• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Javaman

I just started the game and am using the soldier. When you increase the shield recharge speed through your skill blocks, does that cut down the time before the shield starts recharging (after your last damage) or increase the rate once it's actually recharging?

Sciz

Javaman said:
I just started the game and am using the soldier. When you increase the shield recharge speed through your skill blocks, does that cut down the time before the shield starts recharging (after your last damage) or increase the rate once it's actually recharging?
Shield recharge rate bonuses improve how fast a shield replenishes itself. Shield recharge delay bonuses reduce the time it takes for the recharge to begin. Roland's skill is the former.

You would pick the sentry class. ;p

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Posted this in the DLC4 thread - But wanted to echo it over here.

Just so everyone is aware...

There isn't 10 additional skill points available in the new DLC. It is actually 2 additional skill points.

We had a slight error in this mornings press release.

Hugbot

GBX_AdamF said:

There isn't 10 additional skill points available in the new DLC. It is actually 2 additional skill points.

Ten definitely seemed excessive without adding new skills.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GBX_AdamF said:

Aww man. Is that going to be like Moxxi where you have to go through the same content twice on the two difficulties to get the points?

I'm still waiting for the final DLC where you just get to make your own guns and fill out your skill tree. :lol

Hugbot said:
Ten definitely seemed excessive without adding new skills.

Yeah, but at this point I figure most people are just playing the game now to mess around and mindlessly kill things. I'm not sure if balance matters much especially considering all the different and crazy guns that are out there either.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Me and my 3 friends finally packed it in and sold the game recently. It served us well as we beat the entirety of the game and almost all the DLC together. It was a good time. We will likely be on board day 1 for the sequel (if it happens).

Hugbot

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, but at this point I figure most people are just playing the game now to mess around and mindlessly kill things. I'm not sure if balance matters much especially considering all the different and crazy guns that are out there either.
Oh I agree, balance went out the window a long time ago. I still enjoy messing around with different builds though, and ten points on top of what is already there really cuts the differences between them down to nothing. It would be possible to have 3/5 for every skill for your character and still have 5 leftovers, which is just too much for the tree to support and have meaningfully different builds, imo. I'd definitely be excited to boost up my character to those ridiculous levels, but I can understand the decision not to.

Ideally I'd like to see more skills, but that's outside of the scope of the DLCs I guess and will have to wait for BL2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah yeah, I can see why there'd be fun to be had with that. I've only played with the Siren class for any amount of time so I'd just think it'd be awesome to be able to fill out her entire skill tree.

fresquito

How good is the Borderlands DLC? I just started playing the game and I don't think I'll need any DLC in a good while, but it may be worth it at that price.

mandiller

fresquito said:
How good is the Borderlands DLC? I just started playing the game and I don't think I'll need any DLC in a good while, but it may be worth it at that price.

The armory of general knoxx is the only really 'needed' DLC, as it raises the level cap from 50 to 61 and is quite entertaining.

Blablurn

Code:
Pentium Dual Core T4400 @ 2.2Ghz
4GB Ram (Windows 7 64 BIT)
1 GB Graphics Card from ATI

Enough to play the game? according to steam yes but i'm always a little sceptical about these numbers.

mandiller said:
The armory of general knoxx is the only really 'needed' DLC, as it raises the level cap from 50 to 61 and is quite entertaining.
I can easily recommend the first DLC as well, Zombie Island of Dr Ned. Lengthy campaign, fun enemies, funny writing.

Has anyone had any issues playing Borderlands on Steam?

It froze on me a couple of times the first time I played it, then attempting to launch it a third time caused a BSOD. I've noticed after about 15-20 mins of play it starts using up to 3GB of memory, then it drops down to about 800mb when viewing the processes in the task manager.

This is the first game that's caused this on my new comp, so it shouldn't be the hardware.

Any ideas on how to stop this?

fresquito

lastplayed said:

It froze on me a couple of times the first time I played it, then attempting to launch it a third time caused a BSOD. I've noticed after about 15-20 mins of play it starts using up to 3GB of memory, then it drops down to about 800mb when viewing the processes in the task manager.

This is the first game that's caused this on my new comp, so it shouldn't be the hardware.

I had the same problem. I was using catalyst 10.7, went back to 10.6 and everything is fine now.

BTW, I've purchased General Knoxx DLC. Might bite on Zombie Island too.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Currently thinking over a 4-pack. How does this game compare to TF2, which is really the only shooter I ever play these days? I've also heard some Diablo comparisons thrown around with regards to the loot. Can I really go wrong at $7?

Finished the Dr Ned's DLC last night. I was definitely glad for the change of scenery from the majority of the standard game. Now onto the other two DLC's.

Nabs

lastplayed said:

same prob on 10.7s. jumped back to 10.5a so I can also play Quake without issue.

Started playing this on PC after having only played the 360 version since launch, obviously this is with settings turned all the way up but sheesh, way better than I recall.

fresquito said:
I had the same problem. I was using catalyst 10.7, went back to 10.6 and everything is fine now.

I'm also using 10.7, so I'll roll back and see how it goes. Thanks!

zero margin said:
Started playing this on PC after having only played the 360 version since launch, obviously this is with settings turned all the way up but sheesh, way better than I recall.

Have you downloaded one of the community made tweakers that lets you mess around with the graphic settings in greater detail and depth?

derFeef

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Can you add the hard copy of this game to steam or do you have to buy it through steam to use the DLC.
The retail copy (and the DLCs) is not compatible in any way with steam. It does not even have a key.

The Zombie DLC was fucking bad ass. At first I was worried because it seemed pretty slow. But it was a riot. Playing through the underdome riot one and it's a lot more fun than I was expecting, even though I am playing it alone.

jaundicejuice said:
Have you downloaded one of the community made tweakers that lets you mess around with the graphic settings in greater detail and depth?

Didn't even know about that but I will find that now. Thanks!

fresquito

Lol, I started playing a lone game and was doing fine with a deadly soldier. I had saved up to 10,000+ money, then I decide to try the "change skills tree" option without realising I wa investing a lot of money. So I end up with a shitty skill tree and with less than 2,000 money.

If there's one thing I would improve in this game, that's the menu system. I've gotten used to it by now, but damn it if it's not utterly unintuitive!

Red

Mr Sandman said:
The Zombie DLC was fucking bad ass. At first I was worried because it seemed pretty slow. But it was a riot. Playing through the underdome riot one and it's a lot more fun than I was expecting, even though I am playing it alone.
Problem with Underdome isn't that it's boring outright, but that it takes too long. It's incredibly tedious solo.

TheHakku

fresquito said:
If there's one thing I would improve in this game, that's the menu system. I've gotten used to it by now, but damn it if it's not utterly unintuitive!

2lm6w7c.png

The amount of money you will sacrifice might not be jumping out at you, but it is shown before you decide to reset the skill points. Sorry you lost so much. :/ Money doesn't become too much of an issue once you are incredibly far into the game. :]

fresquito

TheHakku said:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2lm6w7c.png
The amount of money you will sacrifice might not be jumping out at you, but it is shown before you decide to reset the skill points. Sorry you lost so much. :/ Money doesn't become too much of an issue once you are incredibly far into the game. :]
Yeah. that was my fault, although as you say, it should jump to the eyes. However my complaints were more based on the horrible system of pressing odd keys to navigate menus. It's just retarded it's not been fixed by now.

Plaguefox said:
This is the one thing I would change. The menu functionality is broken in so many ways it's just an embarrassment, even for people who weren't involved in the UI design. I'm surprised at how little they've done to fix the PC side's interface given the time and "releases" they've had.

Oh, that and adjustable FOV. I guess that makes two things. This game's default on my 16:10 makes me nauseous, and the community fixes are hack-jobs.

(Thinking more on this, I think Borderlands might be one of those rare games that I loved to play and hated to have to play at the same time.)
Seriously, it's probably the worst port I've seen. Graphics look good and all, but the the menus are embarrasing. At least you can tweak things to get something fixed.

benjipwns said:
At least we can use the scroll wheel now! In this day and age...
But I understand the wheel improvement is meant to work only when you receive missions? Or can you also scroll in every menu? I should check into it. And the font change to see all the atributes of each weapon too :lol (I've only changed the jumping, the FOV, and gotten rid of the initial videos)

BTW, Is there any way to sell objects without having to confirm each of them? I've tried control and shift holding, but didn't work.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
fresquito said:

I checked around on the internet some and it seems you can go back to 10.7 and play Borderlands without issue.

How? Disable Catalyst A.I (And by doing so, disabling the performance tweaks in the drivers).

This will make it run without crashing as the performance fixes that make the game crash, due to a funky memory leak, are disabled.

Hope ATI fixes this by next week when the 10.8 release is out as the game is said to be much smoother with 10.7, crashes aside :).

fresquito

Interesting. However, I won't bother and will wait for the next release. I don't notice much difference between 10.6 and 10.7, to be honest.

I've gotten the car for the first time and... I'd liked some other vehicle, more controllable and less deadly. You know, I could skip using it, but I'm so lazy...

BTW, colors for weapons are broken or what? I've gotten a lot of purple weapons that were utter garbage and some white ones are so sweet. I don't get it.

derFeef

fresquito said:
BTW, colors for weapons are broken or what? I've gotten a lot of purple weapons that were utter garbage and some white ones are so sweet. I don't get it.
Depends on the things you are looking for and the manufactor of the gun. There are manufactors which do their best job with high fire rate for example, but only have moderate damage. So a purple gun of that manufactor may have a total crazy batshit fire rate. Do not look for damage numbers only - I made the same mistake and missed out some cool guns.

fresquito

derFeef said:
Depends on the things you are looking for and the manufactor of the gun. There are manufactors which do their best job with high fire rate for example, but only have moderate damage. So a purple gun of that manufactor may have a total crazy batshit fire rate. Do not look for damage numbers only - I made the same mistake and missed out some cool guns.
That's something I've realised. However, the difference is just too big. I mean, I've seen green weapons that do 16 damage and white that do 21. But the clip capacity is much better on the green one, and the accuracy, and what not. However, I have an assault rifle that does 40 damage and the nearest one I've found would be 25 or so. It's just a bit odd.

Edit: Oh. My. God.

My honeymoon in Pandora is over. I'm really angry at this game. I entered the Dark Cave (I don't know if that's the name, it's the one with a mission where you have to collect 50 crystals) and basically I hated every bit of it. First, my friend and I were quite underpowered, that was our fault. But little by little, we managed to advance. Until respawn fucked everything. Not only we were getting out of ammo all the time, but we would beat a bunch of enemies, just to discover the ones behind were respawning. Then after much struggle, we reach a point where we die and die and die, but we're halfway through and have reached a level that should be enough. But enemies never stop respawning, and they respawn just before our eyes and we die and die.

At one moment I was examining the dozens of green and blue dropped weapons, comparing them to mine, checking out their value, etc, and enemies would respawn just there and kill us once and again. So we forgot about new weapons, we ran, we shot and we died. Eventually we made the mission and the Claptrap mission too, but we really hated it. And it got nothing to do with dificulty, but with retarded respawn. I loathe respawn, but when it's done this way, I feel like killing. Seriously, I don't want to touch this game for some days. And if not because I enjoy playing with friends, I'd uninstall and never'd look back.

What the fuck where Gearbox thinking?

Well I got back to playing the game over steam and want to do the DLCs but I'm having the issue of it freezing on me every 20 minutes or so. I read it is an issue with ati cards. is there a fix for it? when I'm online it would boot the other player. when offline it just freezes and go black for a few minutes.

W7 Home Premium 64Bit. Radeon 5770.

derFeef

DMPrince said:
Well I got back to playing the game over steam and want to do the DLCs but I'm having the issue of it freezing on me every 20 minutes or so. I read it is an issue with ati cards. is there a fix for it? when I'm online it would boot the other player. when offline it just freezes and go black for a few minutes.

W7 Home Premium 64Bit. Radeon 5770.
Yep, driver problem - roll back to 10.6 drivers :)

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Slightly straying from normal discussion - But I wanted to share!

Really excited because I got my custom bamboo iPhone 4 case. Got a boxing claptrap on the back of it with the GBX logo. I love it :D

40392_461474000398_560865398_6791779_5483580_n.jpg

Haunted

GBX_AdamF said:
Slightly straying from normal discussion - But I wanted to share!

Really excited because I got my custom bamboo iPhone 4 case. Got a boxing claptrap on the back of it with the GBX logo. I love it :D

40392_461474000398_560865398_6791779_5483580_n.jpg
bamboo. :eek:

Gearbox logo is actually classy.

Top Bottom