• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
God's Beard said:
Roland seems pretty good, but I'd move the 5 points from Defense and Fitness into something else. they're not really tangible advantages. Personally, I'd go 1 each into Grenadier and Guided Missile, and the remaining 3 into Quick Charge. Quick Charge would be much better at healing than Defense, since any time you're trying to recharge you'd probably be behind cover anyway.

Please do.
Each second that passes gives +1 to the cooldown. +100% will give +2 every second which means it will recharge in 50 seconds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jayge said:
but Trespass is fucking ridiculous
I think these are all currently Live.

Yeah maxed Trespass is one of the sickest skills I've ever seen, I'm just not rolling a sniper.

Ambiient is currently rocking Amish Paradise and thus beats all others.

Also that auto-double-barreled shotty is making me drool.

EDIT: Thank you Hazaro! And you managed to do it without being a dick.

MMaRsu

Jayge said:
Yeah, I intend to try and snipe as much as I can, and I tried focusing on skills that benefited sniping and other weapon classes as much as possible for the inevitable close-range fighting that will have to occur. I think I'm confident in rolling Mordecai as my first character now. I like focus too, but Trespass is fucking ridiculous :lol

http://www.justin.tv/s1ayer
http://www.justin.tv/competitiveonline
http://www.justin.tv/numbartist
http://www.justin.tv/ambiient

I think these are all currently Live.

Hawk and Jayge thanks :)

kamspy

The videos sorta look like the console version run at 60fps.

Anyone know?

Any word on 360/PS3 superiority? I have more friends on my PS3 list than my 360 who are into this game. I'm also already in on a Steam 4 pack for PC.

Just wonderin about any console specifics. I know Gearbox hasn't had the best luck with the PS3 hardware (BIA:HH anyone?)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
elrechazao said:
has this been posted?
And giffed :lol
11t8j6p.gif

I went through Blur, then Alpha Protocol...and while I thought I'd pick up Borderlands down the track, auspiciously those two got shifted - and for the better, I reckon. Bring on Borderlands.

EDIT: While I'm thinking about, I want to pose a question. I'm getting the US version of Borderlands on PS3, simply because it's coming from Play-Asia. Now, I've got an Australian PSN account. When the DLC becomes available, do you think there would be any problem in using the US version with the Australian DLC? I only bring this up because I can't use the Killzone 2 DLC from the Aussie PSN with my Japanese KZ2 version.

Any thoughts, gents?

Phthisis

This game is fuckawesome. It pulls the best elements of both genres together so well. Can't believe there hasn't been a game like this before. It seems so obvious now.

Hazaro said:
Each second that passes gives +1 to the cooldown. +100% will give +2 every second which means it will recharge in 50 seconds.
So basically Deploy is useless. Sigh...

New spec for anybody that was copying me earlier.

Passive abilities:
+60% magazine size
+15% weapon damage
+04 second turret cooldown per 2 seconds of fire

Active abilities(activates when killing an enemy):
+30% fire rate
+75% recoil reduction
+04% shield restoration per second
+06% grenade damage
+03 grenades generated per minute

Turret abilities:
+35% damage
+05 shots fired per burst
+05 ammo regeneration rate for nearby players
+05% health regeneration per second for nearby players
Rocket fired every 8 seconds

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How is it useless? With it maxed you only have to hit 50 seconds; maxed deploy and refire means you could spawn one every 10 seconds in a heated battle, right?

Nonetheless I shall be frequently retreating to your turret for mad heals 'n ammo. :)

Also

This game is fuckawesome. It pulls the best elements of both genres together so well. Can't believe there hasn't been a game like this before. It seems so obvious now.

It has seemed obvious to me since I first beat Diablo, 11 years ago. Just took that long for a decent company to put one together :'(

Hawkian said:
How is it useless? With it maxed you only have to hit 50 seconds; maxed deploy and refire means you could spawn one every 10 seconds in a heated battle, right?

Nonetheless I shall be frequently retreating to your turret for mad heals 'n ammo. :)

It's only useful in conjunction with Refire, and that's a waste of extra points that could go to better skills, especially how little difference it makes. Level 4 Refire(down to 20 seconds) is enough for me If there's no way to eliminate cooldown. It also makes it easier to focus on an all-around skill path early on if I'm not rushing to hit deploy by 16.

Swag

Watching the stalker stream and just saw that they have
Audio Logs!
I love it when games include them, adds to the overall feel that your actually in a world populated by other people.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God's Beard said:
Oops, stick that baby in Guided Missile.

...why does that sound so suggestive?

GAF must be getting to me.

EDIT: On a serious note, that is so worth it. Another point in guided missile only brings it down to 7 seconds, so if you aren't maxing it just sticking with 1 point is all you need.

I'm not sure if 50 seconds versus 100 seconds of unassisted cooldown is such a negligible difference, but you're right that refire is probably a better way to spend your cash if you're gonna be killing things. Though that did just make me think- it's probably worthwhile to max if you go full medic, because refire won't be activated as much and your turret will be like a mobile safe spot/healing station. Also I just realized grenadier lets you regenerate grenades. Roland is boom in a box.

Hawkian said:
Also I just realized grenadier lets you regenerate grenades. Roland is boom in a box.

Yeah, I'm really suprised more people haven't been adding a point or two in grenadier. It's such a huge advantage. Do any of the other classes have grenade regen?

TheFallen

God's Beard said:
Yeah, I'm really suprised more people haven't been adding a point or two in grenadier. It's such a huge advantage. Do any of the other classes have grenade regen?
Iirc Brick can regen rockets for his rocket launchers, but grenade regen is Roland's unique ability.

sh4mike

This guy is getting pretty far -- newer, more civilized areas. Spoilers to be sure.

http://www.justin.tv/s1ayer

God's Beard -- sorry for busting your balls. Enjoy the pre-game discussion. Watching other people play while I wait has put me in a bad mood of late.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am weak willed but am at least limiting myself only to early stage streams.

But:

sh4mike said:
Watching other people play while I wait
has put me in a bad mood of late.

Poetic and my thoughts exactly. Can't believe stores broke the street date for this in such a widespread way nor that the PC launch is still 10 days from now :(

Also:

I already posted this but: http://www.justin.tv/clip/28124e31cbd39efb
I think that "LEGENDARYYYYYYYYYYEAAAAASS!!!!" is psuedomemeworthy.

And: http://www.justin.tv/clip/1e3e8c99a7c1da39
Dali would be proud.

I have about 20 hours into the game. 10 hours with Brick and 10 hours with Mordaci. Shoot me some questions if you want.

This is easily my GOTY.
No, I havent played Uncharted 2 yet

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
SNUG REVOL said:
I have about 20 hours into the game. 10 hours with Brick and 10 hours with Mordaci. Shoot me some questions if you want.

This is easily my GOTY.

You play co-op yet? I want to know how the netcode is.

sh4mike

SNUG REVOL said:
Shoot me some questions if you want.
1) How well is Brick's melee damage (with/without Berserk) scaling with guns? Higher DPS given the risk, hopefully.
2) Any difference in movement speed between the characters?
3) Percentage unbuffed health gap between characters at same level?

Eric WK

Have to stop watching streams. I'm going to bed because it means Monday night will be here quicker. :lol

I really haven't been this hyped for a game in a long, long time.

Prezhulio

SNUG REVOL said:

This is easily my GOTY.

what level are you at after 10 hours?

edit: nvm you said 360 earlier

Wallach

I'd also like to know how Brick holds up in melee. A pure DPS melee build seems interesting in a party dynamic. Side spec in tank so you don't get completely mowed going in (as well as picking up that tasty damage bonus when you lose shields).

Decado

As a FPS it looks pretty weak. AI seems dumb and the shooting elements seem lacking. What's the draw of this game again? A bunch of randomly generated weapons?

Decado said:
As a FPS it looks pretty weak. AI seems dumb and the shooting elements seem lacking. What's the draw of this game again? A bunch of randomly generated weapons?

We don' take kindly te your kinda folk 'round here.

Seriously though, keep watching the live streams to get more of a taste. It's finding that next awesome gun and leveling up your skills. Similar to any loot game, except the grind here is much more action-packed.

Blizzard

Banned
Decado said:
I watched a couple of videos tonight and I'm really tempted to try to get in on a Steam 4-pack. 8GB download, but no SecuROM.

My concerns, which maybe some of you can help with:

1. How did people get this game so early? I haven't been following the news. Are the streams people pirating it, or just getting it from stores?

2. It's free to play online for co-op, on PC, as I understand. But is it going to be the type of game where there's no modding and custom maps, and the main game is like 6 hours, and then most of the replay value comes from buying a bunch of different DLC packs? I'd prefer not to buy DLC.

3. For that matter, how long is the game, and is there any multiplayer to provide replay value?

Phthisis

Blizzard said:
1. How did people get this game so early? I haven't been following the news. Are the streams people pirating it, or just getting it from stores?

Store near my house had the console versions. 2K shipped it on Thursday to retailers it looks like.

After playing for nearly 6 hours or so, this is easily one of my favorite games so far this year. The gun audio is so good, it makes dropping enemies satisfying as hell.

Domino Theory said:
You play co-op yet? I want to know how the netcode is.

Nope. Sorry. Silver Account. :(

Hawkian said:
Can you change the controls?

Don't care so much myself, but I've heard consolites ask.

Watching the GameCocks right now. I'll check out the options after the game.

sh4mike said:
1) How well is Brick's melee damage (with/without Berserk) scaling with guns? Higher DPS given the risk, hopefully.
2) Any difference in movement speed between the characters?
3) Percentage unbuffed health gap between characters at same level?

1. Depends...if you put points towards his Berserk skill, hes a freak. Otherwise his standard melee attacks do quite a bit more damage than Mordaci's

2. I think so. Brick was noticeably slower while carrying a rocket launcher.

3. I made Brick into a tank. So when I left off with him he had close to 600 health. Right now my Mordaci is around 220 with some shield boosts.

Prezhulio said:
what level are you at after 10 hours?

Both characters around level 17. I've done quite a few side missions and farmed alot of skags :D

Wallach said:
I'd also like to know how Brick holds up in melee. A pure DPS melee build seems interesting in a party dynamic. Side spec in tank so you don't get completely mowed going in (as well as picking up that tasty damage bonus when you lose shields).

If you put points towards Brick berserk skill, you could defiantly play primarily with melee. Maybe not early on but I didnt put many points toward berserk.

Also, I DID NOT PIRATE THIS GAME. Playing on 360 final retail disc. Local Meijer broke the street date.

Blizzard

Banned
Phthisis said:
Store near my house had the console versions. 2K shipped it on Thursday to retailers it looks like.

After playing for nearly 6 hours or so, this is easily one of my favorite games so far this year. The gun audio is so good, it makes dropping enemies satisfying as hell.
Thanks. I'll keep waiting to see if anyone weighs in on game length, and whether buying DLC will be a focus for replay, or whether co-op/multiplayer/modding will be options. :)

And if I end up getting it, I'll want to hunt for people for the $34 PC deal. Is the co-op thread the best place to do that?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:
multireplayer valuetron?

I don't know if you played Diablo multiplayer, but much of the replay value came not from partaking of the main quest or replaying it at a higher difficultly (though those were options and are again in Borderlands), but from doing "loot runs" of bosses or areas that are known to have particuarly good drops- in doing so leveling up your character and coming closer to finding that next piece of epic gear for your character. This, I imagine, will keep me occupied during and probably long after I beat the main quests (at least the first time).

You can also duel anytime anywhere in the world (complete with instant battledome), and there is also from what I hear somewhat organized competitive multiplayer in arenas that require all participants to be decently high levels.

Hey Snug, what is your #1 favorite weapon so far? :D

Rahk

Blizzard said:
2. It's free to play online for co-op, on PC, as I understand. But is it going to be the type of game where there's no modding and custom maps, and the main game is like 6 hours, and then most of the replay value comes from buying a bunch of different DLC packs? I'd prefer not to buy DLC.

3. For that matter, how long is the game, and is there any multiplayer to provide replay value?
I'm not sure about modding and custom maps, but one playthrough won't be enough to level up to 50. Once you finish it, there's a new game+ mode with leveled up enemies. I believe 120 hours is the number being thrown around for two full playthroughs and completing all the side quests.

The DLC is probably there for people that really enjoy it and want more.

Blizzard

Banned
I guess I'll try to find people for the Steam package, then. I'll post in the co-op thread in the online forum if anyone else wants to join.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Props for Terrifyer, got in on a 4 pack and went smoothly.
Damn you. I just PMed him but I guess I'm too late. :lol

Any others wanna get in on a PC fourpack? I'll organize it. If I can get 3 more to paypal me, I'll do the deal. PM me.

Edit: Filled!

Is there voice communication support?

Phthisis

dreamer3kx said:
Is the game meant to be played in coop, because it looks pretty cool but im not a big online player.

I played both local co-op and single player today. I like them both. Local co-op is definitely not ideal as the screen is too small for the menus (meaning you have to navigate them with the right stick to see what the hell you're doing). Single-player has been a blast so far.

Game reminds me of some weird bastard love child of Fallout 3 and BioShock.

Top Bottom