• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Steam update but no 360, dang it, hurry this thing up MS, I want to play the ClapTrap DLC!!!! It's been sitting on my harddrive since it came out just begging me to give it a go, but I want that level cap raised first.

nli10

360 patch DLd to my machine about 45 mins ago. Is gradually rolling out across the system.

Seems that Gearbox's technique of releasing the other formats to make Microsoft make a special effort to get it done worked.

Thanks to all involved. :D

69 here I come.

Twitter - @GearboxSoftware said:
GearboxSoftware Gearbox Software
The Free Borderlands 1.41 Title Update is out now on PS3/XB360/PC/Steam! Read more about it here - http://bit.ly/bsORBO

Insaniac

celcius said:
I hit lv69 this morning. A few runs through the Eridian Promontory will have you there in no time :D
I still haven't found a single Atlas Chimera pistol though...

*hugs his 1000+ damage chimera*

DMPrince said:
With the lvl cap removed is the enemy dificulty dynamic?
Seems to be. Mobs where 55 when I was 54 and when I hit 55 they where 56. No idea if they always stay one level ahead though.

-edit- This is assuming you've cleared playthrough 2. Also the dlc packs don't seem to scale.

Sciz

MiloFoxburr said:
Seems to be. Mobs where 55 when I was 54 and when I hit 55 they where 56. No idea if they always stay one level ahead though.

-edit- This is assuming you've cleared playthrough 2. Also the dlc packs don't seem to scale.
Zombie Island was scaling for me when I was toying around earlier.

Sciz said:
Zombie Island was scaling for me when I was toying around earlier.

im on playthrough 2, still in fyrestone, and when i went to zombie island (for the first time) all of the zombies were a good handful of levels higher than me. i think im 39 and they were all 42 and 43 (or at least the ones that were killing me with spit).

all of the bounty board quests show level 42 recommended, so it's safe to say that this particular DLC scales. especially considering all these fyrestone quests are 36-39 recommended.

Sciz

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
im on playthrough 2, still in fyrestone, and when i went to zombie island (for the first time) all of the zombies were a good handful of levels higher than me. i think im 39 and they were all 42 and 43 (or at least the ones that were killing me with spit).

all of the bounty board quests show level 42 recommended, so it's safe to say that this particular DLC scales. especially considering all these fyrestone quests are 36-39 recommended.
Zombie Island always scaled within certain ranges, even on release. The problem pre-1.4 was that it capped out at level 50, and the Knoxx cap was 61. What's supposed to happen now is that after clearing a certain PT2 quest (the last plot one, I think), all content everywhere scales to your level.

Circle T

LocoMrPollock said:
Anyone find any guns 61+ yet? Haven't found shit myself.
I loaded up the game yesterday to get the patch, so I wandered around a bit, fighting some enemies and what not. I was in New Haven, and I noticed there were some guns in the vending machines that were 62 and 64. They didn't seem that special to me at a glance, but they at least there are some out there.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
DLC1, DLC4, and Borderlands are scaled after you complete Playthrough 2.

DLC3 requires you to complete the 2nd PT of Knoxx to have that scale. Since it has a different level requirement, it technically had its own set of playthroughs.

And yes - There are plenty of 61+ gear in the game :)

I just hit level 50 last night and I hope I come across some better loot soon. I honestly haven't replaced my 4 main guns for at least 10 levels, most of the drops are shit.

Circle T

GBX_AdamF said:
And yes - There are plenty of 61+ gear in the game :)
Was the probability of a Pearl drop increased at all? In all my many, MANY hours of playing Knoxx solo and with friends, I've never once even seen a Pearl. With this patch, is there at least a better chance that I might find something... anything? :lol

Macattk15

Everyday I think about purchasing this game ... I have never played it but love Lootfests like Diablo and the such.

I'm guessing everyone in this thread will tell me to pick it up. I don't really understand how the DLC's work with the main story ... you start working on them after you complete the main story line?

kai3345

Banned
Ugh, i wish I had someone to co-op thru this game with. Whenever I first hopped online all of a sudden my quest log was filled with almost every quest in the game and I was completley overwhelmed. Also the dudes were assholes.

Any GAFers interested in Co-Oping from the beginning with a noob? [360 version] PM me if you are.

I really want to get the most out of this game, and it seems like single player just wont cut it in terms of keeping me entertained.

Ploid 3.0

Is there a level list for the zones somewhere on the net? Like what level I should be before I enter a zone. I kinda still think levels might adjust to your level when you first enter. I.E. be a bit low and the level is locked at 1 or more levels under you, be a bit high and the level is locked a few levels above you.

I haven't entered a zone with things just out of my league (I'm looking for this). The only time it happened was when I went to that underground map near the start of the game, where you have to bust up crystals for the first time. That was awesome exp. I have only been playing offline, friendlist glitch fo life.

Edit: I'm on playthrough 2 and while it was somewhat challenging at first (I was coasting to the end of the play 1 so maybe I was just too used to bb gun enemies) the difficulty fell to the floor shortly.

Edit 2: Bah going to enter dlc 1. Hope I'm not screwing up (level 47), if it's cake walk I guess I'll just have to save the other 3 until I finish the main game, and side quests, just to be sure.

Edit 3: Crap level 42 enemies. Woo 13exp, not worth my free bullets to kill these things.

Ettie

So, I logged into multi for the first time in a long time today. Steam gives me a key and says I will need it. The game never asks for it, but I am prompted to login to gamespy, and then there's only one game available for me to join. What's going on?

Ettie said:
So, I logged into multi for the first time in a long time today. Steam gives me a key and says I will need it. The game never asks for it, but I am prompted to login to gamespy, and then there's only one game available for me to join. What's going on?

The key is for DNF.

edot: Damn my keyboarding skills.

Jinaar

Playing CLAP TRAP REV with my hunter this time. One of the
Bruts/Bullies with a claptrap brain mechanism said to me "Come with me if you want to die."
I just burst out laughing.

Played a bunch of the beginning zones with the level increase. Man this feels like a blast to play again. The little skrags are super tough again! Fear everything. I have died so much today. Fuckin' Gearbox, you guys are amazing.

Are the collecting achievements meant to be so ridiculously stupid to get?

I co-op played through the whole DLC and saw 1 oil can the entire time killing millions of Claptraps along the way....... and the achievement wants 25 of them. :|

Seriously Gearbox? Gonna bust my balls again, even after the Mad Moxxi crap?

Ploid 3.0

Jinaar said:
Playing CLAP TRAP REV with my hunter this time. One of the
Bruts/Bullies with a claptrap brain mechanism said to me "Come with me if you want to die."
I just burst out laughing.

Played a bunch of the beginning zones with the level increase. Man this feels like a blast to play again. The little skrags are super tough again! Fear everything. I have died so much today. Fuckin' Gearbox, you guys are amazing.

Yeah this game is very awesome when you're struggling to stay alive, when you're just walking over stuff it'll put me to sleep. I finally found a place that was above my level and it got fun again, good loot level drops too. I hope thing are hard forever when I finish the main game like you're saying.

The place I found was General Knoxx (figured I'd try it since I never went there). The enemies were a good 1-3 levels above me. It was awesome having to be careful, use my abilities to my advantage, and use cover. It felt like a game again. Fighting Shank was still easy, just run around a pillar when he chase while shooting him in the face. He didn't need to taunt since that just gave me even more time to shoot him. His shield is godly though.

Naeblish

I feel like the loot tables in the DLC suck gigantic balls. I'm lvl 42, and in the main game i got quiet some legendary's, especially when farming. But i've gotten none so far in the dlc, halfway threw knoxx and everything is easy because the quests are like 2-3 lvls below my lvl. I get tons of lvl 40 weapons which all suck compared to my lvl 25-30 weapons. Should i just start pt2 or something? I kinda wanted to finish all the dlc before doing that, but the game is becoming more boring every minute.

Also, i get massive framedrops in knoxx, it seems to occur when i pick up the health/shield/speed buffs, does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Naeblish said:
I feel like the loot tables in the DLC suck gigantic balls. I'm lvl 42, and in the main game i got quiet some legendary's, especially when farming. But i've gotten none so far in the dlc, halfway threw knoxx and everything is easy because the quests are like 2-3 lvls below my lvl. I get tons of lvl 40 weapons which all suck compared to my lvl 25-30 weapons. Should i just start pt2 or something? I kinda wanted to finish all the dlc before doing that, but the game is becoming more boring every minute.

Also, i get massive framedrops in knoxx, it seems to occur when i pick up the health/shield/speed buffs, does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

You get the best drops after the second playthrough.

So I have a question as someone looking into this game, would anyone recommend the original version for $20 of GOTY for $50ish? Is the dlc really worth the extra $30 dollars, plus it isn't on disc.

Hugbot

Game2Death said:
So I have a question as someone looking into this game, would anyone recommend the original version for $20 of GOTY for $50ish? Is the dlc really worth the extra $30 dollars, plus it isn't on disc.
The DLC is fantastic but you might be able to get the first DLC disc they put out (it has Mad Moxxie and Zombie Island on it) for cheap, so you could get the base game + 2 DLCs for ~$25-30. If you're not looking to get into the game for too long or you need the DLC to be on a disc, this is probably your best bet.

If you want to get into the game and settle in for a while, GOTY is probably the way to go.

Hugbot

Game2Death said:
Is there a big difference between the 360 and Ps3 versions?
I haven't played both but I don't think either version has any glaring flaws (leave that to the PC version). The only difference you'd probably be looking at is playerbase, which is at least still fairly active on 360. No clue about how many people are still playing on the PS3, though I imagine it's active as well.

Jinaar

Sooooo... last night.....

Killed the final boss in CLAPTRAP REVOLUTION. With my hunter. Took about.... 35 minutes once I stopped dying every 20 seconds. Systematically destroyed everything so I could live thru the onslaught and finally, brought it down. MINAC dead. Almost then died to the little bastard himself soon there after. Boy that would have been shitty.

The level increase has been awesome. General Knoxx tonight. :)

As of last night, I finally got all achievements for Borderlands and all of it's DLC Installments. Those horrible collection achievements took forever. Overall I have mixed feelings about the DLC.

It seems that with every DLC that comes out, Gearbox addresses one problem, but creates another. With Zombie Island, people were hoping for level cap increases & storage help. Mad Moxxi gave us a storage solution, but it was flawed and that whole expansion in general was poorly conceived. They responded with General Knoxx, which had a mind-blowing amount of content (for cheap DLC), helped by a new level cap and great loot. But that DLC's geographic layout was terribly designed and just seemed to be there to artificially increase the amount of time you spend on it. Finally they made the zones much more accessible in Robot Revolution, but the time-filler now went to collect-a-thons that had terrible drop-rates.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the game itself, it was my GOTY last year, and I've played over 100 hours among all my characters. My only wish is that the extra content had been more consistent, and by the fourth one I had hoped that they would have figured out how to fix all the blemishes that remain. Either way, bring on Borderlands 2! :D

Well, back to 100% again. Yes the collecting achievements were terrible, sitting there 'farming' the last boss on freaking Playthrough 1 for quick kills. :lol

I don't understand why they think crap like that is fun. The DLC had such huge levels, surely could have made something more interesting. One collecting one fair enough, but like 4 or 5 when there is only a handful to begin with? No thanks. :|
Wasn't even one for doing all the missions like usual (which I always do anyway).

ANYWAY

Knoxx still holds the best DLC title for me, Claptrap was funny and cool to finally be able to fight them but it just felt like something was missing, kinda like they were going through the motions with it. Even the loot was pretty average, can't remember finding anything of real interest, opening chests just didn't get me as excited by the end.

Still, so while the DLC can be largely hit-and-miss inconsistent, Borderlands remains one of my most fav new series this gen. <3 Can't wait to see what the future holds, ready for Borderlands 2 now. :D

Edgeward

Ugh, the pc patch seemed to have wiped out all my settings and has disabled some of the options using the config editor. No better FOV now. Hopefully this will be fixed.

Edit: Crisis averted, just had to change my settings in game, exit out and the Borderlands config editor works just as it was intended to do. =)

Edgeward said:
Ugh, the pc patch seemed to have wiped out all my settings and has disabled some of the options using the config editor. No better FOV now. Hopefully this will be fixed.

Just do it manually, still works that way.

benjipwns

Banned
Was for me. My game of 2009, and I've played it a ton this year too even without the DLC. Both single player and in co-op, with multiple characters.

But that's just my opinion, I know others disagree.

Ploid 3.0

This game was pretty good. The bad parts is you either level too fast or you have to struggle to fight something one level over you (depending on the enemy). Most of the game you'll be mowing down things with little effort (if you do a lot of the quests), if you just skip extra quests and somehow know which ones will advance the story you will struggle (I like to struggle, but also like exp from doing quests). The loot isn't as awesome as I thought. Sure guns are different in stats, but you're only going to want to use the best ones, and I rarely feel the need to change to something I found.

I'd recommend only if you think you'd like killing things for exp and leveling up (skill tree isn't too interesting btw). Also if you will be on PS3 and want to play with friends, I can't recommend it. It seem to be hit or miss if you'd be able to play with your friends from my experience. The friend list in my version is from 2008 it seems. Very weird stuff. Buy it cheap?

Oh the Duke code takes you to a site where you enter it and you get some VIP access to content like wallpapers, and early access to the demo whenever it shows up. May take weeks, or months. I have no idea when it's supposed to be there. Not a Duke follower.

Circle T

Zombie James said:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6638/

All four pieces of DLC for $10. Was waiting for the holiday sale... hmm...
It shows up at $29.99 for me, with the SAVINGS of $9.97, not selling at that price.

kGWPB.jpg

Top Bottom