said:
God damn memory leak is making me not want to play this game. I've killed Sledge 3 times now. It's always as I'm making my way back to Arid Badlands that the memory usage swells up to about 3GB and locks my computer.

The strange thing is that all my level and item data is saved but not my mission progress, I'm not sure if I should be taking relief from that.
Unfortunately ATI's 10.7 Catalyst drivers is creating a memory leak within Borderlands. Hopefully they will have a fix out soon.

I have a work around that requires editing in the WillowEngine.ini file. I don't have the info on me but I will post it tomorrow when I get in the office if I remember. I believe it does remove some graphical elements from the game unfortunately as you have to set foliage line to a null value.

The other way to solve it is to revert back to 10.6 drivers to play.

I played soldier for a while but it didn't get to well tbh. Most likely because of bad weapons/talents.

Does it get better or should I restart with another character? (I play 99% solo)

Coalition-PezRadar

For 10.7 This is a temporary fix until ATI updates again.

Open your WillowEngine.ini

Find the line FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier

Set it to this below

FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=0.000000

That should fix the memory leak.

glaurung

With the new DLC package creeping up, I'd like to fill in some missing trophies and get ready for the onslaught of Claptraps by maxing out my character.

To do that, I'd like to arrange a PS3 party of excellent GAF people, during this weekend and preferably in the EU time zone. It would be awesome if we could take down Crawmerax as well.

If anyone is interested, please let me know. I run as a soldier who is under 60 if I remember correctly.

I'd like to get together with people to play some co-op on Steam.. my name is RoryDropkick/HayakawaKen on there. I just finished getting the key, but I know there's a ton more things to do in this game, and I do have all 3 DLC.. I'm generally on weekday nights.

Firehead

jaundicejuice said:
I haven't tried online coop, mainly because it uses Gamespy. I've played nearly 20 hours of Borderlands, all of it solo, as a sniper.
Wow. You're missing out the best part of the game. You really should try it! And yeah, they need to drop the gamespy stuff and have Steam set up for joining people and such. Kinda like what they did with Unreal Tournament 3.

GBX_AdamF said:
For 10.7 This is a temporary fix until ATI updates again.
Open your WillowEngine.ini
Find the line FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier
Set it to this below
FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=0.000000
That should fix the memory leak.
10.8's released; release notes state they fixed the Borderlands issue.

Firehead said:
Wow. You're missing out the best part of the game. You really should try it! And yeah, they need to drop the gamespy stuff and have Steam set up for joining people and such. Kinda like what they did with Unreal Tournament 3.

10.8's released; release notes state they fixed the Borderlands issue.
Yes.

It wasnt when he posted though.

Firehead said:

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 have instilled a deep, powerful dislike of playing with randoms. More often than not they're fucking douchebags. I do have a number of people on my Steam Friends List who own an have played the game, but none are ever playing borderlands when I am. I haven't bothered to figure out how this Gamespy shit works, I've never been online in Borderlands.

I like loot games though, and have had a lot of fun playing the game on my own. I don't doubt that it would be fun in co-op, but it has to be with the right people.

Firehead

Anyone else having trouble getting the online portion to work properly now? Ever since GameSpy went down on Wednesday, I haven't been able to get anyone to join/join any game. It was working great before it went down.... :/

Well, Borderlands has unexpectedly won me over. I really didn't expect the game to be this good, even with the crappy gamespy multiplayer system.

Gearbox wasn't kidding when they described this game as a Diablo FPS. Everything is here: loot, leveling up, dungeons, overworld. Sometimes I'm almost expecting Deckard Cain to appear and utter his famous "Stay a while and listen." I keep asking my friend who has played the game before on 360 if there is a really tough boss ala Duriel. :D

Zertez

Lasthope106 said:
Well, Borderlands has unexpectedly won me over. I really didn't expect the game to be this good, even with the crappy gamespy multiplayer system.

Gearbox wasn't kidding when they described this game as a Diablo FPS. Everything is here: loot, leveling up, dungeons, overworld. Sometimes I'm almost expecting Deckard Cain to appear and utter his famous "Stay a while and listen." I keep asking my friend who has played the game before on 360 if there is a really tough boss ala Duriel. :D
Crawmerax solo can be very challenging. He is the toughest boss from the General Knoxx DLC. The two biggest problems I have with BL, is not enough boss mobs respawn and I wish there was more specialized loot rather than rng gun 1000.

I know they added pearls, but most are nothing special and they are far too rare for the small increase in power. Whatever team or person who come up with the stats on pearls, should be forced to play the game past the first 10 levels. Hopefully with the next DLC, they are adding a dungeon with tons of boss mobs who respawn and drop loot that keeps you playing. The gun creator is ok when leveling up, but they should spend a little more time with gun design and stats at the higher/max level.

Teknoman

jaundicejuice said:
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 have instilled a deep, powerful dislike of playing with randoms. More often than not they're fucking douchebags. I do have a number of people on my Steam Friends List who own an have played the game, but none are ever playing borderlands when I am. I haven't bothered to figure out how this Gamespy shit works, I've never been online in Borderlands.

I like loot games though, and have had a lot of fun playing the game on my own. I don't doubt that it would be fun in co-op, but it has to be with the right people.

Would there be any way for Gearbox to add steam matchmaking support? I stopped playing MP early on just because of all the gamespy stuff you have to go through.

Firehead

Teknoman said:
Would there be any way for Gearbox to add steam matchmaking support? I stopped playing MP early on just because of all the gamespy stuff you have to go through.
Didn't Unreal Tournament 3 get a patch for Steam matchmaking and such? I'd imagine it possible to do so, since Borderlands is using the same engine.

Edit: Your avatar's perspective disturbs me.

Teknoman

Firehead said:
Didn't Unreal Tournament 3 get a patch for Steam matchmaking and such? I'd imagine it possible to do so, since Borderlands is using the same engine.

Edit: Your avatar's perspective disturbs me.

Yeah the helmet is a little off...thinking of asking for a another style of metroid repping for it.

Thanks for your reply GBX_AdamF.

It seems the memory leak issue was completely resolved with the newest driver release. The RAM usage is surprisingly small now.

With regards to the storage box from the Mad Moxxi DLC, how do I access it? I'm still fairly early in the game and I haven't gotten to playing any of the DLC yet. Do they have level scaling or should I play them at specific levels as not to ruin the fun?

Sciz

toasty_T said:
With regards to the storage box from the Mad Moxxi DLC, how do I access it? I'm still fairly early in the game and I haven't gotten to playing any of the DLC yet. Do they have level scaling or should I play them at specific levels as not to ruin the fun?
When you install Moxxi, the Underdome shows up in your fast travel list. There's a Claptrap standing around the lobby there that serves as the bank.

Zombie Island scales to your level within a certain range depending on which playthrough you're on, Moxxi always scales, and I believe Knoxx doesn't scale at all.

The problem is that Knoxx raised the level cap to 61, but the base game and ZI only scale to 50, so it's hard to go through everything without getting overleveled. The DLC4 patch should address the scaling problem though, as I don't expect that Gearbox would come back to the game after all this time and not fix what is by far the most frequently complained about issue.

Coalition-PezRadar

Sciz said:
When you install Moxxi, the Underdome shows up in your fast travel list. There's a Claptrap standing around the lobby there that serves as the bank.

Zombie Island scales to your level within a certain range depending on which playthrough you're on, Moxxi always scales, and I believe Knoxx doesn't scale at all.

The problem is that Knoxx raised the level cap to 61, but the base game and ZI only scale to 50, so it's hard to go through everything without getting overleveled. The DLC4 patch should address the scaling problem though, as I don't expect that Gearbox would come back to the game after all this time and not fix what is by far the most frequently complained about issue.
We haven't given any word yet on the scaling stuff...

yet.

Sciz

GBX_AdamF said:
We haven't given any word yet on the scaling stuff...

yet.
Honestly, I expect that you poor fellows tasked with monitoring the GBX forums were after the devteam about it yourselves just so you didn't have to keep seeing the issue come up in every single thread. :lol

while you're busy not announcing things, feel free to deny the nonexistence of a shared stash.

kuYuri

Even after 10.8, my Borderlands was still crashing left and right. As if the memory leak was being caused by a combination of things. I did all the fixes, such as the foliage stuff, turning off Catalyst AI, and downgrading to 10.5/upgrading to 10.8. I even went as far as uninstalling/resintalling Steam.

Finally, the only solution was installing the game under Vista (I have two HDDs, one with XP and other with Vista) and updating the Vista one to 10.8.

I picked up the Steam version and all the DLC during the recent sale I've been addicted over the last week. It's so much more fun than i expected, even though i've mostly been playing single player.

The UI is really clumsy, though, and the online matchmaking DESPERATELY needs an overhaul. There needs to be some way to filter regions or something. I've pretty much stopped trying to play it multi because every single game i join is a total lagfest. I mean serious lag. Like 5 seconds to register a jump kind of lag. :lol Hosting games isn't really a good option because people rarely join. I guess i should hit up Ausgaf to see if anyone is still playing....

Sciz

I think I've just won Borderlands:

fwo9dz.png

Regular hits do fairly ridiculous amounts of damage to begin with, and well-aimed crits one-shot Craw's weak points and rip through badasses like common goons. I'm just left wondering if I should give it to Roland for his magazine and rate of fire bonuses or Mordecai for his procs.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
What utility that is recently up to date does everyone use for the PC version for tweaks to the gfx/shaders etc settings? (FOV too)

Ok, so I just got the General Knoxx expansion after reaching level 50 on my second play through. I'm getting my arse kicked after several missions (I've just visited Moxxi and now the enemies are lv53/54 and kill me in about 4/5 shots) - any words of advice? Anywhere I can grind to level up a bit and get some better loot?

Also would love some people to play with - I have the 360 version of the game, I'm a level 50 soldier. My GT is atomsmasher13 so send me a FR - it would be great to play with some gaffers.

Insaniac

tea_and_crumpets said:
Ok, so I just got the General Knoxx expansion after reaching level 50 on my second play through. I'm getting my arse kicked after several missions (I've just visited Moxxi and now the enemies are lv53/54 and kill me in about 4/5 shots) - any words of advice? Anywhere I can grind to level up a bit and get some better loot?

Also would love some people to play with - I have the 360 version of the game, I'm a level 50 soldier. My GT is atomsmasher13 so send me a FR - it would be great to play with some gaffers.

GT TheLintendo, i'd love to play, and playing SP is boring.

I've got some loot i can share if you don't mind twinking, but if not, I can just help you grind a bit. Eridian promentary is the only place worth grinding while at 50 if you can't handle knoxx yet

Chris R

Another quick question since I kinda started to play this again between SCII. Any way I can bump up the loot quality in single player offline? I guess that 4 player online loot is better level for level than the single player stuff (harder difficulty or something).

Aaron

rhfb said:
Another quick question since I kinda started to play this again between SCII. Any way I can bump up the loot quality in single player offline? I guess that 4 player online loot is better level for level than the single player stuff (harder difficulty or something).
Once you beat the game, you can do a second loop that has much better gear.

mandiller

Sciz said:
I think I've just won Borderlands:

fwo9dz.png

Regular hits do fairly ridiculous amounts of damage to begin with, and well-aimed crits one-shot Craw's weak points and rip through badasses like common goons. I'm just left wondering if I should give it to Roland for his magazine and rate of fire bonuses or Mordecai for his procs.

Holy crap. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

Ashour

Hey guys I need some help. So I convinced 3 of my friends to buy the game on PS3 and we spent 2 hours yesterday just trying to connect to each others. There's one of my friends that can't connect to me. So only 3 of us could get in a game together.

We tried public and private games. He opened all the ports I could find on the internet but still no luck.

BTW, I can play with the same exact friends on Uncharted 2 and Lost Planet 2.

Please help :(

Autofokus

Ashour said:
Hey guys I need some help. So I convinced 3 of my friends to buy the game on PS3 and we spent 2 hours yesterday just trying to connect to each others. There's one of my friends that can't connect to me. So only 3 of us could get in a game together.

We tried public and private games. He opened all the ports I could find on the internet but still no luck.

BTW, I can play with the same exact friends on Uncharted 2 and Lost Planet 2.

Please help :(
PS3 IP -> Router -> DMZ -> ??? -> Fun!

LM4sure

Banned
Spotless Mind said:
I picked up the Steam version and all the DLC during the recent sale I've been addicted over the last week. It's so much more fun than i expected, even though i've mostly been playing single player.

The UI is really clumsy, though, and the online matchmaking DESPERATELY needs an overhaul. There needs to be some way to filter regions or something. I've pretty much stopped trying to play it multi because every single game i join is a total lagfest. I mean serious lag. Like 5 seconds to register a jump kind of lag. :lol Hosting games isn't really a good option because people rarely join. I guess i should hit up Ausgaf to see if anyone is still playing....

I agree completely. I think the game could have really benefited from a walkthrough of some type because it took me much too long to figure some things out. For example, I didn't even know you could sell your shit at the shops until I was well into the game. And then one day I just saw the sell tab at the top of the screen, and I was like wtf?!

And why the hell did they go with Gamespy for online hosting? It sucks. Should have done it through Steam.

Top Bottom