• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Swag

Has there been info on how the arena aspect of the game works? Stuff like max player size and different modes playable

sh4mike

How useful is crouching, Snug? Helps sniper sway, gun recoil, and smaller target for enemies to hit? Pretty much always crouch if not moving while shooting?

Or is crouch more for ducking behind cover?

Prezhulio

Sebulon3k said:
Has there been info on how the arena aspect of the game works? Stuff like max player size and different modes playable

the newest invisible walls podcast on gametrailers shows footage of the arena during their discussion of borderlands.

looks like you just respawn in the arena after a death with full health, as opposed to the on-the-fly duel where you keep your health down and everything. supposedly there's some level of customization to the actual fights but i haven't read/seen specifics.

SNUG REVOL said:
This bad boy right here :D
borderlandsgun1.jpg

borderlandsgun2.jpg

Here are the control options...

controls1.jpg

controls2.jpg

controls3.jpg

controls4.jpg

Quoting for the new page...

sh4mike

Snug -- what's the star that pops into the bottom right-hand corner? I believe it means any bonuses for killing an enemy are active. It seems to last 9 seconds, which is longer than I expected, making those skill types more valuable.

Is it the same duration for all skills of that type?

God's Beard said:
Yo SNUG, have you tried using a class mod that adds to a skill you already have maxed?

I'm not really familiar with class mods yet. I just unlocked one at level 17.

sh4mike said:
How useful is crouching, Snug? Helps sniper sway, gun recoil, and smaller target for enemies to hit? Pretty much always crouch if not moving while shooting?

Or is crouch more for ducking behind cover?

For Mordicai it seems to reduce sniper sway quite a bit after each shot. I've done a lot more crouching with Mordicai because of the way he is meant to be played.

sh4mike said:
Snug -- what's the star that pops into the bottom right-hand corner? I believe it means any bonuses for killing an enemy are active. It seems to last 9 seconds, which is longer than I expected, making those skill types more valuable.

Is it the same duration for all skills of that type?

lol, not sure. I havent bothered with the manual. All I know is that when I shoot things with that 2 shot magnum they pretty much always explode :lol

I've been peeking in the streams every now and then, and I really only have two questions.

1. Does the environment EVER change? I've yet to see anything but outdoors kinda desert areas.

2. Seems all that exists in the world is various kinds of psychos with masks and weird alien dogs. I hope theres more than that?

A couple quick things I noticed...

-Vehicles controls just like Halo. It seems like there are only 2 seats, Driver and Gunner. You get FAR less XP for killing enemies with a vehicle though. I mean ALOT less. Running over an alpha skag with a vehicle might get you 20xp or so compared to 300 to 600 xp. Depending on your level.

-Suicidal shotgun midgets can eat a dick :(

Snapshot King said:
I've been peeking in the streams every now and then, and I really only have two questions.

1. Does the environment EVER change? I've yet to see anything but outdoors kinda desert areas.

2. Seems all that exists in the world is various kinds of psychos with masks and weird alien dogs. I hope theres more than that?

1. Yea they do.... :D Day and night cycles as well.

2. Dont worry about the variations of enemies. Especially the bosses :D :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SNUG REVOL said:
1. Yea they do.... :D Day and night cycles as well.

2. Dont worry about the variations of enemies. Especially the bosses :D :D
I heard it was 15 minutes, but that never seems to be the case in the streams I watched. What is it?

Also, have some neat guns. (Yes it fires bullets in a spiral, useful? Probably not.)
2q8biop.jpg

992yie.jpg

1z2inhw.jpg

daebo

elrechazao said:
ugh, so pissed I moved to a place without a meijer recently. All of the leaks seem to be coming from there :D

That's okay... I tried like hell to convince Meier to sell it to me earlier today. :lol I was all like "you're other stores are doing it so it's okay if you do too."

I failed :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Goddamn. Nice to see such awesome looking weapons with under level 20 reqs. Waannnnt noooow.

EDIT: Tediore has some really awesome looking weapons. I'd really like to see some shots of how each manufacturer's guns differ visually. I wonder, are there pics of these in the strategy guide?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
the amount of space it takes up when installed is about 3.5GB.

From the same person, he said it also decreases the load time by a noticeable amount
I noticed loading small areas was around 9 seconds with no install. Not sure on the big map.

Also the Brady guide is 384 pages and has a ton of info in it. $13.50 from amazon, or $20 elsewhere.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Uh? Guy in gametrailers says that enemies level up in low level areas as you do? He doesn't seem to really know it's for sure... I think maybe you get more "badass" variants of low level enemies when you're higher leveled? The other guy (who hasn't played it) says "that's one thing I do not like about rpgs" ...

Hawkian said:
Uh? Guy in gametrailers says that enemies level up in low level areas as you do? He doesn't seem to really know it's for sure... I think maybe you get more "badass" variants of low level enemies when you're higher leveled? The other guy (who hasn't played it) says "that's one thing I do not like about rpgs" ...

Yeah they were a bit confused in that discussion. I think what he meant was that the enemies level up with you in the sense that you naturally go to zones with higher level dudes as you level up, since they were contrasting it with oblivion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
elrechazao said:
Yeah they were a bit confused in that discussion. I think what he meant was that the enemies level up with you in the sense that you naturally go to zones with higher level dudes as you level up, since they were contrasting it with oblivion.

The other guys in the discussion totally misunderstood him. He even mentions Fallout 3 as in "if you go wander out you can find some guys and just stand no chance," but I'm pretty sure I have heard you can do exactly that, complete with icon indicating "THIS CREATURE IS LIKELY TO KICK YOUR ASS."

Hawkian said:

They do level up. But so far they stay about 3-6 levels below yours. I'm level 17 and the skags in the first area are now levels 10-15. I can cut through those little bastards with ease. :D

EDIT: Just went back to the first area again. Skags are still around levels 1-5. I can melee those little pricks with Mordicai!

It seems to vary depending on the area.

Hawkian said:
The other guys in the discussion totally misunderstood him. He even mentions Fallout 3 as in "if you go wander out you can find some guys and just stand no chance," but I'm pretty sure I have heard you can do exactly that, complete with icon indicating "THIS CREATURE IS LIKELY TO KICK YOUR ASS."

Yup, if you venture off to an area you arent ready for....YOU WILL BE KILLED. lol

SNUG REVOL said:
They do level up. But so far they stay about 3-6 levels below yours. I'm level 17 and the skags in the first area are now levels 10-15. I can cut through those little bastards with ease. :D

Interesting, maybe it's a happy medium between everything leveling with you perfectly, and getting 0 exp for stomping lvl 5 guys at level 20?

elrechazao said:
Interesting, maybe it's a happy medium between everything leveling with you perfectly, and getting 0 exp for stomping lvl 5 guys at level 20?

Seems so...

I just went back and killed the first boss.(Killed him in 2 shots with that revolver :D) I got 19xp. The first time I killed him I received close to 4000 xp

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
elrechazao said:

SNUG REVOL said:
Seems so...

I just went back and killed the first boss.(Killed him in 2 shots with that revolver :D) I got 19xp. The first time I killed him I received close to 4000 xp

Well. Asked and answered. :lol

This is very interesting, I've never heard of a system like it implemented, shooter, RPG or otherwise.

If you can still own the low level enemies once you outclass them, that's all I really care about. 2-hit boss kills is exactly what I mean. :D

Thinking about it, maybe its purpose is that since they are closer to your level, killing even noob mobs still carries a (low) chance of getting a loot drop relevant to your level? Wonder.

EDIT: Just went back to the first area again. Skags are still around levels 1-5. I can melee those little pricks with Mordicai!

Pangloss said:
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Ledsen

I have a question about the co-op: If I join another persons game, will the missions I clear with him still be cleared when I play single player? Saints Row 2 did this, and it's basically a deal breaker for me if it's not in since I want to be able to play through the whole game with a friend but still be able to fuck around in single player in between sessions, without having to replay missions I've already finished.

Hawkian said:
Thinking about it, maybe its purpose is that since they are closer to your level, killing even noob mobs still carries a (low) chance of getting a loot drop relevant to your level? Wonder.

Nah, the loot from these low level dudes suck. It really encourages you to take one tougher missions. The first boss for example. The weapon he drops after you kill him sucks statistically, but its still worth a decent amount of coin(Purple- rare item)

Zertez

Ledsen said:
I have a question about the co-op: If I join another persons game, will the missions I clear with him still be cleared when I play single player? Saints Row 2 did this, and it's basically a deal breaker for me if it's not in since I want to be able to play through the whole game with a friend but still be able to fuck around in single player in between sessions, without having to replay missions I've already finished.
Im not positive, because I havent played the game yet, so I could be wrong. By the description of co-op from GB quick look, you clear the quest for the persons game you joined, but not your own.

Ledsen

Zertez said:
Im not positive, because I havent played the game yet, so I could be wrong. By the description of co-op from GB quick look, you clear the quest for the persons game you joined, but not your own.

:/ I really hope you're wrong. The game synching was one of the best features of Saints Row 2 and absolutely required if you want to play the game mainly in co-op.

edit: Found this on the first page:

TheFallen said:
I made some FAQ additions that may clue you in. To summarize:

Singleplayer and Co-op player are virtually identical. The host of the co-op session sets the main quest line progress. Say you're still early in the main quest, but jump into a friend's game who's near the end. You may have a harder time killing foes that are higher level than you, but you still have your friend there who's much more skilled and can pick up the slack.

Main quest progress will only be saved if you're caught up to the host player. For this reason, you may want to host the game yourself and let your friend jump in so that you two may clear the quests leading up to his save point. Once you're caught up, both of you will be able to continue (and save) your main quest together.

Co-op play will always be a better experience in Borderlands. Items, experience, and everything else will be saved of course - regardless of who you choose to play with.

If you've played World of Warcraft, it works much like the quest system in that game. I hope that answers your question.

Fuck yes :D

Prezhulio

zedge said:
Do we know how the PS3 version of this game turned outÉ

the only thing we've heard is from a dev in chats the other night saying the ps3 renders @640 while the 360 is at 720 and there's a preview on gametrailers that shows some ps3 footage that looks fairly stable. didn't hear anything about framerate/tearing though. i asked about custom soundtracks in the chat and they said they weren't sure and to look on the gearbox forums, and i couldn't find anything there so i'm assuming it's not in.

Zertez

Ledsen said:
:/ I really hope you're wrong. The game synching was one of the best features of Saints Row 2 and absolutely required if you want to play the game mainly in co-op.

edit: Found this on the first page:

Fuck yes :D
Cool, sounds like the best of both worlds. You can use it, if you want to; but dont have to worry about clearing a bunch of quests prematurely, if you dont want to.

cmmart

Hawkian said:
EXTRAVASPLOSION!!!1 :lol

cool swag was to be had as well. cynthia and i got fun mouse pads, stickers, and t shirts.

she is over the moon about the swag. Hats off to Gearbox. Nice party with two free drinks, free parking, a playable build of the game, girls dancing in cages, and mix master mike. They really went above and beyond.

aegies

Ledsen said:

You can do missions you haven't received yet in co-op with higher level players if it's possible for you to accept that quest. Otherwise, no.

Phthisis

So I found a shotgun with a rotating revolver chamber and a scope. I am so confused.

Next they'll be giving me a rocket launcher with a silencer.

Prezhulio

Phthisis said:
So I found a shotgun with a rotating revolver chamber and a scope. I am so confused.

to be honest, it seems like there is an unusual amounts of weapons with revolver chambers being produced by the ai. no biggie.

Phthisis said:

Next they'll be giving me a rocket launcher with a silencer.
Well how else do you think they came up with 87 bazillion guns? Random combos of features.

Phthisis

speculawyer said:
Well how else do you think they came up with 87 bazillion guns? Random combos of features.

No, I know. I'm really enjoying the game. It's just weird when I go to iron sights with my shotty that I get a close up view of the upper left of some dude's head while he's standing like 2 inches in front of me.

Top Bottom