• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

http://kotaku.com/5630722/borderlands-level-cap-going-up-for-free

So Gearbox settled on eight, which gets the level up to 69, for all those who have the Knoxx DLC. "69." The crowd laughed.

The eight-level increase will be offered in a free patch for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 players. The patch will also included some re-balancing tweaks to the game. Expect it this fall.

So what does this mean if I don't have any of the DLC? Will my cap be raised to 69 or 58?

Cyberia

Now the good news: They are being included in a free update for the game across all three platforms, Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford told a live PAX audience that his studio resisted making it a part of a DLC pack since, if they included those features, "you'd have to buy every previous DLC" to get access to said features. So, instead, Pitchford said they were going to release a "free update to Borderlands that will both rebalance the original game around the level cap and increase the level cap for everyone."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/05/free-borderlands-update-will-raise-level-cap-rebalance-main-gam/

glaurung

On the one hand this news makes me very sad because my PS3 died and my Borderlands level 58 soldier save died with it.

On the other hand this makes me happy, because the rebalancing sounds like a nice enough reason the replay the game from the beginning again. Maybe try some other character classes too.

Raide

h3ro said:
:D Awesome news.

Does this mean 69 for all or does it mean non-DLC owners go up to 58?

Sounds like 69 for all but without the Knoxx DLC, there really won't be content to get players above the 50's. If the re-balancing tweaks help to keep the old content getting harder, then it will be ok but it might be better for everyone to get the DLC.

Hopefully they do a nice sale on the DLC so everyone can jump in. Knoxx is awesome. :D

I wonder if they will add a proper New Game+ and actually reset everything after the second playthrough?

h3ro

Raide said:
Sounds like 69 for all but without the Knoxx DLC, there really won't be content to get players above the 50's. If the re-balancing tweaks help to keep the old content getting harder, then it will be ok but it might be better for everyone to get the DLC.

Hopefully they do a nice sale on the DLC so everyone can jump in. Knoxx is awesome. :D

I wonder if they will add a proper New Game+ and actually reset everything after the second playthrough?

I'd love a universal price drop on the DLC once the GOTY edition is released. I missed out on the deal of the week prices on XBLA and would like to pick up the Zombie Island and Knoxx packs.

MrDaravon

Waaaaait a minute. So the Giantbomb article on this (here) indicates that the 4th DLC is coming in September, but the free level cap increase patch is coming in October? Why the fuck would they do that? Now I have no initiative to get the DLC when it hits, since I'm already capped and if I get the DLC and complete, the patch will hit but then I'll have nothing left to really do except arbitrarily raise the last 8 levels. I don't understand, this seems incredibly stupid.

benjipwns

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Waaaaait a minute. So the Giantbomb article on this (here) indicates that the 4th DLC is coming in September, but the free level cap increase patch is coming in October? Why the fuck would they do that? Now I have no initiative to get the DLC when it hits, since I'm already capped and if I get the DLC and complete, the patch will hit but then I'll have nothing left to really do except arbitrarily raise the last 8 levels. I don't understand, this seems incredibly stupid.
It's because of the scheduling of the GOTY for late-October. I think they want to get the DLC out before for people who already bought the game.

They might be holding the patch so the GOTY includes it, and they want to see if anything comes up due to the last DLC? The extra tuning they're doing might take more time as well.

Dunno, I wouldn't have minded DLC coming out around the same time as GOTY.

Birbo

Quick question: Does the 360 add on disc that has Zombie Island of Dr. Ned and Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot install to the HD or do you play it from the disc?

Birbo said:
Quick question: Does the 360 add on disc that has Zombie Island of Dr. Ned and Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot install to the HD or do you play it from the disc?
Installs the dlc to the hdd. You use the normal borderlands disc to play.

If you're a Borderlands fan who purchased the General Knoxx content and already received a level cap increase of 11, then you'll still be able to progress another eight levels when the patch is released. That means 50 + 11 + 8 = 69. Gearbox is having a laugh at anyone striving toward that number.

nice!

Zertez

Adam, any plans to reward the people who bought all the dlc? Especially the grindfest that was Mad Moxxie. Maybe a Pearl that procs morph midget every once in awhile :lol

I beat it to completion on PS3, but now that I have a 360 I'm looking to pick it up again.

How is the online community? Is it worth it to wait for the DLC (it's 24 used in Canada now)?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unless you get a deal on points, you might as well wait for the GOTY edition. Maybe MS will put the packs on sale again, but you never know.

Not sure if people are playing online anymore though... I got the impression that most people farmed the hell out of Crawmerax already?

firehawk12 said:
Unless you get a deal on points, you might as well wait for the GOTY edition. Maybe MS will put the packs on sale again, but you never know.

Not sure if people are playing online anymore though... I got the impression that most people farmed the hell out of Crawmerax already?

Thanks, I might wait. I should have jumped online when I had it for the PS3, but I'm not a huge online player.

kai3345

Banned
Just got this game today. Rolled a Soldier and I can't remember what level I am. I killed the first boss and got my car. This game seems like it would be awesome co-op, but none of my friends who have the game want to re roll :(

GBX_AdamF said:
cool and I want that Claptrap :)

2zo9r9l.jpg

So after clearing all the DLC on my own, as a 44 Soldier is the game going to make me go for a second playthrough to do anything with Crawmerax?

Just got this game from a friend but the friend I was planning to play co-op with had his PS3 die on him. With that said, is the game enjoyable solo only, and does it have custom soundtracks?

Macmanus

Myself and three other friends just grabbed this for PC from the D2D sale. Are any of the DLC content packs a must purchase for newcomers to this game? Are they even good in the first place? The reception to them seems to be positive over all.

Macmanus said:
Myself and three other friends just grabbed this for PC from the D2D sale. Are any of the DLC content packs a must purchase for newcomers to this game? Are they even good in the first place? The reception to them seems to be positive over all.
I can vouch for Zombie Island and Armory of General Knoxx. Although both are way too high for a player that's just getting started and none add anything to the "vainilla" world (meaning that you have to go into new areas to experience the stuff in both); that's not a knock against the DLC, what I'm trying to get at is that you're probably safe playing the game up until level 20-30 or so, and then deciding on investing in those two packs if you're happy with the game. Both are fairly long and interesting side quests which add a lot of challenge, and are fun to boot.

Also, if the new DLC is coming in mid October (which I think it is, but I could be wrong), you could just wait for some sort of price deal on all four DLC packs.

Raide

Macmanus said:

Get em all!

Dr.Ned is a great laugh and adds some needed variety to the combat of Borderlands. Zombies are universally funny to kill. :D

Underdome is a perfect fix for players who like a Horde mode style experience. Waves of monster, some interesting combinations of weapon usage and the chance to unlock some more inventory spots! Probably the weakest of the DLC but still a great diversion.

Noxx...more gear, more vehicles, more levels...more of everything! If you have to get 1 DLC, get this one.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
FunkyPajamas said:
Also, if the new DLC is coming in mid October (which I think it is, but I could be wrong), you could just wait for some sort of price deal on all four DLC packs.

New DLC comes out next week. :)

GOTY Edition comes out mid October.

Title Update with rescaling and new level cap comes out sometime in October.

GBX_AdamF said:
New DLC comes out next week. :)

GOTY Edition comes out mid October.

Title Update with rescaling and new level cap comes out sometime in October.
:D Awesome, thanks for clearing that up and sorry for the misinformation!

Have you guys announced the price point for the last DLC yet?

(; When are we getting Borderlands 2 news?

JDS 1977

Banned
I was playing this like crazy for awhile did the main quest and the zombie island. I got to the Knoxx expansion and it's cool but it seems like every time I go to play again I have to start off at the main place and drive all the damn way to the quest area constantly instead of being able to use the transport system thingy.

Am I missing something? It doesn't seem like I should have to backtrack so much when I didn't have to in the rest of the game. It's kinda taken the fun out of it that I had previously since I'm always driving past the same stupid turrets and barricades for 5 minutes before I can go do anything.

JDS 1977 said:
I was playing this like crazy for awhile did the main quest and the zombie island. I got to the Knoxx expansion and it's cool but it seems like every time I go to play again I have to start off at the main place and drive all the damn way to the quest area constantly instead of being able to use the transport system thingy.

Am I missing something? It doesn't seem like I should have to backtrack so much when I didn't have to in the rest of the game. It's kinda taken the fun out of it that I had previously since I'm always driving past the same stupid turrets and barricades for 5 minutes before I can go do anything.
As far as I know, none of the expansions/DLC levels have internal quick-travel (or whatever they're called in the game) spots. You always have to backtrack in those levels. I'm pretty sure Adam will correct me if I'm wrong :p

Jinaar

Man... the 28th is SOOO close. Waiting for this is like waiting to lose my virginity. Oh wait... *cries in the corner*

I swear if they ever had a DLC Avatar Claptrap suit to purchase for XBL, day one good sir, day one. I would never replace it.

Macmanus

Is vehicle combat prowess determined by different iterations of the vehicles, class abilities, or both? Specifically accuracy and damage. The initial vehicle's accuracy is terrible.

Macmanus said:
Is vehicle combat prowess determined by different iterations of the vehicles, class abilities, or both? Specifically accuracy and damage. The initial vehicle's accuracy is terrible.
You know the vehicles can lock on with their missles right?

I just noticed the steam achievements were updated for the new dlc (7 of them)

Tourist
Read all 6 claptrap statue placards

Muerte la robo-lución
Defeated the Interplanetary Ninja Assassin Claptrap

The Collector
Completed Tannis' crazy request

The Lubricator
Found 25 claptrap oil cans

Bobble-trap
Collected 15 claptrap bobbleheads

It's so realistic!
Collected 5 3D glasses