• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

reKon

Banned
GAF I'm seriously thinking about buying this game. My PS3 needs some split screen co-op love to go along with Modnation Racer's (which is brilliant, go buy it if you like kart racers!).

How is the gun play in this? Is the split-screen a fun experience AND does it actually enhance the campaign? Does this game ever really get intense (to put things into context to me: intense = killzone 2/battlefield: bad company 2/team fotress 2/left 4 dead. Not intense = MW2/Halo 3)

If I love RPGs and enjoy FPSs, but did not care much for Fallout 3 at all, will this game be still be fun/addicting as shit?

What are the benefits to leveling high in this game in terms of enemies or in other words:
Are there really fun/hard bosses to be own?

I absolutely loved playing phantasy star on the gamecube with 4 others (even with the shitty frame rate!) For those who have played both games, did you have just as much fun with borderlands?

Lastly, the FPS/RPG hybrid concept of this game seems incredible, so other than story, why do you think that this game averaging a 90ish like other great games on metacritic?

One person doesn't have to answer every question, but you can, you are officially a boss.

Thanks!

sun-drop

level 24 siren

just a question ...when looking at yr gun inventory ... it has the gun stats ..then underneath it's got various +/- stats ..are those added on top of the values shown above? or a summery about the influence yr character had on the stats resulting in the top main summary?

reKon said:
GAF I'm seriously thinking about buying this game. My PS3 needs some split screen co-op love to go along with Modnation Racer's (which is brilliant, go buy it if you like kart racers!).

Is the split-screen a fun experience AND does it actually enhance the campaign?

Warhawk is a better split screen experience. I played Borderlands split screen and it was a bit annoying as your field of vision is obstructed. It's obstructed in Warhawk as well, but to a less frustrating degree.

How is the gun play in this?

Depends on what class modifier you're using and what random gun you've found. I like the Gunslinger mod for the Hunter and a nice revolver. How you fill out your skill tree will affect the various attributes of your gun skills (reload speed, critical hit, etc.)

Does this game ever really get intense (to put things into context to me: intense = killzone 2/battlefield: bad company 2/team fotress 2/left 4 dead. Not intense = MW2/Halo 3)

I wouldn't compare it to any of those because of the RPG elements, that affects how your game play experience will end up. I enjoy that the game has obvious and sensible enemy weak spots. No bullcrap random stuff. Spider Ants have no thorax armor, certain Crimson Lance troops don't have armored balls, so crotch shots do more damage.

I haven't played any multiplayer versus, so I can't comment on any of that.

What are the benefits to leveling high in this game in terms of enemies or in other words:
Are there really fun/hard bosses to be own?

The end goal is the complete domination of your enemies. If you cannot comprehend the value in getting random loot for heavier weapons to watch hundreds of hit points erupt off your enemies like a geyser thanks to elemental damage, then you may not find joy here.

I absolutely loved playing phantasy star on the gamecube with 4 others (even with the shitty frame rate!) For those who have played both games, did you have just as much fun with borderlands?

Only superficially similar. I put 80 hours into Phantasy Star Portable. I have a little over 72 hours into my Hunter in Borderlands. Both great games. I also have a few hours into a Siren and a Soldier so that I can play lower level games with friends who aren't as hopelessly addicted to this game.

Lastly, the FPS/RPG hybrid concept of this game seems incredible, so other than story, why do you think that this game averaging a 90ish like other great games on metacritic?

The reason I like this game is the story all takes place in game. There's no cutscenes, no lengthy exposition, and generally nothing to overly interrupt the flow of me shooting things for random loot. If you're looking for some kind of "rich story", go read a book. A lot of Borderlands fiction exists in the players head, much like the motion in comic books is inserted by the reader.

There's also a lot of creative platforming to discover. I spent a couple hours exploring Old Haven last night to open crates I hadn't found before. You can also create your own silly parameter / mini-games when you get high level enough. For example tonight I started using my melee attack on the thorax of Spider Ants to kill them. Spices things up, despite all the love I have for my four awesome guns. :D

You're welcome.

Try renting it. The GotY Edition is well worth the price of entry if you're pre-disposed to this sort of game.

benjipwns

Banned
sun-drop said:
level 24 siren

just a question ...when looking at yr gun inventory ... it has the gun stats ..then underneath it's got various +/- stats ..are those added on top of the values shown above? or a summery about the influence yr character had on the stats resulting in the top main summary?
The values at top include those. They are not added on top of that.

The x3 or x7 or whatever damage bonus you do multiply on though.

Just started this game. I'm a level 6 Siren. I didn't know where to put my skill points so I ended up putting it in the shield defense up since I kept getting my shields low. Completely regretting it since I understand how phasewalk works now.

Just trying to figure out what type of character I want to be. I ditched the SMG because the scags move around too much. Shotguns work better and I have a zoom on my pistol for critical shots.

Is there a good stealthy skill tree? It seems the enemies always know where you are. The A.I. stinks. I was hoping I could go all MGS on this game. The phasewalk is too short and I'm using it more as a runaway tactic than an offensive tactic.

benjipwns

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Ha ha! I've been doing it wrong.
It only makes sense after you know it, that the panel is an explanatory of the weapon, with the other stats descriptors of its value. Otherwise you think all of the panel is add on to the weapon, not just the red text.

It could have been done better.
marathonfool said:
Just started this game. I'm a level 6 Siren. I didn't know where to put my skill points so I ended up putting it in the shield defense up since I kept getting my shields low. Completely regretting it since I understand how phasewalk works now.

Is there a good stealthy skill tree? It seems the enemies always know where you are. The A.I. stinks. I was hoping I could go all MGS on this game. The phasewalk is too short and I'm using it more as a runaway tactic than an offensive tactic.
There is no stealth really in the game. Using sniper rifles you can clear out enemies from afar, but otherwise you're not going to be sneaking around otherwise.

The Phasewalk, which has been toned down in the patches, is still somewhat overpowered. There are plenty of skills to upgrade its length, recharge, etc. Plus you can have it recharge your health during it, plus a recharging shield will fill you back up.

The Siren is basically invincible by the endgame against most enemies. You don't runaway with it, when you're in trouble you trigger it, hurt everyone around you, catch them on fire or shock them or whatever, and recharge before coming out of it to rape more.

Although I at least have used it to run through areas I can't be assed fighting far lower class enemies due to the speed boost. (Done the same with Brick sometimes as well.)

I think that the shield one (Diva) is the best of the first tier, others disagree, but it helps when you're lower class and before you get recharging shields and health.

Check out: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Lilith#Skill_Tree
I think I had something like this near the end of my first playthrough: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21505050000000000505050
And before the patch was doing something like this: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21505055050000005555551

zugzug

heh I still can't play this game with headphones on the PC. I start game up I hear sound from opening credits then game starts and zero sound. :p screw you borderlands

Salaadin

Im using Borderlands Advanced Config for various tweaks. I read on the wiki that 101 is the best FOV for a 16:9 monitor. I set that and save but whenever I exit and then reboot Advanced Config, the FOV settings reset back to the default 90 and 110. ANy ideas here?

benjipwns

Banned
Salaadin said:
Im using Borderlands Advanced Config for various tweaks. I read on the wiki that 101 is the best FOV for a 16:9 monitor. I set that and save but whenever I exit and then reboot Advanced Config, the FOV settings reset back to the default 90 and 110. ANy ideas here?
You have to bind the FOV change to a key or mouse button. Some people put it on the sprint button, but for some reason it doesn't work if I'm not hosting in co-op so I moved it to the scroll wheel button which is easy enough to tap getting out of vehicles.

Documents/My Games/Borderlands/WillowGame/WillowInput.ini
Turn off word wrap.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaks#Adjust_FOV_.28Field_of_View.29

Mine:
Bindings=(Name="MiddleMouseButton",Command="FOV 101.409630521",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

My god.

Just beat the game on my second play through with the Hunter.

What's this I hear about a 2.5 play through? I noticed enemies are a bit tougher. Awesome! Plus with my Gunslinger mod and current specs I can shoot, reload, and regenerate revolver ammo faster than I can use it. :lol :lol :lol

What's this I hear about a 2.5 play through? I noticed enemies are a bit tougher. Awesome! Plus with my Gunslinger mod and current specs I can shoot, reload, and regenerate revolver ammo faster than I can use it. :lol :lol :lol

After you beat the main game on playthrough 2, all of the main world rebalances to about a level higher than you (post patch, prior everything became level 50)

StopMakingSense said:
After you beat the main game on playthrough 2, all of the main world rebalances to about a level higher than you (post patch, prior everything became level 50)

. . .

Then. . .

Then I will keep shooting.

EVERYTHING! :D

I really hope I don't three play all of the characters and DLC. :lol :lol :lol

Is there a quick way to heal? I hate using the menu system, especially in the middle of a battle. Would have been nice if the game automatically healed you like MGS.

benjipwns

Banned
marathonfool said:
Is there a quick way to heal? I hate using the menu system, especially in the middle of a battle. Would have been nice if the game automatically healed you like MGS.
There are shields will that will recharge your health, there are also skills that will do so.

But no, to use a health pack you have to use the inventory. On the upside, in single player at least, it pauses the game.

At a certain point you won't even need health packs except for a random odd situation.

Jinaar

rc213 said:
Crawmerax how I missed busting a cap in your eye. <3

I tried to solo him with Mordecai last night. Failed so miserably over and over again. Obviously there is something to it, but those giant balls of death he shoots out kills you almost instantly, dick worms demolish my shields instantly, try to circle strafe him immediately from a distance counter clockwise but meh... dead dead dead. I have fast health regen shields, the right weapons, the right build to daze and survive as best as possible with Bloodwing. Nadda. Will try again tonight.

Beat him in groups fine enough, just solo, insta-gibbed.

One thing I wish / hope they could change in the Underdome is when you're playing the Prove Yourself challenges and the randomized effects Moxxi applies to everybody pops on screen - guys, that sh*t gets in the way of seeing where supply drops are between rounds! WTF? How did that get past yous guys?

If that could be fixed in a patch somehow, make the box smaller or like a slot machine display perhaps. Just don't overlay a big block of grey OVER my field of vision. That's just awful.

ripsa

Neo Member
Worth picking up the GOTY edition. It's a really great game. Combining a Diablo style loot RPG with a Shooter was a genius idea on the developer's part. Got a level 59 Soldier Rifleman on Playthrough 2.5 and a level 51 Hunter Scavenger on Playthrough 2.

Got the game when it orginally came out. I skipped Mad Moxxi but picked up the other DLCs and love the latest patch with the free level cap increase. Enjoying the General Knoxx DLC with the soldier and the latest Clap Trap Revolution DLC with the hunter at the moment. No Cyans drops yet but have the right Orange weapons for each class.

Up to level 11 Siren now. The the A.I. is just dumb. Died the first time to BoneYard(?). Next time I just used my sniper, he just stood there and died.

I think I'm gonna go for the Phasewalk Daze. I rather use my guns to kill for now and not rely on the offensive powers of the phasewalk. It's gotten me out of bad situations more than not.

So far I'm liking the leveling system. I hope you continue to level up at a fairly brisk pace. The elemental guns seem to work really well. None of SMG, Pistol, or Shotgun skills have leveled up. I tend to use melee quite a bit. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me later in the game.

ZZMitch

Just bought this in the Steam sale, it is a great game, but I am having some issues...

Why is the "aim down sight" not a toggle??

This is extremely annoying and should at least be some sort of option. Is there some other way to fix this?

timkunedo said:
so tempted to pick this up from steam for 9.99. hmmmmmm

It's a sh*tload of game for $9.99! Pull the trigger.

Is there something preventing me from getting extra backpack SDU on my second / third playthrough with a character? I'm stuck at 39 slots in my backpack. I need more. :(

Looking at the wiki:

During the second playthrough, the first five rescue missions and the DLCs (Safe House, The Lost Cave, New Haven, Tetanus Warren, Scrapyard, Lumberyard, Lockdown Palace, Tartarus Station) award either a Backpack SDU or a Grenade Mod. The closer to being full a character's inventory is, the more likely the reward of a Backpack SDU. The chance of gaining an SDU has been found to be highest if the character has a full inventory, and decreases when there are empty storage slots when the mission reward is accepted. Additionally, there appears to be a greater chance increase if the player turns in the quest with an overloaded inventory (i.e. turning in quests which dispense items as mission rewards when the player's inventory is already full).

Pooooop!

Is there any way to ensure obtaining it on the console version? I can't CTRL+ALT+DEL :(

FoeHammer

Gamestop will have the 360 GotY version for $29.99 tomorrow! :O

Damn, I may have to jump on that. Thanks for the heads up.

I finished the vanilla game and loved the absolute hell out of it and the DLC looks pretty awesome as well. I really wish I hadn't traded in my original copy; Borderlands is a special game.

I'm a Level 21 Siren and just arrived to the Dahl Headlands. Almost all of my skill points have been distributed in the controller skill tree. Worked out pretty well so far. I started to get bored of the game near the end of Arid Badlands. Just getting sick of all the skags and human fodder. I picked up a combat rifle and it really turned the game around for me. The gun combat feels so much better.

I think I'll gonna focus on my guns, level up my Crit skill and go with Mind Games.

Haeleos

I really thought the bad humor/writing, limited customization and the repetitive scenery/enemy variation would have ruined my enjoyment of this game... but I am having a blast. I'm really surprised by how fun and addictive this game is.

Picked up the 6 pack and have been playing with friends all weekend. And oh man, I love the visuals of this game ... I'm a sucker for art styles like Street Fighter 4 and Team Fortress 2. Everything is just so inviting and it makes you enjoy being in that world. I also love how the guns all look like they're ripped from the GI Joe figurines I played with as a kid. Only complaint is somethings are hard to focus on due to the light/shadow contrast and the FOV being so far forward.

I hope there's a sequel somewhere down the line... there's a lot of stuff they could improve on, but the base game underneath it all is a ton of fun.

The day/night transition, soundtrack, the wastelands, the loot collecting, playing a game in every free minute I got, it was an awesome experience, although I would have never played it if I haven't had a good friend who played it with me.

onken

Come back to this lately to play through the DLC, hell yeah the Armory is fun. Though I'm beginning to accept that I'll never find a better gun than my trust Pestilent Defiler. It just kills everything, even at level 55.

161n9m9.jpg

Lunchbox

Banned
onken said:
Come back to this lately to play through the DLC, hell yeah the Armory is fun. Though I'm beginning to accept that I'll never find a better gun than my trust Pestilent Defiler. It just kills everything, even at level 55.

161n9m9.jpg

you should keep playing :)

pv6RS.jpg

Raide said:
I though it was the Patch + Clap Trap DLC that got it to 69?

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Level#Levels

The maximum level cap for all characters is currently 69, unlocked after installing The Secret Armory of General Knoxx. Players without it are limited to level 58. You can level up over 58 in any area of the game at the moment you have installed the DLC The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.

The level cap for all characters was increased by 8 with the release of patch 1.4.1. The former level cap was 50, or 61 for those who installed The Secret Armory of General Knoxx. This makes a total of 69 skill points to earn, though the four gained from DLC's 2 and 4 will still require those add-ons (as they are mission rewards).

Raide said:
I was mistaken.

*doffs his cap*
It was a little confusing when they announced the level increase. There are large threads on the official forums with questions about what patch/dlc or whatever changed the levels.

Top Bottom