• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Boredom is settling in once again. The big issue I have with the game right now is that the loot sucks. I used the same shotgun and combat rifle for about 10 levels. I want a better shotgun and combat rifle, but the game gives me crappy repeaters and sniper rifles. When I finally get guns that are upgrades, it's a SMG and Revolver. Guns I don't use. Sigh.

I feel like the game is forcing me into certain guns and skill trees. So far, the loot generator has absolutely been a disappointment to me.

Teknoman

marathonfool said:
Boredom is settling in once again. The big issue I have with the game right now is that the loot sucks. I used the same shotgun and combat rifle for about 10 levels. I want a better shotgun and combat rifle, but the game gives me crappy repeaters and sniper rifles. When I finally get guns that are upgrades, it's a SMG and Revolver. Guns I don't use. Sigh.

I feel like the game is forcing me into certain guns and skill trees. So far, the loot generator has absolutely been a disappointment to me.

Have you played a full 4 player game yet?

onken

marathonfool said:

I do know what you mean. I'm level 61 now and I'm STILL using the same pistol I was at level 34. Just beat Knoxx the other day, I was pretty disappointed at the loot. Super stingy time limit, found exactly 1 orange gun (which was shit) and not a single crate of pistols. Boo :/

I know you can get better loot playing multi but anything good just gets hoovered up instantly by the assholes playing up front.

On the plus I did find a really nice SMG today so that's good at least.

Just finished the game yesterday. Overall, I really enjoyed the shooting and gunplay. Each gun felt different and it was interesting just to experiment with them. My Siren had proficiencies near 10 on almost all the guns (except rocket launcher). The main gun I used, combat rifle, had a proficiency level of 15. About 3/4 of the game I used the gun that most fit the situation.

I want to note the environment and how much it reminded me of Half-Life. As you come up to a pile of dead bodies, there are subtle clues to indicate what must have happened. Each location had a unique tenor and purpose. You needed to pay attention to the environment or you missed what happened to the residents of Old Haven. The story isn't told directly to the player, but there is enough material to piece together the plot.

I did have a couple of issues with the game. Loot, which I had mentioned earlier, still sucked. 95% of the drops were trash compared to what I had in my possession. It came to the point where I began to dread those big boxes because it meant I had to juggle my full backpack to keep the most expensive guns to be sold. The drops didn't make me deliberate much at all. At the end I probably used 2-3 different levels of each gun type through 35 levels of progression. I had my Defiler and Hellfire from the midpoint to the end of the game.

The other issue was the performance of the game. The framerate drops were noticeable, this might be unique to the PS3, . It didn't affect me much throughout most of the game. The last section up to the final boss was downright bad. I can't imagine playing this game in co-op with all the different visual effects going on at once. Hope they improve the performance in Borderlands 2. I'm looking forward to play it. :D

Oh hell. Game breaking bug?

On play through 2 but have done some dlc missions before the campaign... Now I'm at the start where you first buy the shield and even though I've bought a shield and equipped it the game doesn't recognise it so I can't complete the quest.

Level 61 and wanted to 100% all the campaign missions on play through 2.

Tried dropping all shields and starting without one but it don't want to work!

Just got to the end of the Claptrap DLC. I loved it all in all.

I liked how:
  • The characters who were giving you missions FINALLY had voices and gave you the general jist of a mission. Reading that text was so bland and made the world feel even more lifeless.
  • All of the environments had one specific mission and there was very little backtracking. Most of the time it was a circular path which is nice.
  • The loot finally felt like a step up. Throughout Knoxx I didn't really feel like I was getting more powerful weapons - even after doing the run around to the armory - so it was nice to randomly find more powerful guns on even normal enemies this time around.
  • There were no vehicles. Whatsoever. YESSSS.

I've now put three days in to the game and although it's by FAR one of my favourite games this gen, there are some big changes I hope to see in Borderlands 2 to keep me interested. Such as:

• The ability to mod your own weapons. Finding that amazing gun is a rush, but I want to be able to find rare items to craft my own.
  • The environments need more variety. I've had my fill of bare, desert landscapes and towns that are full of spawn points and nothing else. More unique environments needed.
  • Better fast travelling. I still find myself running to a lot of places despite there being a fair few spawn points all over the world. This is a bit annoying now I've seen every inch of the game and simply want to turn in a completed quest.
  • Speaking of quests, they need to be more varied than "go here and kill X" or "collect x amount of x and kill x on the way". It doesn't need anything too drastic, just break those quests up a bit more.
  • A more focused story and perhaps a few NPCs. I play co-op with my girlfriend so I've always had company when playing, but it still feels empty and lifeless at times. I want to see Pandora come to life a bit more.
  • No vehicles. Seriously. They suck.

I think that Borderlands 1.5 would be great fun (although you could consider the DLC that, probably) but if the above happened, and more, it would be one of the most perfect games I could imagine. Make it happen, Gearbox.

marathonfool said:
The other issue was the performance of the game. The framerate drops were noticeable, this might be unique to the PS3, . It didn't affect me much throughout most of the game. The last section up to the final boss was downright bad. I can't imagine playing this game in co-op with all the different visual effects going on at once. Hope they improve the performance in Borderlands 2. I'm looking forward to play it. :D

Is that the Ruins stage? Sounds like a PS3 issue, 360 is solid through that point.

Only time I've seen the game bog down is when I was getting swarmed by tons of zombies in the Dr. Ned DLC. My guns have fire effect, so there was a lot of fire effects, enemies, and in general stuff on screen.

Actually IIRC I think there was some slowdown fighting General Knox when he and some of the other robots were on screen.

Overall it's a pretty solid experience on 360. Oh well. Still a fun game on whatever you're going to play it on! :D

Hit level 69 on second play through tonight.

I can't get the damned Claptrap to give me the SDU upgrade to get 42 slots. :(

I've got the repair kit for the lumber yard claptrap, and it's such a pain in the ass getting to him that I only did a repair / reset once. He gave me some guns. NO! NEED SDU!

I've got 40/39 items in inventory presently. So according to the wiki the odds should be good.

Is this a sure fire method, or can you guys suggest some better means of getting the damned thing to work?

Thanks.

onken

Bleh, did 5 runs of Krawmerax, 4 people all level 65 or over but every Defiler that dropped was still fucking worse than my level 35 one (well, found one with more bullets and a scope but 100 less powerful, bleh).

Also, I noticed that one of the people picked up a really light blue colored gun, never see that before, is that an ultra-rare?

Insaniac

onken said:
Bleh, did 5 runs of Krawmerax, 4 people all level 65 or over but every Defiler that dropped was still fucking worse than my level 35 one (well, found one with more bullets and a scope but 100 less powerful, bleh).

Also, I noticed that one of the people picked up a really light blue colored gun, never see that before, is that an ultra-rare?

yeah pearlescent.

I finally found a pretty decent shield with 1900+ shields, 450 recharge and very fast healing

firehawk12

Subete no aware
onken said:

Those are the Pearlescent weapons, the new top tier.

I'm level 40 now on my 2nd play through. My best guns are still the weapons I used at level 22. My Hellfire, Defiler, and Volcano. The gun loot in this game is the worst loot I've ever come across in loot games.

onken

firehawk12 said:
Those are the Pearlescent weapons, the new top tier.

That's annoying, it was picked up ages after I was done picking over the scene, can't believe I missed it. Probably because it's so light blue it almost looks white from a quick glance (and quick is the operative word when you have 3 other people scavenging over the same stuff).

marathonfool said:
I'm level 40 now on my 2nd play through. My best guns are still the weapons I used at level 22. My Hellfire, Defiler, and Volcano. The gun loot in this game is the worst loot I've ever come across in loot games.

Improvements are just rare that's all, does it make it REALLY satisfying though when you finally do get an upgrade. Just got an improved Volcano myself (only took 39 extra levels :lol ) but man, it rocks.

Zertez

onken said:
That's annoying, it was picked up ages after I was done picking over the scene, can't believe I missed it. Probably because it's so light blue it almost looks white from a quick glance (and quick is the operative word when you have 3 other people scavenging over the same stuff).
Most pearls arent that great. It is nice to say you have, but you can find better guns than pearls. In some builds they are useful, but on my Siren I rarely use them. My Double Anarchy and Hellfire sees the most usage running Craw solo.

onken said:
Improvements are just rare that's all, does it make it REALLY satisfying though when you finally do get an upgrade. Just got an improved Volcano myself (only took 39 extra levels :lol ) but man, it rocks.
I hope they do address it in the sequel. The gun loot should at least make me deliberate if I should keep them. Playing with the same gun is really boring for 18 levels. That's why my proficiency is spread out on all different guns.

onken said:
It's more frustrating than rewarding, though. You should be getting an awesome new gun every hour, if not less.

I can't remember the last time my girlfriend or I found a better weapon (lvl 68 now).

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
What's the consensus on how to proceed after Playthrough 1? I'm level 36 and have all of the DLC. I was going to run through the DLC in order of release then begin Playthrough 2.

DjangoReinhardt said:
What's the consensus on how to proceed after Playthrough 1? I'm level 36 and have all of the DLC. I was going to run through the DLC in order of release then begin Playthrough 2.

That sounds like a plan. Tackling some of the DLC right out on playthrough 2 is helluva tough single player. :(

jambo

Still powering through Borderlands, I'm about 24 hours in and just hit lvl 30 on my Soldier.

Having so much fun playing with a mate. Every single hour of the 24 has been online in co-op.

Also I haven't run in to the issue that a lot of other people seem to with guns. I haven't stuck with any. I've been buying and selling and looting and swapping like crazy.

So many good guns and you can change your loadout and playstyle so easily when you have a bigger backpack with lots of weapon slots!

CozMick

Banned
I have been hesitant to buy this game since launch due to Gamespy running the servers and totally fucking up the voice chat on PS3.

But after seeing the Game of the Year Edition in GAME for £19.99 I'm really tempted.

Did the voice chat problems ever get fixed?

Hypereides

Gold Member
CozMick said:
I have been hesitant to buy this game since launch due to Gamespy running the servers and totally fucking up the voice chat on PS3.

But after seeing the Game of the Year Edition in GAME for £19.99 I'm really tempted.

Did the voice chat problems ever get fixed?

I havent played the game in a while but Im contemplating to get back to it soon, so I dont know about the voice chat íssues... But for that price you might aswell buy it. Its a steal!

I think my game is glitched.

I'm trying to finish playthough 2. I get to the last boss and he's scaled 2 levels higher than me. I was level 53 and he was level 55. I leveled up to 54 and he became level 56. Is this suppose to happen? I thought the main game was capped at level 51.

I went to kill the Rakk Hive. His name was Ultimate Rakk Hive even though I haven't completed playthrough 2. When he tried to shake Rakks out, nothing came out. I stood on the cliff and killed him easily. He was also scaled 2 levels above me.

marathonfool said:
I think my game is glitched.

I'm trying to finish playthough 2. I get to the last boss and he's scaled 2 levels higher than me. I was level 53 and he was level 55. I leveled up to 54 and he became level 56. Is this suppose to happen? I thought the main game was capped at level 51.

I went to kill the Rakk Hive. His name was Ultimate Rakk Hive even though I haven't completed playthrough 2. When he tried to shake Rakks out, nothing came out. I stood on the cliff and killed him easily. He was also scaled 2 levels above me.

Not to my knowledge. The game has consistently scaled enemies to my character level. At level 68, Kyros was level 70.

The names change on all three play throughs. The Borderlands wikia has full details.

Why cap enemies below the player? That's. No fun.

Really interested in getting this game, but should I get the PS3 or 360 version? I'll probably play the split screen a lot but how's the online community? Gamespy server sucks?

Still no luck getting that SDU from the Lumberyard Claptrap.

Tried four times tonight. No luck on any of the tries. Have 40/39 items.

This is irking my autistic side as I want those extra storage slots and the related achievement at this point. FOR THE STORAGE! :p

SephirothRK said:
Really interested in getting this game, but should I get the PS3 or 360 version? I'll probably play the split screen a lot but how's the online community? Gamespy server sucks?

I picked it up on the PS3 and have had no problems whatsoever joining open games and partnering with a pale of mine.

parasight

Been a while since I played Borderlands. I missed the last 2 DLC expansions. I'm thinking of buying the GOTY for Mac (I have the PC version) but before I do I was wondering if the game supports cross-platform co-op between Windows and OS X.

Square Triangle said:
I picked it up on the PS3 and have had no problems whatsoever joining open games and partnering with a pale of mine.

This game is pretty fun, been playing 2 players local co op. I haven't tried going on yet. I'm trying to get a little further into the game before I do.

W1SSY

I have started to play borderlands again while home on break because I don't want to try Black Ops and have really been enjoying it. This is my first time playing the DLC and I played a good bit of Mad Moxxi with some random people. Then I went on to play Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. I didn't know about the brains not staying in my inventory so I ended up beating the main storyline and all I really have left in the DLC is the braaaaaains quest. I was so mad when I got the quest and found out the brains that I had been picking up for the past couple of hours did not count. Really want to try playing as Lilith but I don't have a high level character so I may have to slit screen power level one. I would love for Borderlands to announce a second one because I like the shooter/rpg elements.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Slayven said:
How is Borderlands on game length and replability? I am looking for a game that last me for a few months.
If you like loot-fests, it is both long and highly replayable. Many people including myself started new game + as soon as the game ended.

Slayven

Stallion Free said:
If you like loot-fests, it is both long and highly replayable. Many people including myself started new game + as soon as the game ended.
I was putting Borderlands over Scared 2 because of the FPS element

Goon Boon

Banned
I really wish they put more of a diablo battle.net type system in Borderlands 2, it would be great if there was both a secure online to prevent cheating and server side inventories.

Ourobolus

Banned
Slayven said:
How is Borderlands on game length and replability? I am looking for a game that last me for a few months.
I've played through the game once with each character (except Soldier), and I just double-dipped on Steam (I'm weak). As for one run through, the first time can take you probably...20-40 hours, give or take a little bit if you count the "2nd Playthrough" on that character with increased levels and better loot. After you know where everything is and the quickest way to do things, you'll breeze through the game in about 10-15. I think...I never really timed it.

Got this game today and was super excited to start playing... well, that's not happening...

I have way higher than the minimum specs, and I am I able to run most newer PC games at medium to high settings. Games like L4D2 and Starcraft 2 run fine on high settings, yet this game has an unplayable framerate on any settings. I even put everything to the absolute lowest, and I still have single digit frame rates.

I almost died on the tutorial fight, that's how bad it is. I take a step and have to wait a few seconds, and take another, and wait. Nothing I have tried has solved it, like I said, I even lowered all the settings to the absolute lowest, yet no increase at all in frame rate.

I'm downloading the latest patches, but if I can't run the thing, it's kind of disapointing. I really wanted to play this game.

Is there some sort of command or something I'm missing? I checked and Steam isn't running, nor is anything else.

I have 4GB of RAM... this shouldn't be running this poorly, especially since the fresh installed Batman: AA and Starcraft II run at medium/high settings just fine with basically no framerate issues at all, except in places you'd expect like several dozen men brawl or when the screen is filled to the brim with particles.

I feel like my Mordecai build is too weak or not properly balanced for solo play. It took me WAY too long to kill the destroyer yesterday, I keep running out of ammo when trying to re-kill Knoxx (going back to loot the armory), can't kill Crawmerax on my own and I haven't been able to clear the first round of the crimson lance circle of duty quest. My most powerful sniper rifle is level 55 (I'm 69) and I use rifles, smgs and pistols/repeaters as secondary.

Any tips? I'm a survivor build.

Also, is crawmerax's lair the best place to farm? I hate it because I can't do it solo and after that is such a mess with all the loot all over the place and I can't find a decent sniper rifle.

Halp!

FunkyPajamas said:
I feel like my Mordecai build is too weak or not properly balanced for solo play. It took me WAY too long to kill the destroyer yesterday, I keep running out of ammo when trying to re-kill Knoxx (going back to loot the armory), can't kill Crawmerax on my own and I haven't been able to clear the first round of the crimson lance circle of duty quest. My most powerful sniper rifle is level 55 (I'm 69) and I use rifles, smgs and pistols/repeaters as secondary.

Any tips? I'm a survivor build.

Also, is crawmerax's lair the best place to farm? I hate it because I can't do it solo and after that is such a mess with all the loot all over the place and I can't find a decent sniper rifle.

Halp!

I haven't taken on Crawmerax yet, but I had no problem with Knoxx. Just aim for the head and criticals will continue to interrupt him. Though you're playing a Sniper, so I shouldn't need to specify aim for the head. Not sure what "build" I have. I just did what I always do and added all points to sh*t that does damage:

9a8m4l.jpg

I was using an SMG and Repeater with high rate of fire (15) on Knoxx.

Massa

ezekial45 said:
Have they discounted the prices of the DLC packs yet?

There's a $30 bundle of all 4 (you save $10) on PSN.

Speaking of DLC, is it worth it? I just played the time trial for an hour and I'm hooked, but I'm deciding whether to buy the retail GOTY edition or just the $30 downloadable version (the GOTY edition would also cost $60 on PSN but if I'm spending the sixty I'd rather have the disk).

Massa said:
There's a $30 bundle of all 4 (you save $10) on PSN.

Speaking of DLC, is it worth it? I just played the time trial for an hour and I'm hooked, but I'm deciding whether to buy the retail GOTY edition or just the $30 downloadable version.

The only DLC I'm unimpressed by is Mad Moxxi's Underdome. It's really not that well thought out, a huge grindfest (more so than the rest of the game, it's actually kind of boring), and other DLC like Zombie Island and General Knoxx does the whole "Enduro challenge" thing a lot better.

Not to mention General Knoxx makes better use of the character of Moxxi.

Still, if the overall DLC bundle is a better deal; why the hell not? :D

Raide

The Take Out Bandit said:
The only DLC I'm unimpressed by is Mad Moxxi's Underdome. It's really not that well thought out, a huge grindfest (more so than the rest of the game, it's actually kind of boring), and other DLC like Zombie Island and General Knoxx does the whole "Enduro challenge" thing a lot better.

Not to mention General Knoxx makes better use of the character of Moxxi.

Still, if the overall DLC bundle is a better deal; why the hell not? :D

Yeah, the Moxxi DLC is more a nod the the Gears of War style Horde mode. The fact you really don't get anything apart from 2 more points and access to the bank, it really is the weakest part of the DLC. A fun diversion from the meat of the game but not great. Even Dr Zed beats it by a country mile.

Get em all!

Raide said:
Yeah, the Moxxi DLC is more a nod the the Gears of War style Horde mode. The fact you really don't get anything apart from 2 more points and access to the bank, it really is the weakest part of the DLC. A fun diversion from the meat of the game but not great. Even Dr Zed beats it by a country mile.

Get em all!

D'oh!

Sorry, I did forget about the Bank. That's really the only redeeming quality of Moxxi's DLC.

Although I do really enjoy Moxxi's commentary and the music is right up my alley (even if it looping blows chunks). :D

The Take Out Bandit said:
I haven't taken on Crawmerax yet, but I had no problem with Knoxx. Just aim for the head and criticals will continue to interrupt him. Though you're playing a Sniper, so I shouldn't need to specify aim for the head. Not sure what "build" I have. I just did what I always do and added all points to sh*t that does damage:

http://i52.tinypic.com/9a8m4l.jpg

I was using an SMG and Repeater with high rate of fire (15) on Knoxx.
Yeah, I do only criticals. At first I had a corrosive sniper but I found one so much better so I had to swap it (even though I still keep it around). My build is pretty much the same as yours except I no longer use smirk (since I reached the cap it doesn't make sense) and I don't have the one on the right of smirk (which increments reload speed and damage).

Instead I have this (shitty cam picture get!):
GvALU.jpg

Now something weird just happened... I fired up the game to take this screenshot and for some reason it seems the enemies are not really that powerful anymore. I was at 68 this morning and enemies were at 69 and they kept kicking my ass. So I joined a few games, went up to 69, enemies are still at 69 and now I can stand my ground (68 vs 69 shouldn't have been that much of a difference, right?). So odd. Also, out of nowhere a couple of quests which I'd already completed reappeared on my quest list.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your post!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
balladofwindfishes said:
Got this game today and was super excited to start playing... well, that's not happening...

I have way higher than the minimum specs, and I am I able to run most newer PC games at medium to high settings. Games like L4D2 and Starcraft 2 run fine on high settings, yet this game has an unplayable framerate on any settings. I even put everything to the absolute lowest, and I still have single digit frame rates.
Yeesh, I don't know. Did you try a reinstall? Was your AV scanning or something like that?

Anyone still playing Borderlands? I just picked it back up after stopping at level 20 when it was released. The GB guys talking about it made me want to play some more and maybe get the DLC.

If you want to do some co-op my GT is Larrabee123

I just finished Playthrough 2 on PC about 10 mins ago and did most of the DLC's. On Level 69, with some pretty sweet guns. Can't wait till Playthrough 3!

Top Bottom