• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Jayge

ashism said:
I cant recall what the kilt looked like. Anyone have a screen?
borderlands-20080716051430451.jpg

I have a feeling it would look way better with the new art style too.

JambiBum

I really love that one of my best friends runs a Gamestop. Even though he's not supposed to he opens the store up at midnight for me so that I can get games that I can't wait for. Did it for Brutal Legend and now he's doing it for Borderlands.

Also, these streams are really brutal to watch. Just makes me want the game even more.

Technoob

Banned
old artstyle is so freaking generic. Did anyone else notice that in the old video (see the op) there were only 3 characters? Seems like brick was maybe the last addition, since he doesn't appear there, but mord, roland and lilith do.

Jonsoncao

Banned
God's Beard said:
After watching these feeds, I moved some points around to make Roland a little more practical.

Passive abilities:
+60% magazine size
+15% weapon damage

Active abilities(activates when killing an enemy):
+30% fire rate
+75% recoil reduction
+04% shield restoration per second
+03% grenade damage
+02 grenades generated per minute

Turret abilities:
+35% damage
+05 shots fired per burst
+05 ammo regeneration rate for nearby players
+05% health regeneration per second for nearby players
Rocket fired every 8 seconds
No cooldown period(holy shit)

Larger clips + faster, stronger bullets + low recoil + health/shields/ammo regen FTW

It's possible to have assault rifles with over 200% clip size and no recoil, but I felt that there were better ways to spend points. The main thing is that the turret, although a powerful tool, is best used as a tool, not the main way to kill.
pure awesomeness, thanks I ll stick with this! :D

Shoogoo

Technoob said:
old artstyle is so freaking generic. Did anyone else notice that in the old video (see the op) there were only 3 characters? Seems like brick was maybe the last addition, since he doesn't appear there, but mord, roland and lilith do.

Yep initially there were only 3 characters.

Kobe

Banned
Why no info on the female that talks to you when you first start the game? The girl is beautiful! What's the actress name?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shoogoo said:
Yep initially there were only 3 characters.

Brick was revealed by way of unveiling the new art style. Here's the cover of PCgamer that did it:
350mq7a.jpg

And here's the original original Mordercai next to his new incarnation
thank god they switched this jesus christ
2wezc0j.jpg

Aptos

For anyone who has an early copy:

When you're in an Xbox LIVE co-op game, why aren't your gamertags above your head? Only the game creator has their gamertag above their head and anyone else who joins has their character's name (e.g. Roland, Lilith, etc.) above their head. What gives?

Example: PlayerA creates a game and is playing as Lilith. PlayerB and PlayerC join his game as Roland and Brick, respectively. PlayerA will have "PlayerA" (his gamertag) above his head in-game (when viewed by PlayerB or PlayerC), while PlayerB and PlayerC will have "Roland" and "Brick" above their heads, instead of their gamertags.

Sebulon3k said:
4 Pack on steam is 33.75 per person if you can find a group still doing that

How long does that deal last? I have me and another person who want to buy it, and we're 90% certain we want it, but want to wait for the reviews to drop.

Mr. Snrub said:
How long does that deal last? I have me and another person who want to buy it, and we're 90% certain we want it, but want to wait for the reviews to drop.
I'll join in if you want . . . I'm interested.

Oh . . . the deal will probably end soon:

$149.97 $134.97
Pre-Purchase Borderlands - Four Pack

Includes four copies of Borderlands - Send the extra copies to your friends and be ready to jump in 4-player co-op when the game releases.

Terrifyer

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:

The 4 pack deal will last forever, although right now as pre-order you get an additional 10% off. For example L4D is still available as a 4 pack.

Here is a good deal . . . for Canadians:

Much like Batman: Arkham Asylum's sale price during its initial release, Canadian retailers are giving players a break with the upcoming shooter Borderlands. For a limited time, Futureshop, Walmart and Best Buy are offering the Gearbox title for the discounted price of $39.96 on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Borderlands hits stores on October 20, giving Canadians plenty of time to dig out of their snow covered homes.

Mr. Snrub said:
AFAIK Steam preorder deals always last up until the day of release, so you've got some time.

I'm in the exact same boat, actually... I have to check with a couple of friends, but I might be back here Monday or Tuesday looking for a few more 4-packers.

Anyone know when we can expect to start seeing reviews from the major outlets?

Brannon

Let us take this time to thank Infinity Ward and Activision for what will no doubt be a new influx of people wanting to get in on the 4-pack Borderlands Steam action.

Thank you.

Your poor, your tired, your huddled masses of useless MW2 servers, we will take them here!

Looks like we got people coming from the PC MW2 thread over here now. Like I said in the other thread that I feel bad for you PC gamers. Other than that, get Borderlands, the game will be great.

Jayge

I saw someone say that Brandon would be broadcasting again at 10 PM EST. I'm looking forward to it :lol

Does anyone know if the pre-order guns are actually any good?

Jayge said:
I saw someone say that Brandon would be broadcasting again at 10 PM EST. I'm looking forward to it :lol

Sweet, will watch his stream again, it was pretty funny last night.

Also, no clue if the guns are good or not, I figure they'll be decent but you will find better ones easily. May be more of a good get up and go gun pack to get you started.

Jayge said:

They are purples (epics) that should last you through the beginning levels is what I heard.

I have an extremely important question: If you put all 5 points in a skill, and then get a class mod that raises it, what happens?

Also, I really really hate Brick's cartoon legs. This is what a bodybuilder looks like:

28hzeaw.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
God's Beard said:
I have an extremely important question: If you put all 5 points in a skill, and then get a class mod that raises it, what happens?
Good Question.
Mikey Jr. said:
Do you know of any other games that got around an 86%? Just wanna know what their definition of an 86 is.
Code:
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)   	12/01/07  	Review  	85/100

TheFallen

God's Beard said:

Also, I really really hate Brick's cartoon legs. This is what a bodybuilder looks like:
They stack. Brick doesn't bother me, as long the game sticks to oddball proportions I think it's fine. And it does.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheFallen said:
They stack. Brick doesn't bother me, as long the game sticks to oddball proportions I think it's fine. And it does.
Did you watch a high leveled stream to find this out?

Also I've tweaked my Roland build to what I think is optimal.

Before: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000005505555550005
After: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000005505515353305

I wonder if Overload affects revolver type guns... Or if you would need a magazine based sniper rifle/pistol to get the benefit from it.

Jayge

Hazaro said:
Did you watch a high leveled stream to find this out?

Before: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000005505555550005
After: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000005505515353305

I wonder if Overload affects revolver type guns... Or if you would need a magazine based sniper rifle/pistol to get the benefit from it.
I'm pretty sure one of the Justin streamers had a class mod that gave him some points in Loaded on Mordecai before he actually unlocked it and it worked with both mag- and revolver-based snipers, take that as you will.

Hazaro said:

"Increases magazine capacity with all weapon types." I'm going to be so pissed if it doesn't round up though. Turning a 1-shot rocket launcher into a 2-shot would be awesome.

Also, it's weird how different our builds are. mine's a rushdown killer while you've got some kind of defensive tank.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
God's Beard said:
"Increases magazine capacity with all weapon types." I'm going to be so pissed if it doesn't round up though. Turning a 1-shot rocket launcher into a 2-shot would be awesome.

Also, it's weird how different our builds are. mine's a rushdown killer while you've got some kind of defensive tank.
Increases magazine capacity. I know I'm being specific, but given Borderlands attitude I hope you are right.

Anyone interested in specing Roland for turret cooldown here is this fancy chart:
Hit every 7 seconds:
Code:
     R e f i r e
    |   0     |   1     |   2     |   3     |   4     |   5
  --+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------
D  0| 100     |  85     |  72     |  64     |  56     |  50
e  1|  83 1/3 |  71 2/3 |  63 1/3 |  56     |  50     |  43 1/3
p  2|  71 3/7 |  62 5/7 |  55 5/7 |  50     |  43     |  39 2/7
l  3|  62 1/2 |  55 5/8 |  50     |  43 3/4 |  40     |  36 1/8
o  4|  55 5/9 |  50     |  44 4/9 |  40 5/9 |  36 1/9 |  33 1/3
y  5|  50     |  45     |  41     |  37     |  34     |  30
Hit every 2 seconds (maximum possible)
Code:
     R e f i r e
x=2 |   0     |   1     |   2     |   3     |   4     |   5
D  0| 100     |  60     |  40     |  28     |  20     |  15
e  1|  83 1/3 |  52 2/3 |  36 1/3 |  26     |  18 1/3 |  12 2/3
p  2|  71 3/7 |  47 1/7 |  32 6/7 |  24 1/7 |  17 1/7 |  12 1/7
l  3|  62 1/2 |  42 1/2 |  30     |  22 1/8 |  16 1/8 |  12 1/8
o  4|  55 5/9 |  38 3/9 |  28 1/9 |  20 5/9 |  15 5/9 |  11 1/3
y  5|  50     |  36     |  27     |  20     |  15     |  11
Hinges said:
I have noticed that when the Refire bonus is activated every 7 seconds, both skills seem to reduce the time taken by approximately the same amount per rank (Just look at that diagonal of 50s!). It seems plausible that testing revealed that 7 seconds was the average time between Refire bonuses for an average player, so the talents were balanced to have roughly the same value - the upshot is, that if you think you can activate the Refire bonus more than once every seven seconds, go for Refire, and if not, Deploy. Though of course, you could pile points into both and see how close you can get to that 11 second cooldown!

Time to move 2 points out from Deploy and into caut/revive (Maybe even forgo aid station since health seems to not be a big factor from vids I have seen so far, plus I have other means to heal)
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000005505315055505

Hazaro said:
Anyone interested in specing Roland for turret cooldown here is this fancy chart:

Hit every 2 seconds (maximum possible)
Code:
     R e f i r e
x=2 |   0     |   1     |   2     |   3     |   4     |   5
D  0| 100     |  60     |  40     |  28     |  20     |  15
e  1|  83 1/3 |  52 2/3 |  36 1/3 |  26     |  18 1/3 |  12 2/3
p  2|  71 3/7 |  47 1/7 |  32 6/7 |  24 1/7 |  17 1/7 |  12 1/7
l  3|  62 1/2 |  42 1/2 |  30     |  22 1/8 |  16 1/8 |  12 1/8
o  4|  55 5/9 |  38 3/9 |  28 1/9 |  20 5/9 |  15 5/9 |  11 1/3
y  5|  50     |  36     |  27     |  20     |  15     |  11

Time to move 2 points out from Deploy and into caut/revive (Maybe even forgo aid station since health seems to not be a big factor from vids I have seen so far, plus I have other means to heal)
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000005505315055505

Wait, what the fuck? Level 5 Deploy says 100% cooldown reduction, why is that chart at 50%?

Jayge

Here's what I was considering for a Roland build and a Mordecai build. I tailored it to what I'm pretty sure my play-style will be from everything I have watched and read. Suggestions are appreciated. I'm not very confident in Mordecai's, I may just screw the gunslinger tree entirely.

Roland: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01550500025050503550000

Mordecai: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11500550350505025005000
No Gunslinger tree: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11500550550555050000000

sh4mike

God's Beard said:
Wait, what the fuck? Level 5 Deploy says 100% cooldown reduction, why is that chart at 50%?
Because you fail to differentiate between "cooldown reduction +100%" and "cooldown reduction 100%."

You've made other errors in your uber-build blabber that I don't feel like correcting.

Jayge said:
Here's what I was considering for a Roland build and a Mordecai build. I tailored it to what I'm pretty sure my play-style will be from everything I have watched and read. Suggestions are appreciated. I'm not very confident in Mordecai's, I may just screw the gunslinger tree entirely.

Roland: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01550500025050503550000

Roland seems pretty good, but I'd move the 5 points from Defense and Fitness into something else. they're not really tangible advantages. Personally, I'd go 1 each into Grenadier and Guided Missile, and the remaining 3 into Quick Charge. Quick Charge would be much better at healing than Defense, since any time you're trying to recharge you'd probably be behind cover anyway.

sh4mike said:
Because you fail to differentiate between "cooldown reduction +100%" and "cooldown reduction 100%."

You've made other errors in your uber-build blabber that I don't feel like correcting.

Please do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jayge said:

Very interesting builds. If you're gonna snipe I'd say go with no gunslinger. Focus really is pretty uber.

sh4mike said:

Um, could you explain that distinction to me? Preferably with, you know, civility.

EDIT: In fact, please use charts and other visual aids. I'm not getting it. Even if these are the two ways you can interpret it:
1. Take whatever your starting cooldown is, get a percentage of that, and subtract it from your total cooldown
2. Reduce your current cooldown by this percentage

Seems like the resulting numbers would only be different if your starting cooldown wasn't 100... but it is.

sh4mike said:

wow dude, really?

Aesius

sh4mike said:

You sound like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory :lol

Jayge

Hawkian said:
Very interesting builds. If you're gonna snipe I'd say go with no gunslinger. Focus really is pretty uber.
Yeah, I intend to try and snipe as much as I can, and I tried focusing on skills that benefited sniping and other weapon classes as much as possible for the inevitable close-range fighting that will have to occur. I think I'm confident in rolling Mordecai as my first character now. I like focus too, but Trespass is fucking ridiculous :lol

MMaRsu said:
Any stream going on? Wouldn't mind watching some gameplay now
http://www.justin.tv/s1ayer
http://www.justin.tv/competitiveonline
http://www.justin.tv/numbartist
http://www.justin.tv/ambiient

I think these are all currently Live.

Top Bottom